As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Indie Games] Stardew Valley hits PS4/One on 12/14

UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
edited November 2016 in Social Entropy++
Well, usually, anyways

Here is an example of one that is a full-priced $60, a bit of an anomaly for now but hey, game development is only getting more expensive

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-uMFHoF8VA

It looks really nice like a big budget AAA game, and that video shows off quite a bit of what you can do in this game, in case you were wondering

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6JakCSDHPM

There it is being shown off on-stage at E3, getting a huge marketing push like a big budget AAA game

3M8cPVd.jpg?1

It even has sexy box art! If you were to open that case and take a whiff of that new game smell, I bet it'd even smell like a big budget AAA game

But it's not. No Man's Sky is being developed and self-published by Hello Games, and will release on August 9th for both PS4 and PC

This isn't just a No Man's Sky thread, because that's not what the thread title says. This thread is for "smaller" games, without getting into the semantics of what that means exactly because it's nebulous as hell. If it's Kickstarted, it most likely belongs here

Here's some other indie games!

Shantae: Half-Genie Hero releases on September 27th for the PS4, Xbox One, Wii U, 3DS and PC, and it will likely be rad as shit just like its predecessors. The first game in the series was published by Capcom, but WayForward has published the other two titles in the series themselves, this newest entry being funded by Kickstarter

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szhhFGQ3rl0

Yooka-Laylee, which will be coming in on PS4, Xbox One, Wii U, PC, Mac and Linux (if you're into that) was just delayed to early next year, modeling another way in which indie games are becoming more and more like their big-name brethren. It looks really cool though! Here's a trailer they just put out. I pray this will kick off the revival of the 3D platformer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1gxLvbX3Ow

Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night appears to be on track for its release on PS4, Xbox One, Wii U, Vita, PC, Mac and Linux early next year as well, but Kickstarter games do what they do, so don't hold them to that. Good news if you backed this thing at the level of $60 or higher - you should be getting a playable demo really soon! The same one they're showing off at E3, apparently. For the rest of us, here's the newest development update video. Editor's note: final game will have enemies in it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VKfthxb4t8

Mighty No. 9 is a game that's out in like...less than two weeks? It's out on basically everything - PS3, PS4, Xbox 360, Xbox One, Wii U, PC and Mac, with 3DS and Vita versions to come TBA. MN9 is a touchy subject because a lot of people seem displeased with the route its development has taken, but I'm sure there are likely still quite a few people here excited to play it. Here's a trailer! It's not that one, but it seems to have the same guy doing the voiceover again?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mkosvmZfqw

SteamWorld Heist is a game that's out right fuckin' now for PS4, Vita, 3DS, PC and Mac, and at some point this year will also be hitting Wii U, Xbox One and iOS. It is basically 2D XCOM with robots. It is really cool. Have another trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mV5_Hp3kG7U

UnbreakableVow on

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I finally got to try the beta of torment tides of numenara. They opened it up to everyone who backed it at a get the game level.

It seems good! I'm excited for when it hits now. Even though that's early 2017 now.

• Options
    BarcardiBarcardi All the Wizards Under A Rock: AfganistanRegistered User regular
    No Mans Sky isnt out yet, still?

*reinstalls The Long Dark
    *reinstalls Sunless Sea

Im good to go.

• Options
    LasbrookLasbrook It takes a lot to make a stew When it comes to me and youRegistered User regular
    Amplitude is an indie game right? I'm starting to finally get my physical rewards from the Kickstarter. They seem to be mailing them one at a time.

• Options
    Yeah, definitely

I fell off of Amplitude pretty quickly

Licensed music is such a huge draw for the older games, and while the soundtrack on this Amplitude was fine, it's not really why I come to the series

• Options
    LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    https://youtu.be/_Y6Vzn3sqTM

Seem to be a bunch of cool games in this little roundup.

• Options
    IGN had a feature on Yooka-Laylee today which included this choice bit
    There’s a minecart bit in every world that’s a mix of old school 2D gameplay, like the mine cart levels in the Donkey Kong Country series but Playtonic have also taken inspiration from games like Trials HD.

Oh my.

Yesssss

• Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Barcardi wrote: »

*reinstalls Sunless Sea

Im good to go.

No no, the proper reaction is to go be shitty to the studio on social media.

(Obviously don't actually do this, but I'm still really fucking upset that this a thing that happened)

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Yooka-Laylee looks so good oh my god

Bloodstained looks really not

But I don't like Castlevania so take that as a good sign

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Moth 13Moth 13 Registered User regular
    So Crypt of the Necrodancer recently updated with two new soundtracks? Niiiiiice.

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Going by the OP, Indie games can almost mean " What the AAA dev's of the 90's stopped making"

We've got a banjo rebirth, a megaman rebirth, a castlevania rebirth, a Shantae rebirth, etc, heh

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    BarcardiBarcardi All the Wizards Under A Rock: AfganistanRegistered User regular
    edited June 2016

*reinstalls Sunless Sea

Im good to go.

(Obviously don't actually do this, but I'm still really fucking upset that this a thing that happened)

Shit like this is why im glad im not on the internet so much these days, I had zero idea... christ thats stupid

I said The Long Dark because No Mans Sky guy mentioned it as a inspiration over a year ago, maybe instead of doing that those people should have just played games that are inspiring to the creators?

Barcardi on
  • Options

*reinstalls Sunless Sea

Im good to go.

Shit like this is why im glad im not on the internet so much these days, I had zero idea... christ thats stupid

I said The Long Dark because No Mans Sky guy mentioned it as a inspiration over a year ago, maybe instead of doing that those people should have just played games that are inspiring to the creators?

Heck they are such big fans, Long Dark being reinstalled might be part of the reason NMS got delayed :rotate:

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
  • Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    Mighty No. 92

Set a hundred years after the first.

Not in-game, I mean that's when it's coming out.

• Options
    Mighty No. X

• Options
    Mr. G wrote: »
    Yooka-Laylee looks so good oh my god

Bloodstained looks really not

But I don't like Castlevania so take that as a good sign

Yeah, it looks like the most Castlevania-ass Castlevania game, it's gonna be great.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    For those like me who fell down the Oxenfree ARG, the Object Retreival is underway!

Edit: It's been found.

Mx. Quill on
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    I've been playing some Downwell recently. I just beat it on hard and with that I have all the achievements.

• Options
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    after watching the Bound trailer I feel like I suddenly understand interpretive dance

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    Klei's next game reminds me of Nom Nom galaxy, minus the soup.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8eDpSAGpQM

• Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    I love Klei's art style a whole lot

but invisible inc remains the only game of theirs to actually capture me with its gameplay

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    Dubh wrote: »

but invisible inc remains the only game of theirs to actually capture me with its gameplay

Same but with Mark of the Ninja

Invisible Inc. seemed well crafted enough but just could not get its hooks into me

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular

If I were better at strategy stuff I'd be super into it but I've been learning the hard way recently that I suck at those kind of games.

• Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    Uriel wrote: »

If I were better at strategy stuff I'd be super into it but I've been learning the hard way recently that I suck at those kind of games.

tactical strategy the genre that finally taught me that getting really good at a game can be very not worth it

but invisible inc. is a LOT more fair than XCOM, so they're not all cut from the same cloth necessarily

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    Moth 13Moth 13 Registered User regular
    Hey hey. Downwell is a real fun game.

• Options

Getting almost a Donkey Kong Country feel from the animal form stuff.

So stoked.

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    It's a shame that Shantae is the genre it is because that's a really neat art style and that music kicked ass

• Options
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    It's a shame that Shantae is the genre it is because that's a really neat art style and that music kicked ass

Don't like platformers?

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    DysDys how am I even using this gun Registered User regular
    How's Hollow Knight doing?

Anyone know?

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular

Don't like platformers?

its more that platformers don't like graham

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    also shantae games are metroidvanias and those aren't everyone's cup of tea

• Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    It's weird I think the shantae is mostly good but I don't like really like it in motion at all

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options

Don't like platformers?

its more that platformers don't like graham

Ah, that really is too bad. Shantae is a really good series.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    WordLustWordLust Fort Wayne, INRegistered User regular
    I would also vouch that Shantae is a great series. Honestly I don't think they are too platforming intensive most of the time. There are some challenging platforming SECTIONS here and there, like in dungeons and so on. But since they are actually light metroidvanias, a lot of the time you're just doing very easy platforming and whipping baddies with your hair. Or throwing magic fireballs at them or whatever.

This discussion has been closed.