As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Cue up The Vapors, "Turning Japanese"

• PeasPeas Registered User regular
  • SomestickguySomestickguy Registered User regular
    Hi anime thread, I also will be in Japan as of tomorrow

Unfortunately it's only for five days so my adventures will be restricted to Tokyo

Looking forward to spending a day at DisneySea though!

• DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    Peas wrote: »
    I hope you people are ashamed of your words and deeds now

Well I'm always ashamed of one, why not the other as well?

• italianranmaitalianranma Registered User regular
    Gvzbgul wrote: »
    Isn't it an ad for nikuman, explaining the pig?

If only someone had translated the ad on the second page.

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    Gvzbgul wrote: »
    Isn't it an ad for nikuman, explaining the pig?

If so, then apparently chubby anime girl mascots are surprisingly common enough that people are having trouble telling them apart.

Unfortunately it's only for five days so my adventures will be restricted to Tokyo

I used a Frommer's guide the first time I went, but there are a ton of travel sites like Trip Advisor that have some great suggestions and printable maps. Tokyo is pretty overwhelming the first time you're there, but a lot of the attractions are really just shopping areas. If you're willing to take a train, there's a lot of cool things to see that are nearby Tokyo though not actually in the city. Kamakura, Fuji, the Ghibli Museum, et al. If you've got some specific questions, even regarding a----, send me a tell or ask in the thread and I'll point you in the right direction.

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    Like, I think Tokyo kind of sucks, but for sure if you like going to see touristy shit, the place has got you well covered for upwards of three weeks.

They kind of have the most "vanilla" food of the island, though.

Red miso till I die.

• Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    The Ghibli museum is super cool but getting tickets can be a pain. Definitely worth it if you're interested in animation and whatnot.

• halkunhalkun Registered User regular
    Don't make plans for the Ghibli Museum. It's closed until the middle of July. I wasted a day travel there and back only to eat a ham sandwich in some family mart. Also the Kowloon walled city mock-up in Kawasaki was a bust too. It's just an arcade and the cool walled city stuff is just a hallway to the escalator up to the arcade and the exit.

Get your ear picked... that's fun :)

Upshot: Family Mart has got better sandwiches than 7-11.

Well, better cold sandwiches anyway.

Do a bit of research before you set off, it's sometimes a crapshoot whether a thing has an English website or not, but definitely worth checking before you hike all the way out there.

• BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Has this ever happened to you?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLt5qSm9U80

I used to instigate this with one of my Hawaiian friends. I'd always point to her and say "she taught me everything."

O this is similar to this happened to us. 5 of my unit and I went in a mix of civilian, summer dress and one was wearing the flight suit coveralls
    So we went various places since we knew conversational or better Japanese since the Corp was pushing it [As we were doing VBSS stuff at the time we ran into people who either spoke Japanese, Mandarin , Russian or some other usually Japanese at some level so the Corp. thought it was worth it to teach us conversational Japanese even how to read Hiragana
    But at the various places the staff looked at us with the most alien confused expressions ranging for how dare you talk to me in my tongue. To how are you talking to me [they would answer back faster or slower] to just fear.
    It was really disappointing to witness it how xenophobic they really were

I dunno, I might be terrified as well if 5 marines were doing visit, board, search, and seizure stuff in my little family restaurant. Joking aside, did this happen in Okinawa? I've never been there myself, but I've heard they've got a much different outlook on American military there.

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
    I dunno, I might be terrified as well if 5 marines were doing visit, board, search, and seizure stuff in my little family restaurant. Joking aside, did this happen in Okinawa? I've never been there myself, but I've heard they've got a much different outlook on American military there.

Yes but like I said when we went ashore we were under the ever watchful eye of the commander and the MPs of whatever based we were at the time
    But the really bad part was going to Tokyo as they really looked at us weird or did the stuff I said since we were told we had two days of shore leave and to behave so some of us ran for it since it was the only fun we would get outside of the boat for weeks or wherever we stopped again

• TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    edited June 2016
    etqwr5kpkyej.jpg
    This Ghostbusters promotional stuff from Japan is getting ridiculous. I assume novelty curry must be their equivalent of mac n' cheese in fun shapes.

TankHammer on
    It's curry a coloured slime

• InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular

You are only limited to Tokyo if you want to be. Which is a fine choice if that's what you want to do.

But with the JR rail pass and bullet trains you can easily daytrip out to other locations if you so desire.

• MalReynoldsMalReynolds The Hunter S Thompson of incredibly mild medicines Registered User regular
    sarukun wrote: »
    Upshot: Family Mart has got better sandwiches than 7-11.

Well, better cold sandwiches anyway.

Do a bit of research before you set off, it's sometimes a crapshoot whether a thing has an English website or not, but definitely worth checking before you hike all the way out there.

7-11 now has some pretty dope hot chicken sandwiches.

The burgers are garbage, though.

"A new take on the epic fantasy genre... Darkly comic, relatable characters... twisted storyline."
    "Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor
    My new novel: Maledictions: The Offering. Now in Paperback!
    TankHammer wrote: »
    etqwr5kpkyej.jpg
    This Ghostbusters promotional stuff from Japan is getting ridiculous. I assume novelty curry must be their equivalent of mac n' cheese in fun shapes.

"With marshmallow and mushrooms"

"With beans and potatoes"

One of these things is not like the others.

Inquisitor wrote: »

You are only limited to Tokyo if you want to be. Which is a fine choice if that's what you want to do.

But with the JR rail pass and bullet trains you can easily daytrip out to other locations if you so desire.

Kinda pricey, but anything to get out of Tokyo, really.

• Mr KhanMr Khan Not Everyone WAHHHRegistered User regular
    Uriel wrote: »
    oooh oooooh

Can I be the forum DJ?

I'd lobby for it to be a function for which we can summon geth, once per thread to provide theme music.

• DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    I love Japan;
    Oh man!
    The land of Japan
    is cool.

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
    edited June 2016
    img

Man, chidren's tastes must be very different over there because I don't even know who would hear "marshmallow and mushroom" and think "yeah, that sounds alright!"

TankHammer on
    Mushrooms are super popular in general in Japan, and there are tons of cute mushroom themed mascot style characters in Japan.

That nameko mushroom farming ios game was real popular when I was over in Japan.

edited June 2016
    Mushrooms are super popular in general in Japan, and there are tons of cute mushroom themed mascot style characters in Japan.

That nameko mushroom farming ios game was real popular when I was over in Japan.

Listen.
    I really like mushrooms.
    I think many kinds of curry are delicious.
    Those aren't the ingredient I'm confused about.

I'm forced to assume that the concept of marshmallow is different overseas than here in the states.

TankHammer on
    Oh, no, they are probably marshmallows and it probably tastes real gross.

I like most Japanese food but then sometimes they put corn and mayonnaise on pizza and I just have no idea.

• PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    Corn on pizza is a thing we do here as well

Well add that to the list of things I'll accept in case packages then. Sounds like a real run collector's item/cruel prank!

• tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Has this ever happened to you?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLt5qSm9U80

I used to instigate this with one of my Hawaiian friends. I'd always point to her and say "she taught me everything."

Nothing this egregious. Like, this is obviously hyperbole, but generally, they just kind of direct questions at the Japanese person, and respond politely when you pipe up with something to say.

In foreigner bars in Taiwan I generally get wait staff that resolutely use English with me even when I refuse English menus or order from memory because I've been to the place often enough to know what I want, but pretty much every place else in Taiwan I never get this at all, as soon as I speak Mandarin there's usually relief and a follow up question on how long I've been living in Taiwan. I chalk the English-only up to the staff wanting to keep their English going as much as possible or a manager's insistence, and try not to take it personal even though it bugs me a bit.

I met up with a Swiss friend in Zurich the other week. His English is excellent but he'd brought his sister along, and she was less fluent, so I was mostly speaking German to her and a mix with him. We hit up a restaurant - and he explicitly asks the wait staff for an English menu for me. I'm like "...dude."

• MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    etqwr5kpkyej.jpg

seriously, who puts potatoes in their curry?

• Butler For Life #1Butler For Life #1 Twinning is WinningRegistered User regular
    Hello Japan thread

I tried furikake tonight

Furikake is very, very good

• #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    Fuck yeah furikake makes just a cheap ass bowl of rice a delicious meal.

Like furikake on rice? You can almost pick those up in most major grocery stores. Well, at least on the west coast.

There's also a cool food truck if you're in the L.A. area called Tokyo Doggie Style that does these really awesome furikake fries.

I'd like to take this opportunity to share a little story with you all about bukkake soba, which is a totally safe for work link fyi (as will all the links be in this post). So, bukkake literally means to "splash or pour on" something, which in the dish refers to pouring the dashi soup stock over the cold buckwheat noodles. I don't know that there is a standard recipe, and I've seen a lot of variations, but without fail I've seen it served with this grated Chinese yam called yamaimo, which creates this sticky gooey texture without adding a strong taste, unlike nattou. This is all information I got after the fact.

So back a few years ago I was traveling with a Japanese friend and we stopped for a quick bite at a soba bar at one of those awesome truck stops they have everywhere along the major highways. The menu was only in Japanese, and didn't have much in the way of pictures or description, and ぶっかけそば was the second thing on the menu. So I gave her a weird look and asked her what it was, to which she replied "try it, it's good." I then asked her "isn't this something quite dirty?" and she got really red in the face and hushed me right away. So the dish came out, looking like this:
    1qtuq5c43w3z.jpg

and I gave her a 'you gotta be shitting me' look, which made her start giggling uncontrollably. So now the cook who's working the counter is watching me too and telling me to give it a try, which I was going to eat it from the start because I was in Korea for a year and I don't have food aversions anymore, and actually it was pretty good. So now whenever I get the chance to at a Japanese restaurant I order bukkake soba and don't give a hint of explanation to any of my non-Japanese friends who are with me.

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    Oh, no, they are probably marshmallows and it probably tastes real gross.

I like most Japanese food but then sometimes they put corn and mayonnaise on pizza and I just have no idea.

My thoughts always run to this bit every time I think about Japanese pizza.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hi1_gg-AJLY

b1ehrMM.gif
  • King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Silverspoon has an entire episode explaining japanese pizza thats so detaiIed I assume it was made specifically for american viewers.

It was actually quite helpful .

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • FalxFalx Registered User regular
    Anyone in Tokyo, or going soon needs to try the pizza here:

https://goo.gl/maps/spnjH52W3et

It's pretty damn good. Also try the elderflower beer.

• SomestickguySomestickguy Registered User regular
    So I'm in a capsule hotel after two days straight travel time

I chose this place thinking it would be the cheap but practical option

And instead it's the cheap and reeeeeeeeeeally nice option????

I'm here in this room with massage chairs, wifi, an unlimited drinks machine and computer cubicles with cushioned floors and throw rugs

Downstairs is a bathroom with the full works, hot tub and steam room

This is paradise I think?????

• Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    So I'm in a capsule hotel after two days straight travel time

I chose this place thinking it would be the cheap but practical option

And instead it's the cheap and reeeeeeeeeeally nice option????

I'm here in this room with massage chairs, wifi, an unlimited drinks machine and computer cubicles with cushioned floors and throw rugs

Downstairs is a bathroom with the full works, hot tub and steam room

This is paradise I think?????

What's the name/location? Sounds like a good place to recommend to friends when they come in to visit.

• a nu starta nu start Registered User regular
    I love oyako-don for the name alone.

親子丼

Well, I guess it tastes alright, too.

Number One Tricky
    Falx wrote: »
    Anyone in Tokyo, or going soon needs to try the pizza here:

https://goo.gl/maps/spnjH52W3et

It's pretty damn good. Also try the elderflower beer.

Another great pizza place in tokyo is Devilcraft. They do Chicago style deep dish pizza and have a great craft beer selection.