As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

West 2016 [Registration] is live!

• mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    SkeleVader wrote: »
    mcdermott wrote: »
    zerzhul wrote: »

Obvious answer: no.

Doubling the space, even if it doubled badges sold (it won't), still means you have 5x demand over supply (instead of 10x). So an eight minute Saturday sellout instead of four.

Also annoyed seeing the "two hour" sellout number. I was in 54 minutes after announcement, I wasn't getting tickets. It was a ten, maybe twenty minute sellout.

Wish showclix could release numbers for "latest entry into queue to secure badges for (day)," they'd be enlightening.

I would love to see that data and it would be very useful, but just like the "two hour" sell out time, it would have its own issues. Tickets are not sold out until you physically can not buy them anymore. There were people that found out about the sale half an hour, or so, late and were still able to buy all four days by finding a friend that had an unused queue open on another browser, or people that had the Pax checker program running. It automatically put them in the queue and were able to walk up to their computer an hour after the sale and still but all four days.
    Line manipulation is a thing in the digital world just like it is in the real world. Tickets are not gone until they are actually sold.

Line manipulation is a thing, but there is still a number for "when the line must have been entered to secure (day) badge." Whether it was entered by a friend on another browser, or pax checker app, or /whatever/, that is still a measure that is meaningful.

Far more meaningful than the "two hour sellout" time. Which is, frankly, meaningless at best and misleading at worst. Because to the uninitiated it implies that I can pull out my phone and navigate to the site 1:40 later and still get tickets. This hasn't been true for years.

• vespachicavespachica SeattleRegistered User regular
    OK, good. Ha. :)

ufq9gj8383nh.png

edited June 2016
    Basically, "two hours" is nothing more than a measurement of how quickly showclix could process X transactions, where X is all pax buyers.

That is a meaningless number to the person wondering what their odds of getting a ticket were/are.

Edit: actually, it may be meaningful, but only insofar as it tells the buyer how long they will wait, provided they aren't in queue within a couple minutes, to find out they were fucked.

mcdermott on
  • krae_mankrae_man Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    Cart timeouts are a thing. Happens in all ticketed events. People have computer problems, back out of the sale, take too long, etc. If you get in line after the "sell out time" you can still get lucky.

How fast the sell outs are when the time to sell out is basically "as fast as the infrastructure can handle the orders" is meaningless.

The other thing with doubling the convention size is, PA needs to sell double the booth space. Twice as many people waiting in line at the existing number of booths would not be good for anyone.

krae_man on
  • LetMeInLetMeIn Registered User regular
    here was my experience getting badges:
    since may 17 I would not leave my apartment between the hours of 9am and 4pm..... until yesterday, I kept putting off a D&D game with friends that was suppose to happen on Tuesdays, finally yesterday I agreed to go thinking it is a Tuesday plus nothing had happened by 12:30. I had to be safe right? Boy was I wrong, missed the first 2 message notification about the sale. Luckily caught the third and got into the queue at 1:04 was in queue for about a hour, was only able to get 3 Saturday and the rest of the badges. Finished purchase at 2:06

Meanwhile I and the person who wanted to get the hotel this year kept getting kicked out of the hotel queue.Once we got through it there was nothing left for the entire time. Only could get a few days are one hotel and a few days at another.So went with AirBnB but needed the cash in bank plus added stress of learning how AirBnB worked finally finished it this afternoon

Bank account drained,I'm exhausted,Phone was at 1% yesterday and lesson learned but I hope everything that is needed for this years pax is completed

• twistingbridgestwistingbridges Registered User regular
    Just checked showtix for no real reason other than a vague suspicion that things might not be really truly sold out (I was able to, through vigorous ctrl+r-ing, able to get two Mondays at 6:15 pm central time on the 7th). Monday tickets are back up. https://www.showclix.com/event/pp3594

Gone again, obviously. But good catch.

and gone.

• valdorvaldor Registered User regular
    Keep looking and refreshing. I just picked up two mondays

3 time TWDT attendee. One year as House Head Boy and Now Head of House for Slytherin DE.
    4 Year Pax West Attendee
  • ddt58ddt58 Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I did not go thru registration since I hooked up in the Club PA pre-sale. Was there any discussion of the Omegathon during registration, like in past years?

• YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    ddt58 wrote: »
    I did not go thru registration since I hooked up in the Club PA pre-sale. Was there any discussion of the Omegathon during registration, like in past years?

Yes, being considered for The Omegathon is a checkbox during checkout.

• SkeleVaderSkeleVader Your Friendly Dark Lord of Destruction Registered User regular
    Monday badges will be relativly easy to come by. In addition to the few randomly popping back up, there will be a resale. Last year there were two resales and Monday took 3.5 hours & 2 days to sell out. I would guess it will be similar this year.

IhtGIyi.png
    Monday badges will be relativly easy to come by. In addition to the few randomly popping back up, there will be a resale. Last year there were two resales and Monday took 3.5 hours & 2 days to sell out. I would guess it will be similar this year.

Maybe, maybe not. Remember that last year Monday was not a holiday IIRC, this year it is. Monday had always been the lowest demand since it was added, but it may be a bit higher this year than last.

Last year though I wound up trashing Monday badges. Had five I was trying to sell from people that couldn't go, couldn't get flakey craigslist buyers to actually show up for them at $20, and street scalpers weren't even willing to give $5. They were basically worthless.

Like I wasn't even sure I wanted to buy Monday badges this year, knowing that I could probably get them for /below/ face value later. I bailed on the queue when Fri-Sun sold out, because at that point I decided Monday wasn't worth it to wait for.

Do you need to be on the $30 or $10 club PA level to get presale privlidges?

• PookyAlertPookyAlert Registered User regular
    I wonder if Fridays will be as easy to come by this year as the last couple...they were extremely popular this time out for a non-holiday day, but then, first day + traditionally lesser crowds = win for people who can go then. :smile: Monday badges seemed to be like confetti last year, it's true.

• zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited June 2016
    krae_man wrote: »
    I believe the official stance is that it is not a stated benefit, just a thing they have been doing anyhow. Therefore I wouldn't think it would be attached to a particular tier. Email customerservice@penny-arcade.com for official answers to ClubPA questions.

zerzhul on
  • BluemeaneBluemeane Registered User regular
    TOGSolid wrote: »
    mcdermott wrote: »
    Oh, and FUCK buying a house in Seattle. We were looking in the city proper, like Northgate all the way down to Beacon Hill and beyond. Especially in the inner area, a single-family home was just unobtainable. House in Fremont or Ballard, 900 sq feet, no yard, nothing to code, barely livable, body of previous hoarder owner still rotting upstairs, family of raccoons willing to fight over bedrooms, yard overgrown and possibly harboring endangered species, mild fire damage, no off street parking, nothing fixed or upgraded since 1957? Asking price $400K?

Sells day one on a $650K cash offer.

Seriously. Seattle housing is giga-fucked. I'd love to live in the city but it's basically impossible unless you're proper rich or have a multiple income family / roommate thing going and fuck all of that. I eventually want to own my very own private place with no one else there to bother me which means Seattle is going to be completely out of the question.

Unfortunately Portland is going this same trend. And I have lived here all my life. Even owned a home with my ex wife from 96-06, and we paid 89k for it, recently was re-sold for 650k! Almost no upgrades/changes. I sold it in 06 for 250k.

jj0mqt5d2a94.png

PAAAAAAAAAAAAAAXXXXXXXXXXX!
    edited June 2016
    I believe the official stance is that it is not a stated benefit, just a thing they have been doing anyhow. Therefore I wouldn't think it would be attached to a particular tier. Email customerservice@penny-arcade.com for official answers to ClubPA questions.

Yes I am completely aware it's not a promised benefit so I probably wouldn't get an answer if I asked. So I'm more asking what levels people who took advantage of the offer are to try and get a gauge of:

What level is required? what date does the membership have to be active starting to qualify? Seniority based? first come first serve? etc

$60/year is more then I'm willing to spend on the "chance" to get offered PAX tickets. $20/year I'll gamble.

krae_man on
  • IncreaseBlueIncreaseBlue Registered User regular
    Anyone elses' charges from ReedPOP still showing as 'pending'? Kind of getting worried.

• SkeleVaderSkeleVader Your Friendly Dark Lord of Destruction Registered User regular
    Anyone elses' charges from ReedPOP still showing as 'pending'? Kind of getting worried.

Mine is still pending.

IhtGIyi.png
  • bacon_avengerbacon_avenger Defender of Pork Products Pacific NW, USARegistered User regular

Mine is still pending.
    Same here. I don't think it's anything to worry about, my guess is that they are doing the 'validation you are a legit buyer round' before committing the charge?

PAX Prime 2022 Checklist:[ ]Hotel [ ]Time Off [ ]Bobcats [ ]Challenge Coin [ ]Forum Badge
    eIMwu3s.png
  • Hoboking006Hoboking006 Registered User regular
    edited June 2016

Yes I am completely aware it's not a promised benefit so I probably wouldn't get an answer if I asked. So I'm more asking what levels people who took advantage of the offer are to try and get a gauge of:

What level is required? what date does the membership have to be active starting to qualify? Seniority based? first come first serve? etc

$60/year is more then I'm willing to spend on the "chance" to get offered PAX tickets. $20/year I'll gamble.

For what it's worth I've seen the offer for both tiers of Club PA. Last year I got them on the lower tier, this year at the 30 dollar tier. But as zerzhul said it's random, and they only offer 4 day passes for you and one other. If you enjoy penny - arcade's free webcomic and want to support them then it's a great perk if they decide to do it, but don't expect it.

Hoboking006 on
    May PAX be upon you.
    Mine hasn't been pending since about 4 hours or so after the order. Every bank is different. :)

jj0mqt5d2a94.png

• HodurHodur RedmondRegistered User regular
    valdor wrote: »
    Keep looking and refreshing. I just picked up two mondays

Thanks for the tip!! Just checked and got 2 Friday tickets!

• IncreaseBlueIncreaseBlue Registered User regular
    Thank you guys about the pending charges. I feel a bit better knowing some are in the same boat.

For what it's worth I've seen the offer for both tiers of Club PA. Last year I got them on the lower tier, this year at the 30 dollar tier. But as zerzhul said it's random, and they only offer 4 day passes for you and one other. If you enjoy penny - arcade's free webcomic and want to support them then it's a great perk if they decide to do it, but don't expect it.

I should go ahead and do it regardless. I actually did the the OG Club PA, wayyyyy back when they had day jobs and were just asking for donations.

• ddt58ddt58 Seattle, WARegistered User regular

I signed up at the $10 level about three days before I got the presale offer.

• Nathan WindNathan Wind Colorado Springs, CORegistered User regular
    edited June 2016
    F5'd my a$$ off today while at work trying to score some Saturday passes. Watched a lot of Monday passes and occasional Friday and Sunday passes go up but only a few Saturday. When I did see Sat I was too slow to submit and missed out. My crappy US Govt desktop and NIPRnet connection (behind who knows how many firewalls and site checkers) was too slow to reload the ShowClix page. I finally got out on my iPhone and was able to reload the page every 5 sec and at about 330mt scored myself two Saturday passes. Not too long after that the ShowClix page changed to say they were 100% sold out, so I am guessing they are done validating Tuesday's orders and I got a couple that were reclaimed. Think this also means there wont be another sale like we saw at the end of June last year. Now I still need one more Saturday pass.......

Nathan Wind on
    PAX Prime 14, 15
    PAX West 16, 17
    My Rig: I7 7700K, Aorus K5, 32GB RipJaws V, Samsung 960 PCIe 256 & 500, Zotac 1080Ti
    F5'd my a$$ off today while at work trying to score some Saturday passes. Watched a lot of Monday passes and occasional Friday and Sunday passes go up but only a few Saturday. When I did see Sat I was too slow to submit and missed out. My crappy US Govt desktop and NIPRnet connection (behind who knows how many firewalls and site checkers) was too slow to reload the ShowClix page. I finally got out on my iPhone and was able to reload the page every 5 sec and at about 330mt scored myself two Saturday passes. Not too long after that the ShowClix page changed to say they were 100% sold out, so I am guessing they are done validating Tuesday's orders and I got a couple that were reclaimed. Think this also means there wont be another sale like we saw at the end of June last year. Now I still need one more Saturday pass.......

Could also be all these badges people have been getting by F5'ing this week are glitches, and they pulled the page to stop people from doing it, and they will be canceling and refunding those orders after the sellout...

jj0mqt5d2a94.png

• The AviatrixThe Aviatrix Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    I figured the ones that were appearing were from payments not going through. Now all the payments have gone through. (Since I know some people still had payments pending yesterday.)

I am thinking they still need to check for scalpers so they'll still have the reclaimed sale.

The Aviatrix on
    x5XpZBK.pngEz7XjRx.pngml9Z6gf.png
    Bluemeane wrote: »

Could also be all these badges people have been getting by F5'ing this week are glitches, and they pulled the page to stop people from doing it, and they will be canceling and refunding those orders after the sellout...

Hope not, I already got my confirmation email though so think I am good. I was surprised to see them go up, thought all available passes would be saved for the reclaimed sale later this month.

PAX Prime 14, 15
    PAX West 16, 17
    My Rig: I7 7700K, Aorus K5, 32GB RipJaws V, Samsung 960 PCIe 256 & 500, Zotac 1080Ti
  • zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    I sincerely doubt they will cancel any of those for any reason that's not why they would cancel a sale during the "normal" sale time period.

I wonder if they were cancelling and relisting scalper orders as they voided them instead of putting them all up in one swoop.

Either that or some cart's got stuck in limbo and the counter holds had to get manually released.

• byakuenbyakuen Somewhere in SeattleRegistered User regular
    Last year, after the initial scrabble for badges, there were left over badges that went on sale a couple of weeks later.
    Will this possibility happen this year? Or had it happen already?

♥ Properly Pleased Participant of Past PAX PrimeWest: '10, '12, '13, '14, '15, '16
    You are talking about the resale due in part because of reclaimed scalper tickets. It has not happened yet, and we have no way of knowing if one will. However, there is a very high chance we will see one (there were two resales last year).
    Last year the first resale took place almost two months after the initial sale, same with the year before. If it happens it will hit with no warning, so be alert.

IhtGIyi.png
  • byakuenbyakuen Somewhere in SeattleRegistered User regular
    You are talking about the resale due in part because of reclaimed scalper tickets. It has not happened yet, and we have no way of knowing if one will. However, there is a very high chance we will see one (there were two resales last year).
    Last year the first resale took place almost two months after the initial sale, same with the year before. If it happens it will hit with no warning, so be alert.

YES, thank you. A friend had missed the initial sale. This possibility would give him a legit chance at passes.

♥ Properly Pleased Participant of Past PAX PrimeWest: '10, '12, '13, '14, '15, '16
    edited July 2016
    Just pay attention to the @Official_PAX twitter feed. If you start to see people tweeting "Why was my order cancelled? I only ordered 8 full sets" etc, orders were cancelled and be ready for them to be put on sale at any moment.

krae_man on
    I am on hold with Reed Pop now. Got an email saying they canx my passes for exceeding the limit even though I only ordered 4 Fri, 2 Sat , 4 Sun and 4 Mon. Maybe it's because I had two separate orders? Maddening....

PAX Prime 14, 15
    PAX West 16, 17
    I am on hold with Reed Pop now. Got an email saying they canx my passes for exceeding the limit even though I only ordered 4 Fri, 2 Sat , 4 Sun and 4 Mon. Maybe it's because I had two separate orders? Maddening....

Good luck getting your order uncancelled.

Everyone else who wants tickets, be ready.