As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PAX Thursday] The Triwizard Drinking Tournament 2: $4048.83 raised! Ravenclaw Wins!

• Options
    valdorvaldor Registered User regular
    n3rdlink wrote: »
    This looks fantastic. This'll be my first year at PAX so as a noob with this bar crawl can someone point me in the direction of what the house positions responsibilities. I was looking through the old threads and didn't see anything.

Head Girl/Boy (both positions can be whatever gender/no gender/space unicorn/etc., it doesn't actually matter) basically just assist the HoH (Head of House) with their duties. Wrangling people from bar to bar, signing people off, checking them in, coming up with ideas for racking up donations, etc. They're like Vice Heads of House.
    House Elf is a non drinking participant who keeps things rolling in case the rest of the leadership gets too shitfaced to function.

This is directly from a message TOGSolid sent me.

3 time TWDT attendee. One year as House Head Boy and Now Head of House for Slytherin DE.
    4 Year Pax West Attendee
  • Options
    The AviatrixThe Aviatrix Registered User regular
    I find it fascinating that the two "main" houses in the book hardly have any positions filled, yet the two less popular houses are nearly full.

Is it because Ravenclaws and Hufflepuffs are more enthusiastic with their support because they're often ignored in merchandising and such? (NOTICE US!)
    Or is it because the PAX population tends to have more Ravenclaws and Hufflepuffs?
    (Oft forgotten Hufflepuffs who are incredibly friendly and loyal combined with the intelligence driven Ravenclaws at a nerdy event.)

x5XpZBK.pngEz7XjRx.pngml9Z6gf.png
  • Options
    Maybe some one can speak up for this. I do know for sure that Ravenclaw is usually the first to sell out, even though Slytherin is reigning champions and will be this years champs.

3 time TWDT attendee. One year as House Head Boy and Now Head of House for Slytherin DE.
    4 Year Pax West Attendee
  • Options
    TabbyKatTabbyKat Registered User regular
    You also have to take into consideration that people may not be competing with their actual house due to wanting to be with friends. For example I'm a Slytherin who will be in the Gryffdindor OotP group so I can be with my friends (who are a Gryffindor and a Ravenclaw).

• Options
    adele822adele822 Registered User regular
    I find it fascinating that the two "main" houses in the book hardly have any positions filled, yet the two less popular houses are nearly full.

Is it because Ravenclaws and Hufflepuffs are more enthusiastic with their support because they're often ignored in merchandising and such? (NOTICE US!)
    Or is it because the PAX population tends to have more Ravenclaws and Hufflepuffs?
    (Oft forgotten Hufflepuffs who are incredibly friendly and loyal combined with the intelligence driven Ravenclaws at a nerdy event.)

It's because they are the best obviously :P Okay no, but seriously, I think it's just a matter of preference and where your friends are. I've been a part of Hufflepuff (aka Huffledrunk) for the past few years after jumping around from the other Houses. Obviously the entire TWDT is awesome, but I had the MOST fun as a Hufflepuff so I have no plans of changing :D

• Options
    legolego Registered User regular
    As a soon to be transplant to Seattle my liver is ready.

PAX East since 2013, PAX West since 2016
  • Options
    Well witches and wizards, I hope you had lots of luck getting your tickets this year.

4 Year Pax West Attendee
  • Options
    valdor wrote: »
    Well witches and wizards, I hope you had lots of luck getting your tickets this year.

How fast do they usually go?
    DO I NEED TO BE STALKING AS HARD AS I DO FOR BADGES?
    Especially since I'm Ravenclaw... And I don't think I could bear the shame of joining any house but my own.

• Options
    Ha-ha well I was meaning about the actual Pax badges. Sorry about that. As for TWDT passes, I do not know a specific time, but I am pretty sure Ravenclaw does sell out first.

4 Year Pax West Attendee
  • Options
    CrielCriel Registered User regular
    How much are the passes to join a house?

• Options
    edited June 2016
    Oh that was my bad xD
    I read "had" as "have"

But I am now nervous to getting a place in the tourny...

What must I do to prepare?! Should I be following the Twitter?! WILL THAT GIVE ME THE BEST NOTIFICATION?

I saw Zerzhul say one can get 2 tickets at once, and you sign up for your house at that time... But can I get 2 tickets with each for a different house?

So many questions.
    I'd also like to second Criel's question above me.

The Aviatrix on
  • Options
    Criel wrote: »

No charge! There will be a link at some point for tickets, but you get to save your money to spend on booze instead :)

• Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited June 2016
    Oh that was my bad xD
    I read "had" as "have"

What must I do to prepare?! Should I be following the Twitter?! WILL THAT GIVE ME THE BEST NOTIFICATION?

I saw Zerzhul say one can get 2 tickets at once, and you sign up for your house at that time... But can I get 2 tickets with each for a different house?

So many questions.
    I don't think so.
    zero dollars. apparently this was wrong, see below.

zerzhul on
  • Options
    Though I do want to say, this is a charity event still so any donations you can give when checking in would be awesome!

4 Year Pax West Attendee
  • Options
    OptimusbryOptimusbry Event Designer Long Beach CARegistered User regular

This is changing this year. In past years we have asked for a donation at the door to get your kit, which helped cover button purchases, score cards etc with the leftover going into the Child's Play Pool. However in past years we have noticed a steady increase in people signing up for tickets then not showing up. This not only made our teams unbalanced but also hit our charity donation. So, to combat both issues, this year we will be asking for the 5 dollar donation for each ticket you sign up for (still max 2). In doing this we ensure at least a $2000 surplus for the charity pool and it will hopefully help deter people from signing up and not showing up.
    Oh that was my bad xD
    I read "had" as "have"

So many questions.

Follow @PAXTriwizard for updates and ticket announcements. I will say history has shown Hufflepuff and Ravenclaw filling the fastest so if that is your house of choice be vigilant. You can only sign up for 2 tickets per person so if you have a large group have multiple people ready to sign up, we will be looking for people skirting the rules and signing up multiple times.

Nintendo ID: Optimusbry :: Xbox Live: Optimus Bry :: PSN: Optimusbry :: Steam ID: Optimus Bry
  • Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited June 2016
    Edit: Not so sure about asking for a minimum donation upfront anymore

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    Ahhh thanks for all the info!

Do the two tickets I buy have to go to the same house?
    (Example, I am Ravenclaw, friend is Hufflepuff. Can I grab both of our tickets? Or could I only buy 2 Ravenclaws or some such?)

• Options

(Example, I am Ravenclaw, friend is Hufflepuff. Can I grab both of our tickets? Or could I only buy 2 Ravenclaws or some such?)

Nah, they don't. You can get two whatever tickets.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    Optimusbry wrote: »

This is changing this year. In past years we have asked for a donation at the door to get your kit, which helped cover button purchases, score cards etc with the leftover going into the Child's Play Pool. However in past years we have noticed a steady increase in people signing up for tickets then not showing up. This not only made our teams unbalanced but also hit our charity donation. So, to combat both issues, this year we will be asking for the 5 dollar donation for each ticket you sign up for (still max 2). In doing this we ensure at least a $2000 surplus for the charity pool and it will hopefully help deter people from signing up and not showing up.

Oh that's cool. I'll gladly pay a donation upfront if it means more serious participants.

• Options
    TOGSolid wrote: »

Nah, they don't. You can get two whatever tickets.

WOO HOO! Thanks.

I confess, I am the better stalker.

• Options
    Oh, and the official word regarding event ticket sales is SOON™*. I'm waiting for one last piece to slide into place and then I can let it all rip. Same goes for the Dinner ticket sales.

*I promise not Valve time soon

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    InitialdorInitialdor Seattle's Carl Registered User regular
    Carl returns! Yeahehhahah! We're gonna blow the lid off the joint this year! TOG, you are the friggin MAN!

2018 West: Badges [x] TWDT [Rclaw TT] Cosplay: Still bald. Still single. Still lovin' it!
    "Fantasy football still counts as fantasy." -DnD Greg
  • Options
    faroffpugfaroffpug Registered User regular
    If slytherin Ootp still needs a head boy and head girl, my fiance and I totally want to be!! I was head girl for bullet club last year :)

Bullet Club Head Girl 2015
    Slytherin OotP Head of House 2016
    3 years at PAX West
    Overwatch trash meme
  • Options
    Initialdor wrote: »
    Carl returns! Yeahehhahah! We're gonna blow the lid off the joint this year! TOG, you are the friggin MAN!
    FOREIGNERRRRR!!!!!

faroffpug wrote: »
    If slytherin Ootp still needs a head boy and head girl, my fiance and I totally want to be!! I was head girl for bullet club last year :)

Paging @AKReign !!!

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    DemonsMasterDemonsMaster Registered User regular
    I did the bar crawl in South for my first time and had an absolute blast. Never did it for Prime but this year I'm gonna try to come!

Pax Prime (West) '13, '14, '15, '16.
    Pax South '16
    Pax Prime 2015 Omeganaut
  • Options
    I did the bar crawl in South for my first time and had an absolute blast. Never did it for Prime but this year I'm gonna try to come!

Yay! The TWDT is a pretty amazing event and I've met so many absolutely rad people each time.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    ikelewisikelewis Awesome Redmond, WARegistered User regular
    edited June 2016
    I've been working on something really cool with @TOGSolid.
    T-Shirts!
    qng4bcgfw93e.png
    More info coming soon.
    0laczdnap1s3.png

ikelewis on
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    And I encourage anyone who wants to work on something for the TWDT to have it! I'll help with whatever needs helping with (logistics, resources, feedback, etc.) for anyone wanting to do stuff for the crawl!

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    Initialdor wrote: »

Carl, besides, the crawl itself, you are one of the things I look forward to at the TWDT. Not sure why, but seeing your cosplay makes me happy.

valdor on
    4 Year Pax West Attendee
  • Options
    industrialgirlindustrialgirl Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    @valdor If there hasn't been a volunteer for head girl for Slytherin Death Eaters, I volunteer. I was one of the heads of the War Riggers last year. I've also been a Slytherin Death Eater in the past.

industrialgirl on
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    @valdor If there hasn't been a volunteer for head girl for Slytherin Death Eaters, I volunteer. I was one of the heads of the War Riggers last year. I've also been a Slytherin Death Eater in the past.

Awesome. Thank you very much. Sounds like I have some experienced people to help me stumble through my first year as HoH. I hope to have some cool things to bring to auction off during the event.

valdor on
    4 Year Pax West Attendee
  • Options
    evermore904evermore904 Registered User regular
    So, I admit, I've never done this before (last year was my first PAX and I wasn't legal then anyway). That being said, I do want to participate in some way shape or form this year...but I'm not totally sold on getting hammered the night before PAX, mostly because I haven't had the chance to get to the point where I know my limits. I see at the top there that the house elves of the teams are non-drinking members, which sounds ideal for me except I don't know how this thing works, really. Is that a strike against me? :?

• Options
    rahnawynrahnawyn Registered User regular
    Heck YES. This is the first year where I'm (a) going to PAX and (b) legal, so I'm so excited for this!

(It gives me an excuse to wear my Ravenclaw robes & tie and have my wand, so that's also a plus.)

• Options
    So, I admit, I've never done this before (last year was my first PAX and I wasn't legal then anyway). That being said, I do want to participate in some way shape or form this year...but I'm not totally sold on getting hammered the night before PAX, mostly because I haven't had the chance to get to the point where I know my limits. I see at the top there that the house elves of the teams are non-drinking members, which sounds ideal for me except I don't know how this thing works, really. Is that a strike against me? :?

Not at all. Yes, House Elves are none drinking members that just do general assisting with the general duties of signing score cards, collecting donations, herding the group from bar to bar and making sure people are safe.

....or were you talking about the TWDT itself?

4 Year Pax West Attendee
  • Options

You still have a couple months to prepare ;)

• Options
    TabbyKatTabbyKat Registered User regular

If you choose to participate know a couple things.
    1. There is a dinner before hand which will help.
    2. One of the challenges is water every bar (which is magical).
    3. If you have to drop out early from drinking for your own safety/well being, no one will be upset with you. The goal is for everyone to have fun while raising money for charity. Drinking is only one part (albeit a rather large part) of the event.

• Options
    evermore904evermore904 Registered User regular

You still have a couple months to prepare ;)

Oh, if only. Unfortunately, my next couple months will consist of working full time to pay for the trip. No drinking for me unless I want to be trying to work with a hangover--which I have done, once, and I'm not eager to repeat the experience. xD

• Options
    Rhea_starstormRhea_starstorm Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    How much money do people usually spend on drinking during this event? How many bars do you go to?

• Options
    whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    I, as a not-at-all-light drinker, usually drop >$100.

5 stops, 4 bars (start and finish at the same bar)

Is it PAX <insert nearest future PAX here> yet?
  • Options
    whypick1 wrote: »
    I, as a not-at-all-light drinker, usually drop >$100.

5 stops, 4 bars (start and finish at the same bar)

This whole thing is for a fund raiser, does this include whatever you drop for the fund raiser or is this strictly for drinks?

This discussion has been closed.