As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

SE++ reads a book about City++, getting into that breach [Ch6]

ZoelZoel I suppose... I'd put it onRegistered User regular
edited June 2016 in Social Entropy++
Lets read together
Books. They're great. I even read one once! On this amazing qualification I have taken over the SE++ book club.

Things we will not read:

Finnegan's Wake by James Joyce-- There's actually a book club devoted to this book and only this book! They've been working on it for 18 years! I'm sure they're lonely, so give them a call if you're so inclined. (I actually own this book. I'm not sure how. I think I had bad influences in college.)

A Theory of Justice, by John Rawls-- This is a problematic book to read for a book club because the book itself makes a compelling philosophical argument for why you shouldn't make other people read it. However, it is worth noting that it does so without appealing to a utilitarian or libertarian argument, therefore

shut up, Zoel

Ok sorry.

What we will read:
d8A74fV.jpg

What is it about? I have no idea! This is exciting. It's like buying a gift for yourself. If you don't already have it then something something support local bookstores something something ebooks are cheap. This book was brought to you by DEMOCRACY, one of the most over rated values ever comprehended by mankind:
kLNpKux.png

Ok Zoel, so, how does this work?

Ok basically we follow a set of agreed upon principles that I am imposing on you as benevolent dictator.

1. Do not spoil chapters we haven't read. There's an embargo on any part that we haven't gotten around to reading yet. I can't actually enforce this in any way, however, you will feel guilty! Why? Because I'm adorable. How could you do that to me?

2. I'll indicate how many chapters we're reading and indicate at what date we can talk about them. If stuff happens and you want to catch up later hey whatever, this isn't school or your job or something. The important thing is that you don't break the embargo.

3. If you're SUPER EXTRA ENTHUSIASTIC you should come prepared with some sort of question or analysis that will break minds when we finish the part we're on. But if you don't that's ok too.

4. Concidentally there's no embargo on chapters 1 and 2 because that would be silly. We need to give Raijin time to complain about this right off the bat. The embargo on Chapters 3 through 6 lifts on 06/24/16 at midnight just like we were waiting in line to get a new copy of Windows 95.

A magician gives you a ring that, when worn, will let you see the world as it truly is.
However, the ring will never leave your finger, and you will be unable to ever describe to another living person what you see.
Zoel on

• RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    That chapter 4-7 embargo date is two days ago, this book club is garbage and werewolves are just dogs wearing pants which isn't scary, it's adorable

8406wWN.png
  • Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    edited June 2016
    Wait what? There were like...quite a few more people interested that hadn't voted yet. And it was a tie between 2 books last time I checked. I figured we'd vote for 24 hours at least.

EDIT: I mean, I voted for both this one and The Water Knife so I'd be cool with reading either. I just didn't think we were done deciding.

Goose! on
  • ZoelZoel I suppose... I'd put it on Registered User regular
    i fixed the date

if there's a revolt i am tiny and weak and can't stop it but i thought we did wait over that time frame

A magician gives you a ring that, when worn, will let you see the world as it truly is.
    However, the ring will never leave your finger, and you will be unable to ever describe to another living person what you see.
  • Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    edited June 2016
    The poll only went up 6 hours ago. The waiting was because Raijin had gotten busy and didn't have a chance to get a poll up.

EDIT: Link to poll in question: http://goo.gl/forms/XvzD6s9MkVDFlhbU2

Goose! on
  • RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    okay fine book clubs can be pretty rad

but dogs wearing pants is the best

DogInPants2.jpg

I am were wolf.

Gwowl.

8406wWN.png
  • TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular

DogInPants2.jpg

I am were wolf.

Gwowl.

But Rank.

He isn't wearing those pants correctly.

wow I am literally losing my sense of time

i somehow thought I voted on that last night

ok i will edit this

• OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    you said no Finnegan's Wake, but you didn't say no to Ulysses!

Uriel wrote: »

DogInPants2.jpg

I am were wolf.

Gwowl.

But Rank.

He isn't wearing those pants correctly.

Don't you start that shit.

8406wWN.png
  • A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    What if we have a Wishbone watching club instead?

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
    edited June 2016
    Goose! on
  • WhippyWhippy Moderator, Admin Emeritus Admin Emeritus
    Ok sure I'll read this book, what's the worst that could happen*

*this is a real question oh god please someone tell me

Look, we'll settle this stupid debate here and now:

DogInPants2.jpg

Werewolf. Adorable.

10251419_429233237231954_238648957_n.jpg

Also werewolf. Also adorable.

This-is-how-dogs-should-be-wearing-pants2-830x541.jpg

Not werewolf. Nerdlinger. Shame hound.

8406wWN.png
    Oh hey Whippy, sup.

8406wWN.png
    That last one looks like a tracksuit too. I am crying I'm laughing so hard.

Whippy wrote: »

@whippy don't do it yet i messed up and you might blame me for the rest of your life

please forgive me

You know who wears track suits?

Mafia stereotypes, you bigot.

8406wWN.png
  • OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular

You know who wears track suits?

Mafia stereotypes, you bigot.

or doctors

Dogs wearing clothes is almost always adorable, is what is important here.

You see these dogs?

2016-01-31%20-%20the%20dog%20pants%20debate%20is%20over.png

They voted for Kasich.

8406wWN.png
    568c22ac160000b300eba0c5.jpeg

This dog hates Barack Hussein Obama.

A lot of dogs leave out the Hussein, but he thinks it's super important.

8406wWN.png
    This dog knows what time it is.

baggy.gif

8406wWN.png
    okay okay now talk about your dang book

I've proven my point

8406wWN.png
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Oh dang an SE++ book club? i was looking for an excuse to read more this sounds neat.

I'm finally getting around to reading The Wise Man's Fear.

You all should read that. It's a book.

8406wWN.png
    If for some reason you already bought that other book by mistake due to my error

regardless of whether or not we choose it I will give you something of equal or double value

assuming you aren't being a dirty dirty liar because don't be that, man! comon!

I'm finally getting around to reading The Wise Man's Fear.

You all should read that. It's a book.

I'ts pretty good. Goes off the wall a few times though.

Also I really wish I had time to do a book club thing. Actually maybe if I can come in late on it and catch up around next month?

• PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    matt on a scale of 1 to wesley willis, how drunk are you at this very second

PiptheFair wrote: »
    matt on a scale of 1 to wesley willis, how drunk are you at this very second

Special Agent Dale Cooper

8406wWN.png
    I was thinking we'd read both of the top 2 vote getters. #1 first, then #2. Then maybe take more suggestions.

hey pip you know what I did a couple weeks ago?

I saw the murder junkies play

8406wWN.png
  • Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I'm glad my book club idea turned into this thread which contains many pics of dogs wearing pants.

hey pip you know what I did a couple weeks ago?

I saw the murder junkies play

hell yeah son

• PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular

You could get aroused

• ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    Psykoma wrote: »

You could get aroused

good thing y'all aren't reading Tampa

Shorty wrote: »

You could get aroused

I work in tampa, how can I help you

• ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular

You could get aroused

I don't know man, how much do you know about pedophilia

You could get aroused

I don't know man, how much do you know about pedophilia

you a cop?

you know what I'm not comfortable continuing this

what is Tampa?

Tampa is a work of fiction about a woman who becomes a middle school teacher so she can have sex with boys

it's basically meant to address a lot of the gross/weird double standards we have about sexual abuse of boys by women, among other things