As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Middle Aged Sketchbook

jimmyblevinsjimmyblevins SirPenny ArcadeRegistered User regular
edited June 2016 in Artist's Corner
EDIT: I changed my title from "New Sketchbook" to "Middle Aged Sketchbook" b/c after 2 yrs it is now Middle Aged.

Hello everyone. I didn't know what to put for the title and thinking of something clever would give me a headache, so I just put that.
I'm trying to get closer to how I want my art to look and I thought perhaps some outside perspective would be helpful. If you don't want to criticize that is fine
with me, sometimes I find it is just as helpful if people can simply describe what it is they are seeing.

I don't have any professional goals right now, I'm just trying to get better. The kind of art I like and that gives off the feel I am going for tends to be realistic but also expressive. I recently like Piotr Jablonski, Jeff Jones, Alek Maleev, among others. I like the art in East of West, and some of the value arrangements in V for Vendetta and From Hell (as well as the architecture and carriages). I like anime art, though I don't actually watch anime that often, but like Blade of the Immortal and those kinds of strange character designs. I like Art Nouveau too and the Baroque/chiarascuro style of painting. I do also like stuff
like Dada, but I'm not choosing to focus on those techniques here.

Right now I'm trying to work on values, as well as composition and perspective. I also want to draw things of greater variety such as environments and such. Enough variety so that I can create a world that looks like it can be inhabited and give a context to my thoughts.

Here's a couple recent things that can show you about where I'm at right now -- I feel kinda of embarassed honestly having just listed my goals, but anyways

They're all the same character (Alvin, an evil pilgrim)

73rj22o10aeu.jpg
jb7s0p4t1hn4.jpg
yk99gtd7xy0p.jpg

Some more. Different characters though.

0j718gwygmr6.jpg

60rwoh96ofdk.jpg

jimmyblevins on

• Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    Considering your influences, I feel like if you want to push yourself forward, you would benefit from a Noah's Art Camp or something similar. Maybe check out the Various enrichment threads we have for some ideas on what to practice.

These all seem to have a really cool mood, but perhaps lack some of the fundamental structure they need to hold them together. With stuff this abstract, its going to be hard to get the critiques you are truly craving. I suggest doing some studies, they will be hard, but in the end you'll feel accomplished, and the feed back you'll get on them will get to the very core of your short comings.

• Options
    jimmyblevinsjimmyblevins Sir Penny ArcadeRegistered User regular
    I have been doing quite a few studies: plein air, life, figure drawing. I have some art books too (including the Gurney one which you linked to) that I should copy from more. As well as a book on military vehicles and military history that I haven't used as much as I would like.

But here are some studies I've done, I didn't post them before because I felt that they would be boring to people.

A decorative egg from grandmother's house:

pj8dhzcvticg.jpg

A corner of our house:

h283oaqlsapb.jpg

Our garage:

bkd5lr17l91j.jpg

Figure drawing:

g6i4bhf4gmjw.jpg

• Options
    Nice. Your studies are looking pretty good.

Everything has a bit of a rushed quality to it, it may be a good idea to push yourself to refine something. The first piece in the thread is the only one that strikes me as looking done, with the edges looking refined an nothing looking haphazard. The decorative egg strikes me as something that could be really strong with just a little more pushing. Going for that second or third lap on a painting can make a huge difference sometimes.

• Options
    Iruka wrote: »
    Nice. Your studies are looking pretty good.

Everything has a bit of a rushed quality to it, it may be a good idea to push yourself to refine something. The first piece in the thread is the only one that strikes me as looking done, with the edges looking refined an nothing looking haphazard. The decorative egg strikes me as something that could be really strong with just a little more pushing. Going for that second or third lap on a painting can make a huge difference sometimes.

Yeah you're right. It's rare that I'll stick with something for more than several hours. I like to do it all in one or two sittings.

The egg I just started it in the afternoon then stopped when I had to go home, so that was the end of that one.

I had some new ideas for stuff last night in bed. I think that if I can get the value and color relationships right it'll go a long towards to making my stuff look more complete. The first one I actually didn't spend that much more time on than some of the other ones, but it did use the ruler and ellipitical tools a lot more than in the other imagination ones, so that may be partly why it looks cleaner. The thing I don't like about that one is that it's too symmetrical in terms of perspective and value arrangement.

• Options
    Word. I look forward to seeing what you produce after a little pushing. Learning to complete things is a thing I'm still struggling with, personally. There's alot of points in a painting where you want to put things down and just move on to the next one. You wont always have to dump 20-30 hours into a work, but doing it a couple times does teach you a lot about your own process. After a while, you'll become more efficient at doing certain things, which will help you set things up faster.

• Options
    I worked on this top one off and on this week. I.....don't know what to say about it. I think hard mix blend mode can be really cool and wicked looking.
    There's also the concept that I based this off, which character I drew last year. Now I actually have a Haswell processor in my computer.

Also, I just threw in something that I did for my art assignment on Coursera (I'm taking Live!), just because it's a bit different from what I normally do and it's more craftsy and not as digital.

r4whpu4mgjj8.jpg

db81h9hlomg5.jpg

ah4qddpp2zov.jpg

• Options
    Hello I'm back after my hiatus. I was just watching fireworks, they were quite nice but monotonous in a way.

Did a study of my room. ~4 hours or so, till my tail bone got bruised from sitting in the corner on a hard wood floor.

f6j2vdimve6a.jpg

Something moody.

07dg2l042wio.jpg

Made a new brush. Made a guy with cow horns and no face.

9ug9cbagsv6r.jpg

Gang fight comic

5fyzio9cwazf.jpg
    lxnl1jzck1x9.jpg
    2ka59souxeue.jpg

I was staring at my bed sheets one morning and thought they looked like a rock formation so I drew them and turned them into rocks.

wmhvrlkxodjf.jpg

Janitor

umoet7p9cfo5.jpg

A god named Bangdurak and the little disc faces who accompany him.

injyooz3p7mi.jpg

Pen sketches

g5z1nn9loroj.jpg

• Options
    Hey bro welcome back.

Some solid improvements in some areas. I love the studies and the imagined rock formations. I feel like You have a really odd relationship with hard and soft edges, some of your images are all soft, and some of them are all hard. I suggest in images like the disc faces and the rocks, you start practicing material definition and edge control. How do you get those rocks to really look different from the sky and grass? Some of this is going to take longer than you may be used to working, and maybe seem like a tedious task, but in the long run you want your work to be able to look clean when that's what it call for.

I can see a bit of that East of West influence in the comic, and I caution you from rushing panels. It really sticks out in that drawing of the knife.

• Options
    edited September 2014
    The rocks should have harder edges. The disc face one I think the poses look too unnatural and the picture was not planned out properly. The saturation and color on the bricks bothers me too, and the haphazard manner of their sizes.

The last page of the comic is bad imo. The knife doesn't bother me much actually, though the linework on the grip isn't very subtle. The worst thing to me is that the environment is uninspired. That's why I'd never submit the comic and stopped working on it actually. I just couldn't place the characters anywhere and kept adding clouds to make interesting shape patterns.

And it bothers me that I can't do a scene with iconic poses, and sweeping panoramic vistas.

jimmyblevins on
  • Options
    Hello again....I disappeared for awhile, but am now back again. I saw the Schoolism thread that was posted in this forum awhile ago and it caught my interest. Actually last week I subscribed for 1 yr. for Schoolism and decided to go for the Gesture Drawing course with Alex Woo, who is a story artist at Pixar, b/c it seemed like a pretty foundational course. I finished it yesterday and thought I would post some of the Assignments I did for critique. We did like, millions of gesture drawings, and gesture drawing is never something I've been particularly great at b/c my drawing style is slow and not fast. So it's been a challenge, especially the 30 sec ones. It was also a fun way to draw though. It wasn't like the other the Figure Drawing books I read, like Michael Hampton's, where they tell you to use "C" and "S" lines, and never straight lines. And to use wrapping lines, etc. .etc...
    I think by the end of the course I was more comfortable just "going for it" with my ideas and not worrying about whether or not I had the knowledge/skill to actually pull them off. Also it was fun to make little stories for the characters you come up with. I bought $5.00 worth of Switches, so I'm probably going to Andrew Hou's Introduction to Digital Painting course next. That seems like a good idea, so I can learn about blending and coloring value comps and such.

Here are some of the Exercises we did for the course. There were 7 assignments, covering Line of Action, Shape, Silhouette, Space, Exaggeration, Extrapolation, and Story. Alex was really big on "Cafe Drawing", but I hate going to public places and sitting around for hours, so I cheated and just used gesture drawing tools for a couple hours a day.

As you can see I really mucked up some of the exercises and missed the point of them because I'm not used to thinking in terms of L o A and Shape.

Line of Action (30 sec drawings from ref. I made these too much like stick figures):

lk86dew9zzvg.jpg

Shapes (30 sec - 1 min, no ref. I made these too much like silhouettes):

ep66yplsezk7.jpg

Silhouettes (1 min, ref.):

qya48g3dln0y.jpg

Space (1 min, ref. Left handed (dominant hand)):

az449r4dd1yo.jpg

Space (1 min, ref. Right handed (subordinate hand), I like aspects of these better than my left handed drawings):

b44udkgkb6nx.jpg

Exaggeration (1 min, ref.):

ccxftnl3dub7.jpg

Extrapolation (2 min, ref., for this exercise we were supposed to study an animal, and then look at poses from human models and transfer the ideas in the pose onto a realistic animal pose. I could not do this very well. I had a lot of difficulty in particular figuring out how to get a giraffe to hold a long rifle.):

mczvcz2s0yao.jpg

875s4ehppu42.jpg

Story (5 min per pose, ref. We were supposed to take a series of poses from a model and turn them into a story. I really liked this exercise, though it was pretty hard to come up with stories on the fly. It was like storyboarding. I picked for my main character a Super Hero who is basically like my version of Superman and all of his travails):

(This one is about him getting abducted by Aliens and stuck in a glass cage where is electrocuted for sport, but then he breaks free and the Aliens are sad):
    b0mf46a7jwci.jpg

(This one is called "The Fraternity of the Star" and is about my Super Hero abandoning his old chest symbol to join the Star symbol Super Heroes)
    gp44beqdy0vo.jpg

(This one is about how he goes into the sewers one day and finds a bunch of smelly dead sewer rats. He tells the investigators about them b/c he doesn't know what to do, then he barfs, then he gets his little sidekick to give him deodorant to spray the rats with):
    x4tlmc8nad00.jpg

Finally, I did these Gestures too one night for practice just drawing random shit:

nr25780gmjhz.jpg

• Options
    It looks like you had alot of fun with the course, which is great! I'm personally in love with the giraffe.

I'm excited to see what comes out of the digital painting course for you, I think it will really be a good step forward.

• Options
    Yeah me too. I'm just waiting for them to process the switch...it's taken like 2 days now. I know they have to manually do it but they said they'd do it the next business day. I get an error message every time I try to switch and it says to either wait or contact them, so I contacted them but haven't heard back and don't know what is going on. I don't know what their business days are though or where they are based out of (I'm guessing California).

• Options
    They are obnoxiously slow and the system they have for this is ridiculous. I've complained about it myself, its silly that they are doing switches manually.

• Options
    I think I actually hyperventilated a bit though too, because I forgot that I didn't send the e-mail on 6/23 and instead decided to wait a day before sending it. So I sent it on 6/24/16, and the next business day would actually be Monday probably then.

Hopefully Monday my request gets completed. It'd really be nice if it were all automatic.

I checked their Kickstarter and found out that Schoolism is actually based in Canada btw, which makes sense since that's where their house is located. I just guessed California b/c that's where Hollywood is and they're having a workshop in San Francisco.

• Options
    Well, my class got switched today. I ended up e-mailing Schoolism through my g-mail account, instead of through their dashboard e-mail, which I'm not sure if that thing works b/c I've never gotten reply through it yet.

I was going through some of the Hogarth's Heads book, so I tried to learn something there

46zzdyfzo17e.jpg

hky13urmhcds.jpg

6iipxjnk5vn5.jpg

Did some quick drawings/studies of Barber's Hands too, b/c I needed to figure out how Barbers hold scissors and such to cut hair:

7nkqkikgc7gv.jpg

oojcaq5ikapn.jpg

• Options
    Sorry, I just wanted to throw this in here too. Some random person told me it looks like emo Bob Ross. It's supposed to kind of similar in feeling to the video of the well from The Ring.

77o9z6tjq1e4.jpg

• Options
    Thank you for the hearts. I've been going through Andrew Hou's Introduction to Digital Painting this week. I got to Assignment 4. I'm not enthusiastic about much of what I've done for this course so far, at the same time I feel like I'm learning some more aspects of Photoshop that I've never really used before like the lasso tool and fill. I don't feel like my actual drawing skills have improved though, so it seems less useful in that regard. I do like the cell shading technique though, and the quick lassoing stuff that he does is really a novelty to me b/c I've never much liked the lasso tool. Usually I just do my character selections by redlining the silhouette of the character and then magic wanding it. Oh and I learned something that was actually quite useful about the lasso and fill tool, which is that if you turn off anti-aliasing then you don't get that annoying little "empty" space of pixels when you fill something. I still do not like the grey scale coloring method...I just can't get it to work for me. It was also somewhat useful to know that you can mask groups. I think I discovered that on my own, but I forgot about it or didn't realize its importance.

Lesson 1, just random sketching, but we were supposed to use a normal grey layer and then a multiply layer on top. I think? It doesn't really seem to matter to him what we do though. And actually I've watched him change his sketch method in this course, b/c sometimes he does his technique where he just silhouettes the character in blocks, but then later on in the cell shading assignment he drew it with lines. Nothing wrong with that...I was just torn b/c I wasn't using his silhouette technique when I was sketching earlier and felt somewhat guilty, but then he went and changed it anyways so I needn't have felt guilty at all.

xomxisw1duiq.jpg

Lesson 2: Practicing Rendering. We were supposed to take the outlines of random shapes he drew and then fill the same shapes with values in different ways to make them look different. Also, we had to sketch a character and then light it from different angles. I drew Samara from the Ring.

pf8dw7cbfz8g.jpg

f3avvyny9ej6.jpg

Sketch

koun4v4zvddm.jpg

and the lighting schemes

4mrnnqodaxhz.jpg

jpgyt036j0r4.jpg

q5jdjh7de584.jpg

Lesson 3: We were supposed to do the sketch, then the rendering with multiply. Then color it with Color, Saturation, Multiply, Overlay, and a Normal layer. I can't remember the order...I don't think it's really that important.

0vlz2ikrm4pr.jpg

Lesson 4: Cell Shading. This relied very heavily on lasso selections and fills. I did a football player for something different.

0jp6ahof00b4.jpg

• Options
    Hey Man.

Overall I think these are good assignments. They seem to be forcing you out of your comfortzone and making you think about photoshop as the rather large tool that it is. Thats a really good thing, as getting too settled into a workflow can make it hard to achieve new things. Theres a lot of different ways to tackle digital painting. Trying out new things helps you be flexible and use techniques that best facilitate the results you want, rather than using the same five tools because they are what you always use.

The ring girl and the football player are looking pretty fun. The buffalo thing seems to lack any commitment to the forms, so everything looks overly rounded. The cell shading really benefits from the commitment to hard edges, but try to find them in your painterly work as well.

I like the shape studies, but notice that theres a bit of messiness there as well. Try to nail the blending/hard edges on those. Pushing yourself for cleanliness in those small studies is what helps make it come more naturally when working on larger pieces. You are breaking your problems down into small parts. Next time I'm at my computer I'll see if I can do a little paint over of what I mean.

• Options
    Yeah, that's what is nice about having a teacher tell you what to do, because they get you to try stuff you normally wouldn't. Or at least, sometimes you try something, but you don't commit to it b/c you don't have the confidence to keep going forward since you don't know if you're right. But a teacher can help you see the potential of it.

I'm still working on this method of colouring b/c I'm not really satisfied with what I've done with it. My poor buffalo has unrealized potential. I think I know what you mean about hard/soft edges, because normally I do the sketch, which is all hard edges, then I do the rendering, which is all soft edges, then there's the step where you have to mix the hard/soft together so the character reads and isn't messy looking. I didn't actually do that part.

I think it'd be pretty exciting to have a paint over. It's always nice to see what decisions other people would have made instead and how they interpret things.

I'm still going to keep circling back on this coloring method for awhile probably even as I keep doing other assignments. I like the cell shading look too b/c of how clean it is, but you really have to have great linework to make it work.

It'd be nice if Schoolism had an anatomy class. I'm surprised they don't, except for Animals. Which is interesting though too, since I don't know much about animal anatomy. I imagine it'd be similar to human anatomy in some respects.

• Options
    I don't think Schoolism really has someone who can handle a pure anatomy course. I'd recommend proko or watts, but if you are already paying into schoolism I would just offset it with free proko videos (watts would be another subscription, and is pricey)

Anatomy is one of those things where I think learning tips and shortcuts from already heavily stylized illustrators can be misleading. Human anatomy is a large subject and proko does a good job of teaching it through structure. When you learn the muscle groups, how they interact, and how fat deposits cover them, you can apply that knowledge to a larger range of things. In the end though, you will probably have to cobble together many anatomy resources and refer to them often. Good list of books in this thread: http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/196617/anatomy-resource-masterpost/p1?new=1

• Options
    I'm going to buy Hogarth's Dynamic Anatomy at some point. His head book is pretty technical compared to Michael Hampton, but I like his drawings better. I don't really try to exactly copy them all since I tried that approach before and it just is boring and doesn't work for me, but I like how they look.

I'll really try anything though because having different instructors tell you basically the same thing in different ways helps me remember.

I did this one today, it's for Assignment 5 of Andrew Hou's course. This time we just coloured our character on a normal layer and used the eyedropper tool a bunch.

I picked U.S. chess GM Hikaru Nakamura for the character, but I redrew him as a Union Cavalry officer

k9h4ybmp7mmr.jpg

• Options
    Finished up the rest of the course. Overall it went pretty well. I ended up spending a lot more time on the last assignment than I intended to, but oh well. I had to go through quite a few paintings before I could settle on one, because either the lighting was off or they were lacking in energy.

Lesson 6 was the custom brush lesson. It gave me an excuse to finally organize my brushes, which were getting quite messy between the ones I had made and the ones I'd downloaded, most of which I never used anymore. We were supposed to do a drawing with the custom brushes, which included brushes based off photos and other sorts of special effect texture brushes, besides the normal type of brushes.

etnds5iazk0a.jpg

Lesson 7 was all about painting environments. It was pretty much a huge lesson packed into a couple lectures and it was impossible for me to learn everything. For the assignment we were supposed to do 6 thumbnail sketches of a character of our choosing in a variety of settings and lighting arrangements. I followed what he did in the lesson, where you draw a couple characters, and then just place them in different environments. I liked the idea of having little premade stock characters for myself anyways that I could just manipulate around. I drew Ryu & Ken for my characters.

pqzou5pmvk3i.jpg

fn3gf0dqgtfi.jpg

Then I put them in these little technical environments where I just tried to focuss on one detail at a time:

f9ybdlcyx0oa.jpg

And then the last assignment was just to draw a character in an environment of a similar complexity to the one he drew in his acccompanying video lecture, so I drew this spaceman running from a horde of angry monsters:

zjz7tohjyqmf.jpg

And then tonight I went back and worked on Lesson 3, to try that Coloring from greyscale method again that I can never get to look natural. I drew GM Magnus Carlsen this time, as a Viking b/c he's from Norway.

cmggxn5wk3yl.jpg

All my colours look washed out as fuck on this computer.

• Options
    Magnus seems to have short legs. Ken seems to be suffering from some pixelated edges on the leg especially, it looks a bit harsh.

Really like the space alien painting. There's a nice leap in skill from the first paintings in the OP, and that's awesome. It seems like you are taking to the classes really well. I would look into proko's anatomy teachings, I think you would benefit a ton.

• Options
    Magnus does have stubby legs..oops. He can still play chess with them at least. Ken's pixelated edges are b/c I turned off the anti aliasing when I did the lasso selections. I'm not really sure why Ryu doesn't have them. Maybe b/c I drew him at a larger resolution so they aren't as obvious.

I've been doing some anatomy studies sparingly here and there. I feel a bit guilty about not doing more of it honestly. I try to fit it in with the Schoolism classes and my other drawing, but I usually end up coming a bit short. If Proko had assignments and told me what to do that would be great. I know I'm supposed to set my own pace, but sometimes it's nice to have a professional tell you that you have to do X for Y amount of time, the way that Alexander Woo did in his course. I'll definitely look at them at some point, but not yet. Or maybe I will...I have no idea. I"ll probably change my mind. Studying anatomy books on your own can get a bit dry.

After I finished Andrew Hou's course, I decided to take a quick detour and do Thomas Fluharty's Drawing Fundamentals. I wasn't really sure if it would be worth it or not, but it was only 4 assignments and 5 lessons, so I just did it this week. (Btw, I figured out why my course switches were so damn slow. When I went into my account profile, the lines that were supposed to have my e-mail address and password were both blank. So I filled in my e-mail address again, and I updated my password. Now everything seems to be working. Not sure how that happened....)

Lesson 1 was about Seeing. Specifically seeing shapes in objects. We were supposed to draw a giraffe, from ref provided, in a simple made up scene:

xwb7nr72w50w.jpg

Turns out Thomas Fluharty does not like lines in drawings..so I stopped doing that after this assignment

Lesson 2 was about value. We were supposed to draw a lion statue from the ref provided (I don't know if I'm allowed to show these refs or not, since they are part of the course material on Schoolism). Then we were supposed to pick either another lion to draw, or an angel statue. I picked the angel because I did not feel like rendering another lion's mane:

l9lqk89ksall.jpg

I spent forever and a day on this Angel..

n7kse40cap2r.jpg

Lesson 3 was on Perspective. 1pt, 2pt, 3pt. We got a picture of the White House and had to draw from that:

45arbez3bdbl.jpg

Lesson 4 was Composition. Basically, use the Rule Thirds. That's the most concrete thing I got out of it. We were supposed to take the 5 photos provided to us and turn them into a novel composition. The pictures were 1) a park scene with trees and a bench, 2) a statue of Charles Dickens, 3) 4) 5) were all dogs running around and/or catching frisbees.

klsoeei8g7i4.jpg

Besides that Schoolism stuff, I did some anatomy drawings from Vanderpoel:

yq4wb8wz9p4m.jpg

I also started making some characters:

fcxe3r3xaz41.jpg

bnowoipmumyk.jpg

2tqz0154caha.jpg

• Options
    Proko's courses do have assignments, as far as I'm aware. It seems very intensive as it breaks down the body by muscle groups and really has you focus in on them, but it seems like an effective method to learn.

I think these studies came out nice though, and I do understand the motivation of being in class and having someone give you assignments.

I think that the angel is pretty strong, but it seems like in places your rendering is a bit haphazard. Are you working at low resolutions?

• Options
    edited August 2016
    I like methodical things like that. I am going to check it out at some point because I do want to learn more about anatomy. I'd least like to be able to have a knowledge of how to break the muscles down into planes, b/c I think that will really help me with shading. I can kind of do this with some of the parts, but not all of them.

For the angel, I was actually working at 3000 x 2000, but I zoomed in to like 200% when I was drawing. Here I'll show you what I was actually working with before I cropped it:

i9znvyc2ohnn.jpg

Don't ask me why I zoomed in so much to do the drawing. I think it's a bad habit from when I was in the Gesture Drawing course. I would just take a huge canvas size, and then zoom in to 200% -300% so that I could fit in a lot of drawings while still getting full range of motion with my pen.

I'm taking Sam Nielsen's course right now. It's kind of kicking my butt. I've been going pretty slow through the lectures b/c it's been quite a bit more scientific than I'm used to from an art course. I really don't know a lot about many of the things he's talking about w/r/t the properties of light.

I did the first two assignments so far. One thing I really do like about these assignments though is that the video feedback is actually quite useful, b/c since everyone is doing the exact same drawing with practically the same lighting set up, the critiques he gives are more generally applicable. That's how I know I messed up a lot.

Here's the first one, we were just supposed to shade this object he drew for us using only values, with the light source coming from top and front (I realized too after I saved the .jpg that I took my texture off, whoops...):

sxzblx1bxiad.jpg

The second one was like the first, but then we have to put some colors on the values and remember about how all the lights will interact. It's a lot to think about. Then we have to put a texture on one of the objects, and integrate that into the lighting scheme.

lvjpruyufdzm.jpg

I also drew some levels for my imaginary game. First I did the day time scene, then I painted over it w/ some blend layers to make an evening and night scene. It's supposed to be a battlefield:

kocglm5qswq5.jpg

ndl3yu77oavw.jpg

anf6e7kwf9j4.jpg

I drew a detail shot of a weapon too. I gave it claws and shells for the stats b/c swords and shields seemed weird since it makes it seem too 1:1

hvzu9hjbwzem.jpg

Then I did a version of the Balanced Soldier where he is powered up:

jugxelq40p1i.jpg

EDIT: I tried to fix the leg a little on this this morning b/c it looked pretty weird in hindsight

ad153a5oazlr.jpg

jimmyblevins on
  • Options
    I did a few more lessons in Sam Nielson's course.

The 3rd one was mainly about Specular reflections and the range of surface types between Pure Reflective materials like Chrome, and Lambertian surfaces that scatter the light a lot more. We got 2 pictures painted by Sam Neilson: 1 was a background picture and the other was an external picture that we were supposed to imagine reflecting off the specular surfaces. I just blurred the background picture so that it wouldn't be distracting. Obviously you can't see the other picture except in the reflection, because it would be behind the viewer. The point of the exercise was to make sure that the objects had variable levels of specularity and looked like they were a part of a scene.

cbtpl0ptw1pu.jpg

The 4th lesson was on Translucence and Refraction, meaning like skin and glass and that type of stuff. In the assignment, basically we were supposed to make it all look realistic. The glass with the liquid and reflections, the grapes with their sub surface scattering, and the air filled rubber ball.

gyaws18ix6fm.jpg

The 5th lesson was on fur and hair. We were provided w/ a drawing of this monster that looks like it's from Where the Wild Things Are and had to give it all sorts of different hair types/lengths. It was also supposed to have a key light, rim light, and fill light.

kunsonzn8lsx.jpg

I did a weapon made out of fur b/c I thought I needed some more practice at it and I liked the idea of a fur weapon

r3kjdvk2ipch.jpg

Then I did another weapon w/ an iridescent handle to practice that weird phenomenon

mkawktvjpnk1.jpg

Then I did some more power ups (I didn't actually do any of these things in the order in which I'm listing them)

ic56avcngth4.jpg

ytzdcshmr5lr.jpg

And I set aside some time and I went through Riven Phoenix's Blender tutorial for sculpting a person. It was pretty formulaic, so it didn't require much guesswork on my part until we started getting into the fine details, at which point it's pretty much artistic license to model as I see fit. I was pretty pleased w/ how this went along, considering that when I initially tried to model something I couldn't make the outline of a head.

gdmvbnevrczr.png

a2kf76tyvmf0.png

• Options
    I think that Sam neilson stuff is coming along. I've been meaning to actually do those assignments myself. The second one, theres some weird things like the liquid in that glass coming all the way to the edge (there should be some evidence of the glass that contains it), and the objects dont quite feel grounded to me.

I really like the fuzzy fox sword, and in general feel like you've been taking steps forward in your lighting. I feel like maybe @ChicoBlue or @Angel_of_Bacon are better suited to actually say something substantial about the lighting, if they have the time.

• Options
    edited August 2016
    Haha, I agree w/ you about the liquid coming to the edge b/c it seemed kind of weird to me too. I did it that way b/c Sam Nielson said in the lecture though that the liquid should touch the edge of the glass. I don't know..maybe there should still be a hint of it? I should actually look at a glass of liquid sometime and analyze that aspect. EDIT: I looked at glass w/ water in it and it does look like the water goes right up to the edge. I tested it too by pressing my finger right up against the inside of the glass. The glass is half full, and when my finger gets into the water, its reflection in the water shifts over so that it looks like it's pressed right up to the very edge.

I think you're right about the grounding too. Part of it is probably b/c the objects are so much more rendered than the table cloth they are on, and the other thing is, I had some trouble with the shadows. Particularly the one for the glass. I just didn't know what to do with it at first, so I had to find a reference on bing and try to infer from that what the shadow would look like.

I started doing the Proko videos this week and last week. I drew some of the cubes, and tried to use Blender to try and help me w/ the perspective. I also started the figure drawing part. I wasn't sure if I should do that, or the anatomy first. Anatomy is more interesting to me, but my figure drawing isn't exactly great either. I can do both too I guess. But anyways I started the figure drawing and watched the 'Bean' video, then I did this drawing to try and practice the bean and twisting of forms:

512mz8pq0uu8.jpg

Then I did a couple more Sam Nielson assignments. I always feel pretty intimidated when I try to start these b/c I feel like there's so much to remember and I'll never remember it all.

The first ones are for the Skin lesson. Sam provided two line drawings. 1 is of a guy, and the other is of a girl. We were supposed to color them in and give them value. The emphasis was on the skin, eyes, lips, ears, and trying to get them looking realistic. I ended up doing both b/c I did the guy, and I watched the video feedback, and wanted to do better, so I did the girl then.

5ottire7bfte.jpg

c05yzabfloze.jpg

This next assignment was about atmospheric perspective. Again, I'm painting a line drawing provided by Sam. We could pick whatever lighting direction we wanted, but the mountains were supposed to show a clear shadow and light side.

9vtaqfoq6jz5.jpg

I also did another 3d render on Blender. This time I did the whole thing on my own. I'm probably gonna try to add some hair and maybe texture at some point. I have no idea how to either of those things right now.

v9nrdsoj1sjs.jpg

8dju7xdrvv88.jpg

jimmyblevins on
  • Options
    looking at glass reference, (https://www.yellowoctopus.com.au/media/catalog/product/w/-/w-whisky-stone-stainless199521.jpg) I dont know how to describe whats happening, but there is some indication of the thickness of the glass, its not the liquid not touching the sides, but the elipses of the surface showing the inner shape of the glass. If you look at the edges of the surface, thick glass causes some distortion. it does not seem to be the case for thin glass, or certain angles, but worth more observation.

The cloud/mountain one seems a bit flat, I think the brush texture is a bit too raw. The foreground cloud has some blue around it on the edge where it overlaps with the mountain, which is weird,

Overall, though, its really nice to see your steady pace.

• Options
    I see what you're saying with that reference, because the sides of the liquid shape look like they're wrapping around the top surface and there's a space between them. I have a glass of orange juice here and I can get it to do the same effect in real life. I'll try to keep this in mind, but I don't understand it other than as some trick of light. Maybe it has something to do with the Fresnel Effect?

My rocks always stink. I worked them over a couple times and eventually I just decided to move on. I think I didn't go dark enough on the clouds either.

Here are a couple more things I did recently:

This was Assignment 8 for Sam Nielson's Schoolism class. It was painting water. The only thing I painted in this picture was the water. Everything
    else is a matte painting that Sam did as background. The water is supposed to be realistic looking, as usual, and that is what I was going for. So there should be caustic effects, color change depending on depth, reflections, waves, a flow to the water, etc.

aatcol4dk6vd.jpg

I did some more drawings to practice the Bean too. I didn't really feel like just drawing a bunch of beans so I drew a bean to establish the pose and then
    drew a full character.

I took the design for the soldier from the soldiers in Hunchback of Notre Dame. I thinned the lines out on them a bit too.

q6hfw6u8uf2z.jpg

l1f704z4515o.jpg

mw5j4f9bv9vt.jpg

x9kzrhlcozf0.jpg

• Options
    I like the last dude but really question the structure around the but and extended leg the shadow of the sword isn't wrapping around at all, so it seems very flat. I think with a little thought and adjustment, though, that's an easy fix

With the colors on your dude in the sky, you may want to take the blue into account when creating shadows. all of the colors in a scene tend to relate to each other, so try not to just plop a pallet into a setting with out thinking about the color of the light, and how the surroundings may reflect onto the object.

• Options
    Yeah I see what you mean about the last guy. I think something like this would have worked better for the pose

z4s0lwzrhjog.jpg

For that bg, I really did just copy and paste it from another bg that I did for a level. Originally I just had it like all the others with the flat color bg and the silhouette fill transform shadow. Then I threw the other bg on b/c I thought it looked cool.

87huij4d4lsc.jpg

I was doing some thumbnails for Nathan Fawkes course too. I just combined them all together. Some were color, and then the others were 3 value. I did an hour for the colors, and then 30min for the values, though I guess we were supposed to just do 20 min., so mine got a little more detailed.

e1t4my7x8r16.jpg

qtqm04jpix7j.jpg

hh3idw59gu6p.jpg

• Options
    I thought I'd post some of my progress from the classes i've been taking as well as the other drawings I've been doing. I've been mainly interested in concept art lately, so that's mostly what is here and not so many finished illustrations.

kv65l28n5x6q.jpg
    3b4u702lrbpo.jpg
    aafeijy2p7zb.jpg
    ptuumizj6y63.jpg
    3qbpjj46pabi.jpg
    f6bp6es31b48.jpg
    49d9zysfcy1a.jpg
    cqymloh6na4q.jpg
    7n9vxa9ybs7x.jpg
    vhknojygczrg.jpg
    1n7wpvfktynj.jpg
    qtkqd59tc58f.jpg