As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Stellaris Thread

• PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Jars wrote: »
    got a nice game going

NCxHoql.jpg

that orange empire to the right of me has 800 population, the south is at 500 something. tyrathian union has been pretty peaceful, they absorbed a bit of one empire but the hevans have been gobbling up everyone. right now is like the calm before the storm as I'm about to declare war on orange, our fleets are equal and mine is growing pretty steadily with that massive 1100 mineral income

How in the blue fuck is your naval capacity 950?

• Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    Starbases
    You can hit 1,000 pretty early

VayBJ4e.png
    Well that is tech I've never seen before, then. I've unlocked Fortresses but never saw anything else in that vein come up.

• TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    I think he means spaceports. Every spaceport you build increases your cap. Even ones in sectors. In my mid games I tend to backfill all my sectors with spacesports with solar panels on em.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2016
    I think he means spaceports. Every spaceport you build increases your cap. Even ones in sectors. In my mid games I tend to backfill all my sectors with spacesports with solar panels on em.

Yeah, I have a decent size empire (not that close to winning yet) and hit 1000 pretty easily. The Spaceport level upgrades also provide naval capacity, and there's an edict that boosts it by 35% if you need an extra boost.

The AI (besides FEs, who I think start around there) does not seem to build up their naval capacity to that level, though. If a federation sends all of their fleets at me, it is an even fight...for about 1/3rd of my fleet.

a5ehren on
  • Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    Ah, yeah, I meant Spaceports.
    I dun goofed on that one.

VayBJ4e.png
  • FalxFalx Registered User regular
    I'm more jealous of that crazy energy rate. I've turned into a giant beggar in my game, at this rate I'll have to turn on my VERY weak ally just to gobble up his energy generating capacity on his world. Which sucks, the big friendly bugs are useless but they'll gamely send their 2k fleet to help out my 32k one when I go to way every time.

Huh. I have 7 level 6 Starports and my naval capacity is 192 with all 5 levels of capacity researched and the +capacity edict. Is my game bugged?

• TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Nah, that's probably about right. I think in my last game I had about 20-25 starports, even if most of them were level 1+solar panel module, and my fleet cap was about about 600?

steam_sig.png
  • CampyCampy Registered User regular
    I believe pops also add to your fleet capacity.

So each planet has a double whammy of mo' pops and mo' starports.

• DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    If you hover over your capacity it will show you where it comes from.

• JarsJars Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    Huh. I have 7 level 6 Starports and my naval capacity is 192 with all 5 levels of capacity researched and the +capacity edict. Is my game bugged?

for comparison I have 50 starports

I'm pretty sure fleet capacity caps out at 1000. I have another save where I have 116 planets with 1387 population and still only 1000 capacity

Jars on
  • PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    if anyone was curious about how multiplayer works, its pretty cool. Played with a friend last night. friend hosted, i joined server, friend had the ability to customize the game start and we both picked our races.

game started and i crashed out. his game kept going and i was able to come back and rejoin. when i went to rejoin it just asked which empire i wanted to be.
    I could not see a way for me to pause, the "host" seemed to have control over everything related to pausing and speeds (playing on faster at the very start of the game got exciting haha).

After a couple of hours we were both pretty tired so he saved the game and quit out...but my game kept running. I'm assuming i could save my own copy and continue playing it later if i wanted.

Anyway, it was pretty cool and easy to do, although i definitely want to see more patches adding things like: tech trading, researching specific tech together (right now seems random what the joint research project does), fleet operations, inhabiting planets within each others borders if allied, etc.

i also couldn't join his game at the start because i was running mods that he didn't have. So if you do multiplayer either everyone has to have the same mods or turn them off.

• theSquidtheSquid Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    In MP all players can pause with the space bar I think

It's weird

theSquid wrote: »
    In MP all players can pause with the space bar I think

It's weird

i tried and couldn't but that could be me or some option or something else...

oh the other thing that was a little annoying was communicating in game with my friend. there's a chat log window but its one of those boxes down in the bottom right and it turns orange when there is a new message. I definitely want a pop up or the ability to move that somewhere more visible.

I pretty much only use Steam's in-client chat feature even when in a Steam game. If you don't have a second monitor I could see that being a bit cumbersome, though.

i have a 32" "monitor" (tv) that i use. i just need to not be picky and play in windowed mode with the steam chat up. i am in love with this game, i'm just excited because i know paradox does a great job of continuing support for their games and hope they continue to add qol features.

• Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    So, if people want to play a MP game with SE++ folks today is probably the day. I'd be willing to host if no one else is up for it, but I don't suggest it, my laptop I play on is not ideal for the task.

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
    So I've now learned first-hand how powerful a well placed fortress station can be, by being on the receiving end. My apparently "inferior" neighbour lured my 32k fleet into a system with one and alongside the debuffs of the station and his own 5k fleet he chopped me down to 20k with nearly everything heavily damaged.

I also learned to be patient, as the reason none of the liberated empires would accept being vassals is because I liberated too many planets, making them feel too secure. One or two at a time is the way to go if you're using that strategy. Although when you're eating a large (in spatial terms at least, not strength) it can take forever.

I'm excited though, about to unlock the same armor tech that fallen empires have. Things are looking up, kind of. There is that one planet I settled without doing the math and when you take into account the "unadaptive" flaw I took the habitability is only 30%. I wish there was a way to abandon a colony.

• Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    If we do want to do a MP game I think we should start planning now. I will host if no one else will, and I know of 6(?) people other than myself who are interested, which is fine. If anyone else is interested please say so, I plan on tracking down and @ing anyone who has voiced an interest sometime before Saturday and also before the game starts to be sure I know who is actually interested. If you want to do it a different day, that's fine with me (though I already have games I'm playing midday Sundays and Wednesday evenings, EST)

Also if you are interested please suggest what you would want in this game, I.E. should we have rules for diplomacy (no attacking in the first week is a pretty common one) how large of a galaxy would you want? do you want AI Empires? Elliptical, spiral with 2 or 4 arms? etc.

My steam name is Lord_Asmodeus, (if there are multiples, I have the same AV on there as here) so feel free to add me.

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
    depends on the time, as my nights don't really open up until after next week

i so want to participate because my short venture into multiplayer was extremely interesting/fun. But yeah i just don't have the night/weekend schedule that i would feel comfortable signing up for something. I know i'd let people down and i don't want to do that. If this topic comes up again in a couple of months keep my name on the short list though!

The game doesn't have to be on Saturday, it's just a day I thought would be available for more people. What days and times are good for you guys?

• Sir FabulousSir Fabulous Malevolent Squid God Registered User regular
    New Dev post about plans for Patch 1.2 "Asimov

tl;dr:
    Border Changes
    Border access with other Empires will be set to Open by default, can be closed via diplomatic action. Rivals will also have closed borders.
    If your fleet gets trapped by new borders, you can set them to MIA. They'll disappear for a time, then reappear within your borders.

Expansion will be more costly
    Colonizing planets/establishing frontier outposts will have an Influence cost. This will scale up the more distant it is from your current borders.

Diplomacy Changes
    Forming alliances will be harder. Embassies will be removed. Players must now gain the trust of NPC empires by cooperating with them and making treaties.
    Some actions moved from the trade screen to the diplomacy screen.
    Defensive pacts added. These pacts allow two empires to be called into wars if any of them should get attacked.
    Joint War Declarations added. You can now invite other Empires to your wars.

pickup-sig.php?name=Orthanc

Switch Friend Code: SW-1406-1275-7906
  • LTMLTM Bikes and BeardsRegistered User regular
    Is that second change good? In my limited experience with the game, frontier outposts seem too costly already and the hitch to colonizing is the time it takes to build up. Making it more expensive as well would seem to be unnecessary.

I suspect it'll be balanced around closer planets/outposts costing less.

I feel like that influence change was "okay the tech change didn't work, on to plan B!"

the embassy one will up the difficulty on higher levels where the default ai stance to treaties is hey go fuck yourself

Forming alliances will be harder? Removing embassies? It's already fucking hard enough to get people to like you because everyone turns down all trade agreements by default even if I just want to donate them 100 energy! Are they making the AI less obtuse?

• Sir FabulousSir Fabulous Malevolent Squid God Registered User regular
    The devs have further clarified that they are removing the difficulty penalty on alliances. It'll be the same whatever difficulty you're on now.

pickup-sig.php?name=Orthanc

Switch Friend Code: SW-1406-1275-7906
  • OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    Has the game gotten updated yet with new stuff?

I really want to keep playing but I know the game probably won't go anywhere until those new updates come in.

• LTMLTM Bikes and BeardsRegistered User regular
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    Forming alliances will be harder? Removing embassies? It's already fucking hard enough to get people to like you because everyone turns down all trade agreements by default even if I just want to donate them 100 energy! Are they making the AI less obtuse?

"Hey, we're both pacifist, let's trade Non-Agression Treaties?"

"Sure! First give me all your colonies and resources!"

:?

Aww, I liked expanding widely

VayBJ4e.png
  • AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    I believe they are also planning to make the AI more receptive to even trades

• Captain KCaptain K Registered User regular
    I watched the most recent Paradox stream where they preview the Asimov patch, and it seems like absolutely every change is going to make the game better.

Making alliances harder to sign is a bit deceptive, now that "alliance" is several steps up from "no pact whatsoever". You can sign non-aggression pacts as a basic treaty, and a step up from that is a "defensive pact"--a mutual guarantee of independence, basically. After that is the alliance, which has been modified so that it's no longer possible for your allies to drag you into stupid wars they can't win without your help. Each alliance member votes on a proposed declaration of war, and IIRC you can sit out a war declared by your alliance if you want, even if the vote passes against your will. Alliance members who repeatedly fail to go with the flow, however, will likely be voted out of the pact.

Federations now work similarly to alliances in that members will vote on decisions, so you can't just wait your turn to be federation leader and then say "hey everyone, we're declaring this war and all the wargoals are for me". Also the federation fleet now costs 20% of each member's naval capacity, but it's a maintenance-free fleet, which keeps a huge, advanced federation fleet from suddenly crushing the economy of a smaller federation member when control shifts to them.

Another very cool change: happiness modifiers to productivity are now granular. Every point of happiness in excess of 50% will make a pop slightly more productive. You don't need to get happier in increments of 10% to see benefits anymore. And planets "two steps away" from a population's native type are now 40% habitable rather than 20% (so, 80/60/40/0, rather than 80/60/20/0).

Umm, what else seemed cool? Off the top of my head:

--being the first to finish a research project to establish communication with another empire grants you influence, so it's no longer just strictly better to always let the other empire research you first
    --a new policy choice determines what types of wars you are allowed to declare: wars of conquest, wars of liberation ONLY, or NO WAR DECLARATION. Fanatic Pacifist empires cannot choose the policy that allows for wars of conquest. And other empires that share your policy choice will like you more.
    --speaking of other empires liking you, embassies are gone and now what matters is the concept of "trust". Other empires grow to trust you more over time if you have smooth relations with them. Trade deals, non-aggression pacts, defensive pacts, and so on will increase trust over time. I'm pretty sure the initial trust level has everything to do with how similar your ethics and policies are (and while I can't remember exactly the mechanics, Xenophile empires are best at this stuff)
    --since embassies are gone the Pacifist empires now get happiness bonuses and access to government types that allow for more planetary micromanagement. It's no longer "directly controlled planets", it's "directly controlled SYSTEMS", so a multi-planet system in your core empire only counts as one tick toward the limit. And I think I heard that one of the government types that allows additional core systems gives +5 core systems! and its advanced form gives +10! Micromanage away! Also, wargoals now cost influence, and Pacifists must pay significantly more for them, while Militarists pay less. The Spiritualist ethic is now the choice for reduced ethics divergence.
    --some ease-of-use stuff that seems cool. You can, with a science ship selected, right-click a star system from the galactic map and choose "Research Projects". The game will queue up all the debris research in that system after a big naval engagement, for example.
    --new content, like a lot more "colonization events". I assume new anomalies, and I think they said "diplomatic events", to add more flavor to the mid-game, as well.

Sorry if that was all mega-ramble-y, and sorry if any of it is incorrect, but I'm pretty sure I got it all right. They were incredibly forthcoming about what's coming up in Asimov. I can't fucking wait.

• MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Yeah I'm gonna have to wait and see, because dang, removing embassies and means I'm not totally sure how to get along with other empires because I've been in situations where even with an embassy, I was totally fucking incapable of making any deals with them, so I couldn't raise their opinion of me any further.

• AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    Maddoc wrote: »
    Yeah I'm gonna have to wait and see, because dang, removing embassies and means I'm not totally sure how to get along with other empires because I've been in situations where even with an embassy, I was totally fucking incapable of making any deals with them, so I couldn't raise their opinion of me any further.

I'm pretty sure the new diplomatic options they are adding require much lower friendliness levels, and they're also making the AI more willing to agree to such things

Welp, far away from me on the other side of the galaxy, slowly eating a huge but not terribly advanced empire is a bunch of eyeballs. I'm not too worried since they have to go through a fallen empire in order to get to me no matter which way they go. And also holy moly tachyon lances are OP. I've been steamrolling fleets I really shouldn't have been able to. Also for something fresh I started a new game with my evil bug slavers. Already took over a less advanced race after puppeting their government. Fun times.

I've got it set so everyone uses hyperspace and my three closest rivals only have one way of entering my space. Already built some defenses just in case, they don't seem to like me for some reason... 8-)

• theSquidtheSquid Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2016
    I too enjoy that they are slowly trying to convert MoO fans into EU4 players.

One day they will replace the galaxy with a map of earth circa 1400 and BAM you've been playing EU this whole time

Now buy hearts of iron

theSquid on
    Man all those changes sound bloody excellent. If the previous patch was anything to go by, we should hopefully see a beta dropping within the week.

There was a lot of hand wringing on the Stellaris Reddit and forums about how difficult the game would be without embassies. But it seems like Paradox have a decent holistic view of their game compared to other devs, so they won't make any drastic changes to in game system without mixing it up elsewhere in order to balance.

Only thing I'm worried about it is how everything costs influence now, with no new monthly generating sources mentioned. Sure first contacts will help, but if you hit the rather low cap of 1000 or run out of new empires to meet it slows way down. Part of the fun in late game is trying to make a huge empire, I can't help but wonder if this will make the late game even more slow and slightly tedious.