As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Cue up The Vapors, "Turning Japanese"

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    a dude jackin' it to a woman's photo is the least weird thing I can think of

• Options
    Tommy2HandsTommy2Hands what is this where am i Registered User regular
    what about a dude jackin it to a pork bun

8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
  • Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular

they're shaped kinda like a boob, so, not that weird. just sorta pathetic.

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Let's not pork bun shame itt.

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular

look at who is too good to jack it to a pork bun

• Options
    majanzmajanz Registered User regular
    Hurm... Seems that I've struck a wee bit of a nerve... A wee bit...

If you must know my observational style, my feet hurt so I bought a soda from the machine at the "Yellow Submarine" in Akibahara and sat down at one of the empty tables. I was actually more interesting in mixed group of gamers whom were closer to my age (so let's toss in some GenX v. Millennials drama on top of my creepy sexism). Actually, I was almost MORE surprised to see middle aged folks hanging out on a sunny Saturday in Akibahara backroom playing... I was trying hard to see what they were playing but it was all in Japanese - and it all looked like accounting spreadsheets? Is there an RPG out there where you role play being an accountant?

Anyhoo, I noticed the all girl table because in that room they were having the most fun. By a wide margin. They were the loudest and the happiest group in the room. And yes, I am older than most of you, "And back in my day..."

But I still want to know if that accounting RPG exists! That would be awesome!

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    majanz wrote: »
    Hurm... Seems that I've struck a wee bit of a nerve... A wee bit...

If you must know my observational style, my feet hurt so I bought a soda from the machine at the "Yellow Submarine" in Akibahara and sat down at one of the empty tables. I was actually more interesting in mixed group of gamers whom were closer to my age (so let's toss in some GenX v. Millennials drama on top of my creepy sexism). Actually, I was almost MORE surprised to see middle aged folks hanging out on a sunny Saturday in Akibahara backroom playing... I was trying hard to see what they were playing but it was all in Japanese - and it all looked like accounting spreadsheets? Is there an RPG out there where you role play being an accountant?

Anyhoo, I noticed the all girl table because in that room they were having the most fun. By a wide margin. They were the loudest and the happiest group in the room. And yes, I am older than most of you, "And back in my day..."

But I still want to know if that accounting RPG exists! That would be awesome!

Offices and Bosses?

• Options
    And while I'm peeing gasoline onto the bonfire...

I just want to say that I am very very proud of the social changes I've seen in Japan this trip! And not just the ban on smoking on the sidewalks!

Some background: I work in a super conservative 'Blue Chip' industry. For the past couple of decades I have been making an un-scientific personally biased list of countries where I (and only I) have worked with a woman whom was either a manager or worked in some sort of STEM field. It is a short list:

North America, Sweden/Denmark, France, Germany, Singapore - and as of this week! Japan! Still only the one Engineer, but its a start.

Ball is in your court United Kingdom!

• Options
    ImperatorXXVImperatorXXV Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    Peen wrote: »
    buddy this place is harsh and biased value judgement central, it's kinda a key feature

Clearly. OP could have worded things better but damn, some of these replies...

I myself tabletop etc in liberal San Diego, LA and San Francisco and have never seen women/ladies/goils to be a regularly normative representation in a variety of environments. I would like it to be otherwise! I'm not a mouth breather so when I do play or roll with a group of ladies I am far from being awe struck, taken aback or behaving differently at all. With that being said I have been exposed and grossed out by the opposite reaction of "omg a girl" and it is very cringe worthy every time. OP could have worded things differently but damn, some harsh judgement calls made here. I'm sure they come from a place of being tired to the same old "omg a girl" reaction but the observation OP made wasn't too far off point, I myself have never seen a RPG group of nothing but ladies in 10+ years of gaming. Could he have worded it in a way that jived better with this forum? Totally (maybe, based on some of these reactions).

Regardless everyone should play and interact with anyone in the same way as they would their normal crew and afford no one special treatment or put them on some strange pedestal of admiration. We can all agree on that I would hope.

Unnecessary background info but my longest standing Pathfinder group was mostly composed of women.

ImperatorXXV on
    r7r7a0.gif
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Wait Japan banned smoking on the sidewalks? What? WHAT?!

Is that just in Tokyo or something because when I left my neck of Japan in 2014 people were still chain smoking inside of family restaurants.

• Options
    I've actually introduced a large number of women to tabletop gaming throughout the years. I have many memories of taking them out to the game store for the first time after previously only playing in our respective houses and having to staunchly shut down gross people's reactions of "omg a girl." So I really do understand and relate to some of the flak this thread got. I've gotten pretty fierce toward people for having said reaction and making my group feel awkward.

r7r7a0.gif
  • Options
    SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
  • Options
    dporowskidporowski Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    You know, it's kind of nice that there's a generation that reflexively assumes everyone can game, and won't get beat up for "that nerd shit", etc. Sure, still not perfect, but when I think back 20 years... Christ.

Enjoy it, you kids. But y'know, keep making it better, too. I didn't go to war* with Gorbo the Unwashed** for you lot to rest on your laurels!

*Metaphorically speaking
    **Not at all metaphorically speaking

dporowski on
  • Options
    dporowski wrote: »
    You know, it's kind of nice that there's a generation that reflexively assumes everyone can game, and won't get beat up for "that nerd shit", etc.

Blegh I have a vivid memory of hosting a game in my apartment where a friend brought over an acquaintance who was visiting from out of state. He was in disbelief at what we were all doing and said something akin to "I'm used to this being something the losers do and get beat up for. This is so weird."

So I asked "Would you kindly let me know how many people you personally assaulted, verbally or otherwise, so I can justify kicking your ass out of my home?"

r7r7a0.gif
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    What's this steamed bun thing?
    Does it chafe

I would assume that a steamed bun would not chafe at all, due to the moisture

• Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »

Is that just in Tokyo or something because when I left my neck of Japan in 2014 people were still chain smoking inside of family restaurants.

Chain smoking in family restaurants is still very much a thing here.

I don't know about the street ban, but I do know that Shibuya Station has a designed smoking station near Hachiko, and I don't think I've noticed people smoking near the station outside that area. So maybe it's a thing now?

• Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    You know, it's kind of nice that there's a generation that reflexively assumes everyone can game, and won't get beat up for "that nerd shit", etc. Sure, still not perfect, but when I think back 20 years... Christ.

Enjoy it, you kids. But y'know, keep making it better, too. I didn't go to war* with Gorbo the Unwashed** for you lot to rest on your laurels!

*Metaphorically speaking

You're acting like we're all 12 or some shit.

• Options
    edited June 2016
    Houk wrote: »

Chain smoking in family restaurants is still very much a thing here.

I don't know about the street ban, but I do know that Shibuya Station has a designed smoking station near Hachiko, and I don't think I've noticed people smoking near the station outside that area. So maybe it's a thing now?

It may be a Tokyo thing, but they have painted "No Smoking" icons all over the sidewalks in my neighborhood (Ebisu) and when I get breakfast in a Jonathan's the smokers are all exiled into a sealed room.

Granted Ebisu is totally overrun with Western expats!

But now that I think about it - my work site has barely any Westerners - and even here in the company canteen the smokers are all exiled into a sealed room! And at the train stations they have these partitioned off smoking sections.

majanz on
  • Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    #pipe wrote: »
    sarukun wrote: »
    Artereis wrote: »
    Dotonbori is on my short list of places to go once I finish up my language classes. I intend to eat enough that I can't afford to come home, thus solving several problems at once.

I spent a weekend there.

I ate a lot of okonomiyaki.

Dude we were in Osaka for 3 nights and didn't make it to Dotonbori ONCE. I had a ridiciulous throat infection while I was there and had to go to the emergency room because I felt like I was swallowing razor blades. I really had no ability to walk around all night eating after that :(
    This is the saddest story I have ever read. :(

• Options
    TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    Cool.

Now I want to play Robo Rally and eat pork buns all night.

Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
  • Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    edited June 2016
    TankHammer wrote: »
    It makes me really happy to see things like boardgame cafes taking off.

I like gaming cafes that serve bar food alcohol the best. :biggrin:

The place we used to play down in midtown is getting gutted and will be out of comission for like a year. :bigfrown:

It is a secret dream of mine to open a bar with games for rent and small private rooms for parties and there will be a secret hidden menu with role playing game handbooks and dice on it.

First time's free. :D

Now all I need is money and a clientele who will actually come buy food and beverages.

sarukun on
  • Options
    WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    Mysst wrote: »
    you don't need a plus sized anime girl to sell me steamed pork buns

but I mean, I'm cool with it, too. advertising is hard

To be honest, you could sell me steamed pork buns by punching me in the face. I've never had the Japanese version, but good hum bao is like, top 3 foods for me.

The number of 7-11 steam buns I got in Japan is embarassingly large.

But they have ones with pizza filling!

It's like a steam bun hot pocket!

They served the pizza steamed buns in our 7-11s as well, way back. Turned out I was practically the only one buying them and they discontinued it. :(

• Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    Damn it, I'm about to go to the gym and now all I'm going to be able to think of the entire time is pizza steamed buns.

Thanks

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Tonkka wrote: »
    Cool.

Now I want to play Robo Rally and eat pork buns all night.

Replace Robo Rally with any other board game and you have my sword.

• Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    i cannot believe we're having a fucking Japan thread on this here No-Ani-me forums.

• Options
    Dedwrekka wrote: »

*Metaphorically speaking

I know for a fact that there are people who post here that I am old enough to be their daddy. Some of y'all were born right around when I got out of HS.

While you are all definitely not 12, I am definitely on the upper end of the age bracket around here.

• Options
    Oghulk wrote: »
    i cannot believe we're having a fucking Japan thread on this here No-Ani-me forums.

Japan is way more than just cartoons though. So it makes sense to me. Like heck plenty of people in Japan don't care about cartoons at all once they are out of their teens.

Japanese cinema, for example, can be pretty rad, but I really need to branch out past Kurosawa's samurai films, and branch out past Kurosawa in general.

But he's so dang good.

• Options
    italianranmaitalianranma Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    Shall We Dance is one of my favorite movies.

edit: Also check out Kikujiro, Ju-On; and Battle Royale. Though between you and me I can't watch Battle Royale; it makes me really queezy.

If you have a Crunchyroll account, they also have a line up of Japanese drama and movies. It's relatively slim pickings though. I don't know that many other ways of legally renting or seeing the movies, though sometimes Japanese grocery stores will have a rental department, though their rentals often lack subtitles.

italianranma on
    飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    Oghulk wrote: »

a4rhjiqvmkjy.gif

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    Shall We Dance is one of my favorite movies.

edit: Also check out Kikujiro, Ju-On; and Battle Royale. Though between you and me I can't watch Battle Royale; it makes me really queezy.

If you have a Crunchyroll account, they also have a line up of Japanese drama and movies. It's relatively slim pickings though. I don't know that many other ways of legally renting or seeing the movies, though sometimes Japanese grocery stores will have a rental department, though their rentals often lack subtitles.

Netflix also has a pretty decent selection of shows and movies, at least some of which is subtitled. Their movie selection is pretty limited though, especially anything outside of the romcom genre.

• Options
    BarcardiBarcardi All the Wizards Under A Rock: AfganistanRegistered User regular
    edited June 2016
    Battle Royale has been in my Netflix cue for at least a year and I have yet to watch it. Ive heard nothing but good things but i dislike gore and ive heard its got some gore. So... it just sits there.

Barcardi on
  • Options
    If you dislike gore I'd say pass on it.

• Options
    TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    I've read the translated novel and the manga and own the Battle Royale movie. The movie is the least-interesting version. It's so over-acted and some of the changes they made kinda bugged me. It's gorey in a strawberry sauce and melodrama way, nothing that's really going to drive home any shock value.

The manga is insane and actually amplifies the horror elements. It's the most disturbing to read.

• Options
    KnobKnob TURN THE BEAT BACK InternetModerator mod
    Dedwrekka wrote: »

*Metaphorically speaking

I know for a fact that there are people who post here that I am old enough to be their daddy. Some of y'all were born right around when I got out of HS.

While you are all definitely not 12, I am definitely on the upper end of the age bracket around here.

I bet you'd be real fuckin surprised to learn that no you aren't.

• Options
    denihilistdenihilist Ancient and Mighty Registered User, Moderator mod
    TankHammer wrote: »
    IIt's gorey in a strawberry sauce and melodrama way, nothing that's really going to drive home any shock value.

That's kind of what I love about it: Let's all kill each other, but wait we need to spend 30 minutes on a jr high school love story.

• Options
    edited June 2016
    Edit: Ah, fuck it, I don't even feel like it.

dporowski on
  • Options
    Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    I should figure out steamed ol' hickory mutton buns.

VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular

Aww, whatsa matter? You're too old for this shit?

• Options
    denihilistdenihilist Ancient and Mighty Registered User, Moderator mod

Aww, whatsa matter? You're too old for this shit?

Beautiful. So very, very beautiful.

• Options
    MugginsMuggins Registered User regular
    Please everyone knows Druhim is the oldest

BdVvFJu.jpg
    hey satan...: thinkgeek amazon My post |