As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[pbp] Ruins of Undermountain (D&D 5e) - ADVENTURE OVER!!! Thanks for Playing!

• Options
    FuselageFuselage Oosik Jumpship LoungeRegistered User regular
    DaMoonRulz wrote: »
    What if I take the Bag of Statistics character background?

That sounds like it falls under the Sage background.

o4n72w5h9b5y.png
  • Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    Fuselage wrote: »
    DaMoonRulz wrote: »
    What if I take the Bag of Statistics character background?

That sounds like it falls under the Sage background.

No, Sage falls under the Scarborough Faire background

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    evilthecatevilthecat Registered User regular
    ok, my character is just about done, just as a pre-fyi:

tiefling sorcerer, dragonic, I'll have it finished up latest tomorrow morning with a .. concise .. background.

tip.. tip.. TALLY.. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    Wouldn't any weapon a monk is proficient in be a monk weapon?

To clarify: this is just a musing and not a game mechanics questions

DaMoonRulz on
    3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options

o4n72w5h9b5y.png
  • Options
    am0nam0n Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    Because I've had an urge to try a monk and this seems like a great way to see one die quickly. I'll work on adding this to Myth Weaver.

Name: Ay
    Race: Wood Elf
    Class: Monk
    Str: 12 (+1)
    Con: 14 (+2)
    Dex: 16 (+3)
    Int: 8 (-1)
    Wis: 16 (+3)
    Cha: 8 (-1)
    Background: Custom {Feature: By Popular Demand, Gladiator Variant, from Entertainer Background}
    Armor: None
    Weapons: Simple weapons, shortswords, longswords, shortbows, longbows
    Tools: Tinkerer's Tools (Class), Thieves' Tools (Background)
    Languages: Common (Race), Elven (Race), Orc (Background)
    Skills: Acrobatics (Background), Athletics (Class), Insight (Background), Perception (Race), Stealth (Class)
    Hit Dice: 3, 1d8+2
    Hit Points: 24 (10 Starting, 5+2 each additional level)
    Speed: 45 ft.
    Proficiency Bonus: +2
    Saving Throws: Strength, Dexterity
    AC: 16
    Attack: +5
    Damage: 1d8+3 (Quarterstaff), 1d4+3 (Unarmed), 1d4+3 (Thrown)
    Ki Points: 3
    Features: Fey Ancestry, Darkvision, Trance, Mask of the Wild, Deflect Missiles, Open Hand Technique
    Monastic Tradition: Way of the Open Hand
    Equipment: Quarterstaff, Darts x10, Shortsword, Dungeoneer's Pack, Potion of Healing x2, Tinkerer's Tools, Thieves' Tools, 15 gp

Traits:
    * Open-Minded: Ay considers all sentient creatures capable of reason and trust. As such, he's willing to give most creatures the opportunity to prove themselves before assuming the worst.
    * Dance, Dance, Revolution: Ay has a particular love for good music and dance. Even if he's the only one dancing and everyone else is laughing. Fortunately, children appreciate his goofiness. Unfortunately, his dance moves have likely cost him more than one romantic encounter.
    * Brawler: Ay has tried to couple his martial abilities and his "entertaining" dance to earn money. When possible, he enters into fighting matches to earn coin, using his dancing to add a level of humor to a normally serious event. This has worked out well in the sense that it tends to bring a few more spectators and earn the event host a larger purse (that he's shared with Ay). However, sometimes he goes overboard and it results in a painful loss. Either way, he gets to practice both things he loves; fighting and dancing.
    * Studious: Ay understands that his martial ability is for more than just show. He spends significant time not only practicing his forms, body discipline and reactions, but continuing to study, either by watching others fight or reading about anatomy or philosophy relating to combat. He realizes that in life or death situations, discipline and efficiency is necessary if he is going to stay alive without killing another.
    Ideals:
    * Ay doesn't believing in killing any sentient creature unless absolutely necessary (i.e. failure to do so would result in his own death, or the death of an innocent). As such, he refused to use any kind of bladed weapon in combat, as he feels it is too easy to kill someone with a bladed weapon. By relying on his staff, well placed darts, or bare hands, he feels the added difficulty to take someone's life gives more opportunity to change his mind and take an alternate path.
    Flaws:
    * Ay finds himself drawn to protect children. He believes in the innocence of childhood and believes all children should have the opportunity to be free, to play and have fun. He's donated both money and time to orphanages to help those children without. His internal duty to children could prove an easy lever to force him into actions he otherwise would not do.

http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=852381

am0n on
  • Options
    One question; is there an expected or desired amount of posting per day?

• Options
    SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    I'm not going to try and dictate the amount that anyone should post per day or whatever. Its silly to try to impose some sort of quota and destined to fail anyway. I would desire players to post regularly though, of course.

The more you put into a game, the better the results would be for everyone involved, right? Active players would have more fun that inactive players, etc.. So why be an inactive player? As long as the pace of the game keeps moving then I will be happy.

Also...if the pace does start to lag (and of course it will), I would be annoying and start @'ing people to participate :)

Steelhawk on
  • Options
    I'm gonna go with a Half-Orc Warpriest. I wish they had Warpriest domains from 4e :cry: . Sehanine, I've failed you!

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    PhaserlightPhaserlight Boca Raton, FLRegistered User regular
    I'm interested in this. It looks like you have your 5 already, though. It's also worth noting that I've never, ever rolled a D&D character before.

I'll be waiting in the wings, I guess?

Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    That's just a list of current applications.

We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    Absolutely...that's just a list mostly to help me keep all the submissions front and centre in my mind.

If you are interested in playing, then please feel free to submit a character!

• Options
    Aegis wrote: »
    That's just a list of current applications.

WTB: Healer Henchman.

• Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    BSSLfjc.jpg

Dural Melairkyn, Dwarf NG Oath of Ancients Paladin 3

All dwarves whisper of Undermountain. Some reluctantly, for they would rather forget the downfall of one of their own and the shame for what the depths of the mountain and mines became. Others whisper in caution, as a tale to tell unruly children who don't obey their elders, or dig too deep too quickly, of the horrors that will come out of Undermountain and steal them down beneath the ground. Still others whisper of gold, of mithral, of treasure; that Undermountain is in fact a long forgotten hoard of a lost dwarven clan that is sitting there waiting to be delved and that the monsters and horrors of the depths are exaggerated to keep other dwarves from claiming the treasure for themselves. These whispers are generally regarded as lunacy.

Dural shuddered when thinking of these last kind of dwarves. He could not imagine how the rest of his kind left the mountain to rot in darkness and evil for generations, let alone think only of riches or fame when faced with the prospect of returning back beneath the mountain. For him, the only return to Undermountain for his kind would be borne out of a sense of responsibility for reclaiming what was lost to the dark.

His family had long grown up on the outskirts of civilization, castoffs from the original survivors of the Melairkyn that fled from Undermountain so long ago. Moving from mining town to mining town, they found work as delvers, trailblazers, and the like, supporting the efforts of others to eek out a living. Dural himself found work in a similar hodgepodge fashion: from being the first into old abandoned mines, charting safe passageways and marking off collapsed or mined out areas; to signing on as a caravan guard, protecting the occasional shipments to larger centres that kept these outlying communities afloat. In his later years he even helped guide greenhorn adventurers through the wilderness surrounding some of these communities and the upper levels of mines they sword held lost dungeons (they never did, and they never listened to him telling them beforehand they never did).

All of this in Dural's mind was just preparation. He needed to prepare himself for the journey to come, to make sure that he was ready for Undermountain if he was to have any hope of bringing laughter, of the sound of picks clanging against rock, back beneath Waterdeep's feet. And so, one day, he picked up his hammer, his axe, his pack full of provisions and set out towards the City of Splendors. Reaching the Yawning Portal, he strode inside, and headed directly towards the Entry Well without a glance sideways to anyone else.

"If any of y'actually hold a measure of courage and determination about you," the pack-laden dwarf exclaimed as he rested his warhammer head first (and with an audible clang) upon the edge of the well, leaning on it as he looked about the crowd, "And y'aren't those whose eyes grown ten-times their size upon seeing a gold coin. Then I'd be willing to entertain the possibility that y'd help me rid these depths of the dark and deadly."

Characters
  • Options
    I'm interested in this. It looks like you have your 5 already, though. It's also worth noting that I've never, ever rolled a D&D character before.

I'll be waiting in the wings, I guess?

Make a character, they won't all survive the night.

o4n72w5h9b5y.png
  • Options
    dresdenphiledresdenphile Watch out for snakes!Registered User regular
    What gods are in play for divine characters? I have an older character I could repurpose, but I just wanted to make sure it's not out of line.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    *shrug* The standard pantheon of Realmsian gods. I'm not too fussy on your choice of deity.

Steelhawk on
  • Options
    NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    might i suggest this deity then...

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • Options
    astrobstrdastrobstrd So full of mercy... Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    Geth roll 6#4d6k3

edit: seems good. One fighter/warlock coming up.

6#4d6k3 6 # 14 [4d6k3=[6, 4, 4], 1] 14 [4d6k3=[6, 5, 3], 1] 12 [4d6k3=[6, 3, 3], 1] 15 [4d6k3=[5, 5, 5], 3] 11 [4d6k3=[6, 3, 2], 2] 13 [4d6k3=[5, 5, 3], 1]

astrobstrd on
    Selling the Scream Podcast: https://anchor.fm/jeremy-donaldson
  • Options
    okidoki then!

Salazar H'san
    Tiefling Sorcerer 3 Neutral

AC 14 HP 23 Speed 30ft

Str 11 (0) Dex 13 (1) Con 14 (2) Wis 12 (1) Int 14 (2) Cha 17 (3)

blurb:
    Salazar H'san, a name he gave himself, originally hails from Athkatla, the third child to a noble house.
    Although not outright hated by his family, he wasn't present at the lavish parties and other functions that his house often held; fear of reprisals or political gains over his house meant that he was a secret to be kept hidden away.
    It seemed fate hadn't quite finished piling on the problems for a house he never names, as an affinity for magic, although barely restrained, manifested itself early during childhood. Arguments were had, Salazar barely remembers what was said, but soon, after an awkward but heartfelt goodbye, he was sent off to a local wizard academy. Life seemed slightly better here, the other students didn't seem to much care for his infernal appearance, but as time went on and as Salazar grew into a man, he realised he wasn't really being taught anything. He was being studied. Whilst certainly no match for any of the older wizards there, he did make sure to spike the evening meal on the day of his unannounced departure; with the most powerful locally available laxative.
    He set out into the world hoping to find a place he could call home. Years on the road have taught him that people are ignorant at best, outright malicious at worst.
    It isn't all bad, though. The adventurer's life suited him. The bluffing, the lying, the sneaking around; what a rush!
    His spells seemed to be becoming more potent, as well!

"What's this?"
    *reads over entries on a notice board. It's raining pretty heavily*
    ""The Yawing Portal! Come for the treasure, stay for the ale!" .. sure, why not."

• Options
    BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    Wait... Do Arcane Tricksters need a wand or other focus? It doesn't say they do, but they do cast Wizard spells.

GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • Options
    Bursar wrote: »
    Wait... Do Arcane Tricksters need a wand or other focus? It doesn't say they do, but they do cast Wizard spells.

Arcane tricksters still need components to cast spells and focuses are replacements for components.
    i.e. ATs don't need but can use a focus.

• Options
    dresdenphiledresdenphile Watch out for snakes!Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    Geth roll 6#4d6k3

Edit: That is grim.

6#4d6k3 6 # 14 [4d6k3=[5, 5, 4], 2] 7 [4d6k3=[3, 2, 2], 1] 10 [4d6k3=[4, 3, 3], 1] 10 [4d6k3=[5, 3, 2], 1] 15 [4d6k3=[6, 5, 4], 4] 10 [4d6k3=[6, 2, 2], 2]

dresdenphile on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Geth roll 6#4d6k3

..party needs a trap roomba? ;D

• Options
    evilthecat wrote: »
    Geth roll 6#4d6k3

..party needs a trap roomba? ;D

You know I took Find Familiar for that reason but if someone else will take the spike to the face that's one less DEX save for a spider to roll.

But seriously I love Point Buy.

o4n72w5h9b5y.png
  • Options
    edited June 2016

I agree. The risk of terrible scores outweighs any benefit to awesome scores that rolling has (to me).

am0n on
  • Options
    NealnealNealneal Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    I am very interested, so here we go!

Edit- Very middle of the road, looks good to me. I'll get something together this evening.

Geth roll 6#4d6k3

6#4d6k3 6 # 12 [4d6k3=[6, 4, 2], 1] 11 [4d6k3=[5, 5, 1], 1] 12 [4d6k3=[5, 4, 3], 2] 10 [4d6k3=[5, 4, 1], 1] 14 [4d6k3=[5, 5, 4], 3] 13 [4d6k3=[6, 5, 2], 2]

Nealneal on
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    am0n wrote: »

I agree. The risk of terrible scores outweighs any benefit to awesome scores that rolling has (to me).

Learn from poor Barran's example!

C'mon, Fuselage, you didn't have to hit Agree that fast. :P

Bursar on
    GNU Terry Pratchett
    egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • Options
    I like rolling if I'm building a character that relies on 1-2 ability scores.

Otherwise, like in the case of the Paladin I submitted where I wanted 3-4 ability scores, fuck no, point buy all the way.

Characters
  • Options
    Mongrel IdiotMongrel Idiot Registered User regular
    I'll roll up a character tonight for the reserve pool, but I'll happily go to the back of the line since I'm already in Denada's game.

I'm thinking a fighter. Been jonesing to try Battlemaster since 5e came out.

• Options
    ImthebOHGODBEESImthebOHGODBEES Registered User regular
    Same with the reserve pool. I'm DMing for people on Fantasy Grounds, but we can't play anywhere near often enough to scratch my itch.

Do you, in fact, have any builds in this shop at all?
  • Options
    Geth roll 6#4d6k3

Heh. Where's the "witness me" button when you need it. Do what you need to be happy. :)

• Options
    Steelhawk wrote: »
    Geth roll 6#4d6k3

Heh. Where's the "witness me" button when you need it. Do what you need to be happy. :)

We'll just give them all the magic items.

o4n72w5h9b5y.png
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    Yeah, all you brutes with 18 strength will sure feel wasted when a Belt of Hill Giant Strength comes along. What's that? +14 Strength versus +1? You can tell who that's going to go to!

:P

Bursar on
    GNU Terry Pratchett
    egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • Options
    Bursar wrote: »
    Yeah, all you brutes with 18 strength will sure feel wasted when a Belt of Hill Giant Strength comes along. What's that? +14 Strength versus +1? You can tell who that's going to go to!

:P

whoever can fight for it best.
    which, evidently, won't be mr "look at my pecs" 12 str! :P

• Options
    Clearly the monk or rogue needs that belt the most. After all, who could need a str item more than a dex class?

• Options
    Loving the submissions so far folks, keep it up!

So far we have 2 rogues, 2 pallys, a monk, a sorcerer and a ranged fighter.

I'll keep recruiting open until the weekend sometime when I will start to make some decisions on what kind of party seems like the most fun to put together.

• Options
    NealnealNealneal Registered User regular
    Alright here is Thistle, a Wood elf hermit who spent several decades alone tending to an isolated glade. Rampaging monsters destroyed it and cast Thistle back into the world. His wandering since then has lead him to this group of motley folks.

Thistle

• Options
    El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    edited June 2016
    I'll put a character in!

Minion, roll 6#4d6k3

Working on a Halfling Barbarian now :twisted:

Bertha Heavyfoot, Stout Halfling Barbarian

Important stuff (personality etc) to come in a little bit
    Barbarian 3
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
    Background: Outlander

Str: 14 +2
    Dex 16 +3 (+2 halfling) (proficient save)
    Con 14 +2 (+1 halfling) (proficient save)
    Int 11 +0
    Wis 12 +1
    Cha 12 +1

HP: 32/32 (12+2 + (7+2)/lvl)
    AC: 17
    Initiative: +3
    Speed: 25 ft
    Passive Perception: 13

Proficient Skills: Athletics, Animal Handling, Perception, Survival

Barbarian Abilities:

Rage (3/day): enter rage for a) 1 minute or b) until knocked unconscious or c) haven't made an attack or taken damage for 1 round. Benefits: +2 damage, Advantage on Strength and Strength saving throws, resistance to bludgeoning, piercing, slashing damage

Unarmored defense: when unarmored, AC is 10 + Dex mod + Con mod. Stacks with shields.

Reckless attack: On first attack in a round, gain advantage for all attack rolls using strength for 1 turn, but attack rolls against have advantage until next turn

Danger Sense: While not blinded, incapacitated or deafened, gain advantage on Dex saving throws against targets you can see

Primal Path: Path of the totem warrior- Bear. While raging, gain resistance to all damage except psychic damage.

Halfling Traits:

Lucky: When rolling a 1 on the d20 for an attack, roll again and use the second result.

Brave: Gain advantage on saving throws to avoid fear

Halfling Nimbleness: Can move through the space of creatures a size larger.

Stout Resilience: Advantage on poison saves, resistant to poison damage

6#4d6k3 6 # 13 [4d6k3=[6, 4, 3], 1] 11 [4d6k3=[6, 3, 2], 1] 14 [4d6k3=[6, 4, 4], 1] 14 [4d6k3=[5, 5, 4], 2] 12 [4d6k3=[5, 4, 3], 2] 12 [4d6k3=[6, 4, 2], 1]

El Skid on
  • Options
    astrobstrdastrobstrd So full of mercy... Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    Erif Skrasskin
    Human (Variant) Male
    Fighter 2/Warlock 1 (Fiend)
    Alignment: Lawful Neutral
    Background: Soldier

Str. 16 +3 (+1 Human) (Proficient Save)
    Dex. 11 +0
    Con. 14 +2 (Proficient Save)
    Int. 12 +1
    Wis. 14 +2
    Cha. 14 +2 (+1 Human)

HP: 27/27
    AC: 17
    Initiative: +0
    Speed: 30 ft.
    Passive Perception: 14

Proficient Skills: Athletics, History, Intimidation, Perception, Survival

Fighter Abilities: Great Weapon Fighting, Second Wind, Action Surge

Warlock Abilities: Pact Magic, Dark One's Blessing

Spells Known:

Cantrips: Eldritch Blast, Prestidigitation
    1st Level: Burning Hands, Command, Armor of Agathys, Hex

Spell Slots: 1

Feats: War Caster

Gear: Splint Mail, Great Sword, 2 Hand Axes, Long Bow w/ 20 arrows, Officer's Regalia, Common Clothes, Dungeoneer's Pack, Set of Playing Cards

Erif was an officer in his town militia. During a raid by bandits, he offered a prayer for aid. No god came to his aid, but a succubus did. He now struggles with his devilish powers while trying to achieve glory and honor through conquering the unconquerable Undermountain.

Traits: Serious and honor-bound.

Ideals: Glory, Honor, and Order are the highest virtues one should aspire towards.

Flaw: Secretly enjoys the power of his newfound patron.

astrobstrd on
    Selling the Scream Podcast: https://anchor.fm/jeremy-donaldson