As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Voltron: Legendary Defender - Do ya like (Robot) Cats?

• GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    That first comes up in episode 3.

Also, I'm up to episode 8, and Hunk and Pidge continue to be the best.

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• KochikensKochikens Registered User regular
    Chuffed as fuck that Pidge is some kind of non binary for realsies and i called it hardddd on only ep 1

They reveal theyre afaib but keep dressing 'like a boy' instead of reverting back to their 'girlclothes'

Only on ep 8 tho so still could go very binary, but in my mind just supes nonbinary and the show doesnt bave the language for it

Kochikens wrote: »
    Chuffed as fuck that Pidge is some kind of non binary for realsies and i called it hardddd on only ep 1

They reveal theyre afaib but keep dressing 'like a boy' instead of reverting back to their 'girlclothes'

Only on ep 8 tho so still could go very binary, but in my mind just supes nonbinary and the show doesnt bave the language for it
    afaib?

• KochikensKochikens Registered User regular
    Assigned female at birth

I added another letter in there due to phone typing while watching cartoons WHOOPS SORRY

• DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular

This is also part of the creative team that opted to go as far as they could on network TV with the ending of Legend of Korra.

• PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    Dedwrekka wrote: »

This is also part of the creative team that opted to go as far as they could on network TV with the ending of Legend of Korra.
    It's pretty telling that we had an episode where she admitted to everyone that she's female, but didn't change her appearance despite having no reason to keep pretending to be someone else if the sole motivation was hiding from Earth's space school principal.

Phillishere on
  • PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    Pidge's secret
    So did she enroll with her real first name and a fake last name? Or I guess that's not addressed simply because they didn't want to call a character by a different name halfway through.

Peewi wrote: »
    Pidge's secret
    So did she enroll with her real first name and a fake last name? Or I guess that's not addressed simply because they didn't want to call a character by a different name halfway through.
    Her real name is Katie. Shiro calls her by that name when he reveals to her that he knows her secret. She enrolled as Pidge Gunderson.

edited June 2016
    Finished Season 1
    Last Ep
    Was not expecting Zarkon to be the original black paladin.

Dedwrekka on
  • BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular

It's pretty telling that we had an episode where she admitted to everyone that she's female, but didn't change her appearance despite having no reason to keep pretending to be someone else if the sole motivation was hiding from Earth's space school principal.
    I'm not saying anyone is wrong about Pidge's non-binary ness but her lack of appearance change is likely because they only seem to have the one outfit that they came in judging from everyone else wearing the same thing aside from sleep robes

CYpGAPn.png
    edited June 2016

Well, I mean, she can't uncut her hair, and it doesn't look like any of them brought any extra Earth clothes with them.

I guess she could have asked the princess if she had any leftover clothes from childhood, maybe? What other options does she have?

Goatmon on

• TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Woops wrong tags huh?

Oh well. Good thing I don't mind spoilers so much.

It was up for less than a couple seconds before I erased it and re-edited it.

• TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    It was up for less than a couple seconds before I erased it and re-edited it.

Yeah I'm not mad!

It can be hard to buy the right tag sometimes on mobile in particular.

Just saying. I'm glad that out of anyone it got me. I'm super indifferent about spoilers.

Tallahasseeriel on
    Peewi wrote: »
    Pidge's secret
    Her real name is Katie. Shiro calls her by that name when he reveals to her that he knows her secret. She enrolled as Pidge Gunderson.

Oh, I missed that. The dangers of browsing the web while watching stuff.

• MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    oh goddamit, that was the finale?

ikbUJdU.jpg
    Just finished the season. That was crazy awesome.
    Zarkon used to pilot the black lion. That's nuts.

That guy is stupidly powerful.

Good thing Keith unlocked a new weapon at the last second, huh?

Also, neat Cliffhanger to end the season on.

On the penultimate episode now

Man all of the character designs on this show are so good

The Paladins, the enemy grunts, Zarkon, etc.

CYpGAPn.png
    edited June 2016
    THESPOOKY wrote: »
    Also re: Allura, full spoilers
    While she never pilots a lion, it kind of takes away some of the sting when she shoulder checks a robot to death straight through a steel bulkhead

like it just ain't even a thing, too. Allura is She-Hulk, fuck a bunch of lions.
    That was fantastic.

Although she's probably a smidge less strong when she isn't amazon sized.

Goatmon on

• AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Goatmon wrote: »
    While she never pilots a lion, it kind of takes away some of the sting when she shoulder checks a robot to death straight through a steel bulkhead

like it just ain't even a thing, too. Allura is She-Hulk, fuck a bunch of lions.
    That was fantastic.

I doubt it. Everything about the show portrays her as a powerful, but inexperienced, future ass-kicker. Reminds me a lot of Katara.

I'm sure she'll be piloting a lion at some point, or maybe some other Voltron Force if they introduce those. She so desperately wants to fight.

I kinda exploded in excitement over this show over in D&D. Put simply.. I want season 2 now. And I want a blu-ray of Season 1 even sooner.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
    edited June 2016
    Athenor wrote: »
    Goatmon wrote: »

That was fantastic.

I doubt it. Everything about the show portrays her as a powerful, but inexperienced, future ass-kicker. Reminds me a lot of Katara.

I'm sure she'll be piloting a lion at some point, or maybe some other Voltron Force if they introduce those. She so desperately wants to fight.

I kinda exploded in excitement over this show over in D&D. Put simply.. I want season 2 now. And I want a blu-ray of Season 1 even sooner.
    Oh she's definitely much stronger than a human by default, given she didn't get why Shiro was so surprised at seeing her shoulder slam a steel door off its hinges.

I just meant that she's probably a little less strong when she's not seven feet tall.

And if this show is going to follow in the footsteps of the old school, she will end up replacing one of the pilots. She ended up piloting the blue lion in the original show. But I'm okay with her as is. She's already pretty awesome and has plenty to do. I'm not loving her accent, though.

And yes, I need season 2 asap.

Goatmon on

Just finished it up

Man that was a sudden, but not terrible, ending.

Whole lot of developments in that final episode
    Zarkon is the original Black Paladin!

Bayards can turn into all kinds of shit!

The lions have multiple weapons!

Shiro was almost corrupted by Haggar!

There is a Voltron sympathizer double agent within Galra!

CYpGAPn.png
  • nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    This show is fine but it isn't really doing it for me. This is gonna get me shunned but I just dont think Voltron is all that interesting. This season mostly just made me wish for an america remake of the original gundam series made by this same production group.

Quire.jpg
    I've never been a giant robot guy so Voltron is just kind of okay for me

I think the lions are cooler than Voltron itself

But luckily the Paladins and Alura and Corin and Zarkon are all super great and entertaining so I am into the show for them.

CYpGAPn.png
  • THESPOOKYTHESPOOKY papa! Registered User regular
    This show is fine but it isn't really doing it for me. This is gonna get me shunned but I just dont think Voltron is all that interesting. This season mostly just made me wish for an america remake of the original gundam series made by this same production group.

I don't think Joaquim Dos Santos and Lauren Montgomery's whole thing would be a good fit for the tone of Mobile Suit Gundam at all

Now, G Gundam 2....

d4753b065e9d63cc25203f06160a1cd1.png
  • QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Seeing it was made by one of the Korra show runners got me to check this out. It's great.

I think Hunk ended up being my favorite character

All of the Paladins and Alura and Corin are great though and no one really felt like they got the short end of the character stick

Also boy howdy do I love the Paladin flight suits. If I cosplay ever those are gonna be at the top of my list.

CYpGAPn.png
    edited June 2016
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    I think Hunk ended up being my favorite character

All of the Paladins and Alura and Corin are great though and no one really felt like they got the short end of the character stick

Also boy howdy do I love the Paladin flight suits. If I cosplay ever those are gonna be at the top of my list.

Oh god, I could totally cosplay as Hunk.

Shit, that is a thing I could maybe pull off.

Hmmmm

Goatmon on

• nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    edited June 2016

I don't think Joaquim Dos Santos and Lauren Montgomery's whole thing would be a good fit for the tone of Mobile Suit Gundam at all

Now, G Gundam 2....

The tone of OG Voltron isnt really the same either. I would like to see the story of Gundam but with this tone. Maybe just a touch more serious. Like third season Avatar serious?

nightmarenny on
    Quire.jpg
  • chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular

Now, G Gundam 2....

Yeah, Gundam 079's not ideal for the format. There's a lot of comic relief, but the primary tone is "So, war. It sucks a big one, huh?" A huge part of the narrative format is building up sympathetic characters over several episodes, get you to care...

And then brutally murdering them and moving on, because c'est la guerre.

Not quite the same.

• QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Aw Pidge

Episode 3:
    I knew that picture couldn't be so simple. That's a great twist.

I really like that the characters are well worn archetypes but don't feel like generic cut outs

Like Pidge is the nerdy science whiz but also has a lot more going on, Hunk is the friendly big guy but he's also kind of an engineering whiz and is more than a walking punchline, Lance is...well, he and Keith are probably the least fleshed out of the group but they're still a fun take on the pilot rival duo concept, Shiro is the mysterious badass but isn't a loner and likes the team and cracks jokes, Alura isn't just an aloof alien princess and Corin is actually pretty dang competent for all of his slapstick blunder.

This show is real good

CYpGAPn.png
    Also Hunk has the best Lion because half the time
    he just uses it like a big dumb battering ram and it is wonderful

CYpGAPn.png
  • Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I know Lance is Jeremy Shada but man he's got a real Hank Venture vibe going on at times

• AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Also Hunk has the best Lion because half the time
    he just uses it like a big dumb battering ram and it is wonderful

season spoilers just to be safe...
    I don't think I remember the Yellow Lion's mouth opening at any point. When he does start doing that, it's gonna be impressive.

Also Pidge's lion can cloak thanks to her, but it has to have some inherent power like the fire & ice bros.. can't wait to see that.

Final note: I swear in the intro you see Shiro using the black .. er.. whatever those weapons were called. But we see the big bad still having his.. I wonder when they'll get it back?

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
    I really like that the characters are well worn archetypes but don't feel like generic cut outs

Like Pidge is the nerdy science whiz but also has a lot more going on, Hunk is the friendly big guy but he's also kind of an engineering whiz and is more than a walking punchline, Lance is...well, he and Keith are probably the least fleshed out of the group but they're still a fun take on the pilot rival duo concept, Shiro is the mysterious badass but isn't a loner and likes the team and cracks jokes, Alura isn't just an aloof alien princess and Corin is actually pretty dang competent for all of his slapstick blunder.

This show is real good

At a few points I thought of Lance and Keith as smart Sokka and stupid Sokka.

• ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    I have a question

Do they ever explain

Why lions

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
    I have a question

Do they ever explain

Why lions
    Cause lions are cool

CYpGAPn.png
  • WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    I have a question

Do they ever explain

Why lions

Source material, just like zyuranger/mmpr

WeedLordVegeta on
  • ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    I have a question

Do they ever explain

Why lions

Source material, just like zyuranger/mmpr

Well but what I mean is

Power rangers at least goes "you get your power from the ancient dinosaurs", which is bull but it's something

Voltron is just lions!

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group