As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Magnificent [movies] Thread

EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes UpRegistered User regular
edited July 2016 in Social Entropy++
I hope it's good!

What movies are ya'll down on?

Etchwarts on

• BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Get ready for some rad Orcs and some dumb bullshit

CYpGAPn.png
  • Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    I watched Daddy's Home and I Smile Back last night. They were both depressing for different reasons

• hatedinamericahatedinamerica Registered User regular
    Last night I watched Would You Rather before bed because I thought I'd never seen it (I was wrong). Not a great movie, but not terrible. Great cast though. Enver Ghokaj (sp?), the dad from Home Alone, Crab Man from My Name is Earl, and of course the always campy Herbert West: Re-Animator. (I am probably forgetting someone)

You could do worse in the bad Netflix thriller/horror department...but you could definitely do much, much better. Problem is I've seen almost all of them, so now I'm apparently double-dipping.

• EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    Get ready for some rad Orcs and some dumb bullshit

Just got back from this

I...kind of liked it a whole bunch? Like, it was incredibly flawed, but there's a really great movie in the somewhere!

• DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    I picked up a blu-ray of 10 Cloverfield Lane, so that I may force others to watch it

• KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    Last night I watched Would You Rather before bed because I thought I'd never seen it (I was wrong). Not a great movie, but not terrible. Great cast though. Enver Ghokaj (sp?), the dad from Home Alone, Crab Man from My Name is Earl, and of course the always campy Herbert West: Re-Animator. (I am probably forgetting someone)

You could do worse in the bad Netflix thriller/horror department...but you could definitely do much, much better. Problem is I've seen almost all of them, so now I'm apparently double-dipping.

It also had Brittany Snow from Pitch Perfect, Sasha Grey from....yeah..., and the guy who plays the Penguin on Gotham. I caught it on cable late one night and yeah, you could definitely do worse, but whatever merits it has are pretty much all thanks to that cast.

• YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    I picked up a blu-ray of 10 Cloverfield Lane, so that I may force others to watch it

make sure you lock them in a bunker first

• Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular

I got it for Father's Day but I'm waiting until we move and I get my theater room set back up before I watch it.

• StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    I watched Chi-raq last night

Gosh that was a movie with problems

There were like three different movies Spike Lee wanted to make in there, but combining them all was not a good idea

Which is a shame, as I really liked at least one of those, and may have liked all three if they were separated from one another

• DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    YaYa wrote: »

make sure you lock them in a bunker first

it'll be in.my apartment, so, same thing, really

• Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    The revenant was good and looked very purdy.

• FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    Rumor: Dwayne Johnson as the Wolfman in the Universal Monster movies.

Yeah, I'll allow it.

• XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    Warcraft is a good movie

there are great movies out there, though

Xehalus wrote: »
    Warcraft is a good movie

This seems like a good impression of it

Like, I'm really glad I watched it! But I probably won't ever need to see it again

I would be very interested in a sequel, though, especially if they can fix the pacing issues from this one

• Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    If that extra 40 minutes of Warcraft exists as a director's cut I would happily watch that

• TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Yeah Warcraft seems like a "wait for the directors cut" movie more than anything

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    Oh, hey, Ip Man 3 is on Netflix.

b1ehrMM.gif
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    If that extra 40 minutes of Warcraft exists as a director's cut I would happily watch that

I've felt this way about a lot of movies, but Warcraft was the worst case of it I think I've seen

That movie needed time to breathe

• fedaykin666fedaykin666 Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    Warcraft is a good movie

I agree with this and am utterly mystified by a critical score around 30%. Durotan's story made the orcs interesting and I suspect his story arc was surprising to non-gaming audience members.

Assuming no knowledge of the lore, I thought this film should be at least around 65-70%. Is it popular to bash gaming culture in "learned circles"? Do you need to grease the right palms to get good reviews and Blizzard failed to do this?

fedaykin666 on
  • ph blakeph blake Registered User regular
    I'm still upset about ID42 not coming out on Independence Day, but I'm seeing it tonight anyways so I hope it's good.

7h8wnycre6vs.png
  • SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »

I've felt this way about a lot of movies, but Warcraft was the worst case of it I think I've seen

That movie needed time to breathe

Yeah. Interestingly the most recent example of this proving true (at least from what I've seen so far) is BvS, where say what you will about whether the film was good or not, the trailer for the "directors cut" is of a far more coherent film compared to the theatrical release.

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
    edited June 2016
    Durotan was my favorite character, absolutely

The orcs were incredibly compelling, which was great and unexpected
    I even thought the orc baby cgi was great? Maybe that won't hold up for long, but considering the last bit of baby cgi I saw was in that Twilight movie, I was pleasantly surprised!

On that note, how cute was that orc baby

Etchwarts on
  • SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    Those Orcs, every one of them was a jaw dropping achievement of effects. Each time they were on screen I was thinking that there was no way that they could keep the shot going for so long, that there would have to be a cut eventually but Jones just held the takes to let you bask in how good they looked. If it doesn't get several effects/makeup nods in awards season it will have been royally snubbed, regardless of how poorly the film did critically.

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
    Warcraft is a good movie

I agree with this and am utterly mystified by a critical score around 30%. Durotan's story made the orcs interesting and I suspect his story arc was surprising to non-gaming audience members.

Assuming no knowledge of the lore, I thought this film should be at least around 65-70%. Is it popular to bash gaming culture in "learned circles"? Do you need to grease the right palms to get good reviews and Blizzard failed to do this?

These people actually don't exist in this case, imho

• RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    Warcraft is a good movie

These people actually don't exist in this case, imho

I mean, I've played maaaybe twenty minutes of WoW, no warcraft, and I have basically no idea what the lore is, I was flabbergasted that orcs came through a portal.

And I went with a complete non-gamer who was very thrilled by the whole thing. So ymmv.

• NeoTomaNeoToma Registered User regular

Yeah juggalo joker fits in perfectly with this world's asthetic

• ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    I unashamedly love the suicide squad look, it's like an early 90s live action punky cheese and I just love it

Also I'm about to go see Independence Day, I have a nostalgia spot for the first and I love jeff goldblum so fingers crossed

Prohass on
    edited June 2016
    I'm always pretty into every Suicide Squad trailer until the Joker shows up

Etchwarts on
  • rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    I hate that I want to see suicide squad because after BvS I told myself I wasn't going to support the DC movies. Except it actually looks fun.

So now, I'm stuck.

• LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    Warcraft is half a good movie and half a pretty bad one.

The Orcs look great, are acted well, have fun dialogue and a compelling plot, and are cheesy in just the right way.

The humans are poorly-acted, poorly-written, and boring. And look like they are cosplaying.

The humans, and the focus on them, drags the movie down.

• Butler For Life #1Butler For Life #1 Twinning is WinningRegistered User regular
    Saw Now You See Me 2 today

which was a lot of fun

I will never get sick of crazy illusions, and the card throwing scene was fantastic

plus it had Dave Franco, who is fun

also I am super proud of the fact that I figured out that
    Thaddeus was Mark Ruffalo's dad's partner midway through the film

I wasn't certain that I was right, but I realized it was possible

• StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Warcraft is half a good movie and half a pretty bad one.

The Orcs look great, are acted well, have fun dialogue and a compelling plot, and are cheesy in just the right way.

The humans are poorly-acted, poorly-written, and boring. And look like they are cosplaying.

The humans, and the focus on them, drags the movie down.

So it was true to the game

• Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    so amazon had that whole kindle lawsuit settlement, and everyone got a credit for cash they spent in the kindle store

i used my credit to buy:

carnosaur
    carnosaur 2
    carnosaur 3
    super mario bros: the movie
    tyrannosaur

because when you get free money, you are obliged to spend it on a theme

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    because when you get free money, you are obliged to spend it on a theme

TRUE

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • RanlinRanlin Oh gosh Registered User regular
    kindle lawsuit?

• Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Ranlin wrote: »
    kindle lawsuit?

From the apple ebook price fixing case. I got $50.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    Just got back from Independence Day. Was totally ok, had a good sense of fun and silliness and if you're a fan of ridiculously big scifi things you'll get a kick out of the main ship. Doesn't have the first ones charm, it gets close, but ends up just getting by at a general 'ok' for most of the runtime. Jeff goldblum was operating at about 60% goldblum so pretty good there

Still, the ship is hilariously big

Prohass on
  • ph blakeph blake Registered User regular
    Just got out of Independence Day.

It was utter shit! It picked up a little in the back half, but the first 40 minutes were spent introducing a bunch of redundant characters with some of the worst "as you know" exposition that I've ever seen. None of the actors had even a tenth of the charisma of Will Smith (the script did them no favors here, and even Goldblum seemed mostly bored), and outside maybe one scene the whole thing just lacked any sense of fun.

7h8wnycre6vs.png
  • GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    rhylith wrote: »
    I hate that I want to see suicide squad because after BvS I told myself I wasn't going to support the DC movies. Except it actually looks fun.

So now, I'm stuck.

It only ever looked fun to me when they used Bohemian Rhapsody.

Which is flat-out cheating.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

This discussion has been closed.