As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Robert Khoo resigns from Penny Arcade

• A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Lasbrook wrote: »
    Moriveth wrote: »
    How much did he embezzle to finally make leaving worthwhile?

Also for real good luck in your future endeavors, Khoo!

All the rights to penny arcade are secretly in his name, after he leaves they get a bill for the license to use the brand.

Ah, like the camping idea of leaving things as you found them.

• TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    Good job, Robert.

You did it.

Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
  • The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Mysst wrote: »
    Blake T wrote: »
    Khoo once helped me with a problem with passes the opening day of PAX East a few years ago despite it bring, you know, PAX EAST when he is busy as all hell. Ridicuously patient and nice the whole time.

You the best, Khoo.

You should ask @Mysst the story of Khoo getting him a pass for PAX Prime after he left his at home. It is my all time favourite story of Khoo.

He brought me a pass! And then he punched me! It left a pretty good bruise!

I liked how he gave no warning, just a vague question of "Do you have any injuries or health conditions?"

BLM - ACAB
  • TubeTube Registered User admin
    I'm mostly coping decently with this as long as I don't think about the fact that Robert isn't going to present me with my 10 Year plaque at Christmas.

• NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Will there be a direct line to Khoo in the style of a red rotary phone in a glass case labeled "Break in case of emergency" installed in the PA Offices?

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Bizzaro StormyBizzaro Stormy I am Bizzaro Stormy. I am Bizzaro Stormy.Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    sadstormy_zpsdbfxxnaf.jpg

Bizzaro Stormy on
  • Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular
    Awww, Stormy's sad.

(Me too, buddy.)

• JamsqueJamsque Registered User regular
    The end is extremely fucking nigh

• ShellbackShellback Registered User regular
    I've been visiting this site for far longer than I've been signed up as a member and it seems really, really weird that Robert will be gone. I'm oddly sad about it and I don't like feeling things. I DON'T LIKE FEELING THINGS, ROBERT!

• godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    Yeah, it's strange realizing that most of us have never known a Robert-less Penny Arcade.

• NullzoneNullzone Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    I'd be lying if I said that Robert's time with PA didn't impact me personally - my experiences at PAX are an integral part of my person today, even if it's no longer something I feel I can be a part of. I hope that the company continues to grow and use its strength and size to be a positive force for games and continually challenge the status quo, perhaps even in the face of "gamer culture" itself.

Thanks, Robert. I hope your next adventure is twice as exciting.

Nullzone on
  • BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Work Left Unfinished Registered User regular
    Sad Bizarro Stormy has legit been the hardest part of my day.

Hang in there, buddy ...

• Desert LeviathanDesert Leviathan Registered User regular
    I wonder if he'll still come to PAX just to chill and see stuff? Or maybe take a break from it for a while, to give people time to get used to him not being a part of the production side, so that when he does show up, people who haven't been paying attention to this news won't keep pestering him for stuff?

Realizing lately that I don't really trust or respect basically any of the moderators here. So, good luck with life, friends! Hit me up on Twitter @DesertLeviathan
  • I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    A steak! wrote: »
    Lasbrook wrote: »
    Moriveth wrote: »
    How much did he embezzle to finally make leaving worthwhile?

Also for real good luck in your future endeavors, Khoo!

All the rights to penny arcade are secretly in his name, after he leaves they get a bill for the license to use the brand.

Ah, like the camping idea of leaving things as you found them.

i was thinking about how to make this joke and this is 100x better than any of them

liEt3nH.png
  • SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    I have never heard anything but good things about Khoo and wish him the absolute very best.

• TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    I'm shocked, but excited for whatever Khoo does next. What Robert has done for PA is simply incredible, there is no question that PA and all the associated parts would not be what it is today without him. I'm sure he will be successful wherever he goes.

But I'm also not scared for PA. I'm sure he is leaving it in a good place.

• mtbmtb Registered User regular
    Alas, poor Robert! I knew him, Horatio: a fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy: he hath borne me on his back a thousand times; and now, how abhorred in my imagination it is! ... Where be your gibes now? your gambols? your songs? your flashes of merriment, that were wont to set the table on a roar?

• nearlysobernearlysober Registered User regular
    Not that he'll ever see this... but... write a book about the Penny Arcade story, the start, the craziness with the rights, etc.

• ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
  • ProlegomenaProlegomena Frictionless Spinning The VoidRegistered User regular
    So I'm guessing he'll be putting up a big poster in Jerry and Mikes office that says "DON'T SELL THE COMPANY!"
    Mike, Jerry, don't listen to him. I've got this awesome bag of magic beans you need to see.

• fishfishmonkeyhatfishfishmonkeyhat Freelance Pin Man Newcastle, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2016
    Was totally gonna try to do a vine with him at AUS this year.

Probably best for him he won't be there for that, actually.

EDIT: Who's selecting the PAX Q&A questions now? These are the important issues.

fishfishmonkeyhat on
  • Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    It seems like Khoo enjoyed interacting with the people at PAX so much that he would want to go as a civilian anyway. I mean, you KNOW he has to have a lifetime VIP pass...

• ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular

EDIT: Who's selecting the PAX Q&A questions now? These are the important issues.

No one, we're going back to the good old days of people asking "who would win pirates or ninjas lololol" or just making a noise.

• fishfishmonkeyhatfishfishmonkeyhat Freelance Pin Man Newcastle, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Butler wrote: »

No one, we're going back to the good old days of people asking "who would win pirates or ninjas lololol" or just making a noise.

"Who would win, one horse size duck, or a question framed as to get you to tell the story about shitting your pants again?"

Oh god, the fucking Q&A proposals

• AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    Butler wrote: »

who would win? pirates or ninjas or zombies or monkeys or babies or raptors or robots or samurai or amazons or goku or superman or the hulk or

kill me now

• NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Mr. Khoo, thank you for always taking a little time out your schedule during PAX to show up for the forumer photos.

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    godmode wrote: »

Proposals? It was awkward enough at the Good Game panel when a question asker person asked for Hex's phone number...

• AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    I never met Khoo in person, but like many he's been an inspiration. Hopefully someday that will change, and I'll break down into a crying mess of a fanboy in front of him.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch

Proposals? It was awkward enough at the Good Game panel when a question asker person asked for Hex's phone number...

Believe you me, they were awkward as fuck. I know for sure there was one during my first PAX East in 2012, then I think it happened again the year after, and then preapproval of Q&A questions became standard.
    Also there were those people who took Q&A time to solicit money for their cat's operation or something and it's just not the time, place, or venue for that kind of thing.

• rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    edited June 2016

They're hijacking the q&a to propose to their significant other, not mike and jerry haha.

edit wait the wedding may have been another panel

rhylith on
    Also there were those people who took Q&A time to solicit money for their cat's operation or something

To get us back on track, Khoo describing this on the staff podcast was great.

• UEAKCrashUEAKCrash heh Registered User regular
    At a PAX East a few years back I saw Khoo standing watching attendees pour into the expo hall. On my way by I asked him if he could bestow upon me a small fraction of his power so I be successful at business and in life.

He gave me the most disappointed look.

That was clearly the motivation I needed.

• MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    He didn't give what you wanted, he gave you what you needed.

• cabsycabsy the fattest rainbow unicorn Registered User regular
    It seems like Khoo enjoyed interacting with the people at PAX so much that he would want to go as a civilian anyway. I mean, you KNOW he has to have a lifetime VIP pass...
    Tube wrote: »
    PedroAsani wrote: »
    I would imagine that there is going to be an end date some point in the future. He isn't out the door right this second. Do we know when that date is? Will he be at West? Aus? Charity Auction? Will he still be a PA person even if in attendance?

I believe mid July. If Khoo attends PAX it will be as a suave, immaculate civilian.

Sitting on one of the beanbags in the Fart Swamp, sipping courvoisier straight from the bottle.

T-shirt that reads "NOT MY PROBLEM".

• bishop186bishop186 Seattle, WARegistered User new member
    Mostly a lurker, although I've read PA for over a decade.

I only met Khoo once in passing -- PAX 2015 was my first (I used to live in Oklahoma before I moved up to Seattle last year and couldn't afford the travel), but he is a big part of what made Penny-Arcade what it is today.

I hope Khoo takes some well deserved time off and once he gets bored of chilling, I'll be excited to see what he does next.

• PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    My wife and I always counted Khoo sightings at PAXEast. Not seeing him must have been a bad sign. :(

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • DaebunzDaebunz Registered User regular
    The one time I bumped into Khoo in person I went to give him a quick brofist in passing a few PAXes ago, but he insisted on a handshake. Con plague be damned

2classy4me

7yh4xczljsym.png
  • GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    This place has been like a second home for me for a long time. Most of my friends are here. Some of those friends have helped me too grow up a lot. It's had a huge impact on my life.

So thanks for helping make that happen, Khoo.

We'll miss you.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    edited June 2016
    one time I was standing at the PA merch booth at pax, years ago, buyin' a tshirt

khoo happened to walk up while the two dudes running the booth were arguing about whether he or Tycho had won at guitar hero II on stage the previous day, so they asked him

and khoo was like "I did," and you could clearly hear "you schmuck" appended to that, but he didn't even need to say it out loud

then one of them started to ask him something else, but khoo put a hand to his ear (I mean, I'm assuming he had an earbud in, but also, who the fuck even knows), and said "I have to go" and left the dude in the middle of a sentence, blazer a-flutter

this happened nearly ten years ago and I can still remember everything about it with extraordinary vividness; it's just such a perfect distillation of everything I know about Khoo

he seems like a man of rare competence and I've little doubt he's gonna do something pretty interesting next

Shorty on