As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[WARMACHINE & HORDES] 1+1=Cyriss is calculating... calculating... seven! And you're dead.

• PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    Merc Insider's up.

All Durgen wants to do is set the world on fiiiiiiiiiiiire...

From the thread:
    The rules regarding Rhulic warcasters and warjacks are actually in Prime and Primal now. It works how you would expect, Rhulic warcasters can only take Rhulic warjacks, and Rhulic warjacks can only be controlled by Rhulic models.

The same idea is true for Cephalyx and their Monstrosities, Farrow locks / beasts, and Gator locks / beasts.
    Tune Up was significantly toned given that Power Up is a thing these days. It now reads: Tune Up [Rhulic warjack] (★Action) - RNG B2B. Target friendly Rhulic warjack. If the warjack is in range, all attack and damage rolls resulting from its next basic attack this turn are boosted.

Thor got much better at repairing though ... well so did everyone given that Repair checks are gone and you just automatically do so if you're in range. His Repair is now d3+3, which is one of the best Repair scores in the game.

Re: Renegades,
    They are. Renegades are still the light warjack that makes all non-Magnus casters jealous. It remains basically the same as you remember it, though its Shredder is now melee RNG 1, and it only costs 10 points.

Gunners and Blasters retain their Powerful Attack rule.
    Ashlynn is virtually unchanged, she is well realized in her design and operates exactly how we want her to on the table. Her melee weapon did go up to RNG 1 though ... Flashing Blade for days!

In regards to Shae:
    Coup de Main is slightly different. Better really, but it only affects Privateers.

It reads: The spellcaster and friendly Privateer models activating in its control range gain +2˝ movement when advancing as part of their Normal Movement. Affected warjacks can charge without spending a focus point. Coup de Main lasts for one turn.

The majestic Buccaneer is a mighty 6 points.

In regards to A&H:
    They are roughly the same as you remember. For example they can still give weapons Damage Type: Magical to a friendly model/unit, but their "Harm" ability was toned to only affect Faction models.

Kiss of Lyliss (★Attack) - Kiss of Lyliss is a RNG 10 magic attack. When a friendly Faction model makes a damage roll against a model/unit hit by Kiss of Lyliss, add +2 to the roll. Kiss of Lyliss lasts for one turn.

In regards to a lot of things:

Ogrun Assault Core:
    1.) Well, like most medium based infantry they went down to five damage boxes instead of eight. They still retained CRA and CMA and got cheaper, only costing 16 points for a max unit. Feel like I'm missing something important here .... oh yeah they picked up Assault, Tough, and RNG 1 on their axes. They're delightful.

Avalancher:
    2.) Is Quake on the cannon a good thing? How about Shield Guard?

Forge Guard
    3.) Yup, they still hit hard.
    Gorten Ballerback, in regards to whether he got bumped up to a FOC 6 caster:
    4.) He is not. I checked his warcaster card though, according to his rules he is "Still Baller". Tougher too.
    Ok last one before I run off to some meetings / eat some lunch.

Magnus 1 saw a variety of change. I won't mention them all here but some things I really like is that he picked up Scourge (amazing with his arc nodes, as any Deneghra player knows) and he also has Repair d3+1 now. Makes sense that the guy who custom builds warjacks would know how to fix them.

Magnus 2? Well I've got three words for you. Field Marshal [Unyielding]. It's brutal.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    I kinda like the new Connie. Repudiate and the undead hate aura intrigue me.

• DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    Wroughthammer

So, it looks like Assault is just a regular skill now, because it's missing from the back of the Wroughthammer card, but there's a fancy new symbol on the front that looks like it's the right symbol for Assault.

It looks like the Wroughthammer also lost Critical Catastrophic Damage and gained a push effect instead, and it also cannot be pushed itself. I'm curious how many of the other warjacks got sturdy. Wasn't there something before that talked about how you can't charge your own models anymore? Otherwise I'd suspect it might be there to mitigate the Basher launching your own jacks into the enemy.

Durgen

Nooooooo!
    They took away his Blast Armor!
    And they took away Inhospitable Ground and Explosivo!?
    Why does a feat called "Bombs Away" give everyone gunfighter now?!
    What is even happening anymore?!

Losing Explosivo hurts, because it's really good for dealing with incorporeal entities.

• ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    Most of these Rhul changes are fucking baller as hell

except....I literally just sold my entire Rhul army last week

• admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Dedwrekka wrote: »
    Wroughthammer

So, it looks like Assault is just a regular skill now, because it's missing from the back of the Wroughthammer card, but there's a fancy new symbol on the front that looks like it's the right symbol for Assault.

Yeah. They spoiled that in one of the first Mk3 Insiders when they showed the Trencher card.

edited May 2016
    In regards to Merc theme forces:
    There have been a lot of questions in this thread concerning cross Faction models that were previously allowed by some theme forces in Mk II. As we have stated previously, we tried to accommodate these options where possible. However, we removed these option in instances in which they proved unbalancing, redundant, limited design space, or simply did not make sense going forward.

The two largest open questions remaining in this regard seem to be the Highborn Covenant and Magnus' Bad Seeds theme force. The Highborn Covenant is evolving into the Llaelese Resistance theme force that will allow players to include up to one non-character Cygnaran or Protectorate unit in their Resistance armies. That unit will be considered to be a friendly Mercenary unit instead of a Cygnar or Protectorate unit and can include attachments.

The concept of the Bad Seeds theme force has also gone through some changes in the new edition. We no longer are producing theme forces for only one warcaster. Instead they have been opened up for use by a range of warcasters. In this case, Magnus' theme force has become the The Kingmaker's Army, which is a reflection of Magnus' ongoing storyline as his plots and reach some degree of fruition in Doug Seacat's Blood of Kings novel. The Kingmaker's Army is open to those warcasters who work most closely with Magnus along with the outlaws in his employ. It also allows players playing a Kingmaker's Army to include Cygnar Long Gunner, Ranger, and Trencher Infantry units. These units are considered to be friendly Mercenary units when included in the army instead of being Cygnar units and can include attachments. With Mercenary (and Cygnaran) forces continuing to evolve in the future it simply did not make sense to leave Bad Seeds with all of its open ended options... And the inclusion of additional warcasters made balance all the more difficult.

The additional warcasters for Kingmaker being both Magnuses, Captain Bart, Damiano, and MACBAIN!

Although they do say to wait on the final version of the Llael theme force before making any big-ticket purchases since it's still being play tested and so might be tweaked if something is OP.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    Ouch, Reinholdt is now a warcaster attachment. Unless the squire got a major nerf I have a hard time seeing him get play in Cygnar.

edited May 2016
    I bet Sloan would like him, due to his ability to strip Stealth off a model that he can LOS. Maybe the Caine's too?
    Spyglass (★Action) - Target an enemy model in this model’s LOS. That model loses Stealth for one round.

BOOM HEADSHOT.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    Sloan has True Sight, so...

Caine2 also still has True Sight, as far as we know.

• TheBigEasyTheBigEasy Registered User regular
    PMAvers wrote: »
    I bet Sloan would like him, due to his ability to strip Stealth off a model that he can LOS. Maybe the Caine's too?
    Spyglass (★Action) - Target an enemy model in this model’s LOS. That model loses Stealth for one round.

BOOM HEADSHOT.

Sloan has True Sight and Field Marshal (True Sight) - so that particular ability won't get much use with her. So now its a question of - do we want 1 more Focus through the Squire, or 1 more shot with Reinholdt (provided he still has that ability).

edited May 2016
    Oh, right, right. derp.

Unrelated to derpage, the Jack Marshal overview's up.

And apparently some people got the new NQ already and so there's spoilers floating around the internet about the new warcasters/warlocks.

EDIT: In case the server explodes, tl;dr version:
    Jack Marshals are limited to a single warjack at a time now.
    Once per turn, if the warjack is in it's marshal's control range you can give it one of these benefits.

•Crush! – The warjack can make one additional melee attack during its activation this turn. Additionally, it gains +2 on all melee damage rolls during its activation this turn.

•Hurry! – The warjack can run, charge, or make a power attack without spending focus during its activation this turn. Additionally, it gains +2 on charge attack rolls and slam attack rolls during its activation this turn.

•Strike True! – The warjack gains +2 on all attack rolls during its activation this turn.

•Take Aim! – The warjack must forfeit its Normal Movement to aim during its activation this turn. Additionally, it gains +2 on all ranged damage rolls during its activation this turn.

In regards to journeymans (and basically anything that can have a mini-battlegroup), if you run one you *have* to have it take a warjack/warbeast as well. No more Juniors running around without a warjack.

Drives are still around, and are passive effects that are on while the jack is in the controlling marshal's command range.
    Shaw has Drive: Shield Guard, Dual Attack, Iron Sentinel, and when paired with Tayrn gets Dodge. Oh and he's now a Weapon Master all for 4 points. Dude's a boss!
    The Man-o-War Kovnik has Drive: Assault and Desperate Pace [Man-o-War] Along with the ability to Slam Power Attack and Assault himself he's totally worth 5 points.
    The Bastion Seneschal is pretty amazing now thanks to his new Drive Drive: Blessings of Iron - While in this model’s command range, a warjack under its control cannot be targeted by enemy spells and does not suffer the effects of crippled systems.
    Raluk is pretty awesome with his Drive Assault coupled with the new Marshal options. Plus his Repair [d6] can be used on any friendly construct rather than only Friendly Faction constructs thanks to his Mechanikally Adept ability. At just 4 points he's a total steal.
    Yes the Gun Mage Officer kept his ability to have the jack under his control shoot rune bullets with Drive: Runeshot

In regards to the Dawnguard Scyir:
    Where such interactions were unintended we corrected them. For example with the Scyir we completely swapped out his Drive. Now he has Drive: Righteous Vengeance - If one or more friendly Faction warrior models were destroyed or removed from play by enemy attacks while within 5˝ of this model during the last round, during your Maintenance Phase this model can advance up to 3˝ and make one basic melee attack. As well as having Righteous Vengeance himself which pairs great with Iron Sentinel.
    Also:
    He no longer has Flank. Instead he's just a straight Weapon Master.
    Also:
    Invictors and Sentinels both lost Jack Marshal.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
  • kaortikaorti Registered User regular
    Can someone talk to me about Maddox? I see a lot of people talking about how good she looks, but it isn't coming together for me. All I see is a card full of upkeeps, middling personal threat, and no special tricks. What am I missing?

I want to be excited about her.

I get the impression that her playstyle is to throw Dauntless Resolve on a meat shield unit, and then pre-cast upkeeps to set up the feat turn when she charges in. Rotating Assail as necessary.

But yeah, juggling (up to) 4 upkeeps sounds ugly.

edited May 2016
    Dear god, that new Circle caster sounds like it's going to be hot steaming bullshit. Especially when coupled with the new Argus.

I mean, who thought it'd be a good idea to have a good idea to have a warbeast that can put up a 2" aura around itself that reduces all enemies DEF to 5? And then have a gun on the warlock that puts a AOE 4 on a target hit and slaps them all with Shadow Bind?

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    It looks like they're building Circle's ranged game up pretty hard.

kaorti wrote: »
    Can someone talk to me about Maddox? I see a lot of people talking about how good she looks, but it isn't coming together for me. All I see is a card full of upkeeps, middling personal threat, and no special tricks. What am I missing?

I want to be excited about her.

Thats about it about her. No special tricks, pretty straight forward. Its a battle box caster after all. So I doubt they wanted to make them too complex. She'll hit very hard on feat turn. I'll definitely try her out for a while.

• NealnealNealneal Registered User regular
    Seems to me that all of the battle box casters are their entire faction put in a blender and plopped out into a middle of the road caster who introduces the themes and concepts of that faction. I'm pretty happy with all of them.

• CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    As long as they're better than Kaya

Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
    edited May 2016
    Man, that was a long gap between faction Insiders. We totally didn't miss anyone important.

Anyway, the most important one is up now, the Minion Overview.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
  • tzeentchlingtzeentchling Doctor of Rocks OaklandRegistered User regular
    Oh hey look the Menoth insider also went up.

@PMAvers burn, heretic!

• Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    So I can play gators... but with like Slaughterhousers and Brigands to complement my Gatormen Posses and awesome Warlocks and Beasts...

It's going to be reaaal hard to hold out until that 5th Hordes Faction without buying some models now.

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
    I'm mostly curious about the new units.

Like the rumored new one that Helga apparently has Veteran Leader for.

persona4celestia.jpg
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    I've always planned to get a unit of Gatormen to run with my Skorne. Problem there is that then I'll own a Minion unit, and it can only escalate from there. :rotate:

• HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    Still nothing on Khador? =(

• NealnealNealneal Registered User regular
    Khador, Circle, and Cygnar are still awaiting their Insiders. I expect that Circle will be Wednesday and then Khador on Monday, with Cygnar pulling up the rear on next Wednesday. In the meantime we'll have a couple Insiders about the process of slicing models for molding or a storyline tease in which nothing is actually said.

• italianranmaitalianranma Registered User regular
    Couple of questions; are all minis now plastic? I think I bought some of the original run when the slogan was "full metal fantasy." Can I get a digital subscription to No Quarter? There website didn't specify if it was a digital or hard copy, and I just don't have shelf space for more magazines.

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
    Couple of questions; are all minis now plastic? I think I bought some of the original run when the slogan was "full metal fantasy." Can I get a digital subscription to No Quarter? There website didn't specify if it was a digital or hard copy, and I just don't have shelf space for more magazines.

Most minis are still metal. Some are plastic. Some are resin. Some are plastic/resin hybrid.

You can get a digital subscription, but I think it's only readable on a mobile app.

I heard a rumor that electrical immunity prevents lightning from leaping to you by default now. If it's true lightning is a lot less of a headache to use now.

• 3lwap03lwap0 Registered User regular
    kaorti wrote: »
    I heard a rumor that electrical immunity prevents lightning from leaping to you by default now. If it's true lightning is a lot less of a headache to use now.

If the leaked document floating about the Internet is true, then this is confirmed. That's a nice bump for Cygnar honestly - Nemo3 made that pretty awesome as a perk in Mk 2. Having it just be a thing everywhere is great for that faction.

Hilariously it's a bump back to the exact same rule that existed in Mk1.

War Room 2's apparently up on the respective app stores, although when you open it, it tells you to come back on the 12'th to actually download the cards.

persona4celestia.jpg
    I'm really excited for this. X-Wing minis has gotten me back into the wargaming scene and I'm ready to commit some time to painting up some little mans. I didn't realize that Warmachine continually updates its lore. Is there a good place that summarizes everything?

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
    War Room 2's apparently up on the respective app stores, although when you open it, it tells you to come back on the 12'th to actually download the cards.

Tinkerhouse said, the card data is already on the phone now - just that you unlock it on the 12th, hopefully avvoiding having thousands of players trying to download that stuff simultaneously.

TheBigEasy wrote: »

Tinkerhouse said, the card data is already on the phone now - just that you unlock it on the 12th, hopefully avvoiding having thousands of players trying to download that stuff simultaneously.

Do you have a source for that? The impression I've gotten is that it already has the card images, but the data will need to be downloaded.

Which is drastically less that needs to be downloaded, but could still slam some servers pretty hard.

The PDF rules are out, and War Room 2 cards are available for purchase. I'm utterly lost on how to make an army. I've got a random assortment of Protectorate and Cygnar models from the Mk 1 first wave, and I've got a wad of cash earmarked for purchasing some new models. Thematically I like the Paladins of the Order of the Wall, and I see that Anson Durst is one of those guys. Can I get a few suggestions on how to build a nice beginner army?

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
    edited June 2016
    Apparently the Mercenary Minion cards (like Alten Ashley and the Nyss Hunters ) are randomly split up between the Merc and Minion decks.

So if you buy the Merc deck, you have access to the Nyss Hunters, but not Lanyssa and vice versa with the Minions deck.

Nobody on
  • 3lwap03lwap0 Registered User regular
    The PDF rules are out, and War Room 2 cards are available for purchase. I'm utterly lost on how to make an army. I've got a random assortment of Protectorate and Cygnar models from the Mk 1 first wave, and I've got a wad of cash earmarked for purchasing some new models. Thematically I like the Paladins of the Order of the Wall, and I see that Anson Durst is one of those guys. Can I get a few suggestions on how to build a nice beginner army?

I wish I could help you. I've been playing a few years, and i'm totally lost. :( They've really changed everything around on us.

Best I can suggest: Pick a core part of an army. Your warcaster/battlegroup, then build off of it, and have a goal in mind, like armor cracking, or mobility, or winning scenarios, or all 3. Not very helpful, but best I got.

I'm still working through a total read of the rules; why would I want to Slam? It seems like most Warjacks would benefit more from attacking with their weapon during a charge. If I Slam, that's all I do with that jack for the round correct?

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Slam spam was definitely a thing for Skorne Titans though. We'll see how that works in Mk3.

• NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    I'm still working through a total read of the rules; why would I want to Slam? It seems like most Warjacks would benefit more from attacking with their weapon during a charge. If I Slam, that's all I do with that jack for the round correct?

Slamming over a model knocks them down. Many many warcasters have learned the hard way that hiding behind the robot is a death sentance.

That and when playing tournaments being able to remove models from specific areas is game winning.