As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PAX West 2016 Forum Badge

kropotkinkropotkin Forum Badge CreatorLondon UKRegistered User regular
edited June 2016 in PAX West
In 2008 I first started making badges for members of this esteemed forum. The world was a simpler place back then, where the colour of the forum itself was a deep blue and social networking was in its infancy. Forums were the sole source of information and from there a whole community was born.

8 years later and while the community has shrunk a little, it's still thriving. This despite the ever encroaching influence of Facebook/Reddit/[insert yet to be invented social networking thingy here] the PAX Community forums is a unique place that has people swapping tips on how to get the most out of PAX. I created the forum badges as a means to get people to put faces to the weird little handles we attribute ourselves to in these forums that are worn while at PAX. So far they have only ever existed at 2 of the 4 PAXs, with South and Aus not yet adopting the forum badges. This will hopefully change in 2017, but for now only East and West are covered.

So here we are again in 2016 where PAX West, the new name of Prime rolls up and after the ticket sales are over, the design of the forum badges can commence! Historically I have put up a choice of concepts for people to vote and choose from. This year I have decided to drop that in favour of presenting a single concept that we can all hone to perfection. That concept is the Early Access Forum Badge. It's a forum badge that is lacking a lot of features but is still a forum badge. It looks like this:
160610%20PAX%20West%202016%20PA%20Forum%20Badge%20Front%20Early%20Access_zps71eqcavx.jpg

So what do we need to do to it to make it better? Answers below!

ryr7xy0i2ynw.png

kropotkin on

• Options
    thedragongemthedragongem Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    How about some type of ode to Minecraft since it was on of the first successful early access games? Just re-read your post, please ignore my prior suggestion.

Might I suggest a more digital looking font maybe.

thedragongem on
    badge.png
  • Options
    RILMSRILMS North BayRegistered User regular
    I would love to have the forum badge at South next year!

Just need to know how...

OtyHMcu.jpg
  • Options
    forbiddenvoidforbiddenvoid Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I am in love with this already. Great work!

ewnk2szpswv2.png

PAX. PAX. PAX. Boom.
  • Options
    Nfan10039Nfan10039 Streamer/Gamer/Developer Montreal (Seattle eventually....)Registered User regular
    Whatever you decide to do, can it pay homage to Seattle akin to the challenge coin? I'm definitely interested in picking one of these up again this year

ajor19ru24j1.png
    Just a nerd into anything Nintendo, anime, MCU, Star Wars, and board games/card games.
    Also a computer scientist and a streamer.
  • Options
    BluemeaneBluemeane Registered User regular
    Woohooo!!! So excited for my next Forum badge!!!!

jj0mqt5d2a94.png

PAAAAAAAAAAAAAAXXXXXXXXXXX!
  • Options
    BluemeaneBluemeane Registered User regular
    How about some kind of 'early access' water mark of somekind?

jj0mqt5d2a94.png

PAAAAAAAAAAAAAAXXXXXXXXXXX!
  • Options
    Sgt.MaysSgt.Mays Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Not bad, maybe the box over the crest should be another color IMO though.

Gaymer, Nerd and Fan of Freeman's Mind/Half-life/GTA/Red Vs Blue

Attended: East 14, 15 and West 16
    Attending West 2019
  • Options
    bacon_avengerbacon_avenger Defender of Pork Products Pacific NW, USARegistered User regular
    Idea: Since this year appears to be the first using the newer west branding (well, in most places this time), how about putting Prime on the badge, in a crossed out font, with West imposed over the top (or something similar)?

PAX Prime 2022 Checklist:[ ]Hotel [ ]Time Off [ ]Bobcats [ ]Challenge Coin [ ]Forum Badge
    eIMwu3s.png
  • Options
    jukkakhanjukkakhan Registered User regular
    You know how on early access game they have the build/version in the corner? Might I suggest it be something like "Version W127.0.0.1-PAX" as another nod to Welcome Home?

PimDtoK.png
  • Options
    Aardvark VulgarAardvark Vulgar Registered User regular
    PAX V2.1.2016 or PAX VV2.1.2016

Version 2 for west as v1 is prime. .1 as it is the first west.

My little contribution to the recent posts.

70xnyzr.png
  • Options
    S2000GanS2000Gan Spartan-Rogue Class, Red Squad Bellevue, WARegistered User regular
    jukkakhan wrote: »
    You know how on early access game they have the build/version in the corner? Might I suggest it be something like "Version W127.0.0.1-PAX" as another nod to Welcome Home?

I love the idea of having the build/version in the corner. Although I feel like a early access joke for the version/build would be more fitting than the 127 ip reference.

Hoping to keep up having my name on the back side list every year! xD

hnx2ZrU.jpg6jYGFlE.png
  • Options
    SolelronSolelron Wandering Gamer Cornelius, ORRegistered User regular
    I just keep thinking of a loading bar AKA Everquest :)

• Options
    cbelleviecbellevie Registered User regular
    I definitely like some version of saying 'Prime' rather than 'West', or making a nod to Prime. It was still showing Prime all over the site for quite a while leading up to badges being sold so that just seems like a good one.

• Options
    Rhea_starstormRhea_starstorm Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    Hooray! Love it!

• Options
    kropotkinkropotkin Forum Badge Creator London UKRegistered User regular
    I've taken on most people's comments with the exclusion of @Nfan10039 's idea of adding some Seattle related items onto it. This has never been a feature of the badge and it's a unique aspect of the Challenge Coin that I do not want to step on.

With respect to the box being another colour, this is a gap in the image that hasn't loaded, it's something web developers used to do before broadband with images broken up into smaller ones to optimising the loading of pages. This is what I'm trying to emulate here with the broken image box for part of the crest.

Here is the latest version that has adopted the comments so far made:
    160612%20PAX%20West%202016%20PA%20Forum%20Badge%20Front%20Early%20Access%20v2_zpsjwa6xvng.jpg

ryr7xy0i2ynw.png

• Options
    YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    How about one image be a place-holder because the art hasn't been done yet? Like an image scanned from an old D&D manual.

YoungFrey on
  • Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited June 2016
    Aww, I liked the original with the proper white image broken box. It made the joke way funnier.

Edit: That existed right? I distinctly remember seeing it in the OP o_o

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    skitterbugskitterbug Registered User regular
    I'm loving it! Great work, thank you!

*~o(^.^)o~*
  • Options
    XarthanXarthan Registered User regular
    Great work, looking forward to another year of the forum badge.

• Options
    SutibunRiSutibunRi Montreal, Quebec, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Woo! Forum Badge!

• Options
    TabbyKatTabbyKat Registered User regular
    Looking good so far! Excellent work.

• Options
    vespachicavespachica SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited June 2016
    Awww... now I'm getting all nostalgic for when the internet was broken and things were pixelated and not in focus.
    LOVE the "Prime" crossed out as an homage.

As always, @kropotkin - thanks for doing this. I love connecting with people in this way.

vespachica on
    ufq9gj8383nh.png

• Options
    AlphonsisAlphonsis Registered User regular
    I really like the homage to prime. The change from prime to west hit me oddly hard.

vhkbviT.png
  • Options
    I3izzyI3izzy Nonofficial member of the F5 brigade FG, ORRegistered User regular
    how about rather than blank spaces that draw your eye, maybe the wrong characters so it is like it came corrupt.

ZYseqtZ.png
  • Options
    IncarnadineIncarnadine Registered User regular
    I love it. As always, a great design.

• Options
    BitTWistBitTWist Kitsap CountyRegistered User regular
    Looking Good

3DS:2552-1222-3225 / PSN:BitTwist
  • Options
    @I3izzy I shall try it, but the use of underscore gave me memories of using AmigaDOS so I thought I'd try it here :)

ryr7xy0i2ynw.png

• Options
    RostaakRostaak Registered User regular
    Definitely a fan of the pixelation !

• Options
    Ghostly ClockworkGhostly Clockwork Registered User regular
    I like the pixels, but may want different colors to push the old school text. Maybe the classic green on black...Ooh, I have NO idea how you'd do it, but maybe a ASCI style forum badge? Dunno if that's been done.

FTC: honk.
    FTC: HONK.

HLRpxno.png
    PAX Prime 2014 Resistance Tournament Winner
  • Options
    KhadourKhadour Dinosaur Cupcake Hillsboro, ORRegistered User regular
    Can't wait to see its final form. Thank you as always for doing this, @kropotkin - I've loved every forum badge so far :biggrin:

Do unto others 20% better than you would expect them to do unto you, to correct for subjective error - Linus Pauling
    xWDsUaZ.png
    jswidget.php?username=cmdour&numitems=5&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1

• Options
    LedaXILedaXI Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    My first Prime forum badge! I can't wait. ^-^

• Options
    hyrulehero96hyrulehero96 The Hero of Rhyme Registered User regular
    Looking amazing as always. Thank you for all the work you put into these!

Slim, Relax, Fine Wine At The Qfc, On A Snowy Saturday Night

My Body Is always Reggie
  • Options
    TimoonTimoon Occupied Canada Registered User regular
    Very nice!

• Options
    ClannMorganClannMorgan Registered User regular
    Looking forward to wearing the badge all weekend. It's a great way to show forum pride and spot fellow forumers.

• Options
    DashDDashD Dread Pirate Chef Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Love this idea!

"Brilliant! Oh wait, if we were meant to fly, we would have been born with little bags of nuts."
    PAX_Badge_Sig.png
  • Options
    I've read through some of the comments and there seems to be some confusion over what an Early Access Forum Badge actually is. The concept is that the badge is half formed. It's in the process of being developed, just like a video game in early access is. This is not a video game/badge hybrid, it's just a badge. I'm trying to impart what early access means for a physical object as much as a video game. This actually adds somewhat to the humour of it.

ryr7xy0i2ynw.png

• Options
    YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    kropotkin wrote: »
    I've read through some of the comments and there seems to be some confusion over what an Early Access Forum Badge actually is. The concept is that the badge is half formed. It's in the process of being developed, just like a video game in early access is. This is not a video game/badge hybrid, it's just a badge. I'm trying to impart what early access means for a physical object as much as a video game. This actually adds somewhat to the humour of it.

A bunch of my suggestions along this line might be funny, but make it a lower quality of a badge.
    Like printing it on really cheap paper. Or not laminating it.

• Options
    IncarnadineIncarnadine Registered User regular
    To bad you can't have a link to the NDA.

• Options
    hml151hml151 Registered User regular
    It will be another amazing year trying to remember to grab a badge from you. I will be doing cookie brigading too again! Thank you for making awesome badges every year.

Max sig size: 500x80px OR 4 lines of text
    School Girl Goodness...Watch for us at future PAX Prime events. If want some of my geek chic collection, click on the etsy link.

http://s774.photobucket.com/user/SchoolGirlGoodness/library/
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/VeronatheMad

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    zwitterionzwitterion Registered User regular
    Maybe sneak a little "prime" symbol in there as an ode to earlier builds of the badge