As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

This is the Dawning of the Age of [X-Men: Apocalypse]

15678911»

• Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Wolverine does have more than one clone.

Also, they could be casting for flashbacks.
    I'm not aware of any other clones of Wolverine?

• JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    edited June 2016

I'd say
    There are at least 22 others

Joolander on
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Let's not forget that while the storyline is probably based on OML, it's going to change a whole bunch.

• Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Joolander wrote: »

I'd say

I'm pretty sure
    they're all dead or otherwise unviable.

• StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Let's not forget that while the storyline is probably based on OML, it's going to change a whole bunch.

Right, I'm not saying from a story perspective
    But Jackman and Stewart are both rocking hella scruff, with Hugh's being grayed out quite a bit

This story clearly takes place post The Wolverine and thus at least at present day, probably more likely ten to twenty years in the future

Which means even if X movies continue a ten year jump pattern (I personally expect them to slow down), she wouldn't be around until like, four movies from now

• Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I rather liked this!
    It was simultaneously too long and hella rushed, and Apocalypse wasn't super interesting, but there was a lot of fun stuff here

I've always been pretty forgiving of the X movies, I appreciate that they just go for it and have a pretty playful tone while still feeling like they have real stakes

• AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    I'd be super down if they mixed in Jason Aaron's Weapon X stuff with OML

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Hmmm.. over/under on a Deadpool cameo?

Anwyho, the weapon-x stuff can be used to fill in the non-Mutant parts of the story Fox can't use, so that makes sense.

• BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    AtomicTofu wrote: »
    I'd be super down if they mixed in Jason Aaron's Weapon X stuff with OML
    I could see them
    combining The Reavers with that squad of Logan Killers from the initial Weapon X arc

CYpGAPn.png
  • KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    Joolander wrote: »

I'd say

I'm pretty sure
    they're all dead or otherwise unviable.

But that's only in the comics. The movies could be different.

Also, in the Wolverine and the X-Men animated show, which was headed up by Craig Kyle and Chris Yost, the creators of X-23, there were 4 X-23 clones in the Sentinel controlled future.

• wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    Saw this today.

It was alright.

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
    Opinion piece by moviebob.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6OkpWxFpiI

Can't say I agree with it; I think he's being way too hard on these films.

• nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    I haven't watched the video but I agree with the core premise. The X-movies think character arcs are for suckers or side characters and none of them have ever looked good for their time.

Quire.jpg
  • NeoTomaNeoToma Registered User regular
    Opinion piece by moviebob.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6OkpWxFpiI

Can't say I agree with it; I think he's being way too hard on these films.

i hate this

why did i click it

• PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Does Bob Chipman hate fun? I'm getting the impression that he hates fun.

Most of the X-Men films don't hold up for me. However I completely disagree with him saying First Class was the best one. DoFP blows it out of the water.

FC totally ruined Emma Frost.

You can't ruin what's already terrible

• NeoTomaNeoToma Registered User regular
    it reeks of 'uhh just give up and give x-men back to marvel'

Grey Ghost wrote: »
    You can't ruin what's already terrible

January Jones can!

• XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    do you know what happens to an X-Men movie when it gets struck by lightning

• UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    NeoToma wrote: »
    it reeks of 'uhh just give up and give x-men back to marvel'

Well......

The X-Men function better in their own movie universe in my opinion

They have a huge enough character catalog and rely so heavily on the hated and feared mutant dynamic that they are better utilized as an isolated franchise

CYpGAPn.png
    X-Men should stay with Fox
    They're doing a fine job with it and I'd rather not have a whole extra layer of stuff jammed into the MCU at this point

It's weird to say it reeks of a sentiment he outright says. You're not wrong but

Quire.jpg
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    I don't disagree that they should remain separate from the MCU

But I do think Marvel Studios would do a better job with the property

They could just...keep it separate from the MCU

I don't disagree that they should remain separate from the MCU

But I do think Marvel Studios would do a better job with the property

They could just...keep it separate from the MCU
    That kind of goes against Marvel Studios whole thing

They have built up a reputation and brand of "If this says Marvel Studios on it, it is part of the same world as all of the other movies and will also probably be pretty good"

Having a second sub-universe would just complicate matters

Plus, Fox is taking risks that Marvel never would. Deadpool is not a film Marvel Studios would make, and Wolverine 3 being an R-Rated western tinged revenge flick is also a film they wouldn't green light.

CYpGAPn.png
  • MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Man, I usually agree with a lot of what he says, but First Class being the best?

Nope, can't truck with that, no sir

• kaceypkaceyp we stayed bright as lightning we sang loud as thunderRegistered User regular
    So I went and saw this for the second time today, and I think I may have actually liked it a little more this time? I mean I already liked it, but a couple of the issues I had didn't bother me as much. Such as:
    The Horsemen. I still think they should have done more to explicitly show that Apocalypse had at least semi-brainwashed them (if that is supposed to be the case), but I can at least read into it I guess? Like they definitely do that thing with his voice and his eyes when he's recruiting them, and Storm's demeanor in particular totally changes after he enhances her.

Honestly, I think Magneto is actually the film's biggest weakness. First off, I don't feel like any of the stuff with his family is actually necessary at all. And on top of that, all of the character stuff that they do with Magneto is also the biggest thing that gets in the way of seeing the Horsemen as brainwashed or unnaturally persuaded. Because they give him this whole dramatic motivation for turning back to the dark side, after he joins Apocalypse he continues to act in basically the same conflicted-but-resigned manner, and when Raven and Peter confront him it feels entirely like a regular "talking sense into him" scene rather than breaking through any sort of control.

I do still think the pacing of the movie suffers a bit in the middle, due in large part to the Weapon X sequence. And I still don't like that for the most part they gave Apocalypse generalized "manipulate matter to do whatever" powers.

But overall I feel like I actually had fewer problems with the movie after seeing it again.

• XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    aren't Fox and Disney co-producing stuff now

First Class was so different from Last Stand

Xehalus wrote: »

No.

Quire.jpg

You're thinking of Sony.

• StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular

A small glance into whatever the hell is going on with Legion

• HawkstoneHawkstone Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things. Somewhere outside of BarstowRegistered User regular

You're thinking of Sony.

There is some rustling in the bushes that they might go the joint route with the FF franchise though in the vein of Spidey.

Inside of a dog...it's too dark to read.
    Hawkstone wrote: »

You're thinking of Sony.

There is some rustling in the bushes that they might go the joint route with the FF franchise though in the vein of Spidey.
    I have seen absolutely nothing that I would call even a little bit credible in regards to this

CYpGAPn.png
  • HawkstoneHawkstone Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things. Somewhere outside of BarstowRegistered User regular
    edited July 2016
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    Hawkstone wrote: »

You're thinking of Sony.

I have seen absolutely nothing that I would call even a little bit credible in regards to this

Eh...it popped up again in two or three news feeds I flip through just last week....credible from news aggregators I cant say.

Hawkstone on
    Inside of a dog...it's too dark to read.