As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Fighting Games Part 423: Now is the winter of our discount Xrd

• JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    i went online during a lunchbreak, i dont think its possible to be worse at revelator than I am, ahahaha.

im gonna try to play Ky, he seems easy

• DaebunzDaebunz Registered User regular
    Sol is also fairly easy imo, but a lot of his inputs need to be done somewhat quickly so that may or may not be up your alley

7yh4xczljsym.png
    i generally prefer slower characters because my fingers are stupid, i do like Sol but the character guide said "Aggressive style" and that's not me

• KnobKnob TURN THE BEAT BACK InternetModerator mod
    Every character in gg is aggressive to an extent

The game fucks you up hard for trying to be passive

• fRAWRstfRAWRst The Seas Call The Mad AnswerRegistered User regular
    edited June 2016
    got a lobby in new england 1 for xrd r

fRAWRst on
    J3qcnBP.png
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    Anyone on playing Xrd on a stick without crushing your fingers? :(

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    Curses, I could not find a physical copy of Revelator.

No beach balls tonight.

• EuphemonEuphemon itsudemo sagashiteiruyo dokka ni kimi no sugata woRegistered User regular
    So I hit Gold rank in SFV two days ago. Feels good. I have not exactly been grinding Ranked mode at all for a long while and decided to just hop on. Went from Silver to Gold with only two losses. On a 13 win streak as I type. I feel like i need to be put in my place so if anyone wants to do some friendly matches against my Mika or my Alex, I'm on PS4 and my CFN handle is ReadAbook.

I have been very tempted at trying out GGXrd. I have never competitively played a GG game and it looks like this one may have some more lifespan to it.

Still around? Want to play? My CFN is VikingKong.

iG3kv1d.png
  • FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    I forget, does Revelator have PS4/PC crossplay or no

revelator is not out for pc

it has ps3/ps4 crossplay

also im on if anyone wants to play

J3qcnBP.png
    i snuck in 30 minutes before bed... learned some Ky stuff and played one match online, retired a champion

I think I can get along with Ky. I like his sword a lot.

I didn't know anything about raven at all

Hes cool as Fuuuuuuck

• vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    I'm debating buying Revelator. I didn't play XRD that much. But the next BlazBlue won't be releasing for a bit.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • ImperatorXXVImperatorXXV Registered User regular
    Euphemon wrote: »

Logged off a bit before you posted but I will add you and we should run some sets in the future for sure.

r7r7a0.gif
    so not gouken seems to have big links and lots of motion moves that can be charged. he can also move his enemy and move his fireballs anytime he wants by holding a direction

hes beefy as fuck

havent tried raven yet but his fireball has insane meaty setups

J3qcnBP.png
  • WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    So Today I Learned that Mike, the SF1 not-Balrog, started fighting to raise money to help the poor in his neighborhood. He also started teaching children how to box. What a nice guy.

Also, he and Joe are different from the dudes in the SF2 intro apparently, who have been named as Max (Balrog-lite, addicted to gambling) and Scott (whose fashion sense is still stuck in the 80s).

fRAWRst wrote: »
    so not gouken seems to have big links and lots of motion moves that can be charged. he can also move his enemy and move his fireballs anytime he wants by holding a direction

hes beefy as fuck

that sounds a lot more complex than I was hoping

7yh4xczljsym.png
  • I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    fRAWRst wrote: »

hes beefy as fuck

that sounds a lot more complex than I was hoping

guilty gear dot txt

liEt3nH.png
    Holy fuck

I need to git gud

https://youtu.be/daCc2gUYg8w

• KilroyKilroy timaeusTestified Registered User regular
    Jasconius wrote: »
    i went online during a lunchbreak, i dont think its possible to be worse at revelator than I am, ahahaha.

im gonna try to play Ky, he seems easy

ky is da bes

• l_gl_g Registered User regular
    i generally prefer slower characters because my fingers are stupid, i do like Sol but the character guide said "Aggressive style" and that's not me

Even the less aggressive characters that would superficially be thought of as passive zoners have to operate in a slightly different mindset in the world of GG. A good example is that Faust has many of the properties associated with poking/zoning characters (lots of long normals, lack of any real reversals, relatively slow aerial movement, etc.), but it is often against his interests to just sit back and wait for the enemy to come to him. If he does that, it actually gives his opponents a chance to set up abilities and then take a run at him. Instead, he has to use his big normals to box his opponents in as well as smack them out of their attempts to set up projectiles or whatever else that would shield their approach. Reading and reacting to your opponent's approach is a part of his game, but suppressing your opponent's action by aggressively reaching in to their space as well as pre-emptively shutting down their jumps is an even bigger part.

Faust is also highly recommended for beginners because he has some of the lowest execution requirements of any character in GG, and this has been true for over a decade. However, because of his relatively slower normals and lack of any real reversal or fully invincible move, there are a number of matchups where he has to pay attention or else his opponent gets in on him for free... and that usually spells doom because he has an especially large hitbox when being juggled to reward his opponent for getting in on him.
    Cantido wrote: »

You gotta hit a lot of buttons in GG. Some characters are worse than others in this regard. Even the big slow grappler, Potemkin, needs to from time to time.

I like to think of a very simple but surprisingly easy to forget thing which a piano teacher once told me:
    "Faster, not louder!"

There's a tendency to use more "force" when what we want is more speed. To a certain physical extent this is true (force = mass * acceleration), but in terms of buttons it means we do things like striking the button with more force as well as maintaining that force on the buttons for longer. This puts more stress on your fingers and the joints of your fingers. You don't need to hit buttons like you're going to push your fingers through the joystick box. You just need to push the button and then lift your finger/thumb off of it, but this is a pretty easy thing to forget when things get heated!

Cole's Law: "Thinly sliced cabbage."
    Kum is stupid

She feels like azreal from blazblue and her inputs are stupid and her weird timings and commands are stupid

6P, though. Her 6P is a-ok

• ImperatorXXVImperatorXXV Registered User regular
    I'm not a huge Maximillian fan, I only catch some of his streams but after hearing him flat out say GGxrd is a better game than SFV I feel like my wallet is doomed to pick it up now. My only hesitation is lack of online competition as I really don't ever make it to locals enough to get good in that respect. Anyone able to report on its online traffic?

r7r7a0.gif
    if I recall xrds was pretty good when playing with people you know arent on fisher price internet/forumers and "not the worst" vs randos

dunno if revelator made any improvements

7yh4xczljsym.png
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    l_g wrote: »

Even the less aggressive characters that would superficially be thought of as passive zoners have to operate in a slightly different mindset in the world of GG. A good example is that Faust has many of the properties associated with poking/zoning characters (lots of long normals, lack of any real reversals, relatively slow aerial movement, etc.), but it is often against his interests to just sit back and wait for the enemy to come to him. If he does that, it actually gives his opponents a chance to set up abilities and then take a run at him. Instead, he has to use his big normals to box his opponents in as well as smack them out of their attempts to set up projectiles or whatever else that would shield their approach. Reading and reacting to your opponent's approach is a part of his game, but suppressing your opponent's action by aggressively reaching in to their space as well as pre-emptively shutting down their jumps is an even bigger part.

Faust is also highly recommended for beginners because he has some of the lowest execution requirements of any character in GG, and this has been true for over a decade. However, because of his relatively slower normals and lack of any real reversal or fully invincible move, there are a number of matchups where he has to pay attention or else his opponent gets in on him for free... and that usually spells doom because he has an especially large hitbox when being juggled to reward his opponent for getting in on him.

You gotta hit a lot of buttons in GG. Some characters are worse than others in this regard. Even the big slow grappler, Potemkin, needs to from time to time.

I like to think of a very simple but surprisingly easy to forget thing which a piano teacher once told me:
    "Faster, not louder!"

There's a tendency to use more "force" when what we want is more speed. To a certain physical extent this is true (force = mass * acceleration), but in terms of buttons it means we do things like striking the button with more force as well as maintaining that force on the buttons for longer. This puts more stress on your fingers and the joints of your fingers. You don't need to hit buttons like you're going to push your fingers through the joystick box. You just need to push the button and then lift your finger/thumb off of it, but this is a pretty easy thing to forget when things get heated!

I'm not even talking about complex characters.

I cannot be ready to press the four major buttons while reaching my pinky out for the Dust button. It is physically painful to Gear on a stick.
    Knob wrote: »
    I didn't know anything about raven at all

Hes cool as Fuuuuuuck

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hh1onX6fBYQ

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • ph blakeph blake Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    l_g wrote: »

"Faster, not louder!"

I'm not even talking about complex characters.

I cannot be ready to press the four major buttons while reaching my pinky out for the Dust button. It is physically painful to Gear on a stick.

What button setup are you using? Standard GG layout is:

K S HS
    P - D

which is just SF layout with no MK.

ph blake on
    7h8wnycre6vs.png
    huh, i guess I should get a button layout before I get too ingrained

the bone stock Revelator button setup is

p s d
    k hs

• WaltWalt Waller Arcane Enchanted Frozen ElectrifiedRegistered User regular
    Man, Injustice was such a kick ass fighting game until they started releasing busted ass DLC characters. Even after it's still kinda awesome, and the single player ruled.

Really looking forward to Injustice 2. Injustice and MKX restored my faith in Netherrealm to make surprisingly-honest-but-check-this-bonkers-mixup fighting games.

• ph blakeph blake Registered User regular
    huh, i guess I should get a button layout before I get too ingrained

the bone stock Revelator button setup is

p s d
    k hs

I like HS above D because D is basically a sweep button. It also keeps it out of the way so you can RC by hitting all three top buttons without getting a burst.

Some people get really weird about swapping K and P, but fuck those people do what you want. That said, having K S HS all on the top row just makes sense to me, since those are all the most common pokes/combo starters and most character's P attacks are used in a more utility role.

7h8wnycre6vs.png
    SUPERGIRL! GUYVER ARMOR! WOOOOOO

I use

P K D
    S H

for GG. I'm a rebel. I'm balls out.

• EuphemonEuphemon itsudemo sagashiteiruyo dokka ni kimi no sugata woRegistered User regular
    Euphemon wrote: »

Logged off a bit before you posted but I will add you and we should run some sets in the future for sure.

@ me here when you wanna run sets, I'm free most of the time.

iG3kv1d.png
    re: injustice 2
    At NetherRealm, we always want to make games that are fun, challenging and innovative. We strive to give players a level of control that makes playing our games a truly personal experience. For that reason, we have introduced a brand new Gear System, allowing players to build their own version of Superman, their Batman and ultimately, their Injustice Universe.

The Gear System uses RPG-like mechanics to reward you with loot drops every time you play the game. With each loot drop, you will earn character-specific gear to outfit and power up your roster – changing not only the look of each character, but your fight strategy and your personal approach to every match. As you gear up your characters, you’re building a roster of DC Super Heroes and Super-Villains that reflects your choices, and your preferences, which can be vastly different than your opponents. A few play sessions in, you can expect your Aquaman to look and play different than anyone else’s Aquaman you may come across.

I desperately hope setting these up aren't gonna be like gems all over again because loot drops that arent purely cosmetic sounds like buttass

7yh4xczljsym.png
  • ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    I liked loot drops ok in soul calibur, where there was a loot mode and non-loot mode for multi, but if its not optional that would be very bad

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
    edited June 2016
    if they're unlockable via clear progression and easily selectable pre match then it might be ok

like if tournament setups will have everything unlocked and the game allows you to pick from complete sets to speed up that process so that pre match setup doesnt take eons

Daebunz on
    7yh4xczljsym.png
  • WaltWalt Waller Arcane Enchanted Frozen ElectrifiedRegistered User regular
    They pulled of Variations really nicely in MKX, I'd love to see a deeper system provided you can very quickly do the setup for tournament play.

Even if the game isn't a tournament game I'm still hype for the campaign.

• Folken FanelFolken Fanel anime af When's KoFRegistered User regular
    Knob wrote: »
    SUPERGIRL! GUYVER ARMOR! WOOOOOO

I use

P K D
    S H

for GG. I'm a rebel. I'm balls out.

Get out

Twitter: Folken_fgc Steam: folken_ XBL: flashg03 PSN: folken_PA SFV: folken_
    Dyvim Tvar wrote: »
    Characters I hate:

Everybody @Folken Fanel plays as.
  • chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    re: injustice 2
    At NetherRealm, we always want to make games that are fun, challenging and innovative. We strive to give players a level of control that makes playing our games a truly personal experience. For that reason, we have introduced a brand new Gear System, allowing players to build their own version of Superman, their Batman and ultimately, their Injustice Universe.

The Gear System uses RPG-like mechanics to reward you with loot drops every time you play the game. With each loot drop, you will earn character-specific gear to outfit and power up your roster – changing not only the look of each character, but your fight strategy and your personal approach to every match. As you gear up your characters, you’re building a roster of DC Super Heroes and Super-Villains that reflects your choices, and your preferences, which can be vastly different than your opponents. A few play sessions in, you can expect your Aquaman to look and play different than anyone else’s Aquaman you may come across.

I desperately hope setting these up aren't gonna be like gems all over again because loot drops that arent purely cosmetic sounds like buttass

Just wait for the micro-transactions.

• blaze_zeroblaze_zero Registered User regular
    Never

Stop

Fishing

The part of me that played 8,000 hours of injustice with my kids thinks that sounds fucking amazing

The part of me that likes entering and watching tournaments thinks that sounds like fucking shit

The part of me that runs the local weekly and has to constantly deal with people not able to properly hook up, config, and tear down their controllers even in games that make it piss easy like skullgirls and gg

That part wants to set NRS on fire

This discussion has been closed.