As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

It's W[E3]d!

• Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    There have been so many cool games this week

Breath of the Wild is the most exciting one by FAR

6F32U1X.png
  • -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    Is anyone upset that he appears to be named link and you can't change his name

I can never tell what's gonna set people off about zelda

i mean i wouldn't say i'm upset at nintendo's continued stance on female characters in existing franchises

just a tired disappointment

No sorry that part sucks

I just mean that you can't enter your name for the character like you have always previously been able to

perhaps link is just your title, like "mega man" x

PNk1Ml4.png
  • ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    -Tal wrote: »

i mean i wouldn't say i'm upset at nintendo's continued stance on female characters in existing franchises

just a tired disappointment

No sorry that part sucks

I just mean that you can't enter your name for the character like you have always previously been able to

perhaps link is just your title, like "mega man" x

This would be neat, sure

I don't care about amiibo

But the gold base is cute

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »

I'm biased in this regard but holy shit in a block of time where game after game has been really exciting, Breath of the Wind takes that to another level. It is very super fun to antcipate mmhmm

dN0T6ur.png
  • I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    the Lifelike Interpretation of a Normal Kingslayer

liEt3nH.png
    Today Nintendo gave fans just a taste of how The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild takes the franchise to new heights. Nintendo’s booth at E3 immerses attendees in the world of the game. As E3 attendees investigate Hyrule, they can explore the game any way they want because the world is so vast and players are not required to take a pre-determined path. This sense of freedom and vastness will truly come alive in the final game when the experience isn't limited by the restrictions of a show floor demo.

During a Nintendo Treehouse: Live demo, Nintendo showed that heroic Link needs to be resourceful as he explores his environment. It’s important for players to become familiar with their surroundings so they can find weapons or collect them from defeated enemies. Food helps Link sustain his hearts and can give him a temporary boost or ability that will sustain him.

The game breaks with some conventions from the series. For example, many of the minor enemies are no longer scattered randomly around the world, as many now live together in colonies. Link can climb towers and massive structures to get a bearing on his surroundings. He can even reach the top of mountains – any mountain he can see, he can climb. He can paraglide to lower areas or even use his shield to slide down a mountain. Link will travel across fields, through forests and to mountain peaks.

The game’s wild world surrounds Link, and he must pay attention to changes in climate, as a shift in weather or temperature can affect the environment and his ability to survive in it. A sudden downpour might douse a roaring campfire or a lightning storm might be attracted to Link’s metallic weapons. Players might need to bundle up with warmer clothes or change into something better suited to the desert heat.

More than 100 Shrines of Trials dot the landscape, waiting for players to discover and explore them in any order they want. As players work their way through the traps and puzzles inside, they’ll earn special items and other rewards that will help them on their adventure. Puzzles in the game often have multiple answers, and secrets can be found everywhere. Exploration and discovery are a huge part of the fun.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild is scheduled to launch simultaneously for both the Wii U console and Nintendo’s next system, code-named NX, in 2017.

6F32U1X.png
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular

For open world style games I think horizon zero dawn is still taking it for me but this zelda has me interested in a way zelda has not in years.

• UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    This hold music is the best

• Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular

I'm sure some people will be unhappy.

And those people are monsters

In Jim Sterling's video this week, he talked about how the people cynical about E3 have just as much rights to be negative toward the announcements as the people who are excited about them.

On principle, he's totally right. Everyone's entitled to how they want to react to something. And yes, a large amount of parody images and comments add to the fun of the event, rather than detract.

My problem is with the people who almost deliberately want to rain on other people's parade, finding even the smallest slivers of negativity and proclaiming it as "the worst thing ever" or "pre-order cancelled".

Tolerances may vary, but it does get annoying.

• WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    it hasn't been an enormous number of titles but the running theme of "AAA franchises dramatically reinventing themselves" is a super super encouraging thing to see

Today Nintendo gave fans just a taste of how The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild takes the franchise to new heights. Nintendo’s booth at E3 immerses attendees in the world of the game. As E3 attendees investigate Hyrule, they can explore the game any way they want because the world is so vast and players are not required to take a pre-determined path. This sense of freedom and vastness will truly come alive in the final game when the experience isn't limited by the restrictions of a show floor demo.

During a Nintendo Treehouse: Live demo, Nintendo showed that heroic Link needs to be resourceful as he explores his environment. It’s important for players to become familiar with their surroundings so they can find weapons or collect them from defeated enemies. Food helps Link sustain his hearts and can give him a temporary boost or ability that will sustain him.

The game breaks with some conventions from the series. For example, many of the minor enemies are no longer scattered randomly around the world, as many now live together in colonies. Link can climb towers and massive structures to get a bearing on his surroundings. He can even reach the top of mountains – any mountain he can see, he can climb. He can paraglide to lower areas or even use his shield to slide down a mountain. Link will travel across fields, through forests and to mountain peaks.

The game’s wild world surrounds Link, and he must pay attention to changes in climate, as a shift in weather or temperature can affect the environment and his ability to survive in it. A sudden downpour might douse a roaring campfire or a lightning storm might be attracted to Link’s metallic weapons. Players might need to bundle up with warmer clothes or change into something better suited to the desert heat.

More than 100 Shrines of Trials dot the landscape, waiting for players to discover and explore them in any order they want. As players work their way through the traps and puzzles inside, they’ll earn special items and other rewards that will help them on their adventure. Puzzles in the game often have multiple answers, and secrets can be found everywhere. Exploration and discovery are a huge part of the fun.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild is scheduled to launch simultaneously for both the Wii U console and Nintendo’s next system, code-named NX, in 2017.

Blargh this has me very worried

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
    I can't decide whether I want BoW to have a small number of gigantic dungeons or a whole bunch of little dungeons spread out.

It's a tough call.

• OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    This is maybe the most excited I've ever been by a Zelda game

I was stoked for Wind Waker, to be sure, and that game is a classic... but I played all the others after the fact

Skyward Sword and Twilight Princess were cool (Twilight Princess in particular had a neat little story and aesthetic that gets overlooked because it's not as neat as Wind Waker's) but I was never hype

Breath of the Wild has my fucking dander up

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
    edited June 2016
    I needed anime to post. on
    liEt3nH.png
    They are about to show one of the shrines on stream

6F32U1X.png
  • DaypigeonDaypigeon Registered User regular
    they're showing and talking about the shrines right now

Yeah this open world stuff is super cool but I'd still like there to be proper zelda ass zelda dungeons to find in the world.

• WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    Player just called out that shrines of trials and dungeons are separate but both are in

dN0T6ur.png
    During the conversation, which was translated by a Nintendo representative, we asked Aonuma if the rumors of having the option to play as a female version of Link are accurate. He said that he's aware of the conversations happening online, stating: "So yes, there were rumors like that, and we did discuss as a staff as to what would be possible if we took that route."

However, instead of entertaining the idea of the player being able to choose the hero Link's gender, Aonuma said his team considered what they deemed to be the simplest option; making princess Zelda the lead character. "We thought about it," said Aonuma, "and decided that if we're going to have a female protagonist it's simpler to have Princess Zelda as the main character."

This idea was ultimately rejected, because according to Aonuma "...if we have princess Zelda as the main character who fights, then what is Link going to do? Taking into account that, and also the idea of the balance of the Triforce, we thought it best to come back to this [original] makeup."

I'm fine with them abandoning the 7-12 dungeons structure

PNk1Ml4.png
  • KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    edited June 2016

I don't think that is racism?

But that does sound like an answer I would expect from a nintendo person

Kwoaru on
    2x39jD4.jpg
  • OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    Oh my god they just entered a Shrine and it said some shit about Oman Au and the Goddess Hylia

Somewhere Wyborn is vibrating so hard his body has become one with the speed force

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
    edited June 2016
    During the conversation, which was translated by a Nintendo representative, we asked Aonuma if the rumors of having the option to play as a female version of Link are accurate. He said that he's aware of the conversations happening online, stating: "So yes, there were rumors like that, and we did discuss as a staff as to what would be possible if we took that route."

However, instead of entertaining the idea of the player being able to choose the hero Link's gender, Aonuma said his team considered what they deemed to be the simplest option; making princess Zelda the lead character. "We thought about it," said Aonuma, "and decided that if we're going to have a female protagonist it's simpler to have Princess Zelda as the main character."

This idea was ultimately rejected, because according to Aonuma "...if we have princess Zelda as the main character who fights, then what is Link going to do? Taking into account that, and also the idea of the balance of the Triforce, we thought it best to come back to this [original] makeup."

They are just so colossally missing the point it's crazy

This is why I thought Nintendo was not capable of making a Zelda game that changes it as much as even this already does

Mr. G on
    6F32U1X.png

like this is exactly what i'm talking about when nintendo has Traditionalism as a noose around their neck

"well what would link do if zelda was a hero? can't have link do nothing"

fuck YOU you backwards old fucks, zelda does fuck all for 95% of almost every single game you put out with her name in the fucking title

liEt3nH.png

Waluigi is not the only amiibo announced

Give me the Boo

This doesn't even make sense

Link can do the Zelda stuff

Done

• XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular

Blargh this has me very worried

the bolded?

why?

or do you mean the ($5 says Q4) simultaneous launch

• OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular

I'm sure some people will be unhappy.

And those people are monsters

In Jim Sterling's video this week, he talked about how the people cynical about E3 have just as much rights to be negative toward the announcements as the people who are excited about them.

On principle, he's totally right. Everyone's entitled to how they want to react to something. And yes, a large amount of parody images and comments add to the fun of the event, rather than detract.

My problem is with the people who almost deliberately want to rain on other people's parade, finding even the smallest slivers of negativity and proclaiming it as "the worst thing ever" or "pre-order cancelled".

Tolerances may vary, but it does get annoying.

1) the reason they're monsters isn't because they're upset, it's because they change Link's name in the game
    2) I was goofing.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

Kwoaru wrote: »

I don't think that is racism?

But that does sound like an answer I would expect from a nintendo person

i said racist instead of sexist because i am still just starting my morning tea

liEt3nH.png

Well sexist but yeah, old folk in Japan tend to be quite entrenched in their gender views.

I can't decide whether I want BoW to have a small number of gigantic dungeons or a whole bunch of little dungeons spread out.

It's a tough call.

Well shit. Is it possible it's a ruse and we'll get an unveiling later?

Olivaw wrote: »
    Oh my god they just entered a Shrine and it said some shit about Oman Au and the Goddess Hylia

Somewhere Wyborn is vibrating so hard his body has become one with the speed force

are you fucking kidding me

I would like mr aonuma to go deeper into the logic of why it would be simpler to have princess zelda as the main character

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    That's pretty dumb!

• DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Yea alright. No reason to be worried about the dungeon content.

This shit is FIRE.

-Tal wrote: »
    I would like mr aonuma to go deeper into the logic of why it would be simpler to have princess zelda as the main character

They wouldn't have to invent a new character or redesign a current one (yes I know you can just say link is a girl but they clearly don't see it that way)

This discussion has been closed.