As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Netrunner: Live out all your dorkiest cyberpunk fantasies through the medium of card games

• Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    ha ha wow.

I feel like Builder of Nations wont be that fantastic but man is it going to get annoying playing against ICE wall spam and junk with it.

• Blue mapBlue map Hello darkness, my old friend. Registered User regular
    Temujin Contract seems really strong.

My Steam profile thing: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Blue_map/ Battlenet: BlueMap#1493
  • AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    Yeah Temujin Contract looks awesome. I'm starting to lean back towards career fair being legitimate in good stuff crim with that card arriving!

• Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    that weyland id seems fuckin' cool

• PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    Yeah, I'm super excited for Builder of Nations, especially if it means we're getting more baller advancement ICE like Mausolus in 23 seconds.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    I'm playing in my first in person tourney tomorrow and I'm terrified

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    just imagine everyone in their tightly coloured spandex

liEt3nH.png
  • tzeentchlingtzeentchling Doctor of Rocks OaklandRegistered User regular
    I'm playing in my first in person tourney tomorrow and I'm terrified

The worst that can happen is you'll lose. No one's going to kill and eat you! Odds are in fact good that most people will be really friendly.

Have fun, don't worry too much about how you end up, just play to the best of your ability and prepare to see stuff you haven't seen before. Also, be sure to drink plenty of water and bring healthy snacks like nuts and fruit so you don't bonk.

Also, has anyone sussed out why Khan has 12 influence? Because that ability doesn't even rival Kit's and she suffers for having 12.

• Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    smaller deck minimum probably

• TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    We got binders and cad pages now.

Now to begin the sortening

Yeah, but even then the cards that seem to work well with Khan are disposable icebreakers and chameleon which tend to need a decently large chunk of deck space. So it doesn't feel like you'd have room to use that influence.

• TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Runner cards have been sorted.

Now for corp cards...

After a decent break.

@Chincymcchilla how did it go?

I won, actually!

I completely reworked what I was using and put in a bunch of time on Jinteki for practice

I played a Val Blackmail/DDoS/Apocalypse deck and a Fast Advance HB deck, only lost once with the Val deck

in an 8 person tourney, the corp overall only had like 3 losses

Is corp considered stronger right now than runner or is this weird confirmation bias?

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
    It largely depends on the matchup, right now!

But generally speaking runner is probably stronger if you're playing the current top tier Whizzard deck, unless it's NBN FA in which case it's more of a coin flip.

• ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    edited June 2016
    Anzekay wrote: »

But generally speaking runner is probably stronger if you're playing the current top tier Whizzard deck, unless it's NBN FA in which case it's more of a coin flip.

I would actually say that all whizzard does is make asset spam decks a fair matchup instead of an unfair one

it still requires a great degree of skill to win with him consistently

e: basically, I think that without Faust and some tempo-loss mitigation, runners are in a real bad spot

with those things and some deep dig, you can make your matchups fair to somewhere between 53-55% in your favor

Shorty on
    edited June 2016
    Also I got this awesome alt art Leela and now I have to make a gangsign deck

Chincymcchilla on
  • ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    the leela promo really is one of the better ones they've done

Shorty wrote: »
    Anzekay wrote: »

I would actually say that all whizzard does is make asset spam decks a fair matchup instead of an unfair one

it still requires a great degree of skill to win with him consistently

yeah I do assume people know what they are doing with a deck when comparing strength

on the meta at high-level play:

http://forum.stimhack.com/t/2016-regionals-top-cut-data-updated-june-6th-2016/7519

note that of regional-winning players, 44.98% of them were playing whizzard

and three out of the four most prevalent IDs represent decks that tend to play a lot of assets

and that may even include a significant portion of Palana decks, which has a viable asset-heavy version with agroplex and turtlebacks

basically people are winning with assets after the cut despite almost half of players being whizzard

That seems

Pretty bad for the state kf the game

That seems

it's mainly only relevant for people who are really intent on being good at highly competitive play

I almost never play any of those decks and still do really well for myself casually

That seems

it's mainly only relevant for people who are really intent on being good at highly competitive play

I almost never play any of those decks and still do really well for myself casually

Well sure but a lot of the time I'm games like this innovation starts at the top

If the best players around are all playing the same deck that's sort of a bummer

It makes me wonder how fantasy flight does playtesting

I usually don't care about it but I've become more invested in ANR from a design standpoint because I'm a designer myself.

That and I've been gunning for doing well at nationals and I hate playing both the top tier deck archetypes. :(

• CerberusCerberus Registered User regular
    It's something you should get over though if you can. There is nothing wrong with taking the tier 1 decks, we all just want to be special and creative, that's the problem.(myself included)

No but I mean

Low deck variety isn't fun, just like in a fighting game if only 3 decks get played

Doing the same match ups over and over isnt a great time

I haven't run into that in casual play but that sounds sad for competitive

Cerberus wrote: »
    It's something you should get over though if you can. There is nothing wrong with taking the tier 1 decks, we all just want to be special and creative, that's the problem.(myself included)

It's more that I don't actually enjoy the act of playing them! If, say, Foodcoats was suddenly statistically better than NEH FA tomorrow I'd still play it, because I enjoy playing it.

I find I perform significantly worse playing decks I don't enjoy, even if they are very good decks.

• I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    aren't they moving to a rotating format to address the matter

liEt3nH.png
  • One Thousand CablesOne Thousand Cables An absence of thought Registered User regular

They are, but rotation doesn't kick in until spring next year

deck diversity at high levels is absolutely a problem and it's one that the MWL was intended to address, with a degree of success that varies depending on who you ask; most people would say that Faust needs to be on there but I'd say, maybe, but if you added Faust there wouldn't be a huge shift in the meta, you'd just see people cut the clone chips (or whatever) from their Whizzard decks*, much like what happened with NBN rush decks--they didn't stop putting three Astros in, they just cut three other influence because none of it was necessary anyway

FFG also has historically also had problems with playtesting; I'm not privy to the playtesting messageboard, so I don't know if it's a problem with the playtesters just not being any good at it, or there not being enough of them, or if the devteam just doesn't listen to them

if forced to guess I'd say it's probably some combination of the latter two--I have a hard time believing that they selected a bunch of people who are both very interested in netrunner and very bad at netrunner

further, Damon Stone has a demonstrable history of statements to the effect that the playerbase just doesn't know how to deckbuild and that the strongest decks aren't actually that; it stands to reason that he would hold a similar position on playtester feedback (that is, that he knows better for whatever reason)

now, all that said, it ultimately comes down to what your threshold is for playing against the top decks, and what's more, you can use that information to your advantage, since Whizzard still has bad matchups (this is the main reason I've been able to take jinteki PE past the cut at multiple store championships, for example)

this actually speaks to what I think is the bigger problem with netrunner competitive play right now, which is that there doesn't seem to be any serious appraisal of the root cause of consistency in runnerside deckbuilding. it's clear that it exists, but I'd say the reason for that is less because anarch is exceptionally powerful and more because the corp asset game is so good that by not playing the orange cards you're basically handicapping yourself (I know this is kind of a weird distinction since all cards are evaluated against each other but it seems important to me). this is partly due to the fact that the color pie is all jacked up right now (d4v1d is obviously a criminal card, for example--it eliminates risk in toto, on a temporary basis, like faerie but even moreso, but it went to the faction that's supposed to be about embracing risk in return for large rewards), but also because they printed a ton of powerful assets all at once without giving runners the tools they need to deal with them--anarchs have the best anti-asset game but like I said in my above post, asset decks still make up the majority of the corpside meta despite whizzard approaching 50% of the runnerside meta.

basically, they need to diversify corpside options so that asset spam decks aren't your best course to victory even in a whizzard-heavy meta (it's heartening to see some operation-heavy power shutdown combo decks see a bit of a resurgence, as much as I hate playing against them) and start fixing the runnerside color pie instead of playing MWL whack-a-mole.

edited June 2016

They are, but rotation doesn't kick in until spring next year

Technically not tied to a specific date, it's when the first pack of the eighth cycle comes out, the first two cycles go out. The big delay between cycles pushed that target back a little, and if they get back on a pack every month with no off-months it's looking like June '17 should be when it rotates.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    deck diversity at high levels is absolutely a problem and it's one that the MWL was intended to address, with a degree of success that varies depending on who you ask; most people would say that Faust needs to be on there but I'd say, maybe, but if you added Faust there wouldn't be a huge shift in the meta, you'd just see people cut the clone chips (or whatever) from their Whizzard decks*, much like what happened with NBN rush decks--they didn't stop putting three Astros in, they just cut three other influence because none of it was necessary anyway

FFG also has historically also had problems with playtesting; I'm not privy to the playtesting messageboard, so I don't know if it's a problem with the playtesters just not being any good at it, or there not being enough of them, or if the devteam just doesn't listen to them

if forced to guess I'd say it's probably some combination of the latter two--I have a hard time believing that they selected a bunch of people who are both very interested in netrunner and very bad at netrunner

further, Damon Stone has a demonstrable history of statements to the effect that the playerbase just doesn't know how to deckbuild and that the strongest decks aren't actually that; it stands to reason that he would hold a similar position on playtester feedback (that is, that he knows better for whatever reason)

now, all that said, it ultimately comes down to what your threshold is for playing against the top decks, and what's more, you can use that information to your advantage, since Whizzard still has bad matchups (this is the main reason I've been able to take jinteki PE past the cut at multiple store championships, for example)

this actually speaks to what I think is the bigger problem with netrunner competitive play right now, which is that there doesn't seem to be any serious appraisal of the root cause of consistency in runnerside deckbuilding. it's clear that it exists, but I'd say the reason for that is less because anarch is exceptionally powerful and more because the corp asset game is so good that by not playing the orange cards you're basically handicapping yourself (I know this is kind of a weird distinction since all cards are evaluated against each other but it seems important to me). this is partly due to the fact that the color pie is all jacked up right now (d4v1d is obviously a criminal card, for example--it eliminates risk in toto, on a temporary basis, like faerie but even moreso, but it went to the faction that's supposed to be about embracing risk in return for large rewards), but also because they printed a ton of powerful assets all at once without giving runners the tools they need to deal with them--anarchs have the best anti-asset game but like I said in my above post, asset decks still make up the majority of the corpside meta despite whizzard approaching 50% of the runnerside meta.

basically, they need to diversify corpside options so that asset spam decks aren't your best course to victory even in a whizzard-heavy meta (it's heartening to see some operation-heavy power shutdown combo decks see a bit of a resurgence, as much as I hate playing against them) and start fixing the runnerside color pie instead of playing MWL whack-a-mole.

This was really interesting, thank you!

The attitude that the best players in the world are "doing it wrong" is an incredibly unfortunate one

The picture you paint explains how something like jeeves gets printed even when assets are generally considered too powerful

I'd honestly like to see them employ a full on restricted or ban list. The MWL list penalty isn't enough to make people stop using those cards, they just cut other cards.

Jeeves is a really cool card but still isn't anywhere near the most powerful asset printed recently.

That honour goes to the Mumbad City Hall/ Mumba Temple/ Museum of History trifecta

edited June 2016
    Heck, I don't think I've actually *made* a deck using MWL cards. Maybe one point when it first came out and I was playing Jes for a event.

Granted, my decks are usually hot dumpster fires... Wonder if there's a correlation there.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg

it's also probably not going to fix this issue

top-tier corp decks are losing very little relative to runners*, whereas Whizzard himself is rotating out, and there were very, very few anti-asset cards printed after the first two cycles

so they're going to have to address these problems via content, most likely

*unnecessarily exhaustive analysis of corpside rotation losses follow
    assets from the first two cycles that see significant play are as follows:
    marked accounts
    eve campaign
    ronin
    Jackson howard
    Elizabeth mills
    sundew
    shock
    grndl refinery

of those, only Jackson Howard and possibly Shock doesn't have an easy replacement waiting in the wings. the only card here whose loss I expect to have a big impact, other than our lord and savior J-Ho, is Eve Campaign, but HB already doesn't play a lot of solid neutral econ assets, so that might not even matter.

ice: the two that hurt the most are probably Eli and Pop-up window, with Caduceus, Viper and a couple others having nearly-as-taxing analogues ready to jump in

upgrades: this is going to hurt glacier decks very much and rush decks basically nil. the only really important upgrades that are leaving are caprice and ash, the rest are all edge cards that see play mostly in gimmick decks (though I'll miss Hokusai grid)

operations-wise we're losing a lot:
    trick of light
    power grid overload
    green level clearance
    oversight AI
    midseason replacements
    celebrity gift
    restructure
    interns
    power shutdown
    accelerated diagnostics
    punitive counterstrike
    sweeps week
    subliminal messaging

it's hard to judge how this will affect top-tier decks. losing sweeps week and restructure is very bad for NBN, but it might not matter--a lot of those decks can switch restructure for special offer immediately, and even now those decks have a lot of games where they wind up discarding their economy. obviously power shutdown combo decks will disappear entirely, and Jinteki glacier decks are going to have a hard time without solid burst econ like celebrity gift. no more oversight AI is obviously going to be a huge problem for Blue Sun.

agendas:
    project beale
    project atlas
    fetal AI
    project Vitruvius
    geothermal fracking
    the cleaners
    profiteering
    napd contract

losing the good 3/2 agendas is going to be pretty important for NBN and HB. the weyland agendas are all of questionable value these days but were once pretty useful, it's possible they could become so again with the advent of Rusty W coming in flashpoint.

roundup: the top tier corp decks are going to continue to exist in forms pretty close to what they are now. NEH rush decks are losing some good agendas, and a handful of economy pieces, but I'm pretty skeptical that they won't be just as scary as ever, especially since it seems so likely that what they do have left will be even harder to deal with than it is now.

DDOS is also a very, very clearly Criminal card (it's bypass! bypass is blue!) that was printed in Anarch. I could see EMP Device as blue as well, but I haven't seen a good enough use for that card yet anyway.

Anarch has always had a fairly strong card pool overall, it's just that until recently they haven't had draw or filtering without drawbacks, which meant they needed to include multiple copies of important cards and weren't guaranteed to find what they needed in time. The downside of Wyldside was solved with Adjusted Chronotype, and various other draw/filter engines have been added of late (IHW, Inject, Making an Entrance, Street Peddler) that speed up the game immensely. Faust then allowed Anarchs to say, well, now I don't need to put in multiple copies of various breakers to ensure I find them in order to actually run, and if I draw my redundant other cards I can use this cool breaker to not have them junk up my hand. D4v1D addressed one of the fixed-breaker weaknesses incredibly directly, and indirectly helped Faust by allowing you to get past high strength ice without tossing your whole hand.

No other faction has had their weaknesses addressed in such a direct way, save maybe Jinteki.

I am very new but isn't anarch the "Bad Pub" faction? I figured that's why DDOS was in there.

Losing Beale is going to be a big blow, imo. Without the second set of 2/3s if you lose an Astro it's going to be that much tougher to score out.

Of course I guess you could just run more 3/1s or 2/1s and have to score a little bit more out of hand.

This was really interesting, thank you!

The attitude that the best players in the world are "doing it wrong" is an incredibly unfortunate one

The picture you paint explains how something like jeeves gets printed even when assets are generally considered too powerful

I'd honestly like to see them employ a full on restricted or ban list. The MWL list penalty isn't enough to make people stop using those cards, they just cut other cards.

yeah, and I honestly think that if Netrunner was being run by Wizards of the Coast, it would probably have a banlist in addition to the MWL

the issue is that the MWL and some other stuff that falls under the purview of organized play isn't actually handled by their organized play team, it's handled by the development team

and no disrespect to them, but that simply isn't part of their job and it's wrong to expect them to be able to make that kind of decision; that's a lesson that WotC already learned like twenty years ago, and it wasn't just an idle decision--developers and designers simply don't have the time it takes to analyze tournament data and make calls on what is warping the metagame in a way that results in negative play experiences