As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Shooting in Florida gay club, 50+ casualties currently feared

TubeTube Registered User admin
http://www.cnn.com/2016/06/12/us/orlando-nightclub-shooting/

So that the LGBT thread can be a little more upbeat. I don't have any comment on this now just... jesus.

• TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Jesus christ.

What horrible news to wake up to.

I'm so sick of this happening in this country.

• ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Fuckin

Fuck

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    I'm beyond filled with sadness and rage at this.

I'm going to be even more filled with sadness and rage when NOTHING IS DONE.

Again.

I feel so terrible for those people. For the fact that of 300 people supposedly in there, 1/6 didn't come out with their lives and another 1/6 are now left with the title "survivor".

I'm so upset.

I'll be upset again in future.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Again, one in six people in that club were murdered.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    The death toll's up to fifty. As many wounded. I really can't construe this as anything other than a hate crime, but I still haven't heard a lot of info on the shooter besides the fact that he's "not white."

Gundi on
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    I know a few people that have frequented Pulse in recent years. They are all okay, but even so. Having this happen this close to home is insanity

I am also left with a hopelessness that anything positive will come from this. Nothing happened after Sandy Hook. After a few weeks of empty condolences, those in charge will not be shaken to action by an act of violence targeting a group that many of them would still deny basic rights to

I am incredibly saddened by this

But absolutely no part of me is shocked or finds this unbelievable

• PhasenPhasen Hell WorldRegistered User regular
    This is terrible. I'm not sure what kind of law could prevent this without discussing outright banning of assault style firearms. I know its a drop in the bucket of all gun crimes but the bad outweighs the good.

psn: PhasenWeeple
  • Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Uriel wrote: »
    Jesus christ.

What horrible news to wake up to.

I'm so sick of this happening in this country.

That was exact thought this morning.

• XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Ah fuck =(

Those poor people

• JavenJaven Registered User regular
    We've been spending most of the morning at work checking in with all employees who are off/didn't show up today to make sure they're okay. Not the best way to spend a Sunday

• NarbusNarbus Registered User regular
    NPRs twitterfeed is saying 50 dead, 53 injured. There were around 300 people in the club when the shooting started.

1 in 3 of the people who were there.

• ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    The shooter was born in New York, his parents were from Afghanistan.

Someone got to his father to ask questions, and his father has supposedly said that his son was not radicalized, but was very angry and disgusted when he saw two gay men kiss out in the open when he was in Miami.

• ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    edited June 2016
    Not only is this the deadliest killing in US history, and the third deadliest in the history of guns, it's also the second highest victim count ever. Only the shooting/bombing in Norway had more casualties/victims from a single shooter.

Tox on
    Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Viskod wrote: »

Someone got to his father to ask questions, and his father has supposedly said that his son was not radicalized, but was very angry and disgusted when he saw two gay men kiss out in the open when he was in Miami.

God. The media and politicians will have a field day with this. So easy to totally dodge the gun issue when you can scapegoat the mentally ill and disabled as well as immigrants from primarily Muslim areas.

• SolarSolar Registered User regular
    My heart goes out to the victims and their families/friends

those poor people

• PhasenPhasen Hell WorldRegistered User regular
    Uriel wrote: »
    Viskod wrote: »

God. The media and politicians will have a field day with this. So easy to totally dodge the gun issue when you can scapegoat the mentally ill and disabled as well as immigrants from primarily Muslim areas.

So much hardship will be put on multiple communities due to this. Just pointless.

psn: PhasenWeeple
    edited June 2016
    Leitner wrote: »
    Prohass wrote: »
    Likely his disgust found a rhetoric, there are plenty of ideologies for hate, you just find one that feels right to you

No.

We are not going to use this as another opportunity to excuse the fact that his ideology has a fear and hatred of queer people in a way that the vast majority of other ideologies don't.

Wanted to respond to this, but not in the happy thread. Granted as far as I know Dan Patrick hasn't murdered anyone, but still he's the Lt. Governor of Texas. Here's what he TWEETED this morning in response to this tragedy.

He is quite literally saying everyone that died last night? Well, they had it coming.

Yeah so, maybe don't try to put all the bigotry eggs in one persons basket like they're the fault of all the worlds problems.

Viskod on
  • JavenJaven Registered User regular
    We have no idea what his ideology was, yet.

• TubeTube Registered User admin
    I hope Dan Patrick takes one of his beloved guns and puts it in his goddamn mouth.

• OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Frankly, I just hope that the verse he posted there is true. Because if it is, he's got one hell of a reckoning coming for him.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    For gods sake the Daily Mail (right wing shitty UK newspaper) is already using Islamic Extremist in its headlines.

• OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    Facebook has a thing to do a safety check if you were in the area affected by the shooting

impressive use of a platform/ecosystem I must say

• Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    This is heartbreaking.

Whatever the guy's ideology is/was (is he in custody or still barricaded in the bar?), it makes me sick that people's beliefs can lead them to do something this horrible. I'm not one for praying, all I can do is hope something positive can come out of such a negative, awful act. Condolences to everyone affected by this. I can't even imagine how it would feel.

Mir Seddique, [suspected shooter Omar] Mateen's father told NBC News, "this has nothing to do with religion." Seddique said his son got angry when he saw two men kissing in Miami a couple of months ago and thinks that may be related to the shooting.
    Source

So let's maybe put the racist bullshit on hold for a while, eh.

Shooter is confirmed dead last I heard

• SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    SharpyVII wrote: »
    For gods sake the Daily Mail (right wing shitty UK newspaper) is already using Islamic Extremist in its headlines.

So is Fox news

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    bna9yftuekk6.png

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
    This is heartbreaking.

Whatever the guy's ideology is/was (is he in custody or still barricaded in the bar?), it makes me sick that people's beliefs can lead them to do something this horrible. I'm not one for praying, all I can do is hope something positive can come out of such a negative, awful act. Condolences to everyone affected by this. I can't even imagine how it would feel.

The shooter is dead.

• TubeTube Registered User admin
    @igorvolsky is doing the lord's work on Twitter, retweeting "hopes and prayers" tweets from politicians with how much money they've taken from the gun lobby

• Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    Wish he could have been taken alive, but I'm glad he can't hurt anybody else.

ISLAMIC TERROR

AFGHAN TIES

lo fucking l

"With Afghan ties" being that his parents are from there, and that he was a natural born us citizen, but hey. Let's leave that out, it's more scary that way.

• Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I thought you were talking about Dan Patrick the sportscaster at first.

• ph blakeph blake Registered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    @igorvolsky is doing the lord's work on Twitter, retweeting "hopes and prayers" tweets from politicians with how much money they've taken from the gun lobby

The sad thing is that this is the third or fourth shooting that he's done this for.

Appreciate that he's keeping it up though, calling those assholes out is important.

7h8wnycre6vs.png
    I wish we were honestly

I love Texas, but man will I be happy to leave this dumb state's politics behind in the next few months

I live in a good, liberal state here in Minnesota.

Problem is I live in a small town in Minnesota. If you get outside of the cities this state is conservative as fuck.

• TefTef Registered User regular
    i knew it was anybody but a white dude when the headline wasn't "troubled young man..." Or "horror shooting, motives Unknown"

And now that it's all pretty much

AFGHANISTAN!!!!!

MUSLIM TEROR?!?!

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • ph blakeph blake Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    Don't let anyone tell you that "it was just a scheduled tweet" or "he was talking about the shooter" btw.

Dan Patrick is possibly the most hateful, bigoted asshole in an administration of hateful bigoted assholes, has spent the past month or so obsessing over trans people in bathrooms, and used to be a conservative talk radio shock jock. Dude knew exactly what he was saying and how it would sound, and the fact that the tweet is still up 4.5 hours later, after multiple news articles went up basically calling him a bigot, proves that he's perfectly fine with it.

ph blake on
    7h8wnycre6vs.png
  • Dongs GaloreDongs Galore Registered User regular
    I assumed the Lt. Governor of a state wouldn't be dumb enough to post something like that but I guess I was wrong

jokes on me

• GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    I'm so angry. I'm so angry that this happened. I'm so angry at a lot of how lots of news networks are reporting it.

I even got angry at whoever took that footage they're showing on the news networks that show bunch of people with gunshot wounds limping, being carried to safety. What kind of asshole sits there filming when there are dozens of hurt people and EMS obviously hasn't responded in force. Fucking help, damn it!