As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Brigador] Junglestrike and Mechwarrior 3050 in the Modern Era. Game is out now!

NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
edited June 2016 in Games and Technology
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gh581sMvW3g

http://store.steampowered.com/app/274500/

Just like the title says, this is a callback to the old isometric campaign maps of the SNES era. You play as a brigador, a one man contract army that's just barely justified in committing warcrimes. Seriously, there are so many civilians on these maps and collateral is inevitable, sometimes encouraged.

Unlike the original SNES games, you have great freedom in customizing your war machine, from the chassis, main gun, secondary gun, and the evasion ability of it.

With the chassis, you get walkers, tanks, hovercraft, which affect your mobility and even how quickly you bring your weapons to bear. tanks and hovercraft are pretty nimble and can boost, but a walker can step on things with a big ol' fuck you stompquake. Weapons range from missiles, to howitzers, experimental lasers, shotguns, and more. Defense abilities range from active camoflage, chaff, smoke, reactive shielding and a few others I can't remember.

You want to complete your contract objectives fast, because as you commit atrocities and burn down more of the suburbs or industrial sector, the planetary defense force will call in a greater response to get rid of you.

As of this post, the game will be out this week in early access. I played it at PAX, and it was pretty dang fun. It works best as a KBAM setup due to the mouse precision aiming. I'm sure there was also controller support, but I took KBAM at PAX.

I think the dev said 15$, but I could be mistaken. Regardless, this is a purchase for me. Stompy robit fans and quasi legal war criminals unite!

Brigador has launched on June 2, 2016. The game is $19.99 US, and if you get the OST with it, its $29.99

a4irovn5uqjp.png
Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
NotoriusBEN on

• Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    You had me at warcrimes.

Not really, you had me at "old isometric campaign maps of the SNES era", and the synth music sealed the deal. The warcrimes are just a bonus.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    All the people I have seen talking about this have been pretty positive, and the devs seem like decent guys from what little I have seen. Something about them pulling it from steam briefly instead of releasing it before they considered it ready for early access?

• TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    So I guess this comes out today.

• Lord_MordjaLord_Mordja Registered User regular
    Yes it did, and it's hella good.

• BasticleBasticle Registered User regular
    This game is awesome and its worth mentioning that all DLC (map packs, maybe ships/guns?) are going to be free. Also a map editor is coming.

steam_sig.png
  • Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Have they fixed the tank movement?

I get that it's a "classic" thing, but it's hooooorribly outdated in the modern world of dual analog controls, and terribly unintuitive when you aren't actually in a tank.

• CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    This game is hard as balls.

EDIT - I can't complete the tutorial. Bravo.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
    Have they fixed the tank movement?

I get that it's a "classic" thing, but it's hooooorribly outdated in the modern world of dual analog controls, and terribly unintuitive when you aren't actually in a tank.

I think its very inuitive and easy to figure out in the mechs or tanks. I do not like using the Agravs however as the controls are a mess.

steam_sig.png
    The game was updated and they redid the tutorials from scratch. They're much more helpful and tell you in a few minutes what it took me a few hours to learn on my own.

steam_sig.png
  • BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    Man, Brigador is fantastic. Very well done.

Awful marketing, mind. Their videos made it look like a twin stick shooter with cyberpunk paint on, which it really isn't. It requires some thought as you play, though it is fast paced.

I was just zipping through a light industrial area with an artillery style tank, making noise and blowing shit up a couple blocks over with my howitzer to draw attention, then rushing to a straightaway so I could pop smoke and mow the reinforcements down as they tried to swarm me. For the next mission I chose a railgun equipped tank for hunter killer duty that came with active camo, so I got to play railgun and mouse with the local garrison. Since my railgun didn't have much ammo, I'd take advantage of the enemy's tendency to investigate my last known position so that I could nail their fatties in the sides and rear with my cannon.

One mech I tried was essentially a battletech elemental*. Tiny thing, on par with the police mechs and bikes, but I sure did kill a ton of dudes with it. The more noise you make, say with a bigger gun, the more attention you draw, but with a tiny thing you can do some work as it is harder to get swarmed during a skirmish unless you happen to blow up a pipeline or something by accident.

*Turns out there's a whole bunch of these, too. Three factions with different tech, each with a selection of light/medium/heavy/ultra tanks, agravs, and mechs, with some mech suits thrown in. A great deal of variety!

I quite like that the devs included an align to cursor button. In combat I don't use it much, but it is helpful to get around tight areas when I don't want to or can't kool-aid man, or just need to get the hell out of dodge right then.

If you like mechs and tanks and blowing the hell out of things while managing large numbers of baddies in different ways, this is the game for you.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • HandgimpHandgimp R+L=J Family PhotoRegistered User regular
    This is going on the list.

PwH4Ipj.jpg
  • NSDFRandNSDFRand FloridaRegistered User regular
    Bought and played the hell out of this. It's so much fun, and it instantly reminded me of the SNES Mechwarrior games. The art design is as great as the gameplay, and I am really digging the entirely destructive environment. The art design makes me think of Cyberstorm (a Dynamix game in the Starsiege/Tribes universe).

The only criticism I have is very minor, and that's the behavior of the ai units. They tend to group together, especially the infantry units in the campaign. But other than that it's a great game.

Unrelated note, I went to look up other Mechwarrior games and was unaware that Dynamix, the creators of my all time favorite game series (Earth/Starsiege and Tribes), produced the first Mechwarrior game in 1989.