As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

This is the Dawning of the Age of [X-Men: Apocalypse]

• Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    the extent to which comics mystique isn't sexualized is actually kind of remarkable, considering how she dresses and the fact that her using sex appeal to get what she wants would be a really obvious angle for the character

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    I really like Brian K Vaughan's take on mystique (And I think what DoFP and Apocalypse has done to a small amount as well)

Mystique doesn't want to be a hero. She's a freedom fighter and happy to dabble into terrorism if it furthers her cause. This means she'll side with whoever she wants to push forward her morals.

• KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    The way Apocalypse got the Four Horsemen was pretty silly. He says that he wants to make the strongest mutants his Horsemen but
    he made Storm and Psylocke Horsemen just because he happened to meet them first. He was lucky that Storm had very powerful abilities, and even she didn't use her powers very well. Really, only Storm and Magneto made sense because they had very strong powers. Psylocke and Angel were not that impressive. Archangel was even beaten by Nightcrawler the same way he was beaten when he was Angel.

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    The way Apocalypse got the Four Horsemen was pretty silly. He says that he wants to make the strongest mutants his Horsemen but
    he made Storm and Psylocke Horsemen just because he happened to meet them first. He was lucky that Storm had very powerful abilities, and even she didn't use her powers very well. Really, only Storm and Magneto made sense because they had very strong powers. Psylocke and Angel were not that impressive. Archangel was even beaten by Nightcrawler the same way he was beaten when he was Angel.
    They likely went after Angel because Psylocke knew about his winning streak in the mutant pit fights. She was surprised to find him injured so I'm guessing she didn't know about him losing to Nightcrawler.

• Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    to be fair
    time and time again, apocalypse has been proven to be all bluster

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    This movie was, like

mediocre, I guess?

• Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Honestly I'd put it below mediocre.

I'd watch a mediocre movie again on occasion. It's that dull I have no real intention of ever seeing that movie again.

I don't usually get the urge to rewatch whatever movies.

The beginning was fine, good enough set up, the performances were mostly pretty excellent, but yeah, the plot is clown-shoes and the quality of each scene is a crap shoot, and I guess I'm just used to really great superhero movies at this point.

Yeah see, I thought most performances were dull.

• UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    Jubilee's actress revealed that originally she was going to wear generic 80s clothes and had to demand the yellow coat and shades from Bryan Singer because Jubilee without them would be "blasphemy".

And then she had no dialogue anyways

Fuck Bryan Singer

• FCDFCD Registered User regular
    God, I hope whoever directs next gives a shit about characters other than Professor X, Magneto and Mystique. How refreshing that would be!

Gridman! Baby DAN DAN! Baby DAN DAN!
  • Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    apocalypse took the x-franchise back to where it started from being a movie full of really cool individual moments that has no cohesion at all

6vjsgrerts6r.png

Blake T wrote: »
    Yeah see, I thought most performances were dull.

Angel was fun, Fassbender did a good job, Oscar Isaac was no where near as bad as I'd been lead to believe, Storm was great and criminally not in the movie a anywhere near enough, the kid playing Cyclops was okay, the girl playing Jean was pretty good, the kid playing Nightcrawler was wonderful.

Like, yeah, Jennifer Lawrence phoned it in, but the rest of the cast was a lot of fun for me to watch.

It felt very much like an episode of the old cartoon, and while I think films should be a lot more than that, I guess I enjoyed that for what it was.

They likely went after Angel because Psylocke knew about his winning streak in the mutant pit fights. She was surprised to find him injured so I'm guessing she didn't know about him losing to Nightcrawler.

But it didn't make sense for
    Apocalypse to make Angel a horseman since his powers aren't that great. If Apocalypse wants to make the strongest mutants his horsemen then it doesn't make sense for him to just pick mutants he happens to meet first. He's learned about the modern world, he should know that things aren't like in Ancient Egypt when there were probably only a very small number of mutants. He should know that there are thousands of mutants around the world. It would have made a lot more sense for him to use Caliban to search for mutants with powerful abilities.

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited June 2016

Apocalypse to make Angel a horseman since his powers aren't that great. If Apocalypse wants to make the strongest mutants his horsemen then it doesn't make sense for him to just pick mutants he happens to meet first. He's learned about the modern world, he should know that things aren't like in Ancient Egypt when there were probably only a very small number of mutants. He should know that there are thousands of mutants around the world. It would have made a lot more sense for him to use Caliban to search for mutants with powerful abilities.
    Angel was considered powerful because he managed to beat up a ton of other mutants in hand to hand combat implying his combination of powers and skills were impressive.

You can't get much more survival of the fittest than "beat up every other mutant he faught."

Undead Scottsman on
  • PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular

Angel was considered powerful because he managed to beat up a ton of other mutants in hand to hand combat implying his combination of powers and skills were impressive.

You can't get much more survival of the fittest than "beat up every other mutant he faught."

But the argument is...what does Angel do? He has wings. Cool. Wings as a mutant power is a lot weaker than if he had gotten ahold of, say, Sabertooth, Juggernaut or Colossus. It seems like Singer chose Angel just because Angel was a founding X-Man who had very, very little screen time, but then also left Bobby almost entirely out of his trilogy even though he's a fucking Omega.

• LorahaloLorahalo Registered User regular
    He chose Angel because Archangel is a really famous moment in X-Men history.

I have a podcast about Digimon called the Digital Moncast, on Audio Entropy.
  • HermanoHermano Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    I can't read!

Hermano on

PSN- AHermano
    Lorahalo wrote: »

Because it took a good guy and turned him evil! I mean, I understand his choice. I just think there were better options.

• LorahaloLorahalo Registered User regular
    Also outside of his Archangel powers and weird like holy blood stuff, comics Angel has enhanced strength and agility. They just never mention that and focus on his wings.

I have a podcast about Digimon called the Digital Moncast, on Audio Entropy.
  • LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    This is coming from someone who thought that this film was very bad, but I kinda think that they just didn't put much thought into "who are the strongest mutants" and just put in some well known favourites who have some visually striking costume design. Maybe Singer also thought he was going for something by having the devil character on the good team, and the angel character on bad team.

But I don't think that they really thought of any good story reason beyond "well, he beat up some people in fight club"

• nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    Lorahalo wrote: »

Sure but they still needed to make that choice make sense.

Quire.jpg
    Angel was also one of apocalypse's horsemen as well keep in mind.

• ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    edited June 2016
    Choosing Angel made more sense than choosing Psylocke. She was chosen mostly by luck. She happened to be in the right place at the right time, with the right attitude. Once he chose her, she made it known that Angel was the most powerful mutant warrior she'd ever heard of. Angel was chosen for that reason. Power is relative, and Angel was somewhat (though not fully or well) established as being a very successful warrior. Apocalypse choosing him for his combat prowess makes some sense, he'd want a bodyguard and fighter. Magneto was chosen for the potency of his mutant powers, Storm ended up being a good choice for the same reason (though he only had a small demo of her powers so it still felt convenient), and possibly for her survival instinct. The only one that really feels completely unjustified is Psylocke, because he had no knowledge of her and only a moment's experience.

The reasons for the others being chosen may feel weak, but I think that's more a storytelling failure, they just didn't show enough to fully justify his choices. Psylocke they show everything he could have possibly known, and that was weak sauce to me.

Tox on
    Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
    I kinda just wanted Spiderman to be a horseman again but I knew that wasn't realistic and Angel is a shitty replacement.

• Desert LeviathanDesert Leviathan Registered User regular

I'd watch a mediocre movie again on occasion. It's that dull I have no real intention of ever seeing that movie again.

It's super weird to realize that there have been nine X-Men movies now, and the only one of them I'm interested in ever seeing again is Deadpool.

(I am aware that my opinions on First Class and DoFP are outside the norm, it's cool if most of you like them, we can still be pals.)

Realizing lately that I don't really trust or respect basically any of the moderators here. So, good luck with life, friends! Hit me up on Twitter @DesertLeviathan
    I could watch the first 5 minutes of X2 every day.

• OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    I kinda just wanted Spiderman to be a horseman again but I knew that wasn't realistic and Angel is a shitty replacement.

Ew, no, that's not a story I need. Also Spider-man as a horseman makes no sense--he's not even a mutant.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    edited June 2016

Ew, no, that's not a story I need. Also Spider-man as a horseman makes no sense--he's not even a mutant.

I'd say he is very much a child of the atom

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
    Wyborn wrote: »

I'd say he is very much a child of the atom

...because he was in the video game?

cdci44qazyo3.gif

...no, I think I'm actually referencing the line he used when he originally fought Morlun after shooting himself up with a radioactive isotope. Something like how he carried the spider totem but he was also of the atom?

Eeehhhhhh it was a long shot and I couldn't remember the line well enough to quote it perfectly anyway...

dN0T6ur.png
    ...no, I think I'm actually referencing the line he used when he originally fought Morlun after shooting himself up with a radioactive isotope. Something like how he carried the spider totem but he was also of the atom?

Eeehhhhhh it was a long shot and I couldn't remember the line well enough to quote it perfectly anyway...

Regardless, what makes someone a mutant in Marvel is specifically genetic--they're a new species of human, which is kind of key to Apocalypse's whole thing, and mutates like Spider-man would be seen as inferior humans trying to steal homo superior's birthright.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

I was just goofin'

dN0T6ur.png
    I was just goofin'

Oh I know, I just like nerding out about comics once in a while. And I also wasn't sure if I was actually missing something there, since there are tons of dumb comics things I don't know about.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    This movie was not good at all. And super boring.

They really need to either pick mutant's who powers would work better in an action scene, or get creative, because holy crap was the action boring apart from Quicksilver. And even his got old pretty quickly.

• BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    So a casting call for Wolverine 3 points at a certain character appearing
    20th Century Fox are seeking a a 11 - 14 year old girl to play the role of Zoe in a brand new movie!! [ZOE] 11 to 14 year-old girl. Still a child, but a wounded badass, a pound puppy, raised in captivity in a time of battle, without support systems of normal childhood.
    She has no family and until now, has never left the compound in which she was born. She has an authentic intensity – her expressions and body language speak volumes, without words. Once released in the outside world, everything is new – every experience and every image a first. This does not mean everything is wonderful or wondrous. Some things she sees (things we might regard as conventional) may scare her or anger her and things we may find interesting may bore her. She has not been instructed in many social conventions – she can eat like an animal. She studies and often mimics people’s behavior. She has a high IQ, but is also a temperamental, impulsive and feral creature that can raise genuine mayhem. She is a girl that has never been kissed. Looking for a REAL girl - not made up or done up. Also with genuine edge, not made up or put on. Martial arts or gymnastics experience preferred but not necessary – but actress must be extremely physical and able to improvise scenes without necessarily resorting to speech. Do NOT play it 'cute.

Sounds a looooot like X-23

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
    Probably what
    Essex wanted Wolverine's blood for at the end of Apocalypse

• chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular

It's super weird to realize that there have been nine X-Men movies now, and the only one of them I'm interested in ever seeing again is Deadpool.

(I am aware that my opinions on First Class and DoFP are outside the norm, it's cool if most of you like them, we can still be pals.)

I didn't like DoFP much either, really.

It was getting praised as the best superhero movie of the summer, so I went. Figured I'd at least like it better than "Thor".

I was incorrect in that assumption.

• StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    So a casting call for Wolverine 3 points at a certain character appearing
    20th Century Fox are seeking a a 11 - 14 year old girl to play the role of Zoe in a brand new movie!! [ZOE] 11 to 14 year-old girl. Still a child, but a wounded badass, a pound puppy, raised in captivity in a time of battle, without support systems of normal childhood.
    She has no family and until now, has never left the compound in which she was born. She has an authentic intensity – her expressions and body language speak volumes, without words. Once released in the outside world, everything is new – every experience and every image a first. This does not mean everything is wonderful or wondrous. Some things she sees (things we might regard as conventional) may scare her or anger her and things we may find interesting may bore her. She has not been instructed in many social conventions – she can eat like an animal. She studies and often mimics people’s behavior. She has a high IQ, but is also a temperamental, impulsive and feral creature that can raise genuine mayhem. She is a girl that has never been kissed. Looking for a REAL girl - not made up or done up. Also with genuine edge, not made up or put on. Martial arts or gymnastics experience preferred but not necessary – but actress must be extremely physical and able to improvise scenes without necessarily resorting to speech. Do NOT play it 'cute.

Sounds a looooot like X-23
    While that sounds great, I'm a little bit worried about the 14 year old girl in the far flung future of an Old Man Logan storyline, as I'd love to see her join the main cast of the X movies

Wolverine does have more than one clone.

Also, they could be casting for flashbacks.