As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[E3] is locked down for another year!

• InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    -Tal wrote: »
    the durability here seems good because you're constantly being provided with new items, so it just means you need to be regularly switching out

once you get the master sword that will probably never break

I hope there is still a reason to use other equipment once you get the master sword, but it should be like, a nice consistent fall back weapon.

• Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular
    The thing that gets me most about their excuse for no girl Link or Zelda as the main character is they had a year to come up with a reason and they ended up on "Link being a boy is part of his character and if Zelda was the hero what would Link do?"

2ohWien.png
    Tumblr | Twitter PSN: misterdapper Av by Satellite_09
  • Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Peewi wrote: »
    So it seems that Ganon is the villain and the presence of koroks make me think that Breath of the Wild is after Wind Waker. Are we going to get a return of WW Ganondorf?

oh don't even say it

6F32U1X.png
  • MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    I mean if they love Zelda

I don't know why they would ruin it like that, it's just confusing is all

• -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    "breath of the wild" is meant to evoke the wilderness setting but I wonder why they chose "breath" specifically, are we going to have magic breath

PNk1Ml4.png
  • ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    Because this version of Zelda is a breath of goddamn fresh air.

• MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    You're going to yell at enemies, and it'll knock them over.

And once you get more powerful magic breath, it can even send enemies flying.

They haven't even shown Epona and that totally baller "jump off her and do slow-mo arrow shots" thing

6F32U1X.png
  • DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    Viskod wrote: »
    Mr. G wrote: »

Might as well have said.

"For all of our male players, please understand.

For all of our female players, perhaps find a man that has the time to explain it to you."

my excitement for this Zelda vanished when I saw I couldn't play as a girl

it's a pretty big deal for me

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    DodgeBlan wrote: »
    this looks way better than Skyward Sword or Twilight Princess

I still have concerns though

if they are doing survival type stuff tuning the difficulty is really important and I don't think nintendo is interested in that

So far it seems like there are parts of this early game that will fuck you up, in a way I did not expect from a Zelda game

Not sure how the whole game will be, or what the final balance will be like, but there are enemies that people are calling out as "very powerful" and then they buff themselves with four extra hearts and then take one hit and get down to critical health, so it seems like they ain't blowin' smoke

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
    edited June 2016
    I don't think this is the taming of new hyrule, there is no sign of active human settlement

-Tal on
    PNk1Ml4.png
  • ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    Maddoc wrote: »
    I mean if they love Zelda

I don't know why they would ruin it like that, it's just confusing is all

Well, again. If you could see this. You would realize nothing has been ruined. Everything has been made better. So. So much better.

• OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    every time someone at nintendo opens their mouth about these sorts of thing it makes me not want to buy any nintendo games

I mean, not to be a total downer but if you really don't want to support institutionalized sexism you probably shouldn't buy any nintendo games :(

Really probably shouldn't support much of the games industry at all. Or patronize most companies. Or...

I mean, you're not wrong.

Right, but my point is, once you start thinking like that, you end up going down this ridiculous rabbit hole that has no end and is nearly impossible to balance with the realities of living a normal life. Which is why I don't believe in ascribing the beliefs of the creator of something to the product itself, unless those beliefs are specifically reflected in the product. Everything we do is benefiting awful people in one way or another and playing "degrees of sexism" isn't going to accomplish anything other than getting everyone really depressed.

It's definitely worth talking about and even pressuring companies about, when possible. But, like, that last part requires the company to be paying attention to you.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

The only way this shit gets better is if you tell these companies that they need to do better

• I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    Wyborn wrote: »

yeah

it's not inherently sexist to not have a female character option - it's disappointing, especially as you get bigger and bigger budgets, but it's just disappointing

when you try to explain it the way nintendo does, woof, woof

dig up, guys

liEt3nH.png
    every time someone at nintendo opens their mouth about these sorts of thing it makes me not want to buy any nintendo games

I mean, not to be a total downer but if you really don't want to support institutionalized sexism you probably shouldn't buy any nintendo games :(

Really probably shouldn't support much of the games industry at all. Or patronize most companies. Or...

Right, but my point is, once you start thinking like that, you end up going down this ridiculous rabbit hole that has no end and is nearly impossible to balance with the realities of living a normal life. Which is why I don't believe in ascribing the beliefs of the creator of something to the product itself, unless those beliefs are specifically reflected in the product. Everything we do is benefiting awful people in one way or another and playing "degrees of sexism" isn't going to accomplish anything other than getting everyone really depressed.

It's definitely worth talking about and even pressuring companies about, when possible. But, like, that last part requires the company to be paying attention to you.

That's a perfectly fine decision for you to make for yourself and other people are perfectly capable of making their own decisions for themselves.

• WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    I don't think this is the taming of new hyrule, there is no sign of active human settlement

There are farms, and farmer's pitchforks to fight with

But this land is pretty wild

I think it's Hyrule but in ruins

dN0T6ur.png
  • bombardierbombardier Moderator mod
    I really hope he can make this happen:

There is literally nothing they can say at this point that makes this situation "better". They can only make it worse.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

That's a perfectly fine decision for you to make for yourself and other people are perfectly capable of making their own decisions for themselves.

Reminder that this started by you suggesting that if someone doesn't like the way Nintendo is approaching this issue, they should break all ties with the modern world.

• I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular

There is literally nothing they can say at this point that makes this situation "better". They can only make it worse.

then they shouldn't say something

liEt3nH.png
  • DodgeBlanDodgeBlan PSN: dodgeblanRegistered User regular
    I don't think you should be surprised

Nintendo is very sheltered from the western media conversation around gender in games going on right now

I'd be very surprised if there were any key developers at Nintendo that even understood what the conversation is about

Read my blog about AMERICA and THE BAY AREA

https://medium.com/@alascii
  • OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular

Yeah, it's like when the Subnautica people tried to do something similar--give themselves an excuse for why they weren't including a female playable character in a game where you're a complete blank slate

If Link were just a boy again, no one would be upset. It would kinda suck, and people would talk about it, and it should be talked about, but no one would be upset

Trying to give reasons why you're not doing it is making people upset

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
    bombardier wrote: »

Waluigi is gonna get stuck in there.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

edited June 2016
    Maddoc wrote: »

Reminder that this started by you suggesting that if someone doesn't like the way Nintendo is approaching this issue, they should break all ties with the modern world.

Reminder that no, I fucking didn't. It was a response to someone who said that specifically how nintendo is approaching the issue made them not want to buy their games. It was a specific response to their specific comment.

Inquisitor on

You don't say...

cdci44qazyo3.gif

yo they still have time to do it in these 9 months

you got the androgynous model just select and replace them pronouns with the ones you select in the menu

PNk1Ml4.png

then they shouldn't say something

Yeah, exactly (I was agreeing with Wyborn and Gigi).

cdci44qazyo3.gif

I'm pretty sure making their own decision was exactly what they were doing with that statement

I don't see anyone telling other people they should stay away from this because of the hilariously bad way they're stumbling around this issue

• Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular

Agreed. As disappointing as it is, Nintendo doesn't "have" to include a female option. It would be a really cool thing, but I don't share the idea of "Do it or the game is ruined".

That said, it would have been much better if their response was something more humble like "We haven't figured out the best way to apply that", which is totally fair.

Agents of Mayhem is starting now on the IGN stream

6F32U1X.png
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    DodgeBlan wrote: »
    this looks way better than Skyward Sword or Twilight Princess

I still have concerns though

if they are doing survival type stuff tuning the difficulty is really important and I don't think nintendo is interested in that

you think nintendo doesn't tune the difficulty of their games?

BahamutZERO.gif
  • joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    How is it that nothing on Atlus' stage is getting streamed?

you got the androgynous model just select and replace them pronouns with the ones you select in the menu

Realistically they won't, and if pressed further will likely produce an answer similar to the people behind shadow of the colossus that said something like "oh well the main character climbs a lot and we all know girls can't climb, especially given that they wear skirts all the time."

• SilverWindSilverWind Registered User regular
    http://kotaku.com/hands-on-with-the-legend-of-zelda-breath-of-the-wild-1781969632

Various portions pasted and bolded
    The other demo featured the beginning of the game and gets into the action right away. Link has access to a sword within five minutes. This Zelda, unlike recent ones, doesn’t seem to be a slow starter. You can get to the game’s first shrine, or mini-dungeon, in under 20 minutes. Franchise head Eiji Aonuma told me that he guesses that it might take an hour or so to get to the game’s first proper dungeon.

For the E3 demos, the GamePad screen shows the control mappings. “Previously, when I was playing with Mr. Miyamoto, you might have seen that the map was on the GamePad screen,” Aouma said, referring to a demo he did of the game two Decembers ago. “But after developing the game and playing the game we realized that having a smaller version of the map on screen is actually better so you know where you are at all times. So we decided to take it that route. Obviously if we find that there’s a great feature we could add to the GamePad, there is a possibility that we could do that.”

If you are carrying a sword in a thunderstorm, Aonuma told me, you are more likely to get hit by lightning. “On the other hand, you can throw your weapons,” he said. “If the enemy were to pick it up, you can try to make it so that the lightning falls on them.”

There are 100 or so shrines in the game, according to Aonuma. Their entrances also serve as fast-travel points.

signature.png
    Switch: SW-7603-3284-4227
    My ACNH Wishlists | My ACNH Catalog

Realistically they won't, and if pressed further will likely produce an answer similar to the people behind shadow of the colossus that said something like "oh well the main character climbs a lot and we all know girls can't climb, especially given that they wear skirts all the time."

Ignoring the fact that Link himself often wears skirts

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• PeewiPeewi Registered User regular

There are farms, and farmer's pitchforks to fight with

But this land is pretty wild

I think it's Hyrule but in ruins

You start right next to the ruins of the temple of time. It is definitely Hyrule.

• MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    with all the buzz around it, i think they did kind of need to address the girl link thing. they really should have said "we ended up not liking it and didn't do it." and just left it there and not talked about the zelda being the protagonist thing.

Okay so Agents of Mayhem is super colorful, think like current Telltale games

Instead of in GTAV, where all 3 characters exist at the same time and you move around to each one, you are always just playing as 1 character and swap between each one on the fly, and they replace the one you're currently playing

6F32U1X.png