As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

West 2016 [Registration] is live!

• BluemeaneBluemeane Registered User regular
    YoungFrey wrote: »
    If they jacked up the price, you'd see fewer: families, women, and minorities. PAX prides itself on its inclusivity.

WOW! All I can say... If ever there was a post that should be edited or removed this is one of them.... lolz. WOW.

jj0mqt5d2a94.png

PAAAAAAAAAAAAAAXXXXXXXXXXX!
  • jukkakhanjukkakhan Registered User regular
    I had a feeling it'd be this week because next week it's all about E3. Glad I was right! I was literally standing up to go to lunch when all my alerts went off so I plopped back down and dug in. Got in roughly within a minute of the tweet and I was able to pick passes around 1:13. Man, what a rush. Between the actual check out, coordinating with friends, and talking to my PAXen friends on Twitter, I totally forgot to actually take my lunch. Luckily my coworker is cool and didn't mind me sneaking out for a sandwich, then Twittering for another 30 minutes :D

PimDtoK.png
  • zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited June 2016
    YoungFrey wrote: »
    If they jacked up the price, you'd see fewer: families, women, and minorities. PAX prides itself on its inclusivity.
    While pax does pride itself on inclusivity, I don't think that equating families, women, and minorities with not being able to afford a higher price is on-message with that inclusivity.

Raising the price would indeed exclude people who can not afford a higher price. There are historically groups who are systematically discriminated against in ways that impact their financial status or because of their financial status. These things can be stated independently without calling the people in those groups poor. I am giving you the benefit of the doubt though in that you didn't intend to say it that way.

zerzhul on
  • BluemeaneBluemeane Registered User regular
    I got really lucky. I was in the queue, out, and purchased within 4 minutes!!! I got in maybe 30 seconds after the tweet. Thanks to the Java PAX checker.

jj0mqt5d2a94.png

PAAAAAAAAAAAAAAXXXXXXXXXXX!
  • Sgt.MaysSgt.Mays Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2016
    Bluemeane wrote: »
    I got really lucky. I was in the queue, out, and purchased within 4 minutes!!! I got in maybe 30 seconds after the tweet. Thanks to the Java PAX checker.

Same here, thanks to TweetDeck and my phone that went off almost at the exact same time.

Was on the page in i guess 15-30 seconds, and in 4 minutes was done as well.

Sgt.Mays on
    Gaymer, Nerd and Fan of Freeman's Mind/Half-life/GTA/Red Vs Blue

Attended: East 14, 15 and West 16
    Attending West 2019
  • domina_fortunadomina_fortuna Registered User regular
    PAXChecker saved my bacon. I was just getting off of lunch and my laptop erupted into alarm-filled chaos.
    3 4-day sets. Couldn't be happier. It took about ~12 minutes for me--didn't finalize until 1:20.

• VolkatVolkat SANVERS WARRIOR T-town, WARegistered User regular
    I managed to get badges, but the hotel was a no go. The site had me in queue with about 800 ahead of me. The site let me in to check reservations and I wasn't even in for a minute before it booted me out and put me back in queue with 1100 ahead of me. I waited it out again and the same thing happened. I didn't refresh or anything, so I'm confused and little disappointed. Fortunately, some friends are letting me stay in their room, but still.

SOON.
  • Travman93Travman93 Billings, MTRegistered User regular
    RiDE wrote: »
    How come nobody has offered the real solution: buy the state of Montana and hold all PAX there? Plenty of room, and the 15 people living there won't mind (probably)

As a Montanan who is attending PAX this year, all I can say is please make that happen.

• Nathan WindNathan Wind Colorado Springs, CORegistered User regular
    Volkat wrote: »
    I managed to get badges, but the hotel was a no go. The site had me in queue with about 800 ahead of me. The site let me in to check reservations and I wasn't even in for a minute before it booted me out and put me back in queue with 1100 ahead of me. I waited it out again and the same thing happened. I didn't refresh or anything, so I'm confused and little disappointed. Fortunately, some friends are letting me stay in their room, but still.

Same here -- got thru the hotel queue twice in the first 40 minutes or so and got booted both times waiting for the site to load. Said I had left the waiting area. Ended up snagging a room at the Fairmont but will watch the site each day hoping to get closer and a room with two beds. Me and my two 6ft plus teens need moar beds!

PAX Prime 14, 15
    PAX West 16, 17
    My Rig: I7 7700K, Aorus K5, 32GB RipJaws V, Samsung 960 PCIe 256 & 500, Zotac 1080Ti
  • IncreaseBlueIncreaseBlue Registered User regular
    I'm bummed to hear everyone had hotel queue issues. Everything worked fine for me, as opposed to last year when I kept getting booted from the site.

• Nathan WindNathan Wind Colorado Springs, CORegistered User regular
    Sigh, was stalking the site constantly for last two weeks with no joy, decided to go for an errand and boom get the Twitter notifications at 102pm. Unfortunately I was in line to checkout and in a giant metal box store with crap cell signal. Took me another four minutes to get in queue, ended up waiting almost an hour to find Saturday sold out. Sigh. At least I got Fri and Sunday. Hopefully I wont get reamed too hard buying 3 Saturday tickets on Ebay or StubHub. Wont go that route until August though. Last year I was able to grab a couple sets when the reclaimed passes went up.

PAX Prime 14, 15
    PAX West 16, 17
    My Rig: I7 7700K, Aorus K5, 32GB RipJaws V, Samsung 960 PCIe 256 & 500, Zotac 1080Ti
  • RedtailRedtail Registered User regular
    I was in the middle of searching a shelf for a document that someone came to pick up when my dumbphone chimed the text noise. It took my brain a moment to read 40404, as I also get texts from a 42604 number. In three strides I was back to my work station, pulled up the Pax Twitter and joined the queue

Then when it was time for badges, I had to pass a customer off to a friend. I normally work in the back but today I was at the front desk.
    "Hey can you guys cover me for a sec? I need like five minutes"

I grabbed a Friday and Saturday with excitement running in my veins. It was great.
    Then one of the higher ups told me I should go for the full set so I jumped back into the queue for Sunday and Monday.

I'll be my first time going for the whole week. I'm feeling pretty ampted. I think I'll even take Amtrak up since this is my one 'big thing' all year.

• evermore904evermore904 Registered User regular
    Sigh, was stalking the site constantly for last two weeks with no joy, decided to go for an errand and boom get the Twitter notifications at 102pm. Unfortunately I was in line to checkout and in a giant metal box store with crap cell signal. Took me another four minutes to get in queue, ended up waiting almost an hour to find Saturday sold out. Sigh. At least I got Fri and Sunday. Hopefully I wont get reamed too hard buying 3 Saturday tickets on Ebay or StubHub. Wont go that route until August though. Last year I was able to grab a couple sets when the reclaimed passes went up.

Psst...check out the PAXPassExchange reddit. You'll have to get lucky to snag Saturdays there, but you won't get reamed if you do! They price cap at $10 above face value :)

• krae_mankrae_man Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    The twitter notification took two minutes this time. That almost screwed me but I was able to get tickets to every day. I would have refreshed the page at 4pm on the button but I was busy with a customer at the time. I had my flights purchased already. That was way too much stress. Also the queue taking way longer then last year resulted in me not working for a length of time that was becoming problematic.

krae_man on
  • TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited June 2016
    Was in traffic when the sales went up because I didn't think they'd go on sale after 12. That was definitely a moment of dread when suddenly my phone went berserk with notifications while I was driving down I5. >_>

Thankfully friends had my back this year. Wewt!

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • evermore904evermore904 Registered User regular
    One of my friends texted me desperately as soon as the tweet went out because he was in class and couldn't stare at his computer without risking his professor's wrath. He was pretty relieved when I told him I was in the queue already.

• The AviatrixThe Aviatrix Registered User regular
    I love reading all the posts of people being covered by friends and vice versa.

It just highlights why PAX is so great to me.

x5XpZBK.pngEz7XjRx.pngml9Z6gf.png
  • SpeedRacer20SpeedRacer20 Registered User regular
    Remember folks, downtown Seattle isn't the only place with hotels. Check the surrounding areas, traffic heading into the city if the weather is nice should not be that bad, you can always rent a car, use the bus, or take advantage of Uber or other ride sharing companies. You probably will save a ton of money if you branch out of the downtown area.

I love reading all the posts of people being covered by friends and vice versa.

It just highlights why PAX is so great to me.

In all seriousness if it wasn't for PAX and the people I've met here I'd be in a seriously shitty place. This community is basically the best.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • PookyAlertPookyAlert Registered User regular
    The only thing that makes the wait worthwhile is the community. :smile:

• ddt58ddt58 Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I hooked up two sets of badges in the Club PA pre-sale this year, so I was only loosely following the thread and twitter. I wanted to spend Friday night in a hotel with my son as a treat. We are local so we just bus in normally. I did not see the tweets until 4 PM. I still was able to get Friday night at the Hyatt. Sheraton was sold out. If you did not get badges, there has been a very brief second chance sale the last two years, so there is still a chance if you are vigilant and lucky.

• mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    Remember folks, downtown Seattle isn't the only place with hotels. Check the surrounding areas, traffic heading into the city if the weather is nice should not be that bad, you can always rent a car, use the bus, or take advantage of Uber or other ride sharing companies. You probably will save a ton of money if you branch out of the downtown area.

Yeah, just find a place that has a direct bus/rail connection and it's easy. Buy an ORCA card when you get here, put enough money on to cover the con weekend, and you don't even have to worry about exact change and such.

mcdermott on
    Don't underestimate the value of being able to get to and from your hotel quickly to drop stuff off. You don't want to be a pack mule all day.

• StingrayXStingrayX Redding, CARegistered User regular
    Registered on my phone...barely made it! PAX WEST here we come!

StingrayX.png
  • havok978havok978 Baltimore, MdRegistered User regular
    krae_man wrote: »
    Don't underestimate the value of being able to get to and from your hotel quickly to drop stuff off. You don't want to be a pack mule all day.

This is my thing. I've done both, but for me its just so much better being able to run to the room in 5 mins to drop something off or chill for a few minutes to get off my feet and away from the crowds.

XyqJPIp.png
  • zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    I have also done both, but I'd rather pack mule than miss pax due to being overbudget ;)

• cbelleviecbellevie Registered User regular

The #1 reason we don't grab a really easy bus from the eastside every year. I bring my son and between the two of us, eventually we end up carrying too much stuff and its priceless being able to pop into the garage and unburden ourselves of whatever you have picked up throughout the day.

• YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    zerzhul wrote: »
    I have also done both, but I'd rather pack mule than miss pax due to being overbudget ;)
    I can save $500 by staying at a hotel a 1/2 mi away. That is more than my food and airfare budget. If I walk there and back twice a day for 4 days, that makes each walk about $32. So the question is, would I walk 1/2 a mile to earn $32? That is an effective rate of $173/hr.

YoungFrey on
  • StingrayXStingrayX Redding, CARegistered User regular
    Same. I don't mind being a pack mule, extra exercise...plus the extra money saving on hotels used on buying more stuff at the event. Win/Win.

StingrayX.png
  • cbelleviecbellevie Registered User regular
    Bluemeane wrote: »

More or less my experience. Had my email receipt from ReedPOP by 1:08 and would have been sooner if I was not actively explaining a bug to a dev on the computer while I was buying tickets.

Fortunately, really understanding dev!

I'm bummed to hear everyone had hotel queue issues. Everything worked fine for me, as opposed to last year when I kept getting booted from the site.

I got through the hotel queue faster despite going in that like 5 minutes later. Grabbed the Westin no problems. I may try and switch to the Sheraton later if it comes up to try them but I do like Westin's proximity to Top Pot.

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular

Having a close enough hotel means you don't need to worry about public restrooms, either. Perfect for someone who has difficulty going with other people in the room, like me!

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Heh, apparently Activision announced a new Call of Duty XP event.

September 2nd-4th.

Maybe they're hoping to nab some people who were planning on going to PAX but were unable to get tickets.

Obvious answer: no.

Doubling the space, even if it doubled badges sold (it won't), still means you have 5x demand over supply (instead of 10x). So an eight minute Saturday sellout instead of four.

Also annoyed seeing the "two hour" sellout number. I was in 54 minutes after announcement, I wasn't getting tickets. It was a ten, maybe twenty minute sellout.

Wish showclix could release numbers for "latest entry into queue to secure badges for (day)," they'd be enlightening.

Oh, and FUCK buying a house in Seattle. We were looking in the city proper, like Northgate all the way down to Beacon Hill and beyond. Especially in the inner area, a single-family home was just unobtainable. House in Fremont or Ballard, 900 sq feet, no yard, nothing to code, barely livable, body of previous hoarder owner still rotting upstairs, family of raccoons willing to fight over bedrooms, yard overgrown and possibly harboring endangered species, mild fire damage, no off street parking, nothing fixed or upgraded since 1957? Asking price $400K?

Sells day one on a $650K cash offer.

mcdermott wrote: »
    Oh, and FUCK buying a house in Seattle. We were looking in the city proper, like Northgate all the way down to Beacon Hill and beyond. Especially in the inner area, a single-family home was just unobtainable. House in Fremont or Ballard, 900 sq feet, no yard, nothing to code, barely livable, body of previous hoarder owner still rotting upstairs, family of raccoons willing to fight over bedrooms, yard overgrown and possibly harboring endangered species, mild fire damage, no off street parking, nothing fixed or upgraded since 1957? Asking price $400K?

Seriously. Seattle housing is giga-fucked. I'd love to live in the city but it's basically impossible unless you're proper rich or have a multiple income family / roommate thing going and fuck all of that. I eventually want to own my very own private place with no one else there to bother me which means Seattle is going to be completely out of the question.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • vespachicavespachica SeattleRegistered User regular

This is super off topic, I realize, but I empathize. We decided to stay in Shoreline and it's STILL super freaking competitive. Like, cut throat competitive. At least we have a good school district, though, so there's that.

ufq9gj8383nh.png

• SkeleVaderSkeleVader Your Friendly Dark Lord of Destruction Registered User regular

Obvious answer: no.

Doubling the space, even if it doubled badges sold (it won't), still means you have 5x demand over supply (instead of 10x). So an eight minute Saturday sellout instead of four.

Also annoyed seeing the "two hour" sellout number. I was in 54 minutes after announcement, I wasn't getting tickets. It was a ten, maybe twenty minute sellout.

Wish showclix could release numbers for "latest entry into queue to secure badges for (day)," they'd be enlightening.

I would love to see that data and it would be very useful, but just like the "two hour" sell out time, it would have its own issues. Tickets are not sold out until you physically can not buy them anymore. There were people that found out about the sale half an hour, or so, late and were still able to buy all four days by finding a friend that had an unused queue open on another browser, or people that had the Pax checker program running. It automatically put them in the queue and were able to walk up to their computer an hour after the sale and still but all four days.
    Line manipulation is a thing in the digital world just like it is in the real world. Tickets are not gone until they are actually sold.

IhtGIyi.png
    BTW Seattle housing was mentioned in the linked article, that wasn't completely random. ;)