As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Programming] Mirror, mirror, on the wall, show the git diff for them all

• mightyjongyomightyjongyo Sour Crrm East Bay, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    21" to 5.4" is uh bit too much of a decrease for me

Even as a daily vim user, the idea of vim on a phone keyboard is terrifying.

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    it's not really the screen size that kills me

it's the typing

there's always a computer nearby unless I'm on vacation

if I'm on vacation, tough shit

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited June 2016
    The one time I edited on a phone it was on a weekend, during a fucking Seahawks game, and they needed a blob of validation code disabled because that project was a fucking nightmare of reasons. So I just went in and commented it out directly in TFS so that they would stop fucking calling me.

admanb on
    admanb wrote: »
    The one time I edited on a phone it was on a weekend, during a fucking Seahawks game, and they needed a blob of validation code disabled because that project was a fucking nightmare of reasons. So I just went in and commented it out directly in TFS so that they would stop fucking calling me.

"oh sorry I'm losing reception I'm at 1 ba..." *switches to airplane mode*

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    21" to 5.4" is uh bit too much of a decrease for me

Even as a daily vim user, the idea of vim on a phone keyboard is terrifying.

On a phone keyboard it would be unusable shit.

I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    This CUDA project is very annoying. I keep trying to explain how we need the algorithms designed and every time I unroll the loops and branches the other programmer comes through and adds the branches and loops back in to "make the code more maintainable." And then bitches that the performance is terrible.

Monday I'm going to have a chat with the partner and at least get this guy off the project if he keeps refusing to understand CUDA devices actually work.

• EtheaEthea Registered User regular
    This CUDA project is very annoying. I keep trying to explain how we need the algorithms designed and every time I unroll the loops and branches the other programmer comes through and adds the branches and loops back in to "make the code more maintainable." And then bitches that the performance is terrible.

Monday I'm going to have a chat with the partner and at least get this guy off the project if he keeps refusing to understand CUDA devices actually work.

Branching is fine as long as all units inside the warp branch the same way ( if somebody is replacing your SIMD style bit mask branching :fists:). Have you tried using the #pragma unroll instead of manually unrolling, I have had decent results with that approach.

So I'm moving team and one of the things the new team will be doing is doing javascripty web front end stuff that none of the other 3 peeps on the team have done aor myself.

After quickly checking the state of Flex cross compiling to JavaScript and rejecting it as not mature enough yet I've done a quick tour of other tech.

We will have to be maintaining a legacy Angular app but will also be doing green field development. Can anyone convince me otherwise that React isn't the clear and obvious choice for the green field development?

Bear in mind i think that two way databinding is the devil.

I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

• NogsNogs Crap, crap, mega crap. Crap, crap, mega crap.Registered User regular
    React is great!

But you should also give fair weight to both Angular 2 and Ember.

rotate.jpg
    PARKER, YOU'RE FIRED! <-- My comic book podcast! Satan look here!
  • djmitchelladjmitchella Registered User regular
    How big do you expect this project to get? Do you want to make your own build chain, or are you okay with taking a pre-baked one someone else has made for you? If the answers to those are "pretty big", and "yeah, someone else can sort that out for me", then Ember is definitely worth a look. (it used to do two-way data binding a lot but they've moved away from that pretty enthusiastically these days).

(or if you like the Angular way of doing things, there's angular-cli, which is Angular's copy of Ember's build approach. Just like how Ember's DOM building now does things the way React does, there is a lot of cross-pollination between the big frameworks, which seems like a good thing all round).

• SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    So I got an offer from the place I was interviewing at.

I had never done the thing where I refuse to name a salary before...

Umm, they offered me a 75% increase from what I currently make. And I was already making a decent amount. A++, would stonewall when they ask for salary again.

Holy shit I'm going to puke

Steam: Spawnbroker
  • Baron DirigibleBaron Dirigible Registered User regular
    We will have to be maintaining a legacy Angular app but will also be doing green field development. Can anyone convince me otherwise that React isn't the clear and obvious choice for the green field development?
    React is the good and smart choice. Pair it with Redux for extra points.

There's a decent write-up here that gives an opinionated list of JS frameworks, build tools etc, which is worth a read. If nothing else, I want to highlight AirBNB's linting rules, which I think are the quickest way to enforce a consistent coding style across a team, and will probably be really useful if everyone's starting fresh.

• ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Hey everyone, I have a Python question

I was writing a little thing to send stuff to pastebin (my first dealings with HTTP! Exciting!) and to do so, I'm using urllib. I was setting all the values up as a dictionary - the actual code was
    values = {"api_dev_key=":api_dev_key, "api_paste_private=":api_paste_private, "api_option=":api_option, "api_paste_format=":api_paste_format, "api_paste_expire_date=":api_paste_expire_date, "api_paste_name=":api_paste_name, "api_paste_code=":api_paste_code

but the thing didn't work. However, when I instead format it using the dict() function:
    values = dict(
    		api_dev_key = <Shiv's key>,
    		api_paste_code = post, 
    		api_paste_private = "1",
    		api_option = "paste",
    		api_paste_format = "text", 
    		api_paste_expire_date = "1H", 
    		api_paste_name = name
    	)

then it works (in the first example, I'd assigned everything earlier, obviously).

I don't know what the difference between the two is, I had thought they were identical. Could anyone help me figure this out?

TL;DR, how is dict(one=1, two=2) different from {"one":1,"two":2}?

• LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    It's a naming issue. In the first example, because the names are enclosed in quotes (as they usually are), you're creating keys named api_dev_key= etc, equals sign and all.

Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
  • Baron DirigibleBaron Dirigible Registered User regular
    While I'm talking JS: there are now a bunch more Redux videos on egghead.io, as a sort of sequel to Dan Abramov's original series.

In addition for python http stuff install requests. It does everything urllib does but better in every conceivable way.

• AkimboEGAkimboEG Mr. Fancypants Wears very fine pants indeedRegistered User regular
    In addition for python http stuff install requests. It does everything urllib does but better in every conceivable way.

I was just about to say the same thing. Requests is a much better library, for practically all use cases.

Give me a kiss to build a dream on; And my imagination will thrive upon that kiss; Sweetheart, I ask no more than this; A kiss to build a dream on
    edited June 2016
    A few years ago I posted only very slightly in jest that the Flash vs HTML war was over and that Flash had won as HTML5 was the web remaking itself in the image of Flash.

A couple of years ago I mentioned that it looked like various JS frameworks were trying to badly reimplement Adobe Flex.

Working through the React tutorial and my conclusion is that they have reimplemented Flex's MXML really well for the Javascript world. That's why I like it so much.

Adobe are so incompetent as a company that over the last 8 years they've forced a complete rearchitecting of web standards and were years ahead of the curve on Rich Internet Application development yet somehow have absolutely nothing in the space.

Alistair Hutton on

• ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    AkimboEG wrote: »

I was just about to say the same thing. Requests is a much better library, for practically all use cases.

I got a lot of this from searching online, but, at least so far, I only use urllib for two lines, in one of like fifteen files the bot (er, looks like I didn't mention what this was for. It's part of an irc bot) uses. I'm ok with that.

I actually have another, much broader question, though. I've got several threads in the program, which most of the time is fine, but occasionally one will crash. I want to implement a thing to restart crashed threads (I've been told that this is called a watchdog?) but I am having trouble finding information on how to implement them, in general. My first instinct is to have a thread that sleeps for a second, then goes through all existing threads and sees if any of the critical ones are missing or have died, restarting those if they have. Is this the proper way to do it, or is there a better way?

• NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    Hi all, I'm finally going to dive into the fun world of VPS hosting. My long term client finally decided to pay me about 5 months after we talked about it.

Anyway, in a battle of Linode vs. Digital Ocean, does anyone have a favorite? They seem to offer more or less the same thing at the price point I'm looking at.

I've got no complains about Linode.

Digital Ocean has good tutorials and stuff on their website.

Avoid Rackspace, they are overpriced and tend to be dickish about shit, or will blame you for their own faults.

If you want baremetal awesomeness then Scaleway is da bomb.

• EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited June 2016
    Hey, other new guy on the team. Check your TFS and don't start on tasks assigned to me and then get annoyed when we've worked on the same thing.

Also my solution was better.

Echo on
  • KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    edited June 2016
    Nothing worse than a lazy developer. Maybe a clever, lazy developer.

I was tracking down an issue in some Python scripts.

The script that had the issue looked ok, but had just a few imports.
    import os
    import sys

sys.path.append(os.path.join('..//..','modules')
    import pythonBase

And in pythonBase
    import abc
    import atexit

... many lines later
    import zlib

Yes, he imported every single base Python library and some packages.

Kakodaimonos on
  • zeenyzeeny Registered User regular
    Echo wrote: »
    Hey, other new guy on the team. Check your TFS and don't start on tasks assigned to me and then get annoyed when we've worked on the same thing.

Maybe you two could talk more and silently pick up tasks less ;o)

• Grape ApeGrape Ape Registered User regular

I thought CUDA did a lot of the grunt work of unrolling loops for you? Or am I thinking of OpenMP?

• schussschuss Registered User regular
    Nogs wrote: »
    React is great!

But you should also give fair weight to both Angular 2 and Ember.

I'd also note that our webdevs love Aurelia, as they looked at Angular 2 and some others and ultimately went with Aurelia.

• admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular

import os
    import sys

import pythonBase

And in pythonBase
    import abc
    import atexit

... many lines later
    import zlib

That's not a lazy developer. A lazy developer would never take the time to type all that.

edited June 2016

import os
    import sys

import pythonBase

And in pythonBase
    import abc
    import atexit

... many lines later
    import zlib

That's not a lazy developer. A lazy developer would never take the time to type all that.

probably copied and pasted from another one where they copied and pasted from a guy in the early 90s

bowen on
    bowen wrote: »

import os
    import sys

import pythonBase

And in pythonBase
    import abc
    import atexit

... many lines later
    import zlib

probably copied and pasted from another one where they copied and pasted from a guy in the early 90s

These are your father's imports. A weapon for a more civilized age.

zeeny wrote: »

I mentioned that I start the day by looking at available tasks, wink wink nudge nudge. Didn't want to be all passive-aggressive about it.

Not to mention the sprint meeting where stuff was handed out was yesterday.

• Grape ApeGrape Ape Registered User regular

I mentioned that I start the day by looking at available tasks, wink wink nudge nudge. Didn't want to be all passive-aggressive about it.

I'm guessing you all don't have a morning stand up?

Grape Ape wrote: »
    I'm guessing you all don't have a morning stand up?

It's a bit of an odd outfit here - it's a small company run on the side by the owner. He has his regular day job, so our sprint meetings are after office hours. It was literally the last thing yesterday.

And no, no standups here yet. Though we did start doing planning poker yesterday, so at least it's moving in the right direction.

Still, man, if its a problem and bothering you, just discuss if saying "Hey dude, picking up X, that cool?" is ok with both of you. Communication is always nice!

edited June 2016
    dp

zeeny on
  • TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited June 2016

import os
    import sys

sys.path.append(os.path.join('..//..','modules'))
    import pythonBase

And in pythonBase
    import abc
    import atexit

... many lines later
    import zlib

Or wrote a script that was basically
    foreach module in modules
        writeline("import " + module)

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • SavgeSavge Indecisive Registered User regular
    Does anyone know of any formal development methodologies or disciplines for solo programmers? A lot of stuff out there like Agile is meant for coordinating teams of people and keeping everyone on track, but a lot of that stuff is kind of ridiculous if you're just working on some side project by yourself.

What ends up happening is I make some plans then just sit down and write code and keep a list sometimes of small things I need to do, but I find myself getting off track all the time and sometimes I end up not knowing what I should do next or how to choose what to do next.

• zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    Spending the time to create a backlog with relative complexities can be very valuable for self-guided projects, even if you don't need to do sprints or whatever.

• DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    sometimes team members just space out. heck, we have a physical board with index cards and magnets that we put our names on and someone started trying to work on a task that my pair had pulled a few weeks back.

and yeah, just making a backlog and figuring out what you want to commit to doing for an iteration even if you're completely solo and that iteration isn't timeboxed at all can be useful.

Dehumanized on
    What they've said. I like to stick to one task at a time and make sure that I get every new idea/bug I find down on a card for later.

This discussion has been closed.