As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Magnificent [movies] Thread

• GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    Wait for reviews, it's what they're there for.

• DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    the main thing you need to know about independence day 2 is that they essentially cast liam hemsworth in the will smith role and they give entirely too much screentime to the goofy tour guide from white house down

• BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    I disagree with the humans in Warcraft being badly acted

Lothar was entertaining as all hell and aside from that one hilariously bad scene Medivh was pretty great too.

CYpGAPn.png
  • ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    the main thing you need to know about independence day 2 is that they essentially cast liam hemsworth in the will smith role and they give entirely too much screentime to the goofy tour guide from white house down

I mean yeah it's basically the first film without the pass the first got for being the first, it's Roland emirich so you know what to expect. I loved it cos I love big silly scifi shit and this was some big silly scifi shit

• ph blakeph blake Registered User regular
    Prohass wrote: »

I mean yeah it's basically the first film without the pass the first got for being the first, it's Roland emirich so you know what to expect. I loved it cos I love big silly scifi shit and this was some big silly scifi shit

They don't even use the big silly scifi shit though!
    The giant spaceship comes down, blows up some cities, is fired upon ineffectively, and then does absolutely nothing for the rest of the movie. The climactic battle is against the exact same type of ship that was in the first one just so they could retread the same story beats and locations! I mean, come on guys, if you're going to make a spaceship the size of the Atlantic ocean then you had better damn well end it with said spaceship blowing the fuck up, not just floating off in to space again because oh wow we managed to kill the special alien who decided to leave the giant impenetrable doom fortress for whatever fucking reason.

7h8wnycre6vs.png
    some spoilery thoughts on independence day, while I still remember anything that happened in independence day
    It feels a lot like Pacific Rim, in that the world they've developed is a thousand times more interesting than the characters they've chosen to populate the world with, and the story they've chosen to tell with it. The state of the world is really interesting, and the alien/human hybrid tech is really dang cool, and everything looks awesome. It'd be a hell of a setting to explore in an RPG or something.

But.

The characters are largely bland, and half of the cast of the first movie shows up primarily to just get...unceremoniously killed. Will Smith died offscreen, and his son largely exists in the movie to give Liam Hemsworth a character arc. His mom shows up, pretty much only so that she can die and he can be sad about it for like, ten seconds. No idea what happened to Jeff Goldblum's girlfriend from the first one, she's never mentioned. Bill Pullman gets to act crazy, half-ass a speech, then do a suicide mission that doesn't really work. His daughter exists...largely to help Liam Hemsworth and Bill Pullman have character arcs. She does get to fly for like, two minutes before she does just enough damage so that Liam Hemsworth can save the day at the end (with a little help from Will Smith's son, who he inspires to be a better leader, his other little buddy, and the Chinese fighter pilot who seems pretty cool but ultimately sits in the background being ogled by Liam Hemsworth's little buddy until she agrees to go on a date with him at the end of the movie

I mean...Hemsworth is fine in the part, but I cannot begin to understand why they thought he should, essentially, be the lead of the whole movie. I won't call the original a masterpiece, but jeez, they were a thousand times better at building an ensemble cast that anyone could conceivably give a shit about.

And also they have this weird bit where they shoot down what could ultimately be a helpful alien right at the start? And everyone's like, "I hope this doesn't backfire on us!" and then they talk to the alien and it's like "well I was GOING to help but y'all shot me down! anyways I'm definitely going to help anyways so ignore that that happened at all, thanks." Just...I think it's there largely to set up a sequel that I can't really say I'm all that interested in seeing?

Can't say I disagree with that, I'm easily distracted by cool tech and the trimmings, it was undoubtedly lacking the first films memorable core ensemble

if you're planning on seeing this, I would definitely see it in theaters, as I'm not sure what the point would even be of watching this on a television

• Romanian My EscutcheonRomanian My Escutcheon Two of Forks Registered User regular
    I put most of my ID4-2 thoughts on Twitter. Here's the short version.

Good:
    -It feels like a very natural progression from the original to the sequel, despite the fact that it's been 20 years.
    -It's very much targeted towards the same audience that saw it as kids/teens and manages to keep that same theme of earnest hope and enthusiasm for the future.
    -Bill Pullman and Brent Spiner.
    -I want to know more about that whole 20 year gap and how apparently DeObia Oparei was fighting aliens that whole time???

Bad:
    -Feels rushed while also making it clear that it needed to be edited much more aggressively.
    -No, like, for real, there are a thousand characters in this fucking thing and very few of them get any kind of meaningful resolution or closure.
    -Not enough Jessie T. Usher. I thought Hemsworth was okay, but I am way more interested in Jessie T. Usher and his character.
    -Jeff Goldblum basically parodying himself.

[IMG][/img]
  • GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    -Jeff Goldblum basically parodying himself.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7F0J-1Zd84

• wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    This closing paragraph on Uproxx's ID4:R review pretty much says it all
    Anyway, all I can do now is take a giant pee and wave my middle finger in the air. Just like Liam Hemsworth. Just like he did in Independence Day: Resurgence. In Independence Day: Resurgence, Liam Hemsworth peed on an alien while flipping the bird. I may never get over that. I think we are doomed.

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Romanian My EscutcheonRomanian My Escutcheon Two of Forks Registered User regular
    wirehead26 wrote: »
    This closing paragraph on Uproxx's ID4:R review pretty much says it all
    Anyway, all I can do now is take a giant pee and wave my middle finger in the air. Just like Liam Hemsworth. Just like he did in Independence Day: Resurgence. In Independence Day: Resurgence, Liam Hemsworth peed on an alien while flipping the bird. I may never get over that. I think we are doomed.

I can confirm that this happens, and while it may initially amuse you, when you come back to it later it will terrify and disgust you.

[IMG][/img]
    To be fair he didn't pee on an alien, just like on their porch

The most interesting characters in the whole fucking movie were those assholes on the boat.

7h8wnycre6vs.png
  • Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    wake me up when wiener-dog is playing in seattle

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular

FUCK! My eyes and ears are bleeding in memory of that fuck.

• ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    So my roommates and I finally set aside a night to watch the Fant4stic.

So naturally we did some shots and sat down for this cinematic triumph.

And while it may have been 1 hour & 47 minutes long, it took us near three hours to finish it because we kept stopping it to just yell at this "movie."

But the highest point of rage for myself was right after this dialogue exchange in the film:
    Victor Von Doom: It's complicated. Rudimentary. Elementary. This is basically a child's drawing.
    Dr. Franklin Storm: You know what Albert Einstein said. "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough."
    Victor Von Doom: Ten years searching for something that is basically runner-up for a baking soda volcano.
    Reed Richards: We were actually disqualified. The potato clock got second.
    Dr. Franklin Storm: Reed Richards, Victor Von Doom. Victor started the Quantum Gate project when he was younger than you.
    Reed Richards: Wow. It's great to meet you.
    Victor Von Doom: Hi, Susan.
    Sue Storm: Hey, Victor.
    Reed Richards: Do you prefer "Susan"?
    Sue Storm: No. It's been a while. Didn't expect to see you back here.
    Victor Von Doom: Yeah, well, I couldn't resist. When I heard about the design, I needed to see it with my own eyes. I gotta say, it's pretty impressive...
    Reed Richards: Thank you.
    Victor Von Doom: ...That you nearly destroyed our entire planet with speaker cable and aluminum foil.
    Reed Richards: Yeah, that was an accident.
    Dr. Franklin Storm: He did get it to work.
    Victor Von Doom: What is this?
    Sue Storm: This is where your little, uh, accident leads to. We put a camera on a drone we sent over there. The drone didn't come back, but those images did.
    Reed Richards: Wow. It's beautiful.
    Victor Von Doom: Yes, it is.
    Dr. Franklin Storm: New energy, resources. It's a whole new world. Which can help save this one.
    Victor Von Doom: Not that it deserves to be saved. I mean, think about it. The people running the Earth are the same ones running it into the ground. So, maybe it deserves what it's got coming to it.
    Sue Storm: Dr. Doom, over here.

And.... And I became so overcome in rage... I threw my hands over my mouth and just started screaming.

And I screamed so loud and with such vigor that through three walls I woke up our other roommate upstairs.

FUCK THIS MOVIE.

Zonugal on
    Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=bewarpW7RmU

Condensed to a one word review: Ehhhh

Zonugal wrote: »

And while it may have been 1 hour & 47 minutes long, it took us near three hours to finish it because we kept stopping it to just yell at this "movie."

But the highest point of rage for myself was right after this dialogue exchange in the film:
    Victor Von Doom: It's complicated. Rudimentary. Elementary. This is basically a child's drawing.
    Dr. Franklin Storm: You know what Albert Einstein said. "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough."
    Victor Von Doom: Ten years searching for something that is basically runner-up for a baking soda volcano.
    Dr. Franklin Storm: Reed Richards, Victor Von Doom. Victor started the Quantum Gate project when he was younger than you.
    Victor Von Doom: Yeah, well, I couldn't resist. When I heard about the design, I needed to see it with my own eyes. I gotta say, it's pretty impressive...
    Victor Von Doom: ...That you nearly destroyed our entire planet with speaker cable and aluminum foil.
    Sue Storm: This is where your little, uh, accident leads to. We put a camera on a drone we sent over there. The drone didn't come back, but those images did.
    Dr. Franklin Storm: New energy, resources. It's a whole new world. Which can help save this one.
    Victor Von Doom: Not that it deserves to be saved. I mean, think about it. The people running the Earth are the same ones running it into the ground. So, maybe it deserves what it's got coming to it.

And.... And I became so overcome in rage... I threw my hands over my mouth and just started screaming.

And I screamed so loud and with such vigor that through three walls I woke up our other roommate upstairs.

FUCK THIS MOVIE.

Don't hold back, now. Tell us how you really feel.

[IMG][/img]
  • ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Throughout Fant4stic they kept mentioning that they'd send stuff through their dimensional portal and would receive video/photo/scientific signals back about the Phantom Zone.

And every time this happened I would just scream, "HOW!?!?! THAT ISN'T HOW SIGNALS WORK! OR SCIENCE! GOD DAMMITTTTTTTT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular

FUCK THIS MOVIE.

And that is the part of the movie that some people claim is good.

Quire.jpg
    Oh damn, did not realize Neon Demon is out today.

• FCDFCD Registered User regular

FUCK THIS MOVIE.

Just one, good live-action depiction of Dr. Doom. That's all I want. How does Fox not fucking get it?

Gridman! Baby DAN DAN! Baby DAN DAN!
  • FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    Fantastic Four fans seem to want the Marvel formula. Fox, just copy Marvel's style and make all the goodwill and money! Or, you know, keep banging your head against the wall and see if a good idea or candy comes out first. Won't be brains. Having those would you stop you from being in this position.

• fedaykin666fedaykin666 Registered User regular
    Xehalus wrote: »
    Warcraft is a good movie

there are great movies out there, though

I agree with this and am utterly mystified by a critical score around 30%. Durotan's story made the orcs interesting and I suspect his story arc was surprising to non-gaming audience members.

Assuming no knowledge of the lore, I thought this film should be at least around 65-70%. Is it popular to bash gaming culture in "learned circles"? Do you need to grease the right palms to get good reviews and Blizzard failed to do this?

These people actually don't exist in this case, imho

I actually went to see it with an old friend who's a major warcraft geek like myself and his new GF, who is not a gamer. I was doubting what the hell he was thinking and even suggesting why don't we just go for cocktails instead, but we went and she really enjoyed it. LOTR films I think possibly broadened the potential audience.

• GreasyKidsStuffGreasyKidsStuff MOMMM! ROAST BEEF WANTS TO KISS GIRLS ON THE TITTIES!Registered User regular
    David Ehrlich's review of ID4:2 is up. And honestly, it makes me want to see it more so for the baffling plot development he alludes to at the end.

He really hated it, though.

• Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2016
    I am going to love ID4:Resurgence

Guaranteed

Raijin Quickfoot on
  • TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    I liked it, but I didn't love it.

b1ehrMM.gif
    It was my least favorite movie I've seen since Man of Steel.

7h8wnycre6vs.png

Guaranteed

it's not really even bad in a fun way, though

I mean, good on you if you end up loving it, but that movie is a whole lot of nothin' that interesting

• Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular

Guaranteed

it's not really even bad in a fun way, though

I mean, good on you if you end up loving it, but that movie is a whole lot of nothin' that interesting

Don't tell me this...i don't want to hear it.

just...don't get your hopes up, is all I'm saying

My hopes were up the second they announced it

• GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    FCD wrote: »

FUCK THIS MOVIE.

Just one, good live-action depiction of Dr. Doom. That's all I want. How does Fox not fucking get it?

It's not that they don't get it.

It's that they don't care.

They only make these movies in order to retain control over the franchise, because that's more important to them.

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    My biggest problem with Warcraft was that there were too many bearded white dudes

Like, I had trouble telling Llane and Lothar apart for about the first half of the movie, and I kept forgetting who Khadgar was supposed to be

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    See that's just baffling to me. I don't think Llane and Lothar looked that similar apart from both being white and having beards. Llane had a rounder face and darker hair than Lothar, and their voices were very different too.

• RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    Andy Joe wrote: »
    My biggest problem with Warcraft was that there were too many bearded white dudes

Like, I had trouble telling Llane and Lothar apart for about the first half of the movie, and I kept forgetting who Khadgar was supposed to be

Khadgar was the nerd. Easy to spot!

Rainfall on
  • PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    FCD wrote: »

FUCK THIS MOVIE.

it is beneath him

• BillyIdleBillyIdle What does "katana" mean? It means "Japanese sword."Registered User regular
    Kinda liked Warcraft. Was not expecting the main actors from Preacher to be in it, so that was a confusing treat.

PSN: BillyIdle_
This discussion has been closed.