As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Grand Unified Thread for [Game of Thrones] (Book spoiler guidelines in OP)

• DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Smrtnik wrote: »
    Variable wrote: »
    yeah there are ways to read the scenes to make it all add up better but these things aren't explicitly in the show

(pre edit - nothing here that hasn't been said tbh)
    no mention at expecting an attack but being surprised by it. and even at the very end with the blood trail... there's been too much shock, injury, and healing time to believe this was all premeditated. she drank the milk of the poppy! like even looking back that's kind of insane. the waif is gonna want your face. luckily it took her just long enough to find the place.

I am not into the big switcheroo possiblity but I guess if we're saying it's just the very last scene, that's not really arya, I can't exactly argue against it. just seems unlikely after what came before (an almost dead arya brilliantly manipulates her would be killer back to her lair and takes an advantage thus killing the waif).

Everyone knows that if you are in your own lair you get to take a lair action every round, this bumping up your CR by about 30%.

Pft, you have to be like a dragon for that sort of thing.

Arya secret Targaryen confirmed.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
    New pictures with funny subtitles

Including the most important part of the Arya plotline:
    w23f4ee.jpg

Trenchant narrative commentary:
    J9rfH1E.jpg
    0Cwk6rb.jpg

Also, Lannisters are on the cutting edge of weapons technology:
    ZOpm5yy.jpg

• MelksterMelkster Registered User regular
    Riverrun questions
    I was surprised to see Brienne and Pod slipping away in a boat.

Is Jaime not going to allow the Riverrun garrison to go north to be with Sansa? And wouldn't Brienne want to be with those troops? And of course, send another raven to the North to Sansa saying that they're on their way?

Melkster wrote: »
    Riverrun questions

Is Jaime not going to allow the Riverrun garrison to go north to be with Sansa? And wouldn't Brienne want to be with those troops? And of course, send another raven to the North to Sansa saying that they're on their way?
    They refused that deal. Which wasn't really a great deal for anyone but the Black Fish. All the peasants (i.e. the actual army) would be relocated half a continent away from home doing that.

Still don't get why Brienne and Pod had to run like they did as Jamie's unlikely to say anything but "Release them."

• MadpoetMadpoet Registered User regular
    Joshmvii wrote: »
    Yeah, there's no way that theory is right.
    This theory is about as zany as Bolt-On or HS = HR to be honest.

Arya is a fan favorite in the TV show.
    Not sure if serious.
    Did you just say a character is safe because they are a fan favorite? Among others, Ned Stark, Hodor, and Ros' glorious breasts would like to have a word with you.

• Smaug6Smaug6 Registered User regular
    North remebers prediction
    Manderly is actually at the Frey feast with them celebrating the taking of Riverrun, gives famous speech, let's them know they've been eating their kin in the wedding pies, all hell breaks loose with armed Manderly men attacking the Freys feasting. This answers the question why the Manderlys haven't been in the north and haven't responded to jon and Sansas request for aid. They are too busy feeding the Freys their kin.

steam_sig.png
  • MonstyMonsty Registered User regular
    Podly wrote: »
    also, just watched the 6x09 trailer

not really pumped
    I agree, but only because (show speculation)
    We're totally going to see Wun Wun die, aren't we? And... oh God, please don't take my Tormund. Dear, sweet Tormund.

• Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Madpoet wrote: »

Not sure if serious.
    Did you just say a character is safe because they are a fan favorite? Among others, Ned Stark, Hodor, and Ros' glorious breasts would like to have a word with you.
    Ned Stark was played by Sean Bean, he's lucky he survived as long as he did.

• MelksterMelkster Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    Riverrun questions

They refused that deal. Which wasn't really a great deal for anyone but the Black Fish. All the peasants (i.e. the actual army) would be relocated half a continent away from home doing that.

Still don't get why Brienne and Pod had to run like they did as Jamie's unlikely to say anything but "Release them."

Riverrun
    Blackfish refused it, but what about Edmure? Or just appealing to the garrison directly?

It occurs to me that I don't really know who the garrison is exactly. Could be bannermen, or maybe just Riverrun's standard garrison. If the latter, they don't really have anywhere else to go.

Why not go to their lord's niece? Besides, where else WOULD they go?

P.S., confused on spoiler rules. Do we really have to spoiler this week's content? :/ Do people who aren't caught up browse this thread? The rules in the OP suggest that spoilers are only needed for book-only content that hasn't happened in the show.

Melkster on
  • Joe DizzyJoe Dizzy taking the day offRegistered User regular
    My bet is on the following characters biting it next episode, sorted by probability
    Davos
    Tormund
    Sansa
    Brienne
    Some of Ramsay's lackeys
    Littlefinger

• jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Madpoet wrote: »

Not sure if serious.
    Ned Stark was played by Sean Bean, he's lucky he survived as long as he did.
    Quite surprised he didn't kick a rock up in the first episode while doing the execution and offing himself.

• BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    New pictures with funny subtitles

Including the most important part of the Arya plotline:
    w23f4ee.jpg

Trenchant narrative commentary:
    J9rfH1E.jpg
    0Cwk6rb.jpg

Also, Lannisters are on the cutting edge of weapons technology:
    ZOpm5yy.jpg
    How could you not include
    6zWBxMYl.jpg

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
    edited June 2016
    I actually thought the second part of that one was better and didn't want to include too many of the two part ones.
    Riverrun questions

Riverrun
    Blackfish refused it, but what about Edmure? Or just appealing to the garrison directly?

It occurs to me that I don't really know who the garrison is exactly. Could be bannermen, or maybe just Riverrun's standard garrison. If the latter, they don't really have anywhere else to go.

Book Stuff:
    Like Winterfell might have had a dozen permanent guards. They just don't need that many typically. The rest are local farmers who were pressed into service when their lord called. That's what "calling the banners" means.

Edit: ...and what guards Winterfell had would have been hired from the local population anyways. Still asking them to relocate like thousands of miles away from everybody they've ever known.

EditEdit: Hmm, I think my memory might be a bit off because Ned took most of the guard down South with him (and conservation of narrative detail.) Hmm, I say.

DevoutlyApathetic on
  • AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    Wow. The Blackfish is a dipshit.

So many dipshits on this show.

Also, Jaime puts another notch on the bad side of his "am I a good guy or not?" scoreboard.

Atomika wrote: »
    Also, Jaime puts another notch on the bad side of his "am I a good guy or not?" scoreboard.

His speech made him a dick but....he took the castle and instead of hundreds or thousands of people dying we only had one death, and that was suicide.

Good guy or not isn't that clear cut in this situation I think.

this is the title of Jaime's biography

• Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2016

His speech made him a dick but....he took the castle and instead of hundreds or thousands of people dying we only had one death, and that was suicide.

Yeah, like...what he said was awful, if that's really how he feels and really what he would do.

But as of right now, the actual result of talking like that is that a whole bunch of people are alive who would otherwise have ended up dead, on both sides.

People are generally more (or less) than what they say they are. Rarely are they exactly what they say they are. And the Kingslayer understands that better than most, I'm sure.

Houk the Namebringer on
  • ThirithThirith Registered User regular

this is the title of Jaime's biography
    Nah, that's The Things I Do for Love. Or is that his album of romantic duets with Meat Loaf?

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
    Jamie, book influenced:
    Jamie is coming to understand that despite his intentions he can't be Ned Stark. He can propose an honorable and fair solution to people that really is in the best interests for everyone and folks who would normally be amiable to it will stop and think "He's the Kingslayer..."

Jamie is also coming to understand that being the Kingslayer means he can make outlandish and horrific threats and folks who would normally see through it will stop and think "He's the Kingslayer..."

So the repentant knight is trapped by his duty to be the asshole everyone thinks he is because it's the only way he can do his duty and honor demands he do it.

• JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    Show Jaime is miles away from book Jaime to the point where it's not even worth wishing the TV version was as nuanced. At least they had him go with the peaceful option at Riverrun in the end. The fact that he's still durr I love Cersei in the show is obviously because the showrunners want the audience to be all sad when he ends up killing her like it's a tragic romance.

• SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    Did he kill her in the books?

steam_sig.png
    Hasn't happened in either the show or the books yet. It's just a commonly accepted theory that she is mistaken about Tyrion being the younger sibling who will kill her from prophecy, and that it's actually Jaime(who was born after her). If it happens in the books, it'll be a parallel to how he had to kill the mad king, and he's had a great and nuanced development that's allowed him to get over her romantically. In the show, they're going to play it up like it's the hardest thing in the world for him because he still loves her.

The show is telegraphing it big time though. I mean last episode he almost directly said that Cersei will burn cities to ash for her kids. Meanwhile, Qyburn is telling Cersei that it's not just rumors about the wildfire in the city.

• MuffinatronMuffinatron Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    Smrtnik wrote: »
    Did he kill her in the books?
    No. Or at least not yet.

It's all just speculation at this point.

Muffinatron on
    PSN: Holy-Promethium
    Every time Jaime talks about how much he loves the tornado of stupid-selfish-crazy that is Cersei he loses points

• Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Jamie, book influenced:
    Jamie is coming to understand that despite his intentions he can't be Ned Stark.
    Yeah, then he'd be dead.

• Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    Jamie, book influenced:
    Jamie is coming to understand that despite his intentions he can't be Ned Stark. He can propose an honorable and fair solution to people that really is in the best interests for everyone and folks who would normally be amiable to it will stop and think "He's the Kingslayer..."

Jamie is also coming to understand that being the Kingslayer means he can make outlandish and horrific threats and folks who would normally see through it will stop and think "He's the Kingslayer..."

So the repentant knight is trapped by his duty to be the asshole everyone thinks he is because it's the only way he can do his duty and honor demands he do it.

Jaime and Brienne
    The fact that Brienne is one of the only people who doesn't think he's an asshole and trusts him is a big part of why Brienne's friendship means so much to Jaime.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • physi_marcphysi_marc Positron Tracker In a nutshellRegistered User regular
    edited June 2016
    Hasn't happened in either the show or the books yet. It's just a commonly accepted theory that she is mistaken about Tyrion being the younger sibling who will kill her from prophecy, and that it's actually Jaime(who was born after her). If it happens in the books, it'll be a parallel to how he had to kill the mad king, and he's had a great and nuanced development that's allowed him to get over her romantically. In the show, they're going to play it up like it's the hardest thing in the world for him because he still loves her.

The show is telegraphing it big time though. I mean last episode he almost directly said that Cersei will burn cities to ash for her kids. Meanwhile, Qyburn is telling Cersei that it's not just rumors about the wildfire in the city.

Just to be clear, they cut out that part of the prophecy on the show, so this is book-only (I mean, the prophecy part about the valonqar is book only; who knows if any of that will actually happen in the books or the show).

physi_marc on
    3DS Friend Code: 3952-7043-7606
    Switch Friend Code: 3102-5341-0358
    Nintendo Network ID: PhysiMarc
    Yeah, I was talking about both mediums. The prophecy hasn't been shown on the show, but it's not important, because in the show he's going to kill her because she either just did or is just about to set king's landing on fire. She probably tries to torch the sept and accidentally kills Tommen.

• Romantic UndeadRomantic Undead Registered User regular
    Ok, crazy prediction regarding Jamie(show... maybe books?)
    As many have speculated, supported by both rumors and the show, Cersei is about to set King's Landing on fire. Jamie returns just in time to witness Cersei burning down the sept, accidentally killing Tommen, and Cersei absolutely losing it as a result, babbling about how she just wants to "burn them all". Flashing back to the Mad King, Jamie plunges his sword into his sister, stopping her, then pulls his sword out of her body... finding it magically permanently aflame... fulfilling the prophecy of Azor Ahai

3DS FC: 1547-5210-6531
  • Inkstain82Inkstain82 Registered User regular
    re: Jaime
    I don't think they're setting us up for him to feel bad about having to kill his sister. I think they're setting it up for it to be his moment where he realizes he's a terrible person and kills himself right after her. That was what that whole scene with Edmure was about: People need to believe they are decent, and Jaime's reasoning is that he loves his sister and that's his purpose. And he's about to realize what a complete monster his sister actually is.

• wazillawazilla Having a late dinner Registered User regular
    Most Recent Ep Spoiler
    I wanted Tyrion, Grey Worm, and Missandei to continue getting drunk together for hours. Also really dug the "Most Famous Dwarf in the World" line. Tyrion hasn't had many moments this season, so I'm glad they gave him a little something to work with

Speculation about Jaime
    Having never read the books, I can't imagine Jaime killing Cersei under any circumstance, even if she is indirectly/directly responsible for Tommen's death. Over and over again it is shown to be the only thing he really cares about, and it's never really been sold to me that he cares that much about his kids. It always comes back to Cersei.

I think an interesting reversal of what is apparently in the books as a prophecy is if the Faith Militant have finally had enough of Cersei's shit and off her, or she gets herself killed trying to execute some plot against them. Jaime comes back to see this, flips his shit, and burns the city himself... kind of bringing his character full circle, and fully breaking him. Forever putting him beyond redemption. Bonus points if he has a chance to rescue Tommen and doesn't because of what he allowed happen to Cersei, reaffirming his Cersei uber Alles view, and making him double Kingslayer.

Psn:wazukki
  • shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Riverrun questions

Riverrun

P.S., confused on spoiler rules. Do we really have to spoiler this week's content? :/ Do people who aren't caught up browse this thread? The rules in the OP suggest that spoilers are only needed for book-only content that hasn't happened in the show.

It's a book thread too. So yes, you spoiler show stuff too.

• LibrarianLibrarian The face of liberal fascism Registered User regular
    Jaime
    I always found it weird how indifferent he was about their kids. Apart from the scene with Myrcella on the ship from Dorne, which wasn't in the books, I don't think there is any indication that he gives a shit about them.

• Vic_HazardVic_Hazard Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    I actually thought the second part of that one was better and didn't want to include too many of the two part ones.
    Riverrun questions

Riverrun

Book Stuff:
    Like Winterfell might have had a dozen permanent guards. They just don't need that many typically. The rest are local farmers who were pressed into service when their lord called. That's what "calling the banners" means.

Edit: ...and what guards Winterfell had would have been hired from the local population anyways. Still asking them to relocate like thousands of miles away from everybody they've ever known.

EditEdit: Hmm, I think my memory might be a bit off because Ned took most of the guard down South with him (and conservation of narrative detail.) Hmm, I say.
    The bulk of untrained, poorly equipped poor people aren't really what you're after when you call your banners for war though. Auxiliary meatgrinder units like that perform (understandably) very poorly*. The main strength of your army will be the trained men at arms/knights/riders that every vassal is obligated to maintain.

And while there's certainly tons of stableboys that have no idea of how to fight in formation and can't afford armor, there could also be tons of "farmers" who are wealthy enough to be heavily equipped as well as well trained. Medieval times are complicated.

Edit to clarify my point: It's not that simple. We have no idea who might be guarding Riverrun at this point, but if the Blackfish had a choice he's not picking some village idiots, he's picking a professional house guard that's very much loyal to the house and would do what they're told.

*Nonetheless you will take them and throw them into the grinder. Because fuck poor people and you want to win. Besides auxiliary forces can be used for tons of stuff that isn't holding the front lines against knights, say help build and man battlements for sieges.

Vic_Hazard on
  • LibrarianLibrarian The face of liberal fascism Registered User regular
    xfqAe7Z.jpg

• SmurphSmurph Registered User regular
    wazilla wrote: »
    Most Recent Ep Spoiler
    I wanted Tyrion, Grey Worm, and Missandei to continue getting drunk together for hours. Also really dug the "Most Famous Dwarf in the World" line. Tyrion hasn't had many moments this season, so I'm glad they gave him a little something to work with

Speculation about Jaime
    Having never read the books, I can't imagine Jaime killing Cersei under any circumstance, even if she is indirectly/directly responsible for Tommen's death. Over and over again it is shown to be the only thing he really cares about, and it's never really been sold to me that he cares that much about his kids. It always comes back to Cersei.

I think an interesting reversal of what is apparently in the books as a prophecy is if the Faith Militant have finally had enough of Cersei's shit and off her, or she gets herself killed trying to execute some plot against them. Jaime comes back to see this, flips his shit, and burns the city himself... kind of bringing his character full circle, and fully breaking him. Forever putting him beyond redemption. Bonus points if he has a chance to rescue Tommen and doesn't because of what he allowed happen to Cersei, reaffirming his Cersei uber Alles view, and making him double Kingslayer.

I would love that but unfortunately the show only seems to be capable of following the most obvious possible plot lines, so it won't happen.
    What will happen will be the boring obvious "Cersei burns the city, killing Tommen in the process" plot line. This is just like when everyone was spinning crazy theories about Arya and then Occam's Razor ruled the day.

Another thing that will 100% happen? Ramsay's army will be winning at Winterfell but then Littlefinger will show up in the nick of time and save the day. Some side characters might die, but otherwise it will be 100% this. Because it's obvious, everyone wants it, and writing anything else would be hard.

Sorta want to disagree with you Smurph but I wouldn't lay money on you being wrong.

• tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    Smurph wrote: »
    Most Recent Ep Spoiler

Speculation about Jaime

I would love that but unfortunately the show only seems to be capable of following the most obvious possible plot lines, so it won't happen.
    What will happen will be the boring obvious "Cersei burns the city, killing Tommen in the process" plot line. This is just like when everyone was spinning crazy theories about Arya and then Occam's Razor ruled the day.

Another thing that will 100% happen? Ramsay's army will be winning at Winterfell but then Littlefinger will show up in the nick of time and save the day. Some side characters might die, but otherwise it will be 100% this. Because it's obvious, everyone wants it, and writing anything else would be hard.
    My thought is that Cersei is done for, Margery is using the faith to destroy her, and then once she is done with Cersei Margery will turn the faith against the high Sparrow leaving her and Tommen in charge (because the commoners love Margery).

So Cersei dies, Jaime returns and is upset, but somehow he gets his nonsense together enough to lead the southern armies in the final season/battles

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • SmurphSmurph Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    Just realized something about Cersei's and Tommen's situation after browsing the subreddit a bit:
    Cersei is on trial for incest**. If found guilty, the High Septon can probably just declare that Tommen is a bastard of incest and have him killed on the spot. Then you have Cersei going mad and burning the city, and Jaime either kills her or commits suicide with her.

So the High Septon never gave a shit about the crown at all and was just using Tommen as a tool to get rid of the monarchy for good.

Goes against my own theory of the show not really having any surprises up its sleeve this season, but I think it makes more sense than Cersei burning the city and accidentally killing Tommen. And I think Tommen getting killed in cold blood by those he trusts kinda matches up with how Cersei's other kids have died.

**EDIT: Actually that's not true, she's on trial for having Lancel help murder Robert. But I wouldn't be surprised if the incest thing came up and led to Tommen's death.

Smurph on
  • Inkstain82Inkstain82 Registered User regular
    Smurph wrote: »
    Most Recent Ep Spoiler

Speculation about Jaime

And this isn't a bad thing, imo. We are roughly through 5.5 books of story here. If most of it *wasn't* obvious, then they wouldn't be doing their jobs right. What's the saying? Tropes aren't bad.

We're just past the point in the story where you can have another Red Wedding or undiscovered R+L=J.

This discussion has been closed.