As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Whedon and Ryan to take over Runaways.

• Options
    vinhjvinhj Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Or Todd Nauck. What happened to his art style? Spidey in FSN looked terrible :(

vinhj on
  • Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Hey guys:

At least it isn't the artist from YA/Runaways.

Or the free comic book day comic.

Scottie Young rocks.

Skottie Young might be a good artist, but his art doesn't suit Runaways, and we all have the evidence.

I really liked the free comic book day book, art and all.

SatanIsMyMotor on
  • Options
    GABBO GABBO GABBOGABBO GABBO GABBO Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    denihilist wrote:
    Best possible outcome as far as writers. I don't read New Excalibur so I can't really say about the art. It looks decent though, I can see Ryan's style on Runaways.

Ryan also drew some stuff for New X-Men Academy that was pretty good.
    All-in-all this is good news, although I never imagined that Marvel would put a "superstar" writer on such a small book.

GABBO GABBO GABBO on
  • Options
    denihilistdenihilist Ancient and Mighty Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited September 2006
    Expect your back issues to be more valuable as scores of Whedon fans start looking for copies.

denihilist on
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    denihilist wrote:
    Expect your back issues to be more valuable as scores of Whedon fans start looking for copies.

I love Joss Whedon, but I hate, hate, hate, most of his fans.
    This hatred is based off of the last few years of comic conventions where I was forced to put up with those fucking "browncoats."

GABBO GABBO GABBO on
  • Options
    Conditional_AxeConditional_Axe Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Manifest wrote:
    denihilist wrote:

I love Joss Whedon, but I hate, hate, hate, most of his fans.
    This hatred is based off of the last few years of comic conventions where I was forced to put up with those fucking "browncoats."
    I think that they're actually whedon's private militia, and when he get sick enough of george bush, he's going to let it slip that the white house is responsible for firefly's cancellation.

Conditional_Axe on
  • Options
    edited September 2006

Im listening to the buffy theme while dancing maniacally with tears in my eyes.

i wish i could say im joking but ive quite literally gone APESH!T.

If any of you ever posts something like that on this forum I will personally ban you.

GABBO GABBO GABBO on
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    it's unfair to characterize newsarama posters like that.

i mean, look at this one:
    CHUCK AUSTEN ALSO TURNED ICEMAN INTO A CLOSET HOMO, MADE 1980'S GERMANY INTO SOME GOTHIC VICTORIAN SCENE, AND HAD THE X-MEN FIGHT WOLVES AND PRIESTS WITH DISINTEGRATING COMMUNION WAFERS....

BUT HE GAVE US SAMMY THE SQID-BOY AND SLUTTY NURSE, SO I LOVE HIM DEARLY!!!!!!!

In his defense, Sammy Pare really was awesome.

Conditional_Axe on
  • Options
    SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    it's unfair to characterize newsarama posters like that.

i mean, look at this one:
    CHUCK AUSTEN ALSO TURNED ICEMAN INTO A CLOSET HOMO, MADE 1980'S GERMANY INTO SOME GOTHIC VICTORIAN SCENE, AND HAD THE X-MEN FIGHT WOLVES AND PRIESTS WITH DISINTEGRATING COMMUNION WAFERS....

BUT HE GAVE US SAMMY THE SQID-BOY AND SLUTTY NURSE, SO I LOVE HIM DEARLY!!!!!!!

In his defense, Sammy Pare really was awesome.

Golly gee Mr. Juggernaut... it would be ever so magical if you were a good guy... doesn't my fishy-face just melt your cold heart?

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    edited September 2006
    man, I liked Squid Boy. and Juggernaut is awesome.

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    man, I liked Squid Boy. and Juggernaut is awesome.

Actually, I did too... but it WAS a little hackney the way that whole thing came about... it was a good though, I do admit that.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    the annie plot was pretty lame, though. except for her and northstar's catty friendship.

Annie: I gave you a sponge bath.
    Havok: I was the nexus of all realities and I fought the Beyonder, the Goblin Queen and Dracula at the same time just like five minutes ago. And despite the fact that I've spent most of my life being all about either Polaris or my douchebag brother's castoffs, let's get married.

Conditional_Axe on
  • Options
    FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Chuck Austen is my Kryptonite.

Furu on
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    the annie plot was pretty lame, though. except for her and northstar's catty friendship.

Annie: I gave you a sponge bath.
    Havok: I was the nexus of all realities and I fought the Beyonder, the Goblin Queen and Dracula at the same time just like five minutes ago. And despite the fact that I've spent most of my life being all about either Polaris or my douchebag brother's castoffs, let's get married.

That, and they never touched on the last scene with Annie's son in the car... what was that about?

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    How about that Runaways?

GABBO GABBO GABBO on
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    Manifest wrote:
    How about that Runaways?
    I'm intrigued by this 'baseball bat wielding molly on planet hulk' thing...it has potential.

Conditional_Axe on
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    Manifest wrote:
    How about that Runaways?
    I'm intrigued by this 'baseball bat wielding molly on planet hulk' thing...it has potential.

One thing I hope to get out of Whedon's run is a bit more interaction with other Marvel Universe characters.
    While I don't want them spending every issue teaming up with the X-Men, I do find that some of my favorite arcs are the ones dealing with other superfolk. (Both Cloak and Dagger arcs come to mind).

GABBO GABBO GABBO on
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    Manifest wrote:
    Manifest wrote:
    How about that Runaways?

One thing I hope to get out of Whedon's run is a bit more interaction with other Marvel Universe characters.
    While I don't want them spending every issue teaming up with the X-Men, I do find that some of my favorite arcs are the ones dealing with other superfolk. (Both Cloak and Dagger arcs come to mind).
    Unfortunately, they're all going to be pretty one-note unless the gang gets over it's 'fuck you, old people' thing.

'guys, spider-man is an adult, so he obviously wants to screw us over.'

Conditional_Axe on
  • Options
    robosagogorobosagogo Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    I wanna see the Runaways meet Speedball, just to see how they react to the wacky, immature teenage superhero archetype.

But then, he's probably a great deal more grim now.

robosagogo on
  • Options
    SkankPlayaSkankPlaya Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Manifest wrote:
    Manifest wrote:
    How about that Runaways?

Unfortunately, they're all going to be pretty one-note unless the gang gets over it's 'fuck you, old people' thing.

As much as I like seeing team-ups, I don't know about this. I liked the Cloak and Dagger + Runaways in NY thing, but I think I like the Runaways on their own underground stuff more. We don't really get to see them pro-actively take on the baddies as a group. They get thrown into a lot of shit, rather than saying "lets go right some wrongs" which I'd kind of like to see. They did the whole Victor thing, but that was somewhat as a result of them getting info from the future.

SkankPlaya on
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    Manifest wrote:
    Manifest wrote:
    How about that Runaways?

I dunno, it hasn't been a problem thus far, and really, if you were those kids would you trust any adult?

GABBO GABBO GABBO on
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    Manifest wrote:
    Manifest wrote:
    Manifest wrote:
    How about that Runaways?

I dunno, it hasn't been a problem thus far, and really, if you were those kids would you trust any adult?
    you make a good point.

Conditional_Axe on
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    What number is Runaway's up to, anyway? I collected the first arc of the series, then stopped... if Whedon is coming on I should probably fill in the gaps...

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    Sentry wrote:
    What number is Runaway's up to, anyway? I collected the first arc of the series, then stopped... if Whedon is coming on I should probably fill in the gaps...

I think it's issue 19.

GABBO GABBO GABBO on
  • Options
    Target PracticeTarget Practice Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Not completely on-topic, but Brian Vaughan's going to be on NPR's Talk of the Nation tomorrow.

I say "not completely on-topic" because he's there to talk about Pride of Baghdad (which by an astonishing coincidence comes out tomorrow!).

Target Practice on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    Not completely on-topic, but Brian Vaughan's going to be on NPR's Talk of the Nation tomorrow.

I say "not completely on-topic" because he's there to talk about Pride of Baghdad (which by an astonishing coincidence comes out tomorrow!).

I recommend starting a new thread for it.

GABBO GABBO GABBO on
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    Manifest wrote:

Uh.

I really don't feel comfortable making a thread over something so small.

I guess it's from spending so much time in G&T.

Target Practice on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    Manifest wrote:

Uh.

I really don't feel comfortable making a thread over something so small.

I guess it's from spending so much time in G&T.

Make the thread.
    This isn't G&T. We like threads here.

GABBO GABBO GABBO on
  • Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    I've had stuff like that too that I wanted to post but would be a waste of a thread. Why don't we have a chat thread here?

Scooter on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Manifest wrote:
    How about that Runaways?

What's that, now?

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    DarkPrimus wrote:
    Manifest wrote:
    How about that Runaways?

What's that, now?
    Because the series is based so much in characterization, we asked the writer for his brief thoughts on each member of the cast...

Karolina?

“There's something off about that girl. I hardly ever see her with a nice boy.”

Molly?

“She's gonna do a stint as a baseball-bat-wielding jockey. On Planet Hulk.”

Nico?

“Gonna kill her.”

Chase?

“Chase has no real superpowers and is occasionally not so bright. This makes him awesome like me. He will get lots of money and cars.”

Victor?

“Doom is a totally different book. Do your research, knucklehead.”

Xavin?

“Gonna kill her. Him.... it. Them?”

Conditional_Axe on
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    You know, I missed his comment about Karolina last time. That really gives a big clue as to how serious he is. :P

Target Practice on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    Romero ZombieRomero Zombie Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Here are some sketches that were posted on Joe Fridays for the new Runaways...not too shabby. Keep in the mind they are just sketches :D

Linked them because they are kinda big

http://www.newsarama.com/NewJoeFridays/NJF21art/karolina1.jpg
    http://www.newsarama.com/NewJoeFridays/NJF21art/molly8.jpg
    http://www.newsarama.com/NewJoeFridays/NJF21art/victor1.jpg

Romero Zombie on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    I don't like the Molly but Vic and Karolina are lookin' good.

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    I don't like the Vic but Molly and Karolina are lookin' good.
    Fix'd for me.

Though after that horrible artist on YA/Runaways, almost anything looks good.

Target Practice on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    The_LightbringerThe_Lightbringer Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Kinda offtopic but... if molly is a mutant shouldn't she be in that mutant reservation at the x mansion? She is one of the 198 right?

The_Lightbringer on
    LuciferSig.jpg
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited November 2006
    Kinda offtopic but... if molly is a mutant shouldn't she be in that mutant reservation at the x mansion? She is one of the 300 right?

They went through this in the free comic book day special, which was a Runaways/X-Men crossover.

Basically, she's all "no I don't wanna" and then they fight each other and Emma tells everyone to back the hell off and then the X-Men leave.

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    A 12 year old who can beat up Wolverine can do whatever she wants.

Scooter on
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    He did a sketch of Nico that was in Wizards 181. It can be found here. It is pretty awesome.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Due to it's connections to The Runaways, I bring you what appears to be the cover for The Loners' first issue, shown in this week's Joe Fridays at Newsarama.

JP_Loners_1_Clr.jpg

Owenashi on