As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Cue up The Vapors, "Turning Japanese"

• Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    The Geek wrote: »
    But seriously though, am I the only one for whom the OP struck them as:

"1) girls play games? Whaaaaaaaaaaaat? who ever heard of such a thing?

2) ethnocentrism ahoy!"

oh.. oh yeah

I mean yeah

I think we're all just making lemonade with these lemons

• Options
    crwthcrwth THAT'S IT Registered User regular
    i went to tokyo for a couple of weeks back in like 2007 and it was cool

id love to go back again but ill probably never have the opportunity to!

EzUAYcn.png
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Yeah, I think we are all kind of ignoring aspects of the op and kind of hijacking this thread into the "good times we had in Japan" remembrance thread.

I should go dig through my old photos and share some.

• Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular

2) ethnocentrism ahoy!"

Totally.

Especially since the reason you don't see girls in hobby shops as often over here is partially because of the type of reaction the OP had. Gatekeeping/creepers/etc. aside.

• Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    Beasteh wrote: »
    what the hell is that pic of the girl with the pig even

like aren't people embarrassed to have that there

Sho ga nai

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Suriko wrote: »
    Anyway you can snag a JR rail pass before you get there? Tokyo is rad and all but if you've been to Tokyo before there is really so much more of the country to see. Kyoto has so many wonderful buildings and so much history, Osaka is just fun, Sapporo is a wonderful city with amazing food and booze. I really should sit down and try to make like, a basic tourist guide to Miyagi or something based off my two years living there. I feel like the Japanese countryside is a really beautiful thing that is really unappreciated by tourists. You could easily spend an amazingly relaxing couple weeks simply going from one relaxing mountainside hotel and hotspring to another in that neck of Japan, mix in some wonderful nature hikes and visits to the hidden tucked away food gems and cafes... Gah I need to plan a return visit.

If you want to hit the countryside, I suggest something around the Central Japan itinerary I did:
    Hotel in Nagano, and stay there for a few days. The city itself is small and explorable in 1-2 days, but quite pretty and relaxed.

From there, a day trip to Matsumoto to see a cool castle (which you can go inside and see a bunch of interesting artifacts, like Edo muskets and shot casting).

Another day trip is Magome, which is a small historical town that requires a bit of work to get to (tain to Nakatsugawa Station, then regular buses to Magome). The town itself is nice, but the main attraction is a reasonably level ~10km hike to the historic town of Tsumago that takes you through the wilderness of Central Japan along an old walking trail used by Edo-era pilgrims. Wonderful forests and creeks, some nice birds, mountains in the distance, it's just wonderful, and this is from someone who always hated hiking. You can set off from Nagano at daybreak and be back in the evening if your pace is good.

Lastly, a little old train can get you from Nagano to Obuse. It's a cute little town that's mostly agricultural, known for its (really nice) apples. Some lovely countryside, and a couple of nice little shrines buried in the hillside forest. Very quiet, with its own charm.

Rural Japan is really nice, and thanks to the train system, you can get pretty remote without much issue. The only place I'd like to visit if not for accessibility problems is central Shikkoku, where you pretty much need a rental car to get around.

Yeah you'd really need a rental car to get around a place like Miyagi, the rail system is only so great in the North and most of the best places are hidden up tiny, winding mountain roads that can barely fit a single car.

this makes me think of the beginning of Spirited Away

"Don't worry, Dad's got four-wheel drive!"

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Beasteh wrote: »
    what the hell is that pic of the girl with the pig even

like aren't people embarrassed to have that there

Shes the plus sized model for an electronics catalog.

She didnt have the pig in her debut.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    I've been watching this show on netflix with my wife called Terrace House

It's like the Real World I guess, but Japanese 20 somethings in a super fancy house in Tokyo

And people basically come on the show to "find a boy/girlfriend"

It's a great show you should all watch it, but MAN O MAN does it shine a light on the crazy relationship dynamics in Japan.

Like there is a pair of them who pretty much the entire season is will they or won't they and they're both into each other and they go on cute dates and the boy professes his love and they agonize over every little conversation and there's a whole episode dedicated to the lead up to their first kiss and when they do everyone goes CRAZY

and a couple of episodes later the girl is talking to her sister about how sometimes their conversations are weird and she just drops the fact that they fucked a bunch of times and NOBODY MENTIONS IT. And my wife was like "Oh yeah, kissing is a huge huge deal and Japan, but sex is not a big deal at all."

• Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    That sounds adorable, actually.

b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    Graham and Kathleen from Loading Ready Run have been putting up video diaries from their trip to Japan.
    They're pretty entertaining, and I'm probably only going to get to view Japan vicariously at this point.

https://youtu.be/4XMONkgWHzU
    https://youtu.be/a-GJNqkjLso
    https://youtu.be/OIn7FXvrq1I

• Options
    TrippyJing wrote: »

It's a really good and cute show, but it's incredibly cringe worthy in parts because even though they're 25 year olds, they're treating relationships like I did when I was 13, apart from the fact that they're probably having casual sex with each other all the time.

• Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    Cultural differences sure are cringe worthy

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Rural Japan
    T0qbx0v.jpg

Is super pretty
    sFbikBH.jpg

Please visit it
    yjNRcQe.jpg

Also it has adorable cafes
    oGf1Qqd.jpg

• Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    TrippyJing wrote: »

It also sounds like how I like to treat relationships

I would go to Japan if I wanted to chop my self-esteem into even tinier pieces and feel like a bigger piece of crap than usual

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »
    Where's that ketchem ash guy

Can you join the yakuza

What about the pocky

He was a well thought out and acted troll account
    Lord of Lizardman was his real warhammer army very well painted and modified
    99% of the stuff you saw was just his act his only flaw was using the same photobucket id to post his pics

Good times

• Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular

2) ethnocentrism ahoy!"

I didn't really take the second part as ethnocentrism, just because there are also plenty of Japanese folks who think that shit is weird as well. You don't gotta be from another culture to see that stuff as creepy.

But I guess if you're lacking the broader cultural context and just think it's weird because hey my culture doesn't have this weird thing, then yeah that would still apply.

Anyway I just stay out of Akihabara so I don't have to deal with it anyway!

• Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    AFAIK kissing is rare among non-European cultures

And romantic kissing might also be an imported custom in Japan for all I know

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited June 2016
    Man, Japan was great. I did this get buried in hot sand thing.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    HeadCreepsHeadCreeps NOW IS THE TIME FOR DRINKING! Registered User regular
    majanz wrote: »

ezz3umlc85nc.jpg

I'm going to assume that camera is there for a very, very specific reason

vEaRQgH.png
  • Options
    pookapooka Registered User regular
    rhylith wrote: »
    I am in Japan right now waiting for the next leg of my flight to Singapore.

Hello, Japan.

Thank you for having civilized airports with amenities like shower rooms.

Oh crap you've already left?

!!
    @Lost Salient, i'm having some wine with lunch -- figured you'd appreciate it.
    dangit, thought we'd sneak in some dancing!
    excite for yooooou!

lfchwLd.jpg
  • Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    HeadCreeps wrote: »
    majanz wrote: »

ezz3umlc85nc.jpg

I'm going to assume that camera is there for a very, very specific reason

To make sure she doesn't escape.

• Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    AFAIK kissing is rare among non-European cultures

And romantic kissing might also be an imported custom in Japan for all I know

It's not. Lots of medieval and older Japanese literature/poetry talks about romantic love, and kissing is definitely part of it (although definitely not as common, say, in public).

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    a culture that isn't big on kissing? gotta move there asap

kissing is the worst

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    Jars wrote: »
    a culture that isn't big on kissing? gotta move there asap

kissing is the worst

Counterpoint: Kissing is good and fun

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Kissing is arguably the best part.

• Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    Jars, maybe you're doing it wrong and Pooro should teach you a little.

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    I'll just take a firm handshake please and thank you

• Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    My 50~ hours in Japan was spent by repeatedly saying "Just like my favorite animes!" over and over.

jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular

I'm a fan of the third date pat on the shoulder.

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    MalReynoldsMalReynolds The Hunter S Thompson of incredibly mild medicines Registered User regular
    Man, I think kissing is rad as hell.

I wish I could do more kissing.

If I could kiss for like, 2 hours a day, that'd be primo.

"A new take on the epic fantasy genre... Darkly comic, relatable characters... twisted storyline."
    "Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor
    My new novel: Maledictions: The Offering. Now in Paperback!
  • Options
    KaplarKaplar On Google MapsRegistered User regular

I'm a fan of the third date pat on the shoulder.

You hussy.

• Options
    ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    Dotonbori is on my short list of places to go once I finish up my language classes. I intend to eat enough that I can't afford to come home, thus solving several problems at once.

• Options
    SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    Barcardi wrote: »
    Does anyone know anything about skiing in Japan? Is the snow heavy like the pacific northwest or light like Colorado? I really want to go ski where they had the winter Olympics.

Also how much would it cost to go to Japan for say... 2 weeks?

Hokkaido gets heavy snow.

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    italianranmaitalianranma Registered User regular
    edited June 2016

ezz3umlc85nc.jpg

The sign reads, "On the second floor we've got some amazing steamed meat buns."

edit: the verb used indicates that this is a new or returning item.

italianranma on
    飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular
    Rural Japan
    T0qbx0v.jpg

Is super pretty
    sFbikBH.jpg

Please visit it
    yjNRcQe.jpg

oGf1Qqd.jpg

These are great pictures, but a part of me feels like that bear is really sad to be in that drink and is reaching out for help and I feel strangely guilty???

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Cello wrote: »
    Rural Japan
    T0qbx0v.jpg

Is super pretty
    sFbikBH.jpg

Please visit it
    yjNRcQe.jpg

oGf1Qqd.jpg

These are great pictures, but a part of me feels like that bear is really sad to be in that drink and is reaching out for help and I feel strangely guilty???

"don't drink me I could have a future"

• Options
    Tommy2HandsTommy2Hands what is this where am i Registered User regular
    no weeb threads

8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
  • Options
    denihilistdenihilist Ancient and Mighty Registered User, Moderator mod
    no threads, no future

• Options
    denihilistdenihilist Ancient and Mighty Registered User, Moderator mod
    Also the OP is super creepy. I know we all know that but I just wanted to go on record as well.

• Options
    Tommy2HandsTommy2Hands what is this where am i Registered User regular
    kill_all_threads.exe

8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg