As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[pbp] Ruins of Undermountain (D&D 5e) - ADVENTURE OVER!!! Thanks for Playing!

• dresdenphiledresdenphile Watch out for snakes!Registered User regular
    I'm going to have to bow out. Real life is dumb, and I'm not going to get this done in a reasonable amount of time.

I'll be following the thread with great interest, though. Good luck, all!

steam_sig.png
  • DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    The spells a Cleric comes with are set, not recomendations, right?

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• am0nam0n Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    DaMoonRulz wrote: »
    The spells a Cleric comes with are set, not recomendations, right?

I think the Domain spells you get are. However, your daily prepared list is up to you (Domain spells are additional on top of your daily prepared).

am0n on
  • AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2016
    Basically, think of yourself as old edition Sorcerers: pick a number of spells equal to Cleric Level + WIS mod, from the list of cleric spells you have access to due to level. Then add in the specific domain spells you have access to to this list. These are your prepared spells. You can change these prepared spells after a long rest if you want.

You can then cast these spells in any order, whenever you'd like, by expending the appropriate spell slots you have available, which are listed in the table.

Edit: I may have typed this out before reading am0n's last paragraph.

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • ImthebOHGODBEESImthebOHGODBEES Registered User regular
    @Steelhawk CRAP'N POOPEN! I'm so sorry, my weekend filled up fast and stressfull. I will do this today when I get home from work. Unless it's too late then bump me to the C-list team and I will sell hot dogs in the stands until I'm needed.

Do you, in fact, have any builds in this shop at all?
  • SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    No worries, I'm not grading term papers here... :)

Get your submissions in by sometime this afternoon and I'll throw it in the same hat as the others!

• ImthebOHGODBEESImthebOHGODBEES Registered User regular
    http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=860508

Alzbet Brewsmith, beastmaster ranger.
    I'm not particularly likable, but I'm good at my job.

Do you, in fact, have any builds in this shop at all?
    edited June 2016
    THANK YOU ONE AND ALL!

The Party has been selected. It was a tough call to make, good submissions all around and all that jazz. What made it quite difficult was the fact that there was a lot of duplication of classes and races in the submission. I could keep pushing and prodding and eliciting more great submissions...but I'd rather start playing!

The following players can please line up and take their bows:

@am0n - Playing Ay, the Elf Monk
    @Bursar - Playing Barran the Halfling Rogue
    @Aegis - Playing Dural the Dwarf Paladin
    @Mongrel Idiot - Playing Philo the Human Fighter
    @evilthecat - Playing Salazar the Tiefling Sorcerer

Please polish off your character sheets and try and find a suitable character portrait (if you don't already have one). I look forwards playing with you.

To the rest of you, thank you all for the submissions and definitely know that you will all be kept in mind in the unfortunate event of a PC's untimely demise.

Steelhawk on
  • AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    Methinks I might need to reconsider not preparing Cure Wounds.

Characters
    edited June 2016
    Heh. Maybe. There was a lack of cleric submissions. Thistle being the only one, and (sorry dude) but Thistle didn't quite have the right dungeon crawling feel to him.

Steelhawk on
    Damnit. Now I feel guilty for opening my big mouth and dissing the lack of cleric submissions and the one guy who actually rolled one up. Sigh.

@Nealneal - Retool your character (if you would like) a bit to make him less of a creature of the woods and I'll give you the 6th spot in the party.

• evilthecatevilthecat Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    updated my char sheet for the (hopefully) last time, I think everything of importance is there.
    Soooo how will this start/work? :D

edit: going to have to use a generic char portrait from google.

evilthecat on
    tip.. tip.. TALLY.. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
  • NealnealNealneal Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    Don't feel guilty. I knew Thistle as presented was likely to be Back-up material. I can try to fix him up today at lunch. Maybe Folk Hero instead of Hermit? That might give him a more travelling around feel. I'll fiddle with him to make sure he's top of the list for when someone disappears down the gullet of a lurker.

Nealneal on
  • Mongrel IdiotMongrel Idiot Registered User regular
    The first light of dawn found Philo awake and running the whetstone over he edge of his sword. Truthfully, there wasn't much use in being up so early: he'd checked and re-checked everything in his pack, secured the rivets that held the straps of his shield in place, and oiled everything that needed oiling every night for a week. But he'd never been able to sleep past sunrise, not while there might be work to be done.

The blade sharpened, he sheathed it and buckled on his sword belt. Standing, he went to the muddy mirror and regarded himself; he'd never been vain, but a captain's look in the thick of a fight could turn it as surely as his sword. There was a long pink scar that cut through the stubble on his right cheek - the work of a gnoll on the long road to Waterdeep - but it had healed handsomely enough. He'd been lucky to find work and food on the road so that he still had all his old strength, and his armor still fit him well.

Enough, he thought. Get on with it. Gathering his meager things, he made his way down to the common room to meet up with the others. Undermountain beckoned.

Portrait in the spoiler. A little more heavily armored than I imagined, but I think it gets the point across. Looking forward to the game!
    iphrc1djfa9i.jpg

Nealneal wrote: »
    Don't feel guilty. I knew Thistle as presented was likely to be Back-up material. I can try to fix him up today at lunch. Maybe Folk Hero instead of Hermit? That might give him a more travelling around feel. I'll fiddle with him to make sure he's top of the list for when someone disappears down the gullet of a lurker.

Yeah...it was the forest hermit part that gave me pause. What was a nature cleric hermit even doing in the biggest, most densely populated city in the world? Not very hermit-y, IMO. And why would a tree-hugger be eager to drop down a deep hole? Also, a few of your chosen spells, I thought, would be of limited use in this dungeon.

And to your credit I should have mentioned my concerns before party selection, not after. My bad.

evilthecat wrote: »
    updated my char sheet for the (hopefully) last time, I think everything of importance is there.
    Soooo how will this start/work? :D

edit: going to have to use a generic char portrait from google.

All I ever do is go to Google for portraits. Fill your boots! :)

You can go ahead and post a intro to your character if you'd like, In a few days, once the i's are dotted and all that I will write up a starting post about the Yawning Portal and the descent into Undermountain and we can get this show on the road!

Steelhawk wrote: »
    Nealneal wrote: »

Yeah...it was the forest hermit part that gave me pause. What was a nature cleric hermit even doing in the biggest, most densely populated city in the world? Not very hermit-y, IMO. And why would a tree-hugger be eager to drop down a deep hole? Also, a few of your chosen spells, I thought, would be of limited use in this dungeon.

And to your credit I should have mentioned my concerns before party selection, not after. My bad.

Ah, the spells, yeah those are the Domain specific spells for Nature. I didn't expect to get a lot of use out Animal Friendship, but they are what they are you know? Anywho, I'm thinking maybe Trickster Cleric to explain why he's in the city. Also Criminal background. You know, something totally different, but still very much the same chassis.

edited June 2016
    The new and improved Thistle.

Nealneal on
    edited June 2016
    Sheet/Image in spoiler. Pretty close to what I'd imagine for an image, minus the cape. No capes!

As the light breeze moved across his skin, Ay inhaled. To a passerby, he could easily be mistaken for a beggar or hobo as he sat motionless, his back against the building wall. He exhaled, the sun warming his skin. He knew it might be a while until he felt it again. He listened to the birds chirping in the distance. As he inhaled, he focused himself. He looked forward to his meditation, the tranquility helping to achieve balance. A balance that might be difficult to maintain in the near term.

With a final exhale, he reached for his staff, standing as he slung his bag over his shoulder. Modestly dressed, not much about Ay was very imposing, except perhaps the small dagger nestled in the small of his back. Opening his eyes to take in the sights once more, Ay turned to enter the tavern. "The trials await," he whispered to himself.

am0n on
  • RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    Bookmarking so I can follow along. I've never heard of Ruins of Undermountain, but the image in the OP of a tavern with a dungeon entrance is an incredible hard sell. Watching with anticipation =)

edited June 2016
    Rius wrote: »
    Bookmarking so I can follow along. I've never heard of Ruins of Undermountain, but the image in the OP of a tavern with a dungeon entrance is an incredible hard sell. Watching with anticipation =)

My favorite part is the human male trying for that last kiss while the human lady is shouting at him to get his ass in gear. The elf is hanging on the rope wondering what the hell he got himself into, and the dwarf is trying to figure out how to use the rope.

am0n on
    @evilthecat @Bursar - Any luck finding character portraits? If not, no worries. Whenever the time comes that I need to bust out my horrible maptools skills I'll find something to use to represent you. But I'd rather you guys found something.

Also, stay tuned! I've been quite busy at home and work and will try to get that first post up ASAP!

I think Dural's good, and with a real cleric I'll stick with my current spells unless we find ourselves OMGWTFBBQ by the time we get to our first long rest!

Characters
    Aegis wrote: »
    I think Dural's good, and with a real cleric I'll stick with my current spells unless we find ourselves OMGWTFBBQ by the time we get to our first long rest!

Actually, Nealneal has opted to remain on the waiting list. So, in the interest of party longevity, maybe you should rethink your spell selection. Your call, of course.

Also, for those of you who are rolling into this dungeon with fat purses (*cough* Salazar *cough*) maybe you should reconsider the value of some healing potions. :)

Okay!

Cure Wounds over Thunderous Smite then. I was considering the tactical disadvantage of an ability that emits loud thunder 300ft out in an underground cavern filled, presumably, with shit that wants to kill us.

Characters
  • BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    @evilthecat @Bursar - Any luck finding character portraits?

I added something to my character sheet. Here it is!
    6593.jpg
    I do wish I could find the artist so I could credit them, but it appears the only thing this picture is ever used for is on rpg forums.

GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    egc6gp2emz1v.png
    good lord there's alot of rule34 stuff on tieflings D:

anyway, this one ought to do.
    totes not a pyromaniac.
    *rubs hands together*
    5415322252_d6ef280b9f_z.jpg

I don't think you have enough fire.

Characters
    I don't think you have enough fire.

Juuuust need 2 more levels to rectify that..

Actually, Nealneal has opted to remain on the waiting list. So, in the interest of party longevity, maybe you should rethink your spell selection. Your call, of course.

Also, for those of you who are rolling into this dungeon with fat purses (*cough* Salazar *cough*) maybe you should reconsider the value of some healing potions. :)

Almost wondering if a level in fighter for second wind would be prudent...

Depends on how steelhawk wants to handle the pricing, dm and phb state different pricing.

Use PHB pricing at character creation. 50gp each

edited July 2016
    The Yawning Portal - An Introduction

The Yawning Portal, famous for holding the entrance to Undermountain, stands in Waterdeep on Rainrun Street in the upper part of the Dock Ward. It's a must-see location for many visitors to the great city, and many adventurers use it as their starting point and refuge during their dungeon plumbing.

Built on the site of Halaster's tower, the Yawning Portal is a rambling structure strewn with blue tapestries. Food at the inn is decent and prices for room and board are fair. Durnan built the Yawning Portal with wealth taken from Undermountain, and he has run the inn since his retirement from adventuring more than seventy years ago. Now approaching a hundred years of age, the white-haired Durnan is nevertheless a powerful presence behind the bar, and many consider him an institution in Waterdeep. With muscles like catapult shots and a greatsword hung among the racks of mugs and bottles, few make trouble in the inn, and those who do quickly come to regret it. The local toughs and bravos know better than to set foot in the Yawning Portal, and newcomers to the inn receive a friendly welcome from other patrons along with an admonishment about fighting or casting spells. Durnan asks those who do come to conflict to leave the inn, ejecting them if they refuse. A few off-duty city guards are usually in the taproom, and they call on their fellows to arrest any brawlers, whether inside or outside. As a result of Durnan's influence and the attraction of the entrance to the dungeon, having dinner or a drink at the Yawning Portal remains a relatively safe and entertaining way to spend time, and many local laborers and merchants rub shoulders with the exotic foreigners and adventurers drawn to the place.

The centerpiece of the taproom is a wide well with a low wall. This is the "yawning portal" and the entrance to Undermountain. The well is surrounded by everburning torches, and a large winch-and-pulley construction hangs a rope over a 140-foot drop into the dungeon. For the price of 1gp Durnan happily lowers any paying patron into the well by means of the winch and a long length of silk rope. Be careful though, if someone insists on being lowered with more weight than Durnan thinks the rope can hold and it should break on the way down, Durnan hollers an "I told you so" to the falling adventurer -- much to the amusement of his patrons. Those who make use of the well without paying earn Durnan's ire, and he refuses to raise them out of the well without having them first tie their wealth and gear -- everything but underclothes -- to the rope. Durnan then keeps the wealth and holds the gear and items until the adventurer can afford to buy them back at a fair price or pay 1,000 gp, whichever is less. If an adventurer returns to the well and wants to come back up, he must have 1 gp to pay Durnan. Those who can't pay must give Durnan their gear, paying Durnan 500 gp or the cost of their gear before he returns the items. If someone refuses Durnan's terms or attempts to leave without paying, Durnan either leaves them at the bottom of the well or forcibly puts them back down there. The 140-foot drop convinces most folk that embarrassment and poverty is the preferable option. Durnan may have established this tavern as a draw for adventurers to test themselves against the dungeon...but he's not running a charity here.

Durnan provides other services to adventurers. In addition to providing food and libation, he rents rooms and storage lockers, and he keeps some dungeoneering essentials on hand to sell to those who might have forgotten something in their preparations. Durnan charges 5 gp a day for use of a storage locker, and he requires payment up front. He sells the items stored within if a person doesn't return to take them. This might seem steep, but few safer places exist within the city to store wealth and goods than with Durnan. Durnan also sells healing potions provided to him through the temple of Tymora in the city. Durnan doesn't provide other healing or help to returning adventurers, but he'll send a runner with a message to one of the temples for free. (He considers such a small service to be paid for by the PCs' entrance fee and the entertainment they provide to his patrons simply by choosing to delve into the dungeon.)

There are a number of more...interesting...regular whom adventurers may have interest in:

- There is the strange "clericof Kelmvor known as Brother Sepulcher, a middle aged man in brown robes who has an eerie fascination with the various tombs and crypts within and the adventurers who die in Undermountain. He even goes so far as to stop those going down the well in order to measure them with a well worn tape measure. Those he deems too tall get tsk tsk'd and his companions are advised to "break his legs of you want to fit him into the many alcoves and crypts in the dungeon".

- The gnomish potion merchant Malkin Mucklar, who holds a grudge that Durnan sells healing potions cheaper than he does but still kicks back enough from his profits to be the only potion seller allowed on the premesis

- The drunk dwarf cobbler who lost a brother to the dungeon and drinks himself into a stupor every night trying to recreate the feeling his brother had when he screwed up enough courage to enter the dungeon.

- The Halfling map maker and seller who's stock includes various incomplete and partial maps of Undermountain. Ruudi pays good coin for maps that will add to her collection.

The five doughty adventurers have been feted and feasted enough for one night. The gambling and boasting have eased down and if the adventurers don't actually descend into the well, things are going to get very awkward. Seizing upon the mood of the crowd, Durnan leaves his post behind the bar and rubs his hands together. "Alright, alright! Shut yer traps! Its time! Let these brave and stupid bastards get on with it!" he roars heading to the winch and holding up on the of ropes.

"So...unless you've got any last minute requests...which one of you is going first?"

@Bursar @evilthecat @Aegis @Mongrel Idiot @am0n Hope you enjoyed that info dump on the Yawning Portal. Lets get this show on the road!

Steelhawk on
  • Mongrel IdiotMongrel Idiot Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    Philo slung his shield over his back, checked the set of his sword belt, and stepped to the edge of the well, coin in hand. "I'll take the point," he said. "Perhaps near the well's bottom is more safe than other parts of the dungeon, but if it isn't I think chain and shield will prove handy. Do I seem light enough for your rope, Master Durnan?"

If possible, I'd like to assume that over the course of the evening's festivities Philo managed to spend 10 minutes inspiring his comrades, granting each of them (and himself) 5 temporary HP via the Inspiring leader feat.

Mongrel Idiot on
    The dwarf spends a fair bit of time simply staring down into the illuminated depths, as far as the everburning torches shine, his chin resting on the butt end of the upturned warhammer that rests at the edge of the plunge. His trance is broken at the mention of weight and you can start to hear grumbling coming from the gruff little man, "Most important entrance to a legendary tomb and source of ire for the ages, and y'enter it by a rope. A rope!" His pack laden form then waddles laboriously over to Durnan behind the bar, hopping up on a stool and sliding two, tarnished gold coins across to the imposing innkeeper. "I'll be taking two ropes: one for me and the other for mine." Still grumbling, Dural simply gestures to the overflowing provisions strapped and stuffed within and upon his backpack and various other containers before making his way back to where his other companions have assembled. "Well, if y'shield ain't enough, then mine will be down shortly after."

Yea, I'm gonna need 2 ropes, heh.

Characters
  • BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    Over the course of the evening, Barran felt his odds of surviving a jaunt into the Undermountain grew steadily, and he allowed himself a feel a glimmer of hope. The companions that Fate (and Durnan, don't forget that) had flung him into fellowship with seemed a serious bunch, which meant that they'd probably be capable of watching out for one another. That boded far better than some of the people he'd once thought "friends..."

Barran shook off the unpleasant memories and opened his meager purse. "Here's one gold for the lift down, and another for the lift back up," he said, flipping two coins to the man at the winch. He stared down for a moment at the single remaining coin in his pouch before sighing and stowing it back into his kit. He gave a final showy smile and wave to the crowd he had been playing to, then wrapped his hands around the silken rope leading into the darkness and waited for the descent.

Barran casts the Light cantrip on his hat, illuminating the area around him. It probably gives everyone taller than him a creepy "flashlight under the chin" shadow effect, too.

GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    egc6gp2emz1v.png
    The evening was surprisingly pleasant. Good food, good music, and one particularly attractive bar maid made for good dance. Any worries of what awaited him below mostly vanished, at least until Durnan spoke up. With a deep inhale and exhale, Ay nodded, making his way over to his small stash of equipment. Sheathing his dagger and strapping his pack and staff to his back, he gave a wink to the young lady who kept him company on the dance floor.

Turning, he followed the halfling over to the winch, and seeing him toss two coins in Durnan's direction, pulled two coins from his own purse. "One for down, one for back up," Ay said, placing the coins on the wall next to the winch. With a small bow towards Durnan, Ay made his way over to the others. "Destiny awaits, my friends. Let's not keep it waiting much longer." He then patiently awaited his turn to be lowered into the darkness.

edited July 2016
    (sooo, not sure how you're running this. just gonna wing the first post!)

What had been a spur or the moment idea to avoid the rain has now become bitter reality for Salazar.
    Turning back now would make him a laughing stock; or worse, a target of opportunity out in the streets of Waterdeep.
    No, he'd have to at least muck around down in that god forsaken dwarven hellhole for a day or two, long enough for the punters in the bar to settle their bets and, hopefully, find new adventurers to focus their alcohol-fuelled gambling on.
    Moments before Durnan announced the descent, Salazar attempted some last minute haggling.
    No point dying with money in your pockets.
    "Master dwarf, I hear you're the man for potions around here! Hows 120gp for 3 healing potions sound? Consider the rate an .. investment. The longer we live, the more coin your patrons here will spend!"
    minion, roll 1d20+5 persuasion.
    (I will buy 2 for 100gp if it fails, none if he ups the price).

A smug/vexed Salazar makes his way to the rope.
    His 4 compatriots had already been lowered down.
    There haven't been any screams and the light cantrip the wanna-be wizard had cast was steady; an attack would probably result in more erratic movement.

"Ok then Durnan, whenever you're ready!".
    Two gp fly through the air and Salazar slowly disappears into the dark.

Arriving at the bottom, he looks around to see what his co-adventurers are up to...

edit:
    mucked around with the roll formatting a bit, can't fix it retroactively, learned something for the future!

100gp if it fails, none if he ups the price):
    1d20+5 18 [1d20=13]

evilthecat on
    edited July 2016
    The Gnome potion-monger chuckles at Salazar's boldness. "I'm already taking a loss on healing potions, friend. No haggling. Besides...in this business, gold in hand is a guaranteed thing. More guaranteed than you coming back out that hole alive."

Take those two potions at 100gp. I still consider this to be a purchase at character creation. I appreciate the moxie though, and that was a good roll!

Steelhawk on
    The last echoes of the crowd's toasts and betting whisper about you as you descend deep into the well. As the flickering light from the torches above fades, a chill overtakes you, and you find yourself still sinking with no end in sight. You drop slowly and steadily deeper on the rope, almost as if you were the bait on an weighted fishing line in placid waters, but the cold and the quiet of the well that surrounds you is anything but peaceful. The silence has more of a waiting quality to it. After being lowered for what seems like an eternity, you at last see the bottom. Below you stretches sand-covered ground and whatever fate awaits you in Undermountain.

Several inches of sand covers the floor of this roughly square room. Broken and dented shields hang on stone walls covered with chalk and charcoal graffiti. The ceiling looms a mere 10 feet above you -- as it does in the hallway that leads out of the room to the south -- but a 30-footdiameter hole in the ceiling forms a chimney that rises more than 100 feet above you. The only light in the room now is what you have brought with you.

What do you do?