As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[BREXIT] Farewell Europe, and thanks for all the Fish stocks

• LabelLabel Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    JoeUser wrote: »
    And to follow up, due to the uncertainty about the pound falling more, you have companies converting cash in a safer currency, like dollars.

This then causes the pound to fall even more.

Also, a number of people in the UK will have had jobs that rely on international trade of some sort to function.

With this split, their jobs will no longer exist, and they will be unemployed. And then they will likely no longer be economically productive to the same degree, and the economy as a whole will contract some amount.

What were the estimates, something like half a million jobs falling under this?

Label on
  • tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Label wrote: »
    And to follow up, due to the uncertainty about the pound falling more, you have companies converting cash in a safer currency, like dollars.

This then causes the pound to fall even more.

Also, a number of people in the UK will have had jobs that rely on international trade of some sort to function.

With this split, their jobs will no longer exist, and they will be unemployed. And then they will likely no longer be economically productive to the same degree, and the economy as a whole will contract some amount.

What were the estimates, something like half a million jobs falling under this?
    yeah that was an estimate made last friday.

My english colleague here has a wife who works for the EU office of her university, so that's one. And apparently his family (who he described as "rich buggers who never worked a day in their lives") voted leave*, so he's like "welp, no sunday family lunches for us for the next few years."

* and did the whole "oh, I never thought we'd WIN" thing afterwards.

• LabelLabel Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    * and did the whole "oh, I never thought we'd WIN" thing afterwards.

UUUGGGHHH

• GumpyGumpy There is always a greater powerRegistered User regular
    We've even been kicked out if the bloody football

• GrogGrog My sword is only steel in a useful shape.Registered User regular
    Besides the economic factors, victory for the leave campaign has been a giant green light for all the bigots, racists and neo-nazis to come out from their caves and spout their poison openly. Farage and his cretins are probably plotting their next scapegoat to turn their vile base against.

• BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    Gumpy wrote: »
    We've even been kicked out if the bloody football

Left Europe twice in one week, shameful

• MrGrimoireMrGrimoire Pixflare Registered User regular
    If I've understood correctly, a big part of the Leave platform is about not accepting EU bureaucratic rules, not accepting immigrants and not wanting to pay a lot of money in EU tax?

At the same time, there's talking about negotiating trade agreements with EU, ala. Norway and the EEA deals. Going by the existing EEA deals, this means paying a huge amount of money to the EU and accepting a boatload of EU rules into law, now without the benefit of being part of the process that create those laws. Including rules about things like free flow of labour. The current EEA agreement was negotiated when oil was massively important and could be used as leverage to get a relatively good deal. So assuming the UK wants to retain the ability to trade with Europe, I'm kinda wondering what these people want to win?

MrGrimoire wrote: »
    If I've understood correctly, a big part of the Leave platform is about not accepting EU bureaucratic rules, not accepting immigrants and not wanting to pay a lot of money in EU tax?

At the same time, there's talking about negotiating trade agreements with EU, ala. Norway and the EEA deals. Going by the existing EEA deals, this means paying a huge amount of money to the EU and accepting a boatload of EU rules into law, now without the benefit of being part of the process that create those laws. Including rules about things like free flow of labour. The current EEA agreement was negotiated when oil was massively important and could be used as leverage to get a relatively good deal. So assuming the UK wants to retain the ability to trade with Europe, I'm kinda wondering what these people want to win?

Well you see
    they didn't think it through that far

but they definitely don't like brown people and also straight bananas.

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Grog wrote: »
    Besides the economic factors, victory for the leave campaign has been a giant green light for all the bigots, racists and neo-nazis to come out from their caves and spout their poison openly. Farage and his cretins are probably plotting their next scapegoat to turn their vile base against.

crosspost from the D&D UK politics thread:
    Http://m.huffpost.com/uk/entry/uk_576fe161e4b08d2c56396075?edition=uk&q7fzuxr=

UK
    Post EU Referendum Racism Documented Online And It’s Really Scary

Holy shit. Germany ca. 1938

BahamutZERO.gif
  • GumpyGumpy There is always a greater powerRegistered User regular
    Something I will credit leave on is that the EU bureaucracy sucks - Or at least its leadership does. It's leaders are for the most part greying older men who struggle to provoke any sort of emotional response. Jean-Claude Juncker is easy pickings on a national level when you have people like Corbyn, Boris and Farage floating about. The EU desperately needs to find a way to get itself a more energetic leadership who'd be able to sell the positives of the Union on a national level.

• MrGrimoireMrGrimoire Pixflare Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    MrGrimoire wrote: »

Well you see
    they didn't think it through that far

but they definitely don't like brown people and also straight bananas.

Figures. It's really damned disgusting. I know it affects a lot of people and it just sucks.

• JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
  • MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    What do you know, seems EU diplomats are not really keen on Boris' fantasyland where the UK retains access to the single market

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/jun/27/brussels-rejects-boris-johnson-pipe-dream-over-single-market-access

• honoverehonovere Registered User regular

Lot going on. - Yes I had two birthdays.

• LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    Cameron meets the EU tomorrow, it feels almost as bad as when the vote result was first announced. This is bad for us.

• Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    So if Article 50 has to be invoked
    And nobody seems to actually want to buckle down and do this
    What would happen if the PM just... didn't invoke it

I think the EU is duty bound to carry on as usual, though they'd be pissed. But unless someone comes out and either invokes it, says firmly it will not be invoked based on this referendum, or at the very very least gives a clear plan and timetable for invoking it, the markets will probably continue to fall. So somebody needs to bite the bullet.

• Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular
    Grog wrote: »

crosspost from the D&D UK politics thread:
    Http://m.huffpost.com/uk/entry/uk_576fe161e4b08d2c56396075?edition=uk&q7fzuxr=

UK
    Post EU Referendum Racism Documented Online And It’s Really Scary

Holy shit. Germany ca. 1938

I think the most telling comment was, "Shouldn't you be leaving? We voted you out." Like, a vote to 'leave the EU' is somehow magically enforceable as 'make the brown people leave.' Not only do you have to be a massive bigot to think of that, you have to be deliberately dense about the logistics of millions upon millions of people being forced to emigrate. You know what the miserable irony is? I'll bet anybody a million dollars these assholes fucking looooooooovve curry.

I put them in the same category as the redneck chuckle-fucks here in Houston who love Mexican food but hate Mexicans.

Hahaha now Wales want to independent too. Course it bloody does.

Its like the future of your country and your livelihoods and quality of life for you and your family is water coming in from a hole in the bottom of your rowing boat and you're scooping and scooping the water out but you are sinking.

Shockwaves from the vote have been reverberating around the world economy. A trillion dollars were wiped off world stock markets on Monday, adding to $2tn in losses on Friday, making this the largest two-day stock rout of all time.

Three trillion in a few days. What a tremendous waste of human effort.

• ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User regular
    I think the most telling comment was, "Shouldn't you be leaving? We voted you out." Like, a vote to 'leave the EU' is somehow magically enforceable as 'make the brown people leave.' Not only do you have to be a massive bigot to think of that, you have to be deliberately dense about the logistics of millions upon millions of people being forced to emigrate. You know what the miserable irony is? I'll bet anybody a million dollars these assholes fucking looooooooovve curry.

I put them in the same category as the redneck chuckle-fucks here in Houston who love Mexican food but hate Mexicans.

I got the impression a lot of people - maybe not most, but certainly way too many - thought they actually were primarily voting not on "leave the EU" but rather "throw out the foreigners." It feels like the only thing that can explain how immediate and ugly some of their reactions the night of the vote were.

Heaven knows it feels like a theme the last few years. The federal election in Canada last fall was definitely seen by a depressing chunk of the electorate not as an election as much as a referendum on Doing Something About Those People.

• CelloCello Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    Zibblsnrt wrote: »

I got the impression a lot of people - maybe not most, but certainly way too many - thought they actually were primarily voting not on "leave the EU" but rather "throw out the foreigners." It feels like the only thing that can explain how immediate and ugly some of their reactions the night of the vote were.

Heaven knows it feels like a theme the last few years. The federal election in Canada last fall was definitely seen by a depressing chunk of the electorate not as an election as much as a referendum on Doing Something About Those People.

On the bright side, I'd like to think that the surprise majority election of the Liberals was primarily due to Canadians not identifying with the weird, sudden bent towards social conservatism through the lens of "islam is scary"

They did well previously because they hid that view behind fiscal conservative policy, but as soon as that became a visible thing most Canadians recoiled in horror

It's hopefully something they actually bothered to notice (especially when you examine the policy change they had in respect to gay marriage last month), but that may also have been a proactive motion given that the Liberals will most definitely be moving away from FPTP and the Conservatives are going to automatically have to try to reach out to more left-leaning voters in the future, if they even manage to survive as a single entity after that change

Cello on
    Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • ZoelZoel I suppose... I'd put it on Registered User regular
    Throwing out millions of people from your country all at once is well. To do that without harm to the physical well being of two million people would be one of the greatest logistical feats ever performed by mankind.

Is there any law in the UK that says the military can't ordinarily perform law enforcement functions in the UK?

A magician gives you a ring that, when worn, will let you see the world as it truly is.
    However, the ring will never leave your finger, and you will be unable to ever describe to another living person what you see.
  • Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    cameron's resignation timetable has basically ruled out the possibility of invoking article 50 any time before october

this is clearly a master plan to allow britain time to get its shit together and admit that it doesn't really want to leave, it was just having a bit of a laugh

but it also means that the current economic instability is going to continue for a few months and no-one can do anything about it

Zoel wrote: »
    Throwing out millions of people from your country all at once is well. To do that without harm to the physical well being of two million people would be one of the greatest logistical feats ever performed by mankind.

Is there any law in the UK that says the military can't ordinarily perform law enforcement functions in the UK?

It's a really bad idea all around; most rank and file troops aren't combat oriented since it takes a rather large support structure to field even a battalion of infantry and (most importantly) the actual combat troops aren't the ideal candidates for law enforcement, they're primarily geared towards engaging an enemy rather than peace keeping.

There's also the whole martial law business which tends to put even the most relaxed citizen on edge.

• Dis'Dis' Registered User regular
    Zoel wrote: »

No? The army was deployed in northern ireland for decades.

• ProlegomenaProlegomena Frictionless Spinning The VoidRegistered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    So if Article 50 has to be invoked
    And nobody seems to actually want to buckle down and do this
    What would happen if the PM just... didn't invoke it

There was a lengthy, lengthy article about this somewhere but the gist of it was that the PM can't invoke Article 50 unless authorised to do so by parliament.

Well. Maybe. It's unclear, the U.K. doesn't have a formal constitution. And when asked about it, Cameron didn't seem to think he needed anything.

It's a legal mess.

• TubeTube Registered User admin
    It's happening. There's no tricky way around it. It is, one way or another, the will of the people.

• FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    It's happening. There's no tricky way around it. It is, one way or another, the will of the people.

Well, Cameron isn't going to invoke it, and so we have 3 months or so to see if they can figure out anything else.

• StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    As said earlier, the referendum isn't a legally binding thing, but even if Cameron doesn't go through with it, his successor absolutely will.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Bad-BeatBad-Beat Registered User regular
    Invoking Article 50 is like your parents having sex, you can choose to believe it's not happening but it definitely is.

What if there's a new election? Could that be seen as a "second referendum" if a party running to stay in the EU wins?

Family rifts over Brexit: ‘I can barely look at my parents’

Stephanie is far from being the only young person now seeing her family differently. “I’ve been having the most terrible rows with my mum about it, as I’m so heartbroken by the result,” says Alex. “Both my parents voted to leave despite me begging them not to. I tried to explain the effects it would have on my future, and my children’s future – but each time it would just end in the most awful arguments. Now, with the way things are, I feel like I can barely look at them. It sounds melodramatic, but I feel so betrayed by it all.”

• JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    Everything is terrifying lol

• RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    What if there's a new election? Could that be seen as a "second referendum" if a party running to stay in the EU wins?

That is the narrow path I see. Narrow because if Labour fully devolve into a bitter leadership contest they may not have the chops to win or coalition, letting a Tory/UKIP government go ahead with article 50 anyway.

On that front, Diane Abbot accusing one reporting of being "too Westminster-centric" in his questioning. So we're in danger of Robespierrest purity tests and commitment to preserving worker rights even ahead of getting the power you need to actually do that.

• RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Juggernut wrote: »
    Everything is terrifying lol

There's a reason I put this in the D&D BritPol OP

somebody_do_something.jpg