As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Podcast]s are blood. [Podcast]s are life. Devote your ears

Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMABaton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
Many of us listen to podcasts! I mean, that's why you are here in this thread, yeah? Yeah.

Webster's dictionary defines Podcast as " a program (as of music or talk) made available in digital format for automatic download over the Internet"

There you go. That explains it all, I hope?

Carry on.

• TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    speaking as someone who has done a fuckload of podcasts and listened to two fuckloads more

podcasts are bullshit

• Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    speaking as someone who has done a fuckload of podcasts and listened to two fuckloads more

podcasts are bullshit

HEY, MAN.

Yeah that checks out.

How's things?

• ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    Hey, bucko.

The Spooky thread is thataway.

Podcasts aren't real. Stop trying to scare people.

• OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Yes, podcasts are blood.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

edited June 2016
    How's things?

not great, to be honest!

edit: not something to discuss here, though

TheySlashThem on
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    hey totally giant bomb with attitude thread

BahamutZERO.gif
  • NeoTomaNeoToma Registered User regular
    Ace pilot Territory Jazz, and Territory Jazz Jr.
    Headmaster Twelfth.
    Not the 12th headmaster, a dude named twelfth who became headmaster of divine robot hacking school not entirely unlike Hogwarts?
    Kevin Vacation

all classic top notch npc names

• NeoTomaNeoToma Registered User regular
    My phone is broken, it's making me realize how lame public transportation is without podcasts or music

• PwnanObrienPwnanObrien He's right, life sucks. Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    Giant Bomb did a Street Fighter video with Kenny Omega.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEjHNc3eocQ

In case anybody's wondering who this amazing weirdo is...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8cxP4wMl_SQ

PwnanObrien on
    Mwx884o.jpg
  • Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    How's things?

not great, to be honest!

edit: not something to discuss here, though

Hope it gets better!

• SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    In conclusion, podcasts are a threat to society and should be stopped.

sig.gif
    So today I went to McDonald's and they had these new gigantic iPhone things you could order on instead of talking to a human, which is nice except why are they so huge? I'm at McDonald's so you know shame is part of the equation and you're gonna blast my order on a god damn jumbotron?

But second and most importantly, that thing had a meatless modifier for the burgers. In fact, that's the only one. Who tthe fuck orders a meatless Big Mac? Is that a thing? But you can't even put in no onions? What the fuck?

sig.gif
  • Death of RatsDeath of Rats Registered User regular
    People go inside McDonald's?

No I don't.
    In "cities" some people are on foot and locations have no drive-through.

sig.gif
  • Death of RatsDeath of Rats Registered User regular
    Intriguing.

I have heard of these "cities" before. So many questions. First off I've seen these giant metal houses that kiss the sky in games, how much room does one family need? Also, where are the cows and sheep and other farm animals in these "cities"? And how in the word is their enough oil for all the lamp posts? And yadyadyad you get the joke.

No I don't.
  • -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    SimBen wrote: »
    So today I went to McDonald's and they had these new gigantic iPhone things you could order on instead of talking to a human, which is nice except why are they so huge? I'm at McDonald's so you know shame is part of the equation and you're gonna blast my order on a god damn jumbotron?

But second and most importantly, that thing had a meatless modifier for the burgers. In fact, that's the only one. Who tthe fuck orders a meatless Big Mac? Is that a thing? But you can't even put in no onions? What the fuck?

Wait do they mean like a veggie burger or just tomatoes and lettuce between buns

PNk1Ml4.png
  • The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I'm on the Petals to the Metal story of The Adventure Zone now and goddamn Taako's
    Phantom steed is fucking killing me

BLM - ACAB
  • ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
  • LorahaloLorahalo Registered User regular
    Podcasts are for weird people, who would listen to them?

I have a podcast about Digimon called the Digital Moncast, on Audio Entropy.
  • Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular
    GOTTA GET THAT GIRL GOTTA GET THAT BUTT

2ohWien.png
    Tumblr | Twitter PSN: misterdapper Av by Satellite_09
  • miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    i've started listening to friends at the table

who wants to make a friends at the table listen-along podcast

uc3ufTB.png
  • LorahaloLorahalo Registered User regular
    Listening to Adventure Zone has made me realise how much I miss playing D&D with my friends. They don't have time any more really, and it makes me sad.

I have a podcast about Digimon called the Digital Moncast, on Audio Entropy.
  • nicopernicusnicopernicus Registered User regular
    Any idea on how long of a gap there will be between seasons of Friends at the Table? I still have a lot of Counter Weight to catch up on.

• Sir FabulousSir Fabulous Malevolent Squid God Registered User regular
    "Yep," I say, grandchildren rapt at my feet. "I was on a podcast once, you know."

pickup-sig.php?name=Orthanc

Switch Friend Code: SW-1406-1275-7906
  • One Thousand CablesOne Thousand Cables An absence of thought Registered User regular
    "I was there when Elite Beat Agents was scientifically declared the greatest game of all time!

...For maybe a day and a half"

I assume they're huge because of people with disabilities or who just aren't used to the tech

"I was there when Elite Beat Agents was scientifically declared the greatest game of all time!

...For maybe a day and a half"

it's still the best of all time, no matter what speed says

• -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    For a while I seriously considered buying a used ds lite as a dedicated eba machine that I could just destroy the screen on when the circles appear

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    So today I went to McDonald's and they had these new gigantic iPhone things you could order on instead of talking to a human, which is nice except why are they so huge?

A surprising number of old people eat at McDonalds.
    People go inside McDonald's?

I try to avoid the drivethrough. It makes a bigger pain in the ass to go "Hey, there's only 3 boxes of chicken nuggets in here, I ordered 4!"

Undead Scottsman on
  • miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    -Tal wrote: »
    For a while I seriously considered buying a used ds lite as a dedicated eba machine that I could just destroy the screen on when the circles appear

my brother bought a 2DS a few weeks ago, solely for Ouendan

turns out its design is useful for something other than being a doorstop!

uc3ufTB.png
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Listening to the Bombcast numerically break down Dan's insanity is a sight to behold.

• ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
    -Tal wrote: »

Wait do they mean like a veggie burger or just tomatoes and lettuce between buns

The picture looked like a Big Mac with everything and no patty of any kind!

Like just three buns, lettuce, onions, sauce

what the fuck

sig.gif
  • WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    Many of us listen to podcasts! I mean, that's why you are here in this thread, yeah? Yeah.

Webster's dictionary defines Podcast as " a program (as of music or talk) made available in digital format for automatic download over the Internet"

There you go. That explains it all, I hope?

Carry on.

I mean

• Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    hey math and computer programming thread i have a problem someone here might have some ideas about and i'm too lazy to look up a thread where it would be more on-topic

so i'm workin' on a mobile game. the idea is that you are presented with a square, which then randomly breaks into two smaller shapes that fit together to form the square. Then those two pieces break into two smaller pieces, and so on for some arbitrary number of steps until you have a decent number of "puzzle pieces." I want all of them to stay in formation as a square, before flying apart in random directions, at which point the player has a very small time limit to reassemble them.

All these shapes are represented primarily as an ordered pair of vertices, and the new, smaller shapes are created by generating a series of vertices that define a jagged line that cuts through the larger shape. The larger shape's vertices are broken into two segments, the ones on one side of this line and the ones on the other side, and the new set of vertices is appended to each pair to create two new sets of vertices which gives two new shapes.

here's where the tricky part comes in. I want these shape's initial positions to be where they would go to overlap the larger shape they came out of, so that all of the shapes combined make up the initial square. And I am clueless about how to do that. In retrospect I'm not even sure it's possible; I'm basically saying that I want to algorithmically solve the jigsaw puzzle that I've randomly generated. Even if that is doable, it might be too much work computationally. For an example of why this is so hard, imagine that the initial square is broken into two pieces by "shaving" a small horizontal stripe off of the bottom. There's two possible solutions to how these shapes could fit together: the strip piece could go below the larger mass or above it, and it's impossible to say which it should be.

My gut tells me this isn't a problem that can be solved, or at the very least, one that can't be solved efficiently. But if anyone has any ideas i'd love to hear them

How about when you create your vertex objects you initialize a "Correct position" attribute with their current position (before the square splits apart) so... the puzzle is solved if every vertex is currently at their correct position? (add some kind of rounding/snap to nearby correct position code in there so that the players don't have to be pixel-perfect).

I haven't coded in years so forgive me if I misunderstand your problem.

sig.gif
  • Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited June 2016
    How about when you create your vertex objects you initialize a "Correct position" attribute with their current position (before the square splits apart) so... the puzzle is solved if every vertex is currently at their correct position? (add some kind of rounding/snap to nearby correct position code in there so that the players don't have to be pixel-perfect).

I haven't coded in years so forgive me if I misunderstand your problem.

no no it sounds like you got it

the problem is that as i've got this implemented, i don't have control over the positions of the vertices

i have a game object that has a mesh defined by the vertices, and that's what I can position

and its position is defined by Unity as wherever its centroid is, and the vertices are relative to that

what i could maybe do is calculate the distance between the vertices and the centroid to determine the absolute position of the vertices, and then move the new shapes so that those positions match up?

As for the player side of it, the idea is that there is a square shaped border around where the square is initially drawn

any mass that's outside of the border is culled and deleted, and in the following round, a new, smaller square is created with an area equal to the summed areas of all the polygons within the square, and play continues until the square's area falls below some arbitrarily low threshold

Speed Racer on
    or i guess the vertices aren't even relative to the centroid? they're relative to the origin which is where the object is initially instantiated, and then once they're all created the object's position is equal to its centroid, which i can move around, but i gotta figure out how to move it to where it's supposed to go

This discussion has been closed.