As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[pbp] Ruins of Undermountain (D&D 5e) - ADVENTURE OVER!!! Thanks for Playing!

• BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    Lots of Fiends in here. I hope they get along!

GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • FuselageFuselage Oosik Jumpship LoungeRegistered User regular
    Bursar wrote: »
    Lots of Fiends in here. I hope they get along!

I wonder if the Demon vs Devil thing will rear its ugly Blood War head. Again, feel free to use me as a last resort since I'm in so much stuff.

o4n72w5h9b5y.png
  • Mongrel IdiotMongrel Idiot Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    Presenting Philo Halligen, leader of men.
    From a young age, it was clear that Philo was not only going to be a soldier, but a soldier bound for the upper ranks. Tall, strong, of good health and quick mind, he excelled on the athletic fields and, later, in the militia of the local lord. Skirmishes with goblins in the mountains brought him honor and the trust of his fellow fighters, and he soon found himself a sergeant, leading his men into the fight. He was known as a dedicated and inspiring leader, always looking out for his soldiers even in the thick of a battle.

But his dedication and rapid rise was a double-edged sword. Every soldier could lean on him for every task, and he never passed off what he felt he could do himself, even if other matters pressed on his time. When his soldiers' had no boots, he taught himself cobbling and made them himself, sitting in his tent long into the night to repair and replace footwear. Serving as one of his aides was thought a plum job, for he gave them little work to do, piling ever more on his own shoulders. And, for a while, it seemed he was just strong enough to carry it.

The break came in a fight with orc raiders, when Philo, exhausted from not sleeping for three days as he walked patrols, repaired boots, and kept morale buoyed up, collapsed mid-battle. He had drilled his troops in such a way that losing him cost them all control and formation, and they were swiftly routed, though they managed to drag their beloved leader to safety. Even then his men would not turn on him, but Philo knew in his heart that the judgement of his superiors was right: he had failed his men by not trusting them enough to take some of the burden off of his own shoulders. He was stripped of his rank, and soon left his home, a vagabond on the road.

The world has use for such men, and Philo soon found himself in the company of adventurers. Faced with personalities as strong as his own, he began to learn to rely on them, trust them, fight as a team. Now, the great prize of Undermountain beckons. This time, he would lean on his allies, and together be stronger than they were alone. This time, he would get it right.

Philo Halligen
    Human Fighter (Battlemaster) 3 LG

AC 18 HP 25 Speed 30ft

Str 14 ( 2) Dex 13 (1) Con 12 (1) Wis 10 (0) Int 12 (1) Cha 14 (2)

Attacks
    Longsword (Melee) +4 1d8+2
    Handaxe (Melee) +4 1d6+2
    Handaxe (Thrown) +3 1d6+2

Human skill: Persuasion
    Human Feat: Inspiring Leader (5 temporary HP)
    Second Wind
    Fighting Style: Protection
    Action Surge (1)
    Martial Archetype: Battlemaster
    Student of War: Cobbler's tools
    Superiority Dice: 4d8 (DC 12)
    Maneuver: Distracting Strike
    Maneuver: Maneuvering Attack
    Maneuver: Rally

Edit: Swapped out Commander's Strike in favor of Distracting Strike. Commander's Strike really seems like it won't shine until I've got an extra attack.

Mongrel Idiot on
  • SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    @dresdenphile @ImthebOHGODBEES @Phaserlight @DaMoonRulz @Amigu @Delmain

All of you folks have expressed interest but haven't yet submitted...if you are indeed still interested please get those submissions in in the next few days.

Many of the folks already submitted want to be on backup list (I suspect false modesty :) ). So lets see if we can plump up the A list a little more!

• dresdenphiledresdenphile Watch out for snakes!Registered User regular
    Yep, I'm still working on it.

I miss the old days of 4E where you could crank out a character in 3 minutes with the offline Character Builder...

steam_sig.png
  • DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    Nah, I'm good thanks. Lots of good suggestions in here, I can't compete =P

edited June 2016
    Yep, I'm still working on it.

I miss the old days of 4E where you could crank out a character in 3 minutes with the offline Character Builder...

That really was the most fantastic tool. Alas.

Steelhawk on
  • DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    how are we doing hit points again?

3basnids3lf9.jpg

DaMoonRulz wrote: »
    how are we doing hit points again?

Max at first level and then roll OR take the average after first level.

Hmmmm. I feel like I already got lucky with my stat roll

3basnids3lf9.jpg

Do you get a starting feat and a feat at level 3?

3basnids3lf9.jpg

No. That was 3.5e. In 5e, whenever your class gives you an ability score improvement you can swap that for a feat instead.

• evilthecatevilthecat Registered User regular

variant human will give you a feat at level 1 as well.

tip.. tip.. TALLY.. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
    It was level 3 feat in 4e too, wasn't it? That's the system I'm used to.

Ok, I have to finish putting polish on it and Mythweavers doesn't like yahoo, I guess but:

Half-orc Level 3 War Priest (Cleric)
    18STR
    16CON
    13DEX
    11INT
    16WIS
    13CHA

HP: 27 (using avg)

Planing on using Plate armor and a Maul, with Great Weapon Master as the feat. Just to make sure, I can use the GWM -5 for an attack, then use Guided Strike, right?

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• am0nam0n Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    Sounds like it, but not sure you'd have access to a feat until level 4.

am0n on
    edited June 2016
    As a Half-Orc and a Cleric, then Am0n is correct. You would not have access to a Feat until 4th level when Cleric gives you your first ability point boost, which you would trade in for the Feat.

Steelhawk on
    *shakes fist at 5th edition*

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    Incidentally, you also need to balance ability score gain against Feat bonuses.

You have the choice of raising an ability score by +2, or, gain a Feat which typically raises an ability score (limited to 2 options instead of your choice) by +1 instead in addition to Feat benefits, or doesn't raise ability scores at all and just gives other benefits.

We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Pirate ViperPirate Viper Registered User regular
    The way 5E does ASI's makes it a tough call when it comes to deciding if a feat is worth it or not. One of my favorite parts of the design

@DaMoonRulz definitely has the stats to support a feat or two. It'll just take one ASI to max STR and two for WIS if he wanted that.

o4n72w5h9b5y.png
  • NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    The way 5E does ASI's makes it a tough call when it comes to deciding if a feat is worth it or not. One of my favorite parts of the design

that's why I took Athlete for my character in this. Having a weird stat line up was bugging the shit out of me, but I wanted that particular line up of point bought stats. +1str just saved me from agonizing over great weapon master or upping stats and still having the weird point layout.

now with Athlete, I'm almost expecting a Vegeta personality out of this guy. He gets knocked down and just gets right back up and hits you back.

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
    So I don't really know the deities of 5e. Is Kord around?

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    Waterdeep is faerun so thats a good start. Just add bahamut cuz dragons yo

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • Pirate ViperPirate Viper Registered User regular
    So I don't really know the deities of 5e. Is Kord around?

Kord was a Greyhawk Deity, Tempus might be applicable, he's a forgotten realms God of war and battles.

Everything I know about D&D is through the lens of 4e

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    Gods are more of a setting than an edition thing anyway, so any Faerun deity is likely fine.

We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
    Ok, lemme Google faerun real quick

3basnids3lf9.jpg

Ok, lemme Google faerun real quick

or you could tell us what you like in a deity!
    wanna be loyal? honourable?
    wanna be a tree hugging hippy?
    is your god good or bad?

edited June 2016
    Well I was thinking a War Priest of Kord, but he's not around so then I was thinking someone who had a different interpretation of Erathis (also not around, I know)

DaMoonRulz on
    3basnids3lf9.jpg

Well I was thinking a War Priest of Kord, but he's not around so then I was thinking someone who had a different interpretation of Erathis (also not around, I know)

kord is ... kinda vague :p
    the things he stands for are covered by several faerun gods.

athletics and sports, lathander.
    storms, talos.
    brawling, strength, courage, tempus, torm.

those, I feel, are good human options.
    If you're a midget or have pointy ears I'd have to go rummaging through the scag again.

Half-Orc. I guess I'll just go with Tempus .

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• GaddezGaddez Registered User regular

Tempus is a good Half-orc god; He's effectively the god of destruction (though most people just associate him with Storms). As a side benefit, it gets you access to the Storm Domain which is pretty whomp ass for brawly priests..

BTW, I'm going to see about spitting out a character or two for this; Only thing holding me back is that we seem to have a preponderance of melee and magic characters and I was kind of angling to play as either a fighter or a barbarian.

I'll see what I can come up with.

Gaddez wrote: »

Tempus is a good Half-orc god; He's effectively the god of destruction (though most people just associate him with Storms). As a side benefit, it gets you access to the Storm Domain which is pretty whomp ass for brawly priests..

BTW, I'm going to see about spitting out a character or two for this; Only thing holding me back is that we seem to have a preponderance of melee and magic characters and I was kind of angling to play as either a fighter or a barbarian.

I'll see what I can come up with.

More Skulls for @Steelhawk's Skull Throne!

o4n72w5h9b5y.png
  • El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    Dammit I lost my backstory when the browser reset, and I was editing instead of writing a new post, so no draft :-/

I'll rewrite it tomorrow, sorry!

Errr.
    Tempus is the god of honourable warfare.
    Not storms. There's a significant difference.

That's true....Talos is the god of Storms. Tempus is the god of War.

Were you looking to the human side for a god or the orc side? No orc can go wrong with Gruumsh. :)

Page 296 of the PHB has list of gods across the various D&D worlds. If you want to dig deeper then the link takes you to a wiki page. Going to the Demi deities I think will drill down to something that fits better. (Garagos? Uthgar?)

I was looking at Gruumsh, but I thought he tended to be more evil. I'm just gonna go with Tempus; my original thought was a kind of misguided sects interpretation of a God of Progress/Civilization in that Warfare is one of the leading causes of advancement, so if you're always fighting, you're always moving forward. But, he'll probably die, so I'm not gonna put THAT much effort into it.

3basnids3lf9.jpg

I know it's GoT night, but if you guys could lock down your submissions that'd be awesome. :)

I will choose a starting line up tomorrow (Monday) night and we'll get this party started soon after!

• BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2016
    I'm going to use Steelhawk's generous option to reroll and just point buy (27 points from the PHB, p. 13). I'm still going with the previous build of STR-weak and DEX-high, but the values have changed.
    For the math involved, I'm going 9/15/11/12/14/11, for 1+9+3+4+7+3=27 points
    Updated character sheet and stat block within this spoiler, and I've edited my previous character post.
    Barran "Mouthy" Beanfinger
    Stout Halfling Rogue (Arcane Trickster) 3 LN

AC 15 HP 20 Speed 25ft

Str 9 (-1) Dex 17 (3) Con 12 (1) Wis 12 (1) Int 14 (2) Cha 11 (0)

Attacks
    Rapier (melee) +5 1d8+3 pierce
    Hand Crossbow (range) +5 1d6+3 pierce
    Fire Bolt (ranged) +4 1d10 fire
    Dagger (melee / range) +5 1d6+3 pierce

LUCKY:
    Can reroll a 1 on an attack, ability check, or saving throw (must take the 2nd roll)

BRAVE:
    Advantage on saving throws vs fear

NIMBLE:
    Can move through the space of any creature larger than myself

STOUT RESILIENCE:
    Adv. on poison saves, resistance to poison dmg

BY POPULAR DEMAND:
    Can obtain free room & lodging when performing each night, and is recognized in public (liked)

EXPERTISE:
    doubled proficiency bonus with:
    thieves' tools, Perception

SNEAK ATTACK:
    Once per turn, add 1D6 dmg to attacks when I have advantage (finesse or ranged weapons), or the target has something else hostile to it within 5ft

THIEVES' CANT:
    Secret rogue language (hidden in Common) and secret signs

CUNNING ACTION:
    Bonus Actions: Dash, Disengage, Hide, Mage Hand control

Bursar on
    GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • am0nam0n Registered User regular
    Steelhawk wrote: »
    I know it's GoT night, but if you guys could lock down your submissions that'd be awesome. :)

I will choose a starting line up tomorrow (Monday) night and we'll get this party started soon after!

My life for Hire!