As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Penny Arcade - Comic - Aftermarket

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited May 2016 in The Penny Arcade Hub

imagePenny Arcade - Comic - Aftermarket

Videogaming-related online strip by Mike Krahulik and Jerry Holkins. Includes news and commentary.

Read the full story here

Unknown User on

• Options
    poipoigirlpoipoigirl Registered User regular
    Its Gabe, he'll say something regrettable eventually.

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    I like Gabe in panel 2. It's nice to have a reminder of what a sweet simpleton he is.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    The Ninth GuardianThe Ninth Guardian Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    This game is sooo good, and so addictive. But Gabe has a point, if it weren't Star Wars, it wouldn't be nearly as appealing. Also, it was released around the same time as Star Trek: Attack Wing. While X-Wing had beautifully detailed and painted miniatures, the ST ones looked like extruded plastic turds.

Both are great games (or so I've heard about Attack Wing), but I have never seen anyone play the Star Trek game, and this past Saturday I attended an X-Wing tournament with 112 players. That's how far 'aesthetics' get you.

The Ninth Guardian on
  • Options
    Ivan HungerIvan Hunger Registered User regular
    Vorthos and Melvin.

• Options
    FriendFiveFriendFive Registered User regular
    Finally, they did a strip about something I am in to. Seems like there is a resurgence in interest in the game. Scott Kutz did a couple of strips about the game this past week.

• Options
    YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    This feels like the Tycho version of the Tearaway strip, Badfeel.

• Options
    islingtonislington Registered User regular
    Killing it with the hands! the last two strips have had really awesome hands, I'm not sure why they jumped out at me this time, but I had to point them out they're so good.

• Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    poipoigirl wrote: »
    Its Gabe, he'll say something regrettable eventually.

Or he already has but Tycho's rage is so vast it's taking a while to process.

My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    This game is sooo good, and so addictive. But Gabe has a point, if it weren't Star Wars, it wouldn't be nearly as appealing. Also, it was released around the same time as Star Trek: Attack Wing. While X-Wing had beautifully detailed and painted miniatures, the ST ones looked like extruded plastic turds.

Both are great games (or so I've heard about Attack Wing), but I have never seen anyone play the Star Trek game, and this past Saturday I attended an X-Wing tournament with 112 players. That's how far 'aesthetics' get you.

X-Wing also plays better than Attack Win, so it wins on both the aesthetics front, the gameplay front, and, especially post Force Awakens, the general popularity front. It's not really a contest.

• Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    X-Wing Miniatures is something I only got into last November. I have no regrets and there is a huge community of repainters for the game as well. I also love Armada as well.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    donavannjdonavannj Registered User regular

Part of that is better brand recognition and exposure. More people in general are Star Wars fans and many don't see it as being as nerdy as being into Star Trek.

Though I do agree that aesthetics are a big factor, too, as this type of game is extremely expensive to start playing, and sticker shock would definitely strike someone not used to the prices of tabletop gaming in general.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Middle panel Tycho is exactly how I feel when I find an optimal build in a strategy or tactics game.

• Options
    CharlesMabeCharlesMabe Registered User regular
    Isn't Tycho the asshole who criticized Gabriel's kids for LARPing? Eh, who needs imagination and roleplaying? We don't play classic RPGs for THAT! You know, they made a movie about people like Tycho. It's called "The Gamers: Dorkness Rising". It's a pretty hilarious D&D film.

• Options
    YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    Isn't Tycho the asshole who criticized Gabriel's kids for LARPing? Eh, who needs imagination and roleplaying? We don't play classic RPGs for THAT! You know, they made a movie about people like Tycho. It's called "The Gamers: Dorkness Rising". It's a pretty hilarious D&D film.

Exact opposite. Tycho encouraged Gabe's son Gabe<sic> to LARP when Gabe told him it was bad.

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Also there's a meta commentary about how for Gabe the art is the most important thing and for Tycho it's all about the writing and the mechanics.

They're (jokingly I hope) shitting all over each other's contribution to the partnership, and it's ground they've covered before but I still enjoy it.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    Tycho writes:
    Gabriel allowed me to have what I wanted most in this strip, even though the entire production is an attempt to shame him, by having Tycho slobber on a card. It was a moist indulgence that is deeply appreciated.

This is a fantastic sentence. Also, it entirely summarizes the genesis of this strip.

• Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    Looks like someone has never played Orks.

• Options
    RavelleRavelle Registered User regular
    I watched the tutorial on that board game and I kinda want it now, it looks amazing.

D083uBC.jpg
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    X-Wing is one of those games that has the advantage of really solid and excellent models, while also having extremely fun and playable mechanics as well.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    I dunno if I find the aesthetics to be just as important as the mechanics, but they definitely matter.

• Options
    shadowysea07shadowysea07 Registered User regular
    the image just did not go with the text for #2

• Options
    Rail VirusRail Virus artistic sociopath Registered User new member
    As always the humor is spot on, love listening to them brainstorm this stuff, but it seems like the art has gotten more 'loose' than it used to be, almost like it should have been in the transitional period of '09-'11.

• Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    the image just did not go with the text for #2

Sweet numbers?