As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

SE++ reads a book about City++, getting into that breach [Ch6]

• Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    no but really what is a "Tampa"

I've heard of it but I still have questions

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    Do we need to vote again or is it the same poll from last thread?

• Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    Same poll

• Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    Dang it, @Fearghaill, choose up to 3

• PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    no but really what is a "Tampa"

I've heard of it but I still have questions
    The word "Tampa" may mean "sticks of fire" in the language of the Calusa, a Native American tribe that once lived south of today's Tampa Bay. This might be a reference to the many lightning strikes that the area receives during the summer months. Other historians claim the name means "the place to gather sticks".[21] Toponymist George R. Stewart writes that the name was the result of a miscommunication between the Spanish and the Indians, the Indian word being "itimpi", meaning simply "near it".[22] The name first appears in the "Memoir" of Hernando de Escalante Fontaneda (1575), who had spent 17 years as a Calusa captive. He calls it "Tanpa" and describes it as an important Calusa town. While "Tanpa" may be the basis for the modern name "Tampa", archaeologist Jerald Milanich places the Calusa village of Tanpa at the mouth of Charlotte Harbor, the original "Bay of Tanpa". A later Spanish expedition did not notice Charlotte Harbor while sailing north along the west coast of Florida and assumed that the current Tampa Bay was the bay they sought. The name was accidentally transferred north.[23] Map makers were using the term Bay or Bahia Tampa as early as 1695.[24]

People from Tampa are known as "Tampans" or "Tampanians". Local authorities consulted by Michael Kruse of the Tampa Bay Times suggest that "Tampan" was historically more common, while "Tampanian" became popular when the former term came to be seen as a potential insult.[5] Latin Americans from Tampa are known as "tampeños", or "tampeñas" for females. These terms of Spanish origin emerged after 1900 for the immigrant communities in West Tampa and Ybor City. The tampeño, or "Tampa Latin", community is a mix of Cuban, Italian, Spanish, and American influences, with Cuban influence being dominant.[5][25][26]

• ZoelZoel I suppose... I'd put it on Registered User regular
    don't tell him what to do

that's not how democracy works

if he doesn't want to vote he doesn't have to

stop imposing your desire for everyone to vote for the lesser of two evils

A magician gives you a ring that, when worn, will let you see the world as it truly is.
    However, the ring will never leave your finger, and you will be unable to ever describe to another living person what you see.
    He picked seven

That doesn't make any sense. Seven is a movie.

A magician gives you a ring that, when worn, will let you see the world as it truly is.
    However, the ring will never leave your finger, and you will be unable to ever describe to another living person what you see.
  • Sir FabulousSir Fabulous Malevolent Squid God Registered User regular
    No, you're thinking of SeSevenven.

pickup-sig.php?name=Orthanc

Switch Friend Code: SW-1406-1275-7906
  • Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    No, you're thinking of SeSevenven.

I think that's a Phil Collins song.

• sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    I'm saying no to Ulysses.

• UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    edited June 2016
    HdIKyaEt.jpg

UnbrokenEva on
    Fearghaill wrote: »
    HdIKyaEt.jpg

So you have chosen... DEATH.

• WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Can we have a Book Club Thread Club?

Where we discuss the thread that's discussing the book?

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
    Presumably you could just do that in here.

• WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    But I don't want to talk about the book, I want to discuss the thread discussing the book, without it being cluttered by book discussion!

( I mostly just haven't slept and am being a huge weirdo)

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Some people are only going to want to participate in the thread about the book and not read the book itself, and we don't want to spoil them on the book so we need to have a strict spoiler policy to keep discussion of the book and discussion of the thread separate.
    :P

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    This thread has terrible writing. And the characters are 2 dimensional at best.

Gvzbgul on
    Your writing has a terrible thread.

• XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    so do I have to revote?

and where is the link to the results?

You don't have to revote. I don't have a link on mobile but I can tell you that the city and the city and the water knife are tied with 8 and the dark currents is right behind with 7.

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1i0Jc40nwEw75k7rqSI7Rsve9LrMJmRU01UiCeLFoe5w/viewanalytics?usp=form_confirm

The water knife and the city and the city are still tied with 8 and dark currents has 7.

guys when I wake up there is going to be so much reading to be had oh man

you have no ideaaaa

• UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    Want to scrap/ignore my vote and I'll do it properly?

• Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Nooooo! Not China Mieville!

• HermanoHermano Registered User regular
    I'd like to vote for China Mieville please

PSN- AHermano
  • PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    If we read China Mieville, I might join iin

Hermano...my first friend, my enemy... If I throw away my shot...

If you were looking at cheapest option, both books are $12 on Kindle, but The Water Knife is $9.52 in paperback while The City & the City is $11.11.

Or we could do a runoff or a coin flip.

• HermanoHermano Registered User regular
    Hermano...my first friend, my enemy... If I throw away my shot...

It's a really good book! Also it's written pretty differently from Perdido so you might like it more?

Also this is the thread where it happens I guess

PSN- AHermano
    edited June 2016
    If it gets picked I'll read it.

But I'm going to whine if I don't like it!

Raijin Quickfoot on
    The most perfect troll: the idea started by Raijin decides on a book by an author Raijin hates.

ok i woke up time to tally

i'm going to tally now because if i give people any more last chances we're going to end up with a tie again

Looks like:

kLNpKux.png

Son of a bitch! :p

• PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    So our deadline for reading up to chapter 6 is the 24th?

• Sir FabulousSir Fabulous Malevolent Squid God Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    So the book I nominated won that means I'm the best at books, right?

Sir Fabulous on
    pickup-sig.php?name=Orthanc

Switch Friend Code: SW-1406-1275-7906
    So the book I nominated won that means I'm the best at books, right?

Yes. Congratulations.
    Psykoma wrote: »
    So our deadline for reading up to chapter 6 is the 24th?

I like to think of it as a life line.

• tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    tynic wrote: »
    Good choice!

suck it, @Raijin Quickfoot

Et tu, Tynic?

• PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    Clarification needed, is that inclusive of chapter 6 or exclusive?

Psykoma on