As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Shooting in Florida gay club, 50+ casualties currently feared

• Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    Hell of a way to wake up on your first day of vacation, Jesus Christ...

• OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    ph blake wrote: »
    Don't let anyone tell you that "it was just a scheduled tweet" or "he was talking about the shooter" btw.

Dan Patrick is possibly the most hateful, bigoted asshole in an administration of hateful bigoted assholes, has spent the past month or so obsessing over trans people in bathrooms, and used to be a conservative talk radio shock jock. Dude knew exactly what he was saying and how it would sound, and the fact that the tweet is still up 4.5 hours later, after multiple news articles went up basically calling him a bigot, proves that he's perfectly fine with it.

dan patrick can get fucked

• TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    I don't know what to say. I'm bouncing between anger, despair, and near-resignation at this whole situation. I hope everyone's friends, family, loved ones, co-workers and neighbors down in Florida are alive and unharmed.

• Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    I woke up today, with family watching the news in the livingroom.
    Hearing about the casualties and medical workers, I asked if there had been an earthquake.
    I guess I'm still pretty naive.

My only thoughts outside of sympathy for the victims, and for LGBT folk who must now feel even greater threat from society,
    was that straight CIS folk have to do more to engage with each other on loving and empathizing with LGBT folk within our communities.

If you're a white conservative christian, your voice of support is going to move the needle more within your conservative circle, than anyone else,
    same goes down the line with other religious, political, and ethnic communities.

We gotta make the effort to talk with our brothers before tragedies like this happen.
    Fuck, maybe, I'm still being naive.

Obviously, you gotta do something about limiting folk's access to being able to injure or murder 100 people with ease.

VayBJ4e.png
  • DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    My hopes go out to everyone, hoping that their families, friends and loved ones are okay. I hope that this will not happen in the future. That the LGBT community will not suffer another tragedy like this for a long time.

My letters calling for gun control go out to
    my congressman

• Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular
    I am devastated by this. I've never been to this particular club but I go to Orlando often enough where I could have been there. I'm at home shaking and trying to just not break down crying.

2ohWien.png
    Tumblr | Twitter PSN: misterdapper Av by Satellite_09
  • WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    This was not a helpful post

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • PonyPony Registered User regular
    I find it impossible to believe, after Sandy Hook, that this will change anything in the US

If a bunch of dead Kindergartners isn't going to move things on gun control, Republicans aren't going to suddenly open their hearts to queer people, even if this time the shooter was brown.

• BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    SharpyVII wrote: »
    For gods sake the Daily Mail (right wing shitty UK newspaper) is already using Islamic Extremist in its headlines.

what do you expect its a fucking rag run by literal black shirt wearing goose stepping fascists

• CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    Pony wrote: »
    I find it impossible to believe, after Sandy Hook, that this will change anything in the US

If a bunch of dead Kindergartners isn't going to move things on gun control, Republicans aren't going to suddenly open their hearts to queer people, even if this time the shooter was brown.
    Yeah.

The "no way to prevent this" Onion article will only continue to get more depressing.

• Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular
  • ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    the reason why I was hoping it was a white christian was because then there would be only one awful thing to come out of this, instead of two. Now we will not only have the unfathomable death and misery from the event itself, but additional misery and pain as the Right blames this on islamic terror, migrants, etc

And yes this is thinking too far ahead and not focussing on the event itself, but its just how things are now, its all so familiar and horrifying

Im too exhausted to even be angry about gun-nuts and such, the Bataclan attack was just too much for me, I sometimes have panic attacks thinking about it just because the horror was so insane and massive. I just have lost all hope and have immense respect for those that havent.

• DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    They've lifted the ban on gay people donating blood in Florida, because they're critically low on blood. No word as to if someone might actually change that ass-backwards policy nationally

• FuzzytadpoleFuzzytadpole Registered User regular
    I feel numb and angry in such a combination that I didn't think was possible.

• I'm An Elk; Shoot MeI'm An Elk; Shoot Me It's Fiddler Crab Season! Registered User regular

I'll have you know the Senate has already rushed to pass a sweeping defense of the Second Amendment by a vote of 63 thoughts to 37 prayers.

• ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    edited June 2016

Nothing will ever be done until getting rid of access to guns becomes more profitable than increasing it.

Viskod on
  • Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    These events are so overwhelmingly horrible every time they happen.
    And they keep happening. How much despair is too much?

Sadly, I know that nothing will change in the wake of this shooting with regard to gun control. I worry that it will stir up much of the populace and a certain orange pile of shit with ride the reactionary "but muh gunz!" roaring crowds to a victory at the general election.

Nothing will ever be done until there are radical changes to how mental health is treated (and stigmatized) in the states IN TANDEM with better gun control laws

i just cant figure out how a human mind can kill that many people up close, is it a sense of "well I've started so I might as well make it the worst I can do?" because surely you have to immediately regret opening fire, I just cant believe people are that evil. Like I know they are, but it just seems so beyond my comprehension. I had the same thought with the bataclan massacre. You arent detonating a bomb, its an ongoing bloody awful thing with sounds and sights that I just dont think human empathy can shut out without an enormous amount of willpower to be as awful as possible

• VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    Actual legitimate hatred is a powerful, horrible, mysterious thing.

• Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    We've already heard a description of the disgust this person felt at a same sex couple.
    Probably the same disgust that fueled his continuation of a murder spree.

VayBJ4e.png
  • JarsJars Registered User regular
    must be a day ending in Y

• TubeTube Registered User admin
    Beasteh wrote: »
    Nothing will ever be done until there are radical changes to how mental health is treated (and stigmatized) in the states IN TANDEM with better gun control laws

Until we know more about the mental health of the shooter we can't really say that. Almost zero countries have a great mental health policy and this only happens in the states. I feel like the constant association of "shooter" with "mental health problems" probably isn't helping much.

• SassoriSassori Registered User regular
    After seeing so many people cheering and smiling yesterday, after seeing so many religious groups with signs that said "We love you" and seeing people coming together in celebration...

Damn.

• ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    Tube wrote: »

Until we know more about the mental health of the shooter we can't really say that. Almost zero countries have a great mental health policy and this only happens in the states. I feel like the constant association of "shooter" with "mental health problems" probably isn't helping much.

Some people say that anyone who could kill a bunch of strangers must inherently have some mental health problem, but honestly I think they're just afraid of thinking that a fully sane person would be capable of doing something like that.

it absolutely isn't helping. "mental health" is an escape hatch that gets used by people who absolutely don't give a shit about mental health issues except when it can be used to deflect criticism away from gun laws

mental health care is absolutely an issue that needs to be addressed in america, but probably a very important first step would be to bring it up when we aren't trying to figure out why a mass shooting has happened, because that likely hurts more than it helps

• StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular

Thanks Tube

I was trying to say something similar, but I think you nailed it there

edited June 2016
    In most countries its the mentally ill who are most likely to be the victim of violence, or a police shooting.

I just dont know how people can do this. Like I always assume they are brainwashed by hate, but its something else. Its some horrible mix of a bunch of insecurities and hatreds and a desire to be central to some sort of grand narrative, I just dont know how they get past the actual reality of it, because it isnt like detonating a bomb or following orders or something, its all on you, you have to keep going through the long process of murder over and over for an extended period of time, suppressing every empathetic impulse

it just upsets me so much that no matter what we do, there will always be people that have this ability

Prohass on

Except there's nothing in this instance that suggests it's a mental health issue?

Like yes, it's very easy to say "but anyone who would murder 50 people clearly has fucking problems" and yeah, okay? But unless it's like Virginia Tech, where the person had a bunch of pre-existing visible mental health issues and was obviously failed by the system, how do you screen for that?

Homophobia isn't a pathology. We can't medicalize the treatment of hate. There was no mental health preventions that could've flagged and prevented Dylan Roof from murdering a bunch of black people. His only signifiers prior to that was he was maybe a white youth with drug problems and depression? That doesn't prevent gun crime.

The "mental health" excuse is a right wing dog whistle. You might not mean it to be, but it is. The US does not have a significantly worse mental healthcare system than Canada and yet somehow, shit like this doesn't happen here with near the same frequency.

• FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Yeah, many people in power say mental health so they don't have to talk about guns. Or mental health.

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    One of the most annoying things about the pro-murder spree side of the gun control argument is that anytime someone brings up gun control methodology that has been successfully implemented in another country, the response is "that wouldn't work here because we're different".
    Yeah America's different, you guys keep getting slaughtered by gun-weilding arseholes on a regular basis!
    If only proven effective measures would be tried in the USA before being dismissed out of hand because "mah gunz! Ah needs mah gunz!"

edited June 2016
    I meant in general not specifically regarding this shooting but sure now probably wasn't the best time to bring it up

and for gods sake im not creating a fucking boogy monster called The Mentally Ill(tm) here

Beasteh on
  • ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User regular
    It might also be nice to avoid talking about The Mentally Ill(tm) as some kind of mysterious, threatening monolith. Just saying.

• Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    Nobody is pro murder spree except actual murderers. Cmon man.

I meant in general not specifically regarding this shooting but sure now probably wasn't the best time to bring it up

Yeah it isn't, considering its literally the Right's favourite way to not talk about gun control

• I'm An Elk; Shoot MeI'm An Elk; Shoot Me It's Fiddler Crab Season! Registered User regular
    I think the reason a lot of people, especially pro-gun people, deflect to the "mental health" argument is because the idea that a person is just crazy/imbalanced feels so much less like anything that's anyone's responsibiity or fault of non-action than th
    Oghulk wrote: »
    ph blake wrote: »
    Don't let anyone tell you that "it was just a scheduled tweet" or "he was talking about the shooter" btw.

Dan Patrick is possibly the most hateful, bigoted asshole in an administration of hateful bigoted assholes, has spent the past month or so obsessing over trans people in bathrooms, and used to be a conservative talk radio shock jock. Dude knew exactly what he was saying and how it would sound, and the fact that the tweet is still up 4.5 hours later, after multiple news articles went up basically calling him a bigot, proves that he's perfectly fine with it.

dan patrick can get fucked

• CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    Zibblsnrt wrote: »
    It might also be nice to avoid talking about The Mentally Ill(tm) as some kind of mysterious, threatening monolith. Just saying.

And to stop classifying every mass murderer as automatically mentally ill.

Couscous on
    Nobody is pro murder spree except actual murderers. Cmon man.

I have my doubts about Wayne LaPierre.

and for gods sake im not creating a fucking boogy monster called The Mentally Ill(tm) here

I don't think anyone was implying that you were. I certainly wasn't. It's just worth noting why it gets brought up so many times when something like this happens

• KnobKnob TURN THE BEAT BACK InternetModerator mod
    So far every television news report I've encountered is calling it a 'nightclub shooting', making absolutely no mention of the fact it was a gay club, and speculating a ton about how Muslim the shooter probably is while not speculating at all about whether this was a homophobic hate crime