As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Programming] Mirror, mirror, on the wall, show the git diff for them all

• SavgeSavge Indecisive Registered User regular
    We will have to be maintaining a legacy Angular app but will also be doing green field development. Can anyone convince me otherwise that React isn't the clear and obvious choice for the green field development?
    React is the good and smart choice. Pair it with Redux for extra points.

Be careful with Redux, if you attempt to be a purist and keep every bit of your application state in the Redux store it will slow your development time way down with extra boilerplate and more abstractions to wrap your head around. Making every component in your React application a pure component isn't too practical.

• MadpoetMadpoet Registered User regular
    It used to be developers could goof off during compile time, but modern systems compile so quickly that there is no longer even enough time to go get a proper cup of tea.
    This has led to techniques such as Test Driven Development, which allow the developer breaks under the guise of "Running my test suite".

• DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    the only long breaks we get in our dev/test/deploy cycle is waiting for a few specific deploy jobs to pass. a full local testing cycle takes about 40 seconds and, honestly, that's a super slow number that we're always trying to improve.

and 90% of that deploy job is waiting on AWS environments to reconfigure

• SavgeSavge Indecisive Registered User regular
    I'm working on a React app and I am wondering if anyone here knows how I would go about creating a PDF client side and rendering it for a user to print?

• KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    Madpoet wrote: »
    It used to be developers could goof off during compile time, but modern systems compile so quickly that there is no longer even enough time to go get a proper cup of tea.
    This has led to techniques such as Test Driven Development, which allow the developer breaks under the guise of "Running my test suite".

Unless you work on embedded systems. Then you get the whole compile, deploy, cold start up and wait for results cycle to goof off.

And if you're doing custom logic on FPGAs? Hello 12 hour build and test times.

• EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited June 2016

Right now I'm troubleshooting 2FA stuff that gets stuck mid-way in the integration tests and I have to dump and re-migrate the database each time to make sure I start with a clean slate and see if I made any progress. :rotate:

edit: nope, no test fixtures for the data here.

Echo on
  • zeenyzeeny Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    Savge wrote: »
    Does anyone know of any formal development methodologies or disciplines for solo programmers? A lot of stuff out there like Agile is meant for coordinating teams of people and keeping everyone on track, but a lot of that stuff is kind of ridiculous if you're just working on some side project by yourself.

What ends up happening is I make some plans then just sit down and write code and keep a list sometimes of small things I need to do, but I find myself getting off track all the time and sometimes I end up not knowing what I should do next or how to choose what to do next.

Kanban is what I do on everything personal. It's initially hard, but it's worth it.

zeeny on
  • InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    I'm working on a React app and I am wondering if anyone here knows how I would go about creating a PDF client side and rendering it for a user to print?

https://parall.ax/products/jspdf

OrokosPA.png
  • SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    Ugh, so my current company doesn't pay out vacation, and they also have a section in the employee handbook that says an employee can't take vacation once they give notice they're leaving.

Dick move, guys. I'm regretting being nice and giving 3 weeks notice, now.

Steam: Spawnbroker
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Ugh, so my current company doesn't pay out vacation, and they also have a section in the employee handbook that says an employee can't take vacation once they give notice they're leaving.

yeah you take your vacation before you give notice

duh

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
    bowen wrote: »

duh

My company also has a policy that any vacation has to be approved 2 weeks in advance.

There are a lot of reasons I am leaving this company.

edited June 2016

duh

My company also has a policy that any vacation has to be approved 2 weeks in advance.

"hi my mom just died, I need to use my time for bereavement"

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular

duh

"hi my mom just died, I need to use my time for bereavement"

"oh and also my mom owned her own business which I need to take over immediately so this is my two week notice"

• Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular

There's also building Docker containers/deploying to AWS.

I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • mightyjongyomightyjongyo Sour Crrm East Bay, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    xpost from job thread, but we're finally going to flip the switch on forcing automated module testing. I sent out an email on the makefile convention and told people to get their shit together by end of month. I was talking to my boss about it just now:
    (05:32:52 PM) me: gonna auto turn on at end of month
    (05:34:54 PM) boss: you know half of the people arent going to do it
    (05:34:59 PM) me: yeep
    (05:35:02 PM) boss: and its all going to come crashing down
    (05:35:10 PM) me: expecting it, yea
    (05:35:16 PM) me: gonna be a fun shitshow
    (05:35:23 PM) me: might be on vacation that week :P
    (05:35:28 PM) me: : sink or swim, suckers
    (05:35:39 PM) boss: dont you dare
    (05:35:42 PM) me: hahaha

• ecco the dolphinecco the dolphin Registered User regular
    You glorious bastard.

Penny Arcade Developers at PADev.net.
    What the heck, these integration tests run against the local dev database instead of a separate test database with clean data. Spent 30 minutes wondering why that test wasn't going through. Yeah, going to yell about that.

• Baron DirigibleBaron Dirigible Registered User regular
    Be careful with Redux, if you attempt to be a purist and keep every bit of your application state in the Redux store it will slow your development time way down with extra boilerplate and more abstractions to wrap your head around. Making every component in your React application a pure component isn't too practical.
    Not being snarky, but can you give some examples of this boilerplate and abstraction? I genuinely think Redux is small and unobtrusive enough that this should be the absolute least of your concerns.

(I can understand the boilerplate argument if you haven't yet discovered connect() in the react-redux library. That changed my Redux experience entirely.)

Gah, Bootstrap tooltips that move out of position when scrollbars appear on the page.

So, GitKraken has a new fun bug where if for some reason staging a file takes time, it eats the file and decides that you wanted to stage the new empty file. 8->

• gavindelgavindel The reason all your software is brokenRegistered User regular
    A fully functional, up to date example of code is worth it's freaking weight in gold, I swear.

Take a picture when you find one or your friends at the pub won't believe you.

Book - Royal road - Free! Seraphim === TTRPG - Wuxia - Free! Seln Alora
    Mocha + Chai + Enzyme is a really nice combo for TDD in React.
    it('renders something', () => {
      const wrapper = shallow(<Unit unitData={testProfile} />)
      expect(wrapper).to.have.tagName('ul')
    })

it('renders a unit profile', () => {
      const wrapper = mount(<Unit unitData={testProfile} />)
      expect(wrapper.find('.profile').length).to.be.at.least(1)
    })

• KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    Why would you write a data transmission spec that allows arbitrary byte lengths for integers? This is the stupidest idea I have ever seen. Who cares if you have one byte of all zeros. But nope, let's go ahead and drop that byte so we can have a 3-byte integer. That makes total sense to have a bizarre, convoluted parsing and transmission scheme for a low-volume data feed.

I need a stabbing knife.

• EtheaEthea Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    Why would you write a data transmission spec that allows arbitrary byte lengths for integers? This is the stupidest idea I have ever seen. Who cares if you have one byte of all zeros. But nope, let's go ahead and drop that byte so we can have a 3-byte integer. That makes total sense to have a bizarre, convoluted parsing and transmission scheme for a low-volume data feed.

I need a stabbing knife.

Dear lord that is a horrible idea. It is like somebody tried to roll compression into a transmission spec in all the wrong ways.

Edit:
    Plus how do they signal how many bytes they dropped?

Ethea on
  • iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular
    Ethea wrote: »

I need a stabbing knife.

Dear lord that is a horrible idea. It is like somebody tried to roll compression into a transmission spec in all the wrong ways.

Edit:

When you get the wrong number, you'll know. :rotate:

I need a stabbing knife.

Edit:

They added a two-bit length field at the beginning of each data field.

:rotate:

• EtheaEthea Registered User regular

I need a stabbing knife.

Edit:

They added a two-bit length field at the beginning of each data field.

:rotate:

Oh that is hilarious, so it can't handle 64bit integer types(or cant drop more than 4bytes). If you are going to drop bytes and need to support 32/64 I think you would be better off using a 4bit type field before hand. That would allow you to specify if the field is a native 8,16,32,64 field and also how many bytes on the wire the value uses.

And it's unaligned data access so performance is expectedly shitty.

lots of java work in colorado

anyone have anything I can read up on unit testing with java?

Man, this background check is nuts.

I feel like they're gonna find out I called my fifth grade teacher a bad name that one time and it disqualifies me. This is more invasive than security clearance background checks I've had before.

• Grape ApeGrape Ape Registered User regular
    lots of java work in colorado

anyone have anything I can read up on unit testing with java?

We used a combination of Mockito and JUnit to handle the vast majority of our unit testing. Powermock had some edgecase uses for us as well, but I'll be damned if I can remember what.

• djmitchelladjmitchella Registered User regular
    agh, I always forget how _heavy_ server-side java is. I have a 52-deep call stack made of factories and factoryproxies and constructorinjector and constructorbindingimplfactories and scopes$1$1 (whatever on earth that is)

Somewhere in there is the line I want. Which one is it? Is it even in code? No, it is in development.properties. Which, of course, doesn't default to getting searched by Eclipse because it doesn't end in .java, which is why I couldn't find the property name I was after.

I'm sure eventually I will have done this enough times that it'll become familiar and I'll remember this stuff more quickly, but I am not there yet..

• iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular
    So I just learned the most funnest thing...

Got an email from BitBucket/Atlassian that they'd forced a password reset on my account because of some suspicious activity, etc etc. So I reset it and I've been enabling 2FA wherever I can this morning. While doing so I found out that my bank doesn't support it (I'm not surprised, banks usually suck at online things), so I asked on Twitter whether other/most banks have it. Someone responded that most don't, and "Chase still wraps passwords in toLower()."

I thought "no fucking way." So I tried it with my Chase CC account, and lo and behold: apparently passwords on Chase's websites are case-insensitive. Which just seems radically fucking stupid. I mean, I guess you can say "oh that's not mathematically concerning" but uhhh, that pretty much goes against everything I've ever heard about decent password management/storage.

Why would Chase's developers (or the monkeys they contracted out to) even do that?! THIS MAKES NO SENSE! :rotate:

So I just learned the most funnest thing...

Got an email from BitBucket/Atlassian that they'd forced a password reset on my account because of some suspicious activity, etc etc. So I reset it and I've been enabling 2FA wherever I can this morning. While doing so I found out that my bank doesn't support it (I'm not surprised, banks usually suck at online things), so I asked on Twitter whether other/most banks have it. Someone responded that most don't, and "Chase still wraps passwords in toLower()."

I thought "no fucking way." So I tried it with my Chase CC account, and lo and behold: apparently passwords on Chase's websites are case-insensitive. Which just seems radically fucking stupid. I mean, I guess you can say "oh that's not mathematically concerning" but uhhh, that pretty much goes against everything I've ever heard about decent password management/storage.

Why would Chase's developers (or the monkeys they contracted out to) even do that?! THIS MAKES NO SENSE! :rotate:

CEO probably didn't like it when he forgot caps lock was on, when he fired off the email yelling at people, and he couldn't log into his bank account.

Tolower doesn't exclude bad password hashing or anything. Just that you're reducing entropy of possible matches.

• DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    have any of y'all done pair programming? This edX software engineering class (CS169) that I'm taking basically requires it. I haven't tried it out yet. By nature I'd probably prefer not to do it but I'm hopeful that it won't be too bad.

Also, Cloud9 is a pretty sweet online IDE. It supports a bunch of languages and is also well suited to pair programming.

If you've got someone you like working with, it's amazing.

If it's a random fuckaroo in a class, it might not be so great (they may not be skillfull enough, or you might not, etc)

Yeah, if there's a big skill disparity, it's a bad time.

If both are of roughly equal skill/experience level (and knowledge of the code base), it's good.

• LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    Blizzard made Battle.net passwords case insensitive some years back too.

Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
  • djmitchelladjmitchella Registered User regular

For a long time (though not any more, thankfully), TD Bank had an 8-character limit on passwords for online banking..

My bank used to have a 6-char limit.

No more. No less. Six characters. :rotate:

This discussion has been closed.