As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Hiberno-Britannic Politics] Brexitstential Crisis

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    I quite like the irony of Corbyn's fandom getting shirty with rebels, apparently unfamiliar with Corbyn's history as the most rebellious MP in Labour history.

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »
    I quite like the irony of Corbyn's fandom getting shirty with rebels, apparently unfamiliar with Corbyn's history as the most rebellious MP in Labour history.

The Sanders comparison continues to hold water

• Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    Muddypaws wrote: »
    From the Guardian
    Bryant says Corbyn refused to tell him whether he voted to leave the EU

Chris Bryant, who resigned yesterday as shadow leader of the Commons, has told the BBC that he thinks Jeremy Corbyn may have voted to leave the EU. Corbyn refused to tell him how he voted, he said.

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuck you Corbyn.

Er, what's going on here then?

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options
    Bad-BeatBad-Beat Registered User regular
    Labour votes to remain Hard Left; Centrist desertion to Lib Dems on the cards? They'd take any scraps that come their way at the minute.

• Options
    TryCatcherTryCatcher Registered User regular
    Boris Johnson has a speech, did that got posted here? Key points at the end:
    The only change – and it will not come in any great rush – is that the UK will extricate itself from the EU’s extraordinary and opaque system of legislation: the vast and growing corpus of law enacted by a European Court of Justice from which there can be no appeal. This will bring not threats, but golden opportunities for this country – to pass laws and set taxes according to the needs of the UK.

Yes, the Government will be able to take back democratic control of immigration policy, with a balanced and humane points-based system to suit the needs of business and industry. Yes, there will be a substantial sum of money which we will no longer send to Brussels, but which could be used on priorities such as the NHS. Yes, we will be able to do free trade deals with the growth economies of the world in a way that is currently forbidden.

There is every cause for optimism; a Britain rebooted, reset, renewed and able to engage with the whole world. This was a seismic campaign whose lessons must be learnt by politicians at home and abroad. We heard the voices of millions of the forgotten people, who have seen no real increase in their incomes, while FTSE-100 chiefs now earn 150 times the average pay of their employees. We must pursue actively the one-nation policies that are among David Cameron’s fine legacy, such as his campaigns on the Living Wage and Life Chances. There is no doubt that many were speaking up for themselves.

But they were also speaking up for democracy, and the verdict of history will be that the British people got it right.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2016
    I suddenly really miss Have I Got News For You. I bet it's bloody fantastic at the moment.

Adam Hills, who hosts what must be the least biting comedy news show on the planet, is getting absolutely pilloried by right-wing nutters over his post-Brexit show (which had two Leave campaigners and only one Remain on!). I can't imagine how they're going to react to the levels of snark on HIGNFY.

edit: also apparently people are sending him links to the Qantas site and suggesting he fuck off back home. Hate to break it to you, but being in or out of Europe makes no difference to Aussie emigrants, maaaaaaaaate.

tynic on
  • Options
    Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie Registered User regular
    Holy crap that Kevin McKenzie "10 reasons why we must vote Brexit" article is the worst jingoistic nonsense. I mean just look at this shit!

"2. Scotland will demand another referendum to leave the United Kingdom so it can stay in the EU - and everybody south of the border will say "Don't bother voting, just go." We can then stop sending English taxpayers' money to Jockistan, as they receive £1,600 a year more per head than we do. It would be cheaper for we wealth creators to burn a £50 note every week."

WTF?! I knew The Sun was trash but how the hell does ANY national publication get away with something like that?!

• Options
    altidaltid Registered User regular
    The BBC has now rephrased to "Reaction to Corbyn Crisis and Brexit".

I'm expecting the resignation letters to get more and more terse to the point of "I quit, take a bloody hint Jeremy".

• Options
    Bad-BeatBad-Beat Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    Whooaaaahhh, hold the phone there, buddy...

General election could be avoided with Theresa May as leader
    One of the arguments being used to tempt backbenchers to back the home secretary is that there would be less need to hold a general election if she was the choice of the party. This is because she was in a significant position in the government when the Conservatives stood on their manifesto at the last election and would therefore be better able to argue for carrying on with the same mandate.

That mandate is null and void since the referendum result. Your manifesto in 2015 was built on the basis that we'd still be in Europe, heck your manifesto was built on the basis that you wouldn't even have an overall majority...

We need a snap General Election now so we know where all parties stand and so the people of Britain can get the best deal possible. Would we really want the people that caused us to leave the EU being the ones responsible for ensuring Britain's economic future is stable? That is utterly unacceptable.

Bad-Beat on
  • Options
    eEK!eEK! Registered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »
    Ah yes, Kelvin MacKenzie. Someone who has delighted us for far too long.

Nice reference, makes me think we'll all need to read more Austen, Bronte, Dickens, etc. to figure out our place in this new/olde Kingdom of England, Wales and possibly Northern Ireland (I'm hoping that this can be the thing to move the peace process forward, although its hard to hope for anything right now)

• Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    Http://m.huffpost.com/uk/entry/uk_576fe161e4b08d2c56396075?edition=uk&q7fzuxr=

UK
    Post EU Referendum Racism Documented Online And It’s Really Scary

Holy shit. Germany ca. 1938

autono-wally, erotibot300 on
    kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    WTF?! I knew The Sun was trash but how the hell does ANY national publication get away with something like that?!

The Sun had a Katie Hopkins column that called refugees cockroaches.

They are, in defiance of all pretenders to the throne, The Worst.

• Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    "leave the EU, no more Polish vermin"

Jesus fuck, this makes me shiver

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    Bethryn wrote: »
    Muddypaws wrote: »
    From the Guardian
    Bryant says Corbyn refused to tell him whether he voted to leave the EU

Chris Bryant, who resigned yesterday as shadow leader of the Commons, has told the BBC that he thinks Jeremy Corbyn may have voted to leave the EU. Corbyn refused to tell him how he voted, he said.

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuck you Corbyn.

Er, what's going on here then?

Media doing their best to convince Corbyn supporters theres a conspiracy against him..... Just makes no sense he's a politician that doesn't believe in politics, you don't need to make anything up.

• Options
    You know Britain, just don't put all those foreigners in camps instead of deporting them, that's a bad idea. Just a heads up from a German.

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    Info on the Tory Leadership Timetable: If rules are confirmed tomorrow, nominations open on Wednesday and close on Thursday. Intent is to have a new leader no later than 2nd of September.

• Options
    KaputaKaputa Registered User regular
    Http://m.huffpost.com/uk/entry/uk_576fe161e4b08d2c56396075?edition=uk&q7fzuxr=

UK
    Post EU Referendum Racism Documented Online And It’s Really Scary

Holy shit. Germany ca. 1938

"They've just spent $13 million on art, of taxpayers' money. That says it all, doesn't it."

But... I like art. :(

• Options
    I knew ukip was racist, but this is a whole new level. If you don't fight against that shit now, you will end up with armed thugs hunting "foreigners" in the streets in no time.

If there's one thing you can't let happen, it's fascist taking the streets. Because they usually take the rest shortly after.

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    Dis'Dis' Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    You know Britain, just don't put all those foreigners in camps instead of deporting them, that's a bad idea. Just a heads up from a German.

Unfortunately we've already had some pretty serious internment camps in our history - we locked up 10 thousand Germans who worked in the UK on the Isle of Man during WW1 for example.

Dis' on
  • Options
    With any luck, social media should make it easier to track down a lot of those being flagrant about it.

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    Dis' wrote: »

Unfortunately we've already had some pretty serious internment camps in our history - we locked up 10 thousand Germans who worked in the UK on the Isle of Man during WW1 for example.

Or the South African internment camps during the Boer Wars.

Couscous on
  • Options
    Tories are slightly up in a poll conducted over the weekend, and Labour are down.

How Corbyn has managed to make this a win for a Tory party cloven in two is a remarkable achievement.

• Options

Operation Demetrius - internment of suspected Nationalists - was the match to the powder keg that pushed what started as a civil rights movement in Northern Ireland into what became The Troubles.

• Options
    I feel that a substantial portion of the Labour base voting Leave may have more to do with that than Corbyn himself.

I guess you could argue that's Corbyn's fault for failing to convince them for Remain, but it seems like a toss-up to me.

• Options
    edited June 2016
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    "Luciana Berger resigns as shadow cabinet minister for mental health"
    That is up to 12 resigned?

The less international FTSE 250 is taking a hit. "FTSE 100 companies derive only 28 per cent of their revenues in the UK, according to JPMorgan, compared with 59 per cent for the FTSE 250."

Couscous on
  • Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    I knew ukip was racist, but this is a whole new level. If you don't fight against that shit now, you will end up with armed thugs hunting "foreigners" in the streets in no time.

If there's one thing you can't let happen, it's fascist taking the streets. Because they usually take the rest shortly after.

"English Civil War" sadly seems to become a bit too relevant again. Just replace the New Party Army with UKIP.

• Options
    Dis'Dis' Registered User regular

Operation Demetrius - internment of suspected Nationalists - was the match to the powder keg that pushed what started as a civil rights movement in Northern Ireland into what became The Troubles.

Oh definitely, I was making the point that in addition the British military applying internment overseas, the government/public has been cool with doing it much closer to home; rounding up Germans in the heart of Birmingham in 1914.

• Options
    Couscous wrote: »
    "Luciana Berger resigns as shadow cabinet minister for mental health"
    That is up to 12 resigned?

I think we're well past that. Pretty sure we hit the halfway mark around lunchtime.

• Options
    TryCatcherTryCatcher Registered User regular
    No second referendum:
    The Cabinet agreed this morning there would be no second referendum. David Cameron will spell that out in his Commons statement this afternoon.

They don’t want false hopes or complications beyond the ones already visited on the country.

Oliver Letwin is overseeing the “scoping” exercise on what is and isn’t possible in a negotiation. The idea of Michael Gove being lead negotiator dates back to when, a touch unrealistically, he and others on the Leave side thought they could persuade David Cameron to stay put for longer.

Boris Johnson just emerged from Downing Street to state again his support for a points based immigration system combined somehow with access to the single market.

One Tory MP said it was more of Boris Johnson’s cake policy, “pro having it and pro eating it” and he would have to “sort himself out.”

• Options
    honovere wrote: »

"English Civil War" sadly seems to become a bit too relevant again. Just replace the New Party Army with UKIP.

Don't have a civil war! :( We had one less than 100 years ago! They're bad!

• Options
    TryCatcher wrote: »
    No second referendum:
    The Cabinet agreed this morning there would be no second referendum. David Cameron will spell that out in his Commons statement this afternoon.

They don’t want false hopes or complications beyond the ones already visited on the country.

Oliver Letwin is overseeing the “scoping” exercise on what is and isn’t possible in a negotiation. The idea of Michael Gove being lead negotiator dates back to when, a touch unrealistically, he and others on the Leave side thought they could persuade David Cameron to stay put for longer.

Boris Johnson just emerged from Downing Street to state again his support for a points based immigration system combined somehow with access to the single market.

One Tory MP said it was more of Boris Johnson’s cake policy, “pro having it and pro eating it” and he would have to “sort himself out.”

That "somehow" manages to say a lot.

• Options
    No second referendum:

It does, Somehow

• Options
    Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    Holy crap that Kevin McKenzie "10 reasons why we must vote Brexit" article is the worst jingoistic nonsense. I mean just look at this shit!

"2. Scotland will demand another referendum to leave the United Kingdom so it can stay in the EU - and everybody south of the border will say "Don't bother voting, just go." We can then stop sending English taxpayers' money to Jockistan, as they receive £1,600 a year more per head than we do. It would be cheaper for we wealth creators to burn a £50 note every week."

Hi, I see you weren't around for the Independence referendum back in 2014 then.

I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • Options
    John Oliver's reaction to the Brexit aftermath is everything you could imagine and more.

• Options
    God help us, Corbyn is making me think Tony was okay.

This is politics 101, his image is damaged and he needs replacing with a fresh face, why is this so difficult? why does my E in A-level politics make me feel overeducated compared to major party leader?

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    No second referendum:

So, uh, why would the EU response to "We want to ignore a core requirement but retain the associated core benefit" not "Ha, ha, fuck no"?

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    No second referendum:

So, uh, why would the EU response to "We want to ignore a core requirement but retain the associated core benefit" not "Ha, ha, fuck no"?

Because Henry V nearly ruled France that one time, I suppose

• Options
    Tony Blair is possibly a war criminal, but he was not utterly, comically, tragically useless.

The left wing that hated Blair now has control of the Labour party. It has been an unmitigated disaster.

This discussion has been closed.