As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PAX with toddlers?

akjakakjak TheraSpooky GymRegistered User regular
My kiddo will be almost 2 when West rolls around. I know I won't take him to PAX proper (other than maybe looking at some cool statues in the lobbies, etc), but is there stuff for wee little ones to do around downtown Seattle?

We may just leave him home with his auntie, but I'm pondering bringing him along and my husband and I taking turns hanging out with the little one while the other does PAX.

I'm sure he'd love the aquarium, but... what else?

Switch: SW-4133-1546-2720 (Thera)
Twitch: akThera
Steam: Thera

• Options
    zwitterionzwitterion Registered User regular
    Woodland park zoo is another option

• Options
    HodurHodur RedmondRegistered User regular
    Here's a good idea that I've done many times in past years when my kids were too small for PAX. The Pacific Science center has a day camp (for sure on the friday - not sure about other days) and we brought our kids there (has early drop off) then spent an entire day at PAX and picked them up afterwards. A 2 year old might be too young, but it's worth checking. Worst case - the Science Center would be good for your "swap" plan.

Other swap places I can think of: as zwitterion mentioned - the zoo, Alki Beach, a fun ride on the water taxi or walk on a larger ferry over to Vashon, or head to the Seattle Center: the EMP museum or the Children's museum (you could ride the monorail over there).

My kids have been PAX kids for life, we used to do all those events above in same way you mention (camps or swap plan) and now they come along and enjoy PAX itself as much as I do (if not more).

• Options
    SolelronSolelron Wandering Gamer Cornelius, ORRegistered User regular
    akjak wrote: »
    My kiddo will be almost 2 when West rolls around. I know I won't take him to PAX proper (other than maybe looking at some cool statues in the lobbies, etc), but is there stuff for wee little ones to do around downtown Seattle?

We may just leave him home with his auntie, but I'm pondering bringing him along and my husband and I taking turns hanging out with the little one while the other does PAX.

I'm sure he'd love the aquarium, but... what else?

HUGS from wife and me!!!! :) LOL

Science Center, Aquarium, maybe one of the argosy tours :)

• Options
    vespachicavespachica SeattleRegistered User regular
    I don't know your 2 year old but you could always bring him if you're able to "wear" him since strollers aren't allowed. Take lots of breaks, maybe. Visit the Annex ... that's less crowded. But, yeah, 2 is a difficult age for sure. Second Pacific Science Center. Children's Museum might be a good option, too (but inside Seattle Center and I'm not sure how that would work with Bumbershoot going on).

ufq9gj8383nh.png

• Options
    beowuffbeowuff Registered User regular
    Seattle Center (where the Pacific Science Center and Space Needle are) also has a Children's Museum.

http://thechildrensmuseum.org/

My 2 year old likes parts of the Aquarium but is, for some reason, deathly afraid of the wave pool by the entrance. YMMV. He loves the Zoo much more, but it's not walkable from Pax. Weekends can be packed.

There are a ton of beaches and playgrounds all around Seattle. I live north in Shoreline, so most of the ones I know are there, but places like Carkeek Park and Green Lake have great playground toys and nice places to walk/hike and have water access. My son loves places like Richmond Beach, where he can throw rocks in the water and look for crabs.

tl;dr
    There's tons of stuff for a 2 year old to do, but probably not walkable from Pax.

• Options
    SquiggliciousSquigglicious Registered User new member
    Last year, my son was 17 months when we came to PAX and our babysitter fell through, so I wore him. It was exhausting, but it was a lot of fun. This year, we're going to try again for a babysitter and we're bringing our carrier again just in case things fall through, but since he is older and more active, I'm not sure PAX will hold the same allure it does for us. I second all of the suggestions previously mentioned, and also add "Ride the Ducks" as a possibility for something he might enjoy. Seattle Center also has a lot of things to do, as well as some space for him to just run around and act like a kid.

Last year, Geekmom and Geekdad joined together for a panel--something I hope they do again this year! They gave a lot of age appropriate suggestions on how to get your kids into games and doing some stuff as a family.

Good luck and have fun!

• Options
    akjakakjak Thera Spooky GymRegistered User regular
    Last year, Geekmom and Geekdad joined together for a panel--something I hope they do again this year! They gave a lot of age appropriate suggestions on how to get your kids into games and doing some stuff as a family.

I saw that panel. It was really good.

Switch: SW-4133-1546-2720 (Thera)
    Twitch: akThera
    Steam: Thera