As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Battleborn] Out Now! Go Do Badass Type Stuff!

• ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    OTOH, I still really like playing this game! Meltdown, their MOBA version, is a blast to play.

They've already added a new hero and are going to add another one fairly soon.

I'll be playing this for a while.

• GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited June 2016
    Yeah, I'm not yet sold on the other two PVP modes, but Meltdown is a lot of fun when you're not getting stomped by getting matched against 3 level 100s while you're nursing several single-digit members on your own side.

I'm also looking forward to trying the PVE campaign on Advanced now that we've cleared Normal. We tried it once before with 3 players, but hoo-boy did we get slaughtered, I'm hoping 5 players makes a difference.

[edit] I'd like to get good at Benedict because I dig his design and love how mobile he is, but it feels like any time there's a hitscan champ on the other side (especially a Marquis) being in the air is just a hazard and your slow rocket speed means you'll never hit them in a ranged battle.

Glal on
  • autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    ObiFett wrote: »
    OTOH, I still really like playing this game! Meltdown, their MOBA version, is a blast to play.

You and the 996 other people playing it in the whole world..

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Lilnoobs wrote: »
    jothki wrote: »
    It's kind of a shame about this game, I wanted to like it but the open beta managed to kill all of my remaining enthusiasm for it. I couldn't even bring myself to open up the client more than twice the whole time.

Yup, beta killed it for me too. Gameplay was so repetitive it actually hurt my trigger finger. First game in over 25 years of playing to do so.

I hated the beta too but the final game is pretty awesome.

ObiFett wrote: »

You and the 996 other people playing it in the whole world..

I mean there's gotta be more than that on the Xbox because matchmaking is pretty fast.

• KayKay What we need... Is a little bit of PANIC.Registered User regular
    I didn't play the beta, but I heard that minions take less damage in the final game and are way less bulletspongy.

Enjoying things, Incursion is interesting, but I prefer Meltdown thus far. I'd have thought Incursion would be simpler and less prone to people running around like headless chickens, but nooooo~

Miko, Galilea and Orendi are the characters I'm working on, though I kinda like Reyna too.

ew9y0DD.png
    3DS FCode: 1993-7512-8991
    Man, a well-played Marquis is a nightmare. It really feels like that character is balanced purely around the assumption that no one will be able to land every shot, which is a pretty poor assumption in a competitive game.

And Benedict's rocket splash damage is so small that if an opponent jumps, it misses them. :p

ew9y0DD.png
  • tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    So, it seems that Battleborn is getting cosmetic microtransactions in the coming days (tomorrow)? It's also been part of their long term plan all this time? What's your take?

(Can't find an article that doesn't bemoan it, etc so not posting any sources as this game gets shat on enough as-is).

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
    So, it seems that Battleborn is getting cosmetic microtransactions in the coming days (tomorrow)? It's also been part of their long term plan all this time? What's your take?

(Can't find an article that doesn't bemoan it, etc so not posting any sources as this game gets shat on enough as-is).

Cosmetic Microtransactions make sense in a game like this.

I don't mind it. I'd be more disgruntled if the game were super successful and they still felt the need to bleed more money out of the stone (cough Blizzard cough), but as it is, if it keeps the servers running...

Well, the mtx came and the world still stands. I've yet to pull the trigger on any of them (there's a couple of skins and one taunt that I particularly like), but hey.

I appreciate that you can't buy loot packs, only cosmetics and loadouts/bank slots (which you can also do with in-game currency). I feel it'd be really bad for the game if people with lots of money just gambled on loot packs until they had the most effective gear for their champs and then rolled people that have to make do with what the RNG gods grant them.

Also, Marquis is still my bane, but at least nowadays he's no longer a guaranteed pick on both sides. I'm guessing enough of the playerbase has unlocked their remaining roster to not need to rely on him any more.

• madspookymadspooky San Antonio, TXRegistered User regular
    I'm assuming this thread may get more popular since the Humble Bundle deal. I just picked it up for PC - is it a better experience with KB/mouse or with a gamepad?

If you intend to play its PVP I'd recommend keyboard and mouse, just because that's whom you'd be playing against, otherwise I imagine you're good either way!

• BladeOfSanjuroBladeOfSanjuro Registered User regular
    The SP seems kinda blah, but funny. Maybe it's more fun with friends.

The MP is good, at least that Meltdown mode is. Is Rath OP or do I just have the juggle combo down?

steam_sig.png
    edited July 2016
    The campaign is definitely meant to be played with people- the game will scale the number of enemies you face with the number of people playing, so with all 4 players you're blowing up hordes of mobs and needing to focus fire and strategise. Normal mode is a fun, easy romp (except the last couple of missions) and Advanced is "okay, now let's see if you know how to build a group and work as a team".

Solo PVE is just slowly plinking through enemies that feel like they have too much health for it.

Rath is pretty strong! I don't feel he's OP though, he's very powerful 1v1, but this is a team game, all you need is one good CC and he melts. Of course, if the enemy team is green or not coordinating then he can tear through them like paper.

Glal on
  • PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    Three new PvP maps came out in tonight's new patch. Info.

The next character, Pendles, drops August 4'th. Season Pass holders get it a little early on the 28'th.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
    Yep, the Humble sale has revitalised the PC version's PVP some, I'm actually getting into matches against groups that are not solely composed of maxed out 5-man premades.
    It's like Christmas came early.

The PC version's patch notes.

Bunch of balance changes for characters as well, plus the Wound debuff got reworked. Wound now reduces healing, health regeneration and lifesteal received by 60%.

persona4celestia.jpg
    Reduced the number of double-kills required for Toby's “Killing on Rails” challenge from 10 to 1
    OH THANK FUCK
    Toby's ult was bar none the worst ult in the game before this patch, getting -one- double kill with it was stretching it, let alone 10. Even ignoring the fact that it took 3 seconds to start and slowed you down to a crawl throughout, the total DPS was actually lower than just using your basic attack repeatedly. So bad. So bad.

BTW, for new players, if you register a SHIFT account you can apply some codes to your account for free skins and loot packs. The red ones are expired.
    http://orcz.com/Battleborn:_Shift_Codes#SHiFT_Codes_List

Man, this thread's about as dead as the game's PC playerbase!

I have to say, I wish I could do first person games on a gamepad, because watching streams of the console versions just make it look so much less... cutt-throat. Like, my rank is not even particularly high, but losing your shields on a lower health champ while out in the open is almost a death sentence, anyone with a hitscan/rail weapon will be hitting you reliably until you either die or break line of sight. Console streams against max rank 5-man premades, like a walk in the park, just casually jog around the corner, you're fine man, just jump and you'll barely get hit.

Also, Ernest is out and he looks fun as punch. I've not gotten to play him in PVP yet, but he's great fun in PVE, that egg buff of his is ridiculous. He kind of feels like they took Benedict, but reversed all the decisions that make that guy unfun- oh, one-by-one reloading? Fine, reload 2 at a time. Slow projectiles? No worries, they're fast. Sloooooooooow reload until mid-game helix? Who cares, your level 1 egg buff speeds everything up.

• VaregaVarega Registered User regular
    Glal wrote: »

I have to say, I wish I could do first person games on a gamepad, because watching streams of the console versions just make it look so much less... cutt-throat. Like, my rank is not even particularly high, but losing your shields on a lower health champ while out in the open is almost a death sentence, anyone with a hitscan/rail weapon will be hitting you reliably until you either die or break line of sight. Console streams against max rank 5-man premades, like a walk in the park, just casually jog around the corner, you're fine man, just jump and you'll barely get hit.

Also, Ernest is out and he looks fun as punch. I've not gotten to play him in PVP yet, but he's great fun in PVE, that egg buff of his is ridiculous. He kind of feels like they took Benedict, but reversed all the decisions that make that guy unfun- oh, one-by-one reloading? Fine, reload 2 at a time. Slow projectiles? No worries, they're fast. Sloooooooooow reload until mid-game helix? Who cares, your level 1 egg buff speeds everything up.

The story mode on the game is actually REALLY fun, but as a competitive game, it's really lacking. Kinda regretting my purchase, no lie

League of Legends:Varega
    I find the competitive side to be pretty good, just suffering from a low population, split between PC and two consoles. It was much more my speed than Overwatch, but I prefer MOBA style team play to primarily FPS competitive stuff.

ew9y0DD.png
  • BookerBooker Registered User regular
    Battleborn's playerbase is not split between PC and two consoles. It has three playerbases.

Varega wrote: »

The story mode on the game is actually REALLY fun, but as a competitive game, it's really lacking. Kinda regretting my purchase, no lie
    Did you buy it full price or on sale? It seems to go on sale semi regularly and at half price for the deluxe edition I feel it's well worth it even if all you wanna do is play the campaign with some friends. The competitive part is an added bonus.

Personally I dig the PVP part (or at least, 2 of the 3 modes), but matchmaking on PC is really hit&miss right now. The playing population will bump to ~1200 when there's a sale and it's all fun and games then, then as the weeks pass it'll drop back down to the low 800s and you're back in "wait 20 minutes to get your team of puggers matched against a 5-man premade", which is no fun for anyone.

On the subject of the new hero, I got to play Ernest in PVP a bunch last night and he's great. Pooooooossibly a bit overtuned right now? I'm not sure, it depends on the situation. Like, on choke points he's incredible, his egg will buff up your entire team while he rains damage on the enemy. In the open on the other hand, provided the enemies are moving around, actually hitting them is tricky (since you can't just shoot at their feet, your grenades need to touch them to explode), so I imagine that's his balancing point.
    Either way, probably my favourite hero right now, mechanically. He just feels like playing a first person shooter character, rather than a first person game with skills.

I also tried the new hardcore advanced public game mode. In short, they cycle planets and people queuing (once matched) get to vote on which map on that planet they want to play. As you'd expect, you then get put into an Advanced Hardcore version of that map (so, no respawns, unless you get ressed while downed you're out). Works as you'd expected, and because it funnels everyone together for it it compensates for the low population. Went in with 2 other DPS and we did juuuuust fine.

• VaregaVarega Registered User regular
    Varega wrote: »

Did you buy it full price or on sale? It seems to go on sale semi regularly and at half price for the deluxe edition I feel it's well worth it even if all you wanna do is play the campaign with some friends. The competitive part is an added bonus.

Personally I dig the PVP part (or at least, 2 of the 3 modes), but matchmaking on PC is really hit&miss right now. The playing population will bump to ~1200 when there's a sale and it's all fun and games then, then as the weeks pass it'll drop back down to the low 800s and you're back in "wait 20 minutes to get your team of puggers matched against a 5-man premade", which is no fun for anyone.

On the subject of the new hero, I got to play Ernest in PVP a bunch last night and he's great. Pooooooossibly a bit overtuned right now? I'm not sure, it depends on the situation. Like, on choke points he's incredible, his egg will buff up your entire team while he rains damage on the enemy. In the open on the other hand, provided the enemies are moving around, actually hitting them is tricky (since you can't just shoot at their feet, your grenades need to touch them to explode), so I imagine that's his balancing point.
    Either way, probably my favourite hero right now, mechanically. He just feels like playing a first person shooter character, rather than a first person game with skills.

I also tried the new hardcore advanced public game mode. In short, they cycle planets and people queuing (once matched) get to vote on which map on that planet they want to play. As you'd expect, you then get put into an Advanced Hardcore version of that map (so, no respawns, unless you get ressed while downed you're out). Works as you'd expected, and because it funnels everyone together for it it compensates for the low population. Went in with 2 other DPS and we did juuuuust fine.

Purchased it at full price, literally 3-4 days later it dropped. I'm on the ps4, and I was hoping for a more solid ecosystem there. It's pretty light on players.

My real issue with the game is that I think there's a couple really fun heroes (Caldarius, Galataea, Reyna) and everyone else really doesn't appeal to me. I've unlocked everyone but Deande, and I'm not really enjoying the time I invest in it.

League of Legends:Varega
    So, the current special PVP mode, Chaos, just rotates the basic modes, except there's no unique hero restrictions and chat is global. And then this happened.

battleborn_birbs_versus_sneks.jpg

edited September 2016
    Special SHIFT code from the PAX stream:

9CKJT-XWX6F-K5KTZ-X5RJT-B3H5B

Comes with a Commander pack for each of the factions (two bits of loot, a skin, and a chance at a taunt), plus a legendary loot pack and 10k credits. Don't know how long it'll work.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
  • Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    So, I decided to play this sad lonely game since it's been a long time just sitting on my PS4's hard drive. What an awesome game this could've been had they not tried to make it the next big e-sports thing. The Ops are great! That's the Gearbox stuff people wanted from the start, not some lame MOBA. Shoulda launched the game with the campaign and some Ops, and then continued to add them until every character got their own raid.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    I love me some Battleborn but it's boring to play alone and I have no interest in the PVP stuff.

I actually really love the PVP mode, it's the closest any MOBA has come to actually hooking me... but the population is dead. Unless Gearbox are willing to swallow the bullet and convert the PVP portion to F2P then the small trickle of new players that queue for an hour, only to get stomped by a premade running meta builds their first game will never result in the population improving.

• vamenvamen Registered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    I love me some Battleborn but it's boring to play alone and I have no interest in the PVP stuff.

Same. I played through it solo and coop and really liked it, but solo made me sad. Hollar if you ever want to do some coop! I haven't played in a long time.

• I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    So this is free to play now

Will it be enough? Only time will tell.

liEt3nH.png
    Well, the Steam playerbase went from 80 to 800 last night, so I'm milking the player boost for all it's worth and hoping it stays at decent levels.

• HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    edited June 2017
    I feel bad for not picking this up because I like Gearbox despite their fuckups

but tbh mostly as a way to say Fuck You to Overwatch

HappylilElf on
  • autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    edited June 2017
    If anyone deserves a fuck you, it's the guys responsible for alien: colonial marines.

Plus, they never really made their game seem different from overwatch in marketing, when they're totally different games, overwatch being more like tf2 with a moba elements, and battle born being a regular moba, but in 3d

The game was priced and made up like an f2p game anyways, from the very start, just with $60 additional price tag.

autono-wally, erotibot300 on
    kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    If anyone deserves a fuck you, it's the guys responsible for alien: colonial marines.

Plus, they never really made their game seem different from overwatch in marketing, when they're totally different games, overwatch being more like tf2 with a moba elements, and battle born being a regular moba, but in 3d

The game was priced and made up like an f2p game anyways, from the very start, just with $60 additional price tag.

Eh it's largely a personal thing

I actually like Blizzard and have since the first Warcraft

But I've come to despise my fellow Blizzard fans with a fire that rivals the core of a supernova

I dislike Randy Pitchford, but I'm not about to throw the people that work for him under the bus just because the company is headed by a bunch of idiots.

This weekend is double xp weekend in overwatch, too. Now I think this is just a coincidence because it's overwatch anniversary, but funny nonetheless

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg