As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Empire of the Ghouls

DMACDMAC Come at me, bro!Moderator mod
edited November 2007 in Artist's Corner
I got permission to post my work from another RPG project. These are from a book called Empire of the Ghouls by Wolfgang Baur. It was done on a patron/sponsor system with people buying the book in advance and then having input on the process. Kind of interesting. I'm currently working on some pieces for another book that's going to have an Arabian Nights vibe to it.

More info can be found here: http://wolfgangbaur.com/opendesign/

Anyway, on to the monsters...

Vulture Sphinx:

vulturesphinxfinal.jpg

The Last King:

lastkingfinal.jpg

Gnomish Vampire:

gnomepirefinal.jpg

Deathcap Myconid:

myconidfinal.jpg

I'll try to post some of my initial sketches and pencil drawings later.

DMAC on

• Options
    NotASenatorNotASenator Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    The anatomy on that deathcap is way off. You should lurk more and see what other people are doing and then try again, because that is really a poor excuse for a myconid.

NotASenator on
  • Options
    DMACDMAC Come at me, bro! Moderator mod
    edited November 2007
    I tried to get mushrooms to pose nude for me.

DMAC on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    That's hot.

Also, the art style, color saturation, etc are consistent and I think that's really important for doing a rpg book. You want everything to feel like it exists in the same world.

NotASenator on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    You know what my favorite thing about these is? I used the default spatter brush in Photoshop to do the mud spatters on the King's and vampire's cloaks and I think it worked really well. It's nice when things work out better than you expected once in a while.

DMAC on
  • Options
    TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Lookin' good DMAC.

Tonkka on
    Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    DMAC wrote: »
    You know what my favorite thing about these is? I used the default spatter brush in Photoshop to do the mud spatters on the King's and vampire's cloaks and I think it worked really well. It's nice when things work out better than you expected once in a while.

Just because I haven't experimented much outside the defaults, I don't know as much about other possibilities for brushes.

Do you have a custom set of brushes you normally use?

NotASenator on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    I've found a couple of custom brush sets that I use pretty frequently. There's a batch by a guy who goes by EraserX that I use a lot but his site seems to be down right now.

DMAC on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    DMAC, I'm looking at your site and I really heart your work. It's all superduper and stuff.

NotASenator on
  • Options
    NibCromNibCrom Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    DMAC, you're stuff is always good, but I'm seriously impressed with these. Awesome coloring.

NibCrom on
  • Options
    ph00lph00l Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Great as always, cept the thumb shading on the Gnomish Vampire looks really odd to me. Perhaps it's my darn imagination acting up again. (I'm out of my antimagination pills).

ph00l on
    I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy.
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I like the first two, but the last two are a little too... whimsical for my tastes. This is probaly more a criticism of Wolfgang's book than your artwork, but it's difficult to imagine a scary gnome, and the fellow above just looks more absurd than imposing.

The Myconid is better, but still looks a little silly since the size of the mouth makes it look like a face with hands and feet attached. If it's not such a serious threat then I guess that's appropriate, but if he's supposed to be as intimidating as possible then a little less exaggeration on the face/mouth area might help.

But that's just stylistic stuff. Technically, all of this is first-rate stuff, DMAC.

Brolo on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    I don't think I could draw a vampire gnome or an undead mushroom person and not have them be at least a little funny.

My scary stuff isn't really all that scary. It's more "Jim Henson's Creature Shop" scary.

DMAC on
  • Options
    TimTheSlothTimTheSloth Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    There is nothing scarier than The Dark Crystal, I had a poster on my wall as a kid and it would creep me out at night.

TimTheSloth on
    redtidesig1.jpg
  • Options
    CheerfulBearCheerfulBear Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    The gnomish vampire kind of looks like he's hoarsely whispering, "caaaaaaaaake."

Edit: Which, as we know, is a lie. Please fix this, DMAC.

CheerfulBear on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Fixed. Now he's wispering, "haaaaaaaaam."

DMAC on
  • Options
    CheerfulBearCheerfulBear Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    See DMAC, with a little bit of inspiration you can make all your drawings top-notch!

Way to go, kiddo! ;-)

CheerfulBear on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    I aim to please.

Here's a process shot of the Myconid piece showing the pencils, flats, and final colors:

myconidprocess.jpg

Fuck you, H-scroll!

DMAC on
  • Options
    HeartlashHeartlash Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    That pencil work

is

awesome.

Heartlash on
    My indie mobile gaming studio: Elder Aeons
    Our first game is now available for free on Google Play: Frontier: Isle of the Seven Gods
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Thank you. Here are the pencils for the vampire gnome and the myconid a little larger:

ghouls1.jpg

DMAC on
  • Options
    RusticCreatureRusticCreature Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Are these "digital" pencils? And if not, why come you purplefied them.

I demand answers!

RusticCreature on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    No, they're colored pencils. I do most of my pencil drawings with Sanford col-erase and Berol Verithin in terra cotta and Tuscan red.

DMAC on
  • Options
    srsizzysrsizzy Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Okay, those better all be erasable. If you are drawing some of this and not erasing at all...well then I assume you're probably drawing it more than once. If you are doing neither then...damn it.

srsizzy on
    BRO LET ME GET REAL WITH YOU AND SAY THAT MY FINGERS ARE PREPPED AND HOT LIKE THE SURFACE OF THE SUN TO BRING RADICAL BEATS SO SMOOTH THE SHIT WILL BE MEDICINAL-GRADE TRIPNASTY MAKING ALL BRAINWAVES ROLL ON THE SURFACE OF A BALLS-FEISTY NEURAL RAINBOW CRACKA-LACKIN' YOUR PERCEPTION OF THE HERE-NOW SPACE-TIME SITUATION THAT ALL OF LIFE BE JAMMED UP IN THROUGH THE UNIVERSAL FLOW BEATS
  • Options
    ManonvonSuperockManonvonSuperock Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    i like the pencils a lot. even more so than the finals.

not that there's anything wrong with the finals. they are just more processed and plasticy than i normally dig.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • Options
    earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Whoa. Even more super than usual. Impossible!!!

earthwormadam on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    I usually do rough pencils and then print those out and trace over them on a light table to do my final pencils.

This was the cover of Wolfgang Baur's Kobold Quarterly #1.

Here are my rough pencils:

koboldrough2.jpg

And here's the final piece:

koboldfinal.jpg

DMAC on
  • Options
    ph00lph00l Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I think your work could be greatly served with a background, regardless how sparse. They all seem to be standing in white which is by no means bad, but I think it would add a lot to the work if they were in some sort of environment (life when you did Kit Fisto).

ph00l on
    I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy.
  • Options
    earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Whoa. The lighting and colors are out of control!

earthwormadam on