As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PAX West 2016 Challenge Coin: Updated August 14th with Order form

Nfan10039Nfan10039 Streamer/Gamer/DeveloperMontreal (Seattle eventually....)Registered User regular
edited August 2016 in PAX West
Hello all,

I hope everyone is doing well. As many of you know by now, SkeleVader has opened up the management of this year's challenge coin. RILMS and I will be working together on this project together and I wanted to take some time to introduce myself and talk about this project a little bit.

Last year I had a blast at PAX Prime 2015. This was my first year of attending a PAX convention. I had a wonderful time playing many unreleased games, trying out VR games for the first time, and meeting new friends! To top things off, I purchased a souvenir before I went. This was the PAX Challenge coin.

The PAX Challenge coin has been a very important project to me and to many others on this forum. The coin represents the city in which the PAX convention is held on one side, while the other represents some aspect of gaming. In the past, the coin has had dice, handhelds, consoles, computers, a coin slot, and many other things on them throughout the years. The Seattle side for last year had a Monorail.

I am hoping that this project is as successful as it has been in previous years. I am now accepting ideas on what you want on each side of the coin. I'm thinking possibly a controller for the gaming side, but it is up to the many wondrous forum members to ultimately decide. As for the Seattle side, I'm thinking the Pike Place Market sign, but again this is just a preliminary idea. All ideas are welcome, and I shall be accepting ideas until July 15th. This may be a tad early, but I want to make sure that I have enough time to make a poll for containing all ideas. This way, the most popular opinion will be put on the coin. There are other ideas for the coin as well which include size, finishes, and edge design. In the past a size of 1.75 inches has been used, along with an antique bronze finish. A smooth or reeded edge has also been popular in the past. Discuss away!

EDIT June 6th
goo.gl/forms/bGoZBZCIhWsaSkpu2 Is the link to the new idea form! Suggest away! All stated ideas posted in this thread will be inputted, so don't worry about inputting your idea again. All ideas will be on the final voting form as long as they aren't silly.

EDIT June 18th
So, how was everyone E3? Thank you everyone for your responses to the coin suggestion form. Things have been slowing down and I've also contacted Kiddercorp. Their response follows:

It is good to hear from you. Thank You for contacting us.

We would be honored to help you make your coin for Pax West.

Please include your coin design details in this email chain. You can attach any files or drawings that you have here.

We will assign you an order number and begin drafting up an artwork for you to approve.

Once we have a good idea of you design details we will be able to forward those details to the factory to come up with a price quote for you.

A typical 1.75" coin ends up costing around 5.25 each for an intial order of 100. As each of our coins is custom though, this price varies. We will have more specifics after a design is composed.

Once a design has been finalized and put in production it takes about 4 weeks for it to be made and shipped to you so the sooner we know your design ideas the better.

We appreciate your support of our veteran-owned & operated small family business.
Thank You.

Since they say it takes about 4 weeks to get made, I'm thinking of ending the survey next week, being the 25th of June. Make sure your responses get in. The voting process will start up soon after that with one ballot allowed. The voting process will end on July 9th or so. The voting will also ask for how many coins are wanted(which is not a necessary question, but does help me allot a ballpark estimate to kiddercorp). Any further question can be shot over via pm or posted below. Thanks and looking forward to getting everything set up.

EDIT June 27th
Well hello everyone! I hope all of you are having a great June! We're quickly getting close to PAX Prime/West! I want to thank everyone for submitting ideas to the first poll. With that out of the way, I want to say that I'm sorry it wasn't posted yesterday, but it is finally ready. The first poll to decide what the TOP 3 choices are! I decided to do it this way, since we have WAY TOO MANY fantastic ideas. This will sort out the ideas so that the second poll is easier to complete. You may vote for your own ideas, but voting for your own ideas may not necessarily make it win. Good luck to everyone!

First Voting poll located at: http://goo.gl/forms/jD90vBj4uLeVyRHG3

This poll closes on July 9th! Now voting begins! I'm so excited!

EDIT July 10th
All right, we've come into the final weeks before Pax Prime! The last poll has ended and I'm excited to announce that the coin will be reeded and only come in the regular colour palette. This has been decided because of the way the last poll went. Not even half of you wanted the colour version of the coin. Reeded beat out smooth by a land slide. The choices of finish for the coin has been reduced to three options. Another aspect of the coin which has been nailed down is that we are going with 1.75". The gaming side in this final poll has 4 options since the 3rd place was tied between Unity and The QBert Pyramid. As for the Seattle side, we only have 3 options. Make sure to get your vote in as voting for this will be closing on the 20th of July.

Final Voting poll located at http://goo.gl/forms/cK8t9o1zLjkydegI3
With the saving of the poll opens up the poll. I've also changed the way in how voting once works. You must use your forum handle to submit this time, NOT a Google account. I shall update after the 20th.

EDIT July 20th
Wow, what a fantastic turnout for all of this. Before I get to what everyone wants, the final results, I want to take a quick moment to thank some very important people who have supported me throughout this whole ordeal. First off, Skelevader deserves thanks for giving me a shot to run this year's PAX Prime/West Coin. I also want to thank RILMS for being my #2. If you don't already know, RILMS has taken it upon himself to work the August month for the coin to make sure everything comes together in time for PAX Prime/West 2016 as I will not be online much due to the fact that I'm travelling to England! And finally, I want to thank all of you who have given a little time to read every post, to suggest some great ideas, to vote for some amazing ideas, and finally hope that the choice you picked won this year's coin. Anyways, let's hop right into the results!

For the finish colour of the coin, (choices were Antique Gold, Antique Brass, and Antique Bronze)
Coming in 3rd with 25% of the votes: Antique Gold(my pick)
Coming in 2nd with 27.5% of the votes: Antique Brass
That means in 1st place with 47.5% of the votes: Antique Bronze....That's right everyone, this year's challenge coin is going to be penny coloured.

For the Seattle side of the coin, (choices were Pink Elephant Car Wash, Fremont Troll, and Dick's)
Coming in 3rd with 22.5% of the votes: Long Dick's Sausage Emporium
Coming in 2nd with 35% of the votes: The Pink Elephant Car Wash(my personal favourite....oh well, maybe next year)
That means in 1st place with 42.5% of the votes: Fremont Troll.....so let's hear it for the troll! WOO!

All right, now for the side that everyone cares a LOT about(I was even pestered by my good friend Garet_Jax to reveal what was in the lead). We had four choices, which were The QBert Pyramid, Virtual Reality, Unity. A collage of props, icons, or
elements that represent different gaming genres, and Khoo's Pic! So without further ado, let's hop right into the results.
Coming in 4th with 12.5% of the votes: The QBert Pyramid
Coming in 3rd with 25% of the votes: Virtual Reality
Coming in 2nd with 30% of the votes: Unity. A collage of props, icons, or elements that represent different gaming genres(my pick)
Which means in 1st place with 32.5% of the votes: KHOO'S PIC!

What a close race. Thank you to everyone who voted. We ended up with 40 people that voted for this final ballot! Not a bad turnout if I do say so myself. Anyways, this has been the Prime Challenge Coin 2016 awards show. Thank you for coming out! *clap clap clap*

So this next part won't be in a poll, however I need help deciding what form of Khoo you guys want a picture of. We could have a collage of different Khoo pictures, or we could do his Penny Arcade avatar, or we could do his real life face....It'll be interesting to see what everyone wants. In the meantime, I'll ask Khoo if it is alright to put his face/avatar on the coin. Maybe he would even be able to suggest some poses of himself for the coin. Anyways, I'll post this now with a short version on page 2.

EDIT August 1st
Okay, so RILMS has created an interest form, so that we can better see the interest for the coin. It includes sections to gather information on how many coins you wish to get. This includes the coloured version and regular version of the coin. The link to it is here! We also have a proof for the coin which is gydmtqyspvbo.jpg We are getting extremely close to opening up orders as well, but I'll post details for that VERY soon.

Edit August 14th
Order Form https://goo.gl/forms/lKwPMdCBA3HSzJIs1

ajor19ru24j1.png
Just a nerd into anything Nintendo, anime, MCU, Star Wars, and board games/card games.
Also a computer scientist and a streamer.
Nfan10039 on

• RILMSRILMS North BayRegistered User regular
    edited June 2016
  • Nfan10039Nfan10039 Streamer/Gamer/Developer Montreal (Seattle eventually....)Registered User regular
    Alright, so diving into what was used previously for the Seattle landmark, it looks like the Space Needle, Convention Center, Pike Place Market, a Ferry, & the Paramount Theatre have all been used in the past. It's up to you whether you wish to reuse one of these ideas or come up with an entirely new landmark.

ajor19ru24j1.png
    Just a nerd into anything Nintendo, anime, MCU, Star Wars, and board games/card games.
  • TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited June 2016
    Nfan10039 wrote: »
    Alright, so diving into what was used previously for the Seattle landmark, it looks like the Space Needle, Convention Center, Pike Place Market, a Ferry, & the Paramount Theatre have all been used in the past. It's up to you whether you wish to reuse one of these ideas or come up with an entirely new landmark.

The EMP Museum or Pacific Science center might be pretty slick looking options.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • TheAggroCraigTheAggroCraig Ultimate Lucky Douchebag MassachusettsRegistered User regular

The monorail was used as well.

I'm not too keen on Seattle landmarks, so I'll let the locals figure that one out.

• nixternixter roughly Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    Has Mt. Rainier been used yet?

aka Avidguru from Twitter and elsewhere

O1vSeKm.png
  • SkeleVaderSkeleVader Your Friendly Dark Lord of Destruction Registered User regular
    RILMS posted the wiki link above that shows the history of what has been used. Mt. Rainier was in the background of the Ferry & EMP/Monorail was used last year.

IhtGIyi.png
    Oh, I know, the holiest of destinations: Dick's up on Cap Hill.

wWuzwvJ.png
    I am not from Seattle, nor have I ever been...but I did watch the Stripsearch episode where they go places in Seattle.

Some that stuck out were the umbrella, the Great Wheel, and the Aquarium.

OtyHMcu.jpg
  • wolfemancswolfemancs Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    If it doesn't have to be Seattle Proper, but just the region, and you want to stay gaming related, maybe a nice shot of either Microsoft or Nintendo Headquarters, both in Redmond. Or Valve in Bellevue, or WotC in Renton.

If you want to stay Seattle proper and go away from games, there's the Jimi Hendrix statue on the corner of Broadway and Pine. I think I read the new 520 bridge is the longest floating bridge in the world, so that could be neat too.

wolfemancs on
  • TheAggroCraigTheAggroCraig Ultimate Lucky Douchebag MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    edited June 2016
    TOGSolid wrote: »

This is the best idea, there's nothing like stuffing your face with a big bag of Dicks!

TheAggroCraig on
  • YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    TOGSolid wrote: »

Dick's is the place where the crew hang out.

YoungFrey on
  • Nfan10039Nfan10039 Streamer/Gamer/Developer Montreal (Seattle eventually....)Registered User regular
    While I haven't added any of the previously mentioned places, people should look at the original post to see a link to a Google Form which will be used for inputting your thoughts/ideas into this year's challenge coin! Mentioned places will be added to the answers(so if you have already suggested an idea no worries don't have to submit it again), and will be voted on in about a month and a half's time.

ajor19ru24j1.png
  • n3rdlinkn3rdlink Detroit, MIRegistered User regular
    edited June 2016
    What about the Gum wall or the Fremont troll?

Edit; added suggestions to the survey

n3rdlink on
  • jamsyarbotsjamsyarbots Wilmington, DERegistered User regular
    n3rdlink wrote: »
    What about the Gum wall or the Fremont troll?

I think the gum wall is a cool idea but how would you convey that on a coin?

edited June 2016

Not exactly sure. Maybe a shot looking down the alley like this? i2.cdn.turner.com/cnnnext/dam/assets/151104112054-seattle-pike-place-gum-wall-exlarge-169.jpg
    I will say looking at the pictures and seeing people lick the wall is making me want to vomit.

BTW...this is the Fremont Troll https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/d/d3/FremontTroll.jpg

n3rdlink on
  • jamsyarbotsjamsyarbots Wilmington, DERegistered User regular
    n3rdlink wrote: »

Not exactly sure. Maybe a shot looking down the alley like this? i2.cdn.turner.com/cnnnext/dam/assets/151104112054-seattle-pike-place-gum-wall-exlarge-169.jpg
    I will say looking at the pictures and seeing people lick the wall is making me want to vomit.

BTW...this is the Fremont Troll https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/d/d3/FremontTroll.jpg

I bet that would work. Also, I didn't realize that there is an option for color in the coins, guess I should have read that first. Good call on the Fremont Troll, I bet that would make a kick ass coin.

As a side note, I refuse to believe that there are people in the world who are licking the gum wall. I'm not asking for proof, I just need to live in a world where that doesn't happen. I can't accept the alternative.

As a side note, I refuse to believe that there are people in the world who are licking the gum wall. I'm not asking for proof, I just need to live in a world where that doesn't happen. I can't accept the alternative.

google image search...not even once LOL

• DaPaladinDaPaladin Registered User regular
    6xlm1wcirdf3.jpg
    When I was a kid driving into Seattle to go to the Science Center or downtown in general, I knew I arrived when I saw this.

jparp8146qaj.png
  • YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    DaPaladin wrote: »
    6xlm1wcirdf3.jpg
    When I was a kid driving into Seattle to go to the Science Center or downtown in general, I knew I arrived when I saw this.

As an adult renting a car to see Seattle before PAX, that sign tells me I got lost and looped around again.

YoungFrey on
  • SkeleVaderSkeleVader Your Friendly Dark Lord of Destruction Registered User regular
    Here are a few mockups from last year that didn't get used:

Troll:
    5rBVAVQ.png

Car Wash:
    OmrKsrY.png

King Street Station:
    QXWmIc7.png

IhtGIyi.png
    I'm loving everyone's response to the form questions! I'm also stoked that tickets went on sale, not that that's anyway related to the coin. I love the mockups that you posted @SkeleVader . I remember some of these from last year.

ajor19ru24j1.png
  • S2000GanS2000Gan Spartan-Rogue Class, Red Squad Bellevue, WARegistered User regular
    edited June 2016
    I vote we keep at 1.75" and Antiqued Bronze. Let's not have a repeat of 2011 xD
    As for gaming ideas, maybe card games? We haven't done that yet.

S2000Gan on
    hnx2ZrU.jpg6jYGFlE.png
  • SutibunRiSutibunRi Montreal, Quebec, CanadaRegistered User regular
    I had a thought for the gaming side.
    vc88vn23va8x.png

I'm so sorry.

• PookyAlertPookyAlert Registered User regular
    I'm at peace with the troll this year. Elephants are also welcome. :smile: Or Bertha, though she's not really permanent, I remember her being mentioned last year. ;) I like card games for the back, though my fave last year (for obvious reasons if you know me) was a handheld gaming thing like a 3DS screen of some sort. :wink:

Personally, I like the king street station the best. It is a landmark that actually has a connection to Pax since a good number of people use it to travel.

IhtGIyi.png
  • Dr.RocktipusDr.Rocktipus Registered User regular
    My second PAX I stayed at a motel a mile away from the CC and walked by the elephant sign every morning. It was a great PAX and I have a special place in my heart for that elephant as a result.

• I3izzyI3izzy Nonofficial member of the F5 brigade FG, ORRegistered User regular
    I hope you have something in place so that someone can't troll your survey, because I can submit it as many times as I want.

ZYseqtZ.png
    I3izzy wrote: »
    I hope you have something in place so that someone can't troll your survey, because I can submit it as many times as I want.
    This is only the suggestion form. If you have more ideas you can add them. The voting form will have a restriction where you can only vote once

ajor19ru24j1.png
    If you haven't already, make sure to contact Kiddercorp and get a timeline when you need to submit the design to them. It comes up quick.
    @akidderz is part of their company and stops by here time to time. If @RILMS hasn't sent you their info I can.

IhtGIyi.png
    I'll contact kiddercorp tonight and see when I need to submit the design by. Coins may not be available in person at PAX West due to my limited amount of money. If this is a problem for skelevader or anyone else, I suggest we split the coins and the cost when we meet in Seattle

ajor19ru24j1.png
    edited June 2016
    What South did was everyone paid for their own coins via paypal to Kiddercorp and they ship them to each person.

Regular coins cost 5$ and colour 6$, plus 3$ for shipping within the US.

I only delivered a few coins to one person. The other 200 or so never touched my hands :)

RILMS on
    OtyHMcu.jpg
    Email has just been sent. From what I gather from @RILMS I may order some additional ones for myself if people PM me saying they want them in person, otherwise it looks like it will mostly be through paypal to kiddercorp once more with a price similar to that of South. I don't remember how much it was for Prime last year, but @SkeleVader probably remembers. Hopefully, they can get back to me in the morning as then I can provide additional details to all of you lovely forumers!

ajor19ru24j1.png
  • I3izzyI3izzy Nonofficial member of the F5 brigade FG, ORRegistered User regular
    edited June 2016
    Email has just been sent. From what I gather from @RILMS I may order some additional ones for myself if people PM me saying they want them in person, otherwise it looks like it will mostly be through paypal to kiddercorp once more with a price similar to that of South. I don't remember how much it was for Prime last year, but @SkeleVader probably remembers. Hopefully, they can get back to me in the morning as then I can provide additional details to all of you lovely forumers!

Per the thread from last time:
    SkeleVader wrote: »
    Coins are $5 each. If you live in the USA, shipping is a flat $3 for your order. If you live outside the USA, shipping is $14 for 1 - 6 coins, and $30 for 7+ coins

I3izzy on
    ZYseqtZ.png
  • forbiddenvoidforbiddenvoid Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Under the recent circumstances, could we put Khoo's pic on the coin?

ewnk2szpswv2.png

PAX. PAX. PAX. Boom.
    edited June 2016
    I wonder how that would go over...

Would we be allowed to use someones likeness on a PAX coin? We may have to ask permission

RILMS on
    OtyHMcu.jpg
  • zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    You should definitely ask permission if you decide you want to do that.

• DaPaladinDaPaladin Registered User regular
    I always thought it would be cool to have a profile of Jerry, Mike, or Robert's faces on one side - obviously with their permission.

jparp8146qaj.png
    edited June 2016
    A series of PAX coins with them on the front and major PAX stuff on the back could be a rather hilarious and cool set to collect if they're ok with it. Like a series of commemorative US coins haha.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • shufeltsrshufeltsr Registered User new member
    For the gaming side I think you should use the flag that is outside the convention center every year that reads "welcome home". I know it isn't a controller but it does sum up how many of us feel walking into a convention with 60K+ gaming enthusiasts who love being geeks as much as we do! I think it would be very appropriate on a challenge coin.

One week left to submit ideas for the coin!!

OtyHMcu.jpg