As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Robert Khoo resigns from Penny Arcade

• Options
    Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    bset wrote: »
    I shall miss his majesty greatly. Is there already somebody in mind as a new business lead or do I and others have an upcoming opportunity to usurp his mighty throne and lead Spaceship Penny Arcade to galaxies beyond?

No new business lead! Robert's duties are being spread out among the remaining staff.

Is everyone going to be able to handle their workloads being tripled?

broken image link
  • Options
    AwkoAwko About to poison the waterhole.Registered User regular
    Thanks, Khoo.

You're Good People.

• Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    Thanks for everything you've done, Khoo!

• Options
    MorblitzMorblitz Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    Khoo is awesome and I'm really saddened to see him go.
    I met him for the first time with my girlfriend and brother at the inaugural Pax Aus in 2013.
    My girlfriend and I had medical passes, with my brother allowed to accompany us. We were accidentally misdirected to the wrong theatre for the keynote speech and Q/A, thinking that is where people with med passes went to. By the time the enforcers realised and sent us back to the right place, the room was almost to capacity and they had stopped letting people in.

We were super, super bummed. But then we ran into Khoo! He asked us how we were going and we explained the situation to him. He considered it for a moment, and told us to come with him. He lead us around the back and lifted up a curtain, showing us the back end of the theatre, with a row of seats remaining. He told us to grab some seats and enjoy PAX.

A real stand up guy. Every other interaction I've had with him since then has been memorable.
    He is one of those people that you respect and look forward to meeting, and you will not be disappointed.

Thanks for helping make PA, and PAX a terrific part of all of our lives, Robert.

Morblitz on
    3DS Pokemon Y Friend Code: 0645 5780 8920
    Please shoot me a PM if you add me so I know to add you back.
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Khoo once helped me with a problem with passes the opening day of PAX East a few years ago despite it bring, you know, PAX EAST when he is busy as all hell. Ridicuously patient and nice the whole time.

You the best, Khoo.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Mysst wrote: »
    but who will punch me now?

Definitely one of my favorite PAX moments.

BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Khoo once helped me with a problem with passes the opening day of PAX East a few years ago despite it bring, you know, PAX EAST when he is busy as all hell. Ridicuously patient and nice the whole time.

You the best, Khoo.

You should ask @Mysst the story of Khoo getting him a pass for PAX Prime after he left his at home. It is my all time favourite story of Khoo.

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    bset wrote: »
    I shall miss his majesty greatly. Is there already somebody in mind as a new business lead or do I and others have an upcoming opportunity to usurp his mighty throne and lead Spaceship Penny Arcade to galaxies beyond?

No new business lead! Robert's duties are being spread out among the remaining staff.

Is everyone going to be able to handle their workloads being tripled?

I'm not going to get into specifics (some of them I know, some of them I don't) but Robert has done his best to make sure that no one is going to get crushed by a weight of new work. Sensible plans have been put in place.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    With how wonderful Khoo has been at making PA into what it is today, I hope he got a FAT golden parachute.

• Options
    NoisymunkNoisymunk Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    The Midnight Khoo&A with Robert Khoo at PAX East a couple years ago is one of my fondest PAX memories.
    Safe travels, it's been wonderful watching you build this massive thing out of two buffoons and a dream.

Noisymunk on
    brDe918.jpg
  • Options
    XaerinXaerin Registered User new member
    Just had to register to say Robert will be missed :'(

• Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    Fourteen years at the helm of a company is impressively long. Hell fourteen years in any job is pretty long. I hope Robert finds something fulfilling, invigorating, and befitting of his talents.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited June 2016
    Butters wrote: »
    Fourteen years at the helm of a company is impressively long. Hell fourteen years in any job is pretty long. I hope Robert finds something fulfilling, invigorating, and befitting of his talents.

All true, but I still found it strange his departure was being the reported as big industry news. I guess I still think of PA as this little .JPEG upload by Mike & Jerry.

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Hmm...

Gawker desperately need some decent management to fix up that broken shambles of an organisation...

• Options
    MichaelLC wrote: »

All true, but I still found it strange his departure was being the reported as big industry news. I guess I still think of PA as this little .JPEG upload by Mike & Jerry.

Robert is Kind Of A Big Deal.

• Options
    Jacques L'HommeJacques L'Homme BAH! He was a rank amateur compared to, DR. COLOSSUS!Registered User regular
    So, this is what it's like to watch your steely eyed hero smile one last time and pop out a thumb, before turning and riding towards the setting sun.

So long, Khoo. I'll look forward to hearing of your future endeavors. May they be glorious and grand.

• Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    So I'm guessing he'll be putting up a big poster in Jerry and Mikes office that says "DON'T SELL THE COMPANY!"

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular

Oh yeah, 100%. In my head though they're still just some dudes uploading comics. Like how your want to believe Burt's Bees is still that hippy dude, not a line item on Clorox's P&L.

• Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    i met khoo when he came to new york many years ago

he bought us drinks

he is a very nice man

poo
  • Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    Khoo bought me a bottle of Laguvalin for Secret Satans

And You Got Mail on BluRay for some reason

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    Everyone gets a copy of You Got Mail on BluRay.

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Blake T wrote: »

You the best, Khoo.

You should ask @Mysst the story of Khoo getting him a pass for PAX Prime after he left his at home. It is my all time favourite story of Khoo.

He saved our asses at PAX East 2016 after the forumer who bought them accidentally gave Reedpop the wrong address, and we only figured it all out a week before the show...

His efforts to make the medical badge experience amazing is by far the thing I'm most grateful for though. It makes PAX a complete, wonderful thing for Belasco and I, when it otherwise would be about 20% of a thing.

• Options
    PayneTraynePayneTrayne Canuck Registered User regular
    3hqap7hw68t9.jpg
    I always made it a point to meet up and thank Khoo at all the PAXen I went to. However, I will never forgot one day while standing in line and saying hello that he casually reached over and fixed my tie and the li'l man stuck in it. That is now obviously my luckiest tie that I wear on tough days of teaching!

PAX East 2015:Get on Pokecrawl Team Yellow Silver [ ] Pass [X] Vacation Time [X] Hotel [X] Flights [ ] PAX East 2015 Complete [ X ] Sell Extra Set of Badges because Friend Bailed [ ]
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    Thanks for everything, Khoo. I've only ever seen you be a pro and a class act.

• Options
    BlackDoveBlackDove Registered User regular
    Wow, forget about good luck to Robert Khoo; Good luck Penny Arcade! Gonna be tough without that dude at the helm.

Khoo, I hope you have a great time now, since I assume you're going back to China and all.

I wonder what big corp he's gonna run next? CEO of Sony? Microsoft? Nintendo? A game developer? Anyone could use Khoo to succeed.

• Options
    DaimarDaimar A Million Feet Tall of Awesome Registered User regular
    So I'm guessing he'll be putting up a big poster in Jerry and Mikes office that says "DON'T SELL THE COMPANY!"

I imagine he used to set traps for Mike and Jerry, sending them random pieces of paper to sign with clauses buried in them saying they'll sell the company, kind of like Cato always attacking Inspector Clouseau to keep him sharp. Once they went for 3 months without accidentally selling the company he figured they're ready to go it alone.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    There's longer, fancier ways to say it, but I think everyone else is doing it much better, so: thank you, goodbye, and good luck.

forumsig.png
  • Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    If Robert Khoo thinks Penny Arcade can go on without him, then I'm sure he's right.

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    edited June 2016
    i already posted some pretty maudlin stuff on facebook, but i wanted to share it here: thank you @Robert Khoo for everything. you helped me realize that Asian American men can and do go far far beyond the stereotypes and can be successful professional mad geniuses, not just model minority stuff.

also, just so you know, you are among a select few people who inspired me to keep going, pass the bar, and get to where i am now. there are too many lawyers already, so it's basically your fault :biggrin:

hope you're well, and best wishes to ya! don't let that new hairstyle go to waste! if you don't run for Vice President, i think you'd do well as genius supervillain :P

fightinfilipino on
    ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562
  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    Never met Robert, but I've been visiting this site since 2001, and seen him transform it into a weird internet watering hole that you heard about third hand from a friend to a pillar of a culture that didn't much exist until Penny Arcade's primacy.

My favorite piece of media regarding Robert Khoo is that video where Mike and Jerry barge into his office wondering how much it would cost to run the site without ads for an entire year, and when he tells them they go into hysterics and he just smirks at them like the big dummies they are.

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited June 2016
    Oh no, now Gabe is going to go right out and get that motorcycle. :(

IZfZfKSl.jpg

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular

I was talking to some friends tonight who aren't even PA fans or anything and they were all really interested to see what Robert does next, just because he's Kind Of A Big Deal

heck my Dad was quite sad to hear the news and he's only been to one PAX (though is also keenly aware of what it's like to work a job for 15+ years, eventually you might just move on!) but he talked to Robert for a while before the forumer photo and instantly understood one of the big reasons PAX is so good

• Options
    Gilbert0Gilbert0 North of SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited June 2016
    Good luck Khoo with whatever the next phase of your life may be.

While I have never met you, both my wife and I would like to pretend we know you a little bit from the PA:The Series videos. We were always so impressed with the thought and detail you put into things that you care about. To us, that is highlighted by the bachelor party videos in season 2 with the craziness that you organized.

Becuase of this caring of not only for your friends but perfect strangers, you've helped craft a couple of guys drawing and making dick jokes into multiple country multiple time a year convention series, clothing lines, physical and video games and probably the most important, a safe space for thousands to come together, without judgment and discuss a wide variety of topics.

Thank you Khoo, we won't forget you ever.

Gilbert0 on
  • Options
    LinktmLinktm Registered User regular
    Robert is as much a part of Penny Arcade as Mike and Jerry, and it's funny, but most people would never know that on a tertiary glance. Kudos to you Khoo, the rock on which this church ended up being built (or I guess since the church was already here, it was more like a renovation.) Best wishes.

• Options
    MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    Blake T wrote: »

You the best, Khoo.

He brought me a pass! And then he punched me! It left a pretty good bruise!

ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    NarbusNarbus Registered User regular

Would you say he's a khoollossus?

• Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    good luck and thanks for helping keep the forum lights on.

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    How much did he embezzle to finally make leaving worthwhile?

Also for real good luck in your future endeavors, Khoo!

• Options
    MalReynoldsMalReynolds The Hunter S Thompson of incredibly mild medicines Registered User regular
    One the best memories I have is PaxEast, back in 2011. I went with my then fiance - she had managed to snag passes. We went, had a spectacular weekend. And you helped give that to us.

So, thank you.

"A new take on the epic fantasy genre... Darkly comic, relatable characters... twisted storyline."
    "Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor
    My new novel: Maledictions: The Offering. Now in Paperback!
  • Options
    LasbrookLasbrook It takes a lot to make a stew When it comes to me and youRegistered User regular
    Moriveth wrote: »
    How much did he embezzle to finally make leaving worthwhile?

Also for real good luck in your future endeavors, Khoo!

All the rights to penny arcade are secretly in his name, after he leaves they get a bill for the license to use the brand.