As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Is this [Love]?

• miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    my name is common enough that there are 30+ of us on wikipedia, so good luck trying to google me, internet stalkers

uc3ufTB.png
  • OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    my name is common enough that there are 30+ of us on wikipedia, so good luck trying to google me, internet stalkers

I only found four

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• JansonJanson Registered User regular
    Both my kids have unique names; in fact, I can be pretty certain that my daughter is the only person in the entire world with her name, and that does make me worry a little.

• bowtiedsealbowtiedseal Registered User regular
    I think my username on okcupid was a_(my first name) and lots of people did not get that it was my actual name, which was fine.

There's at least one other of me in San Francisco because I got her background check emailed to my gmail when she applied to be an uber driver.

• StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    edited June 2016
    I definitely have a unique (first + last) name in the states, and probably worldwide

Googling my last name will bring up dozens of pictures of members of my family (like, very direct family - parents, grandparents, aunts/uncles)

It has its upsides and its downsides

Straightzi on
  • tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I have a reasonably accessible public online presence, due to work stuff, so I just own it. As an academic it's more advantageous being find-able than not. That said, this is outside the context of a dating site, where I can imagine you might want a little more privacy.

• durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    Straightzi wrote: »
    I definitely have a unique (first + last) name in the states, and probably worldwide

Googling my last name will bring up dozens of pictures of members of my family (like, very direct family - parents, grandparents, aunts/uncles)

It has its upsides and its downsides

Ditto, I try to have a pretty squeaky-clean presence under my given name since like if you google even my last name it is legit only direct extended family members.

Also, a good 40% of them have been arrested for tax fraud which like fucking come on get your act together extended family

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • BogeyBogey I'm back, baby! Santa Monica, CAModerator mod
    Happy Birthday, tynic! :o

Fitocracy: Join us in the SE++ group!
    XBox LIVE: Bogestrom | Destiny
    PSN: Bogestrom
  • StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    In dating news, Ghost Girl (a girl who I had gone on a couple of very successful dates with who ghosted me and then reappeared a month later) has started showing up as a recommended friend for me on Facebook

Presumably this is because Facebook is hella creepy and has pulled her phone number from my phone to connect us somehow

But it is really weird

And it's making me a little bit tempted to contact her again, even though I was kind of trying not to do that

• JarsJars Registered User regular
    I wouldn't give my name out even here because I don't like it and wouldn't want people referring to me that way

• XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
  • LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    Obviously if you can be found professionally/personally really easy then yeah don't put your name out. If you're a Tim in a city of Tims and not online is what I was thinking. You do you!

Brogey wrote: »
    Happy Birthday, tynic! :o

thank you Brogey, my broseph. Brosemite Sam.

... let's form a band called Brosie and the Pussycats.

• miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »
    My name is Bort

just like bort!!

uc3ufTB.png
  • TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »
    My name is Bort
    We are out of Bort license plates.
    I repeat, we are out of Bort license plates.

steam_sig.png
  • WACriminalWACriminal Dying Is Easy, Young Man Living Is HarderRegistered User regular
    edited June 2016
    Yeah, I can definitely put my name in there. I have a common first name, and am nobody of importance in any context, lol.

Thanks for the feedback, guys. I'll incorporate it when I get a chance tonight.

WACriminal on
  • That Dave FellaThat Dave Fella Registered User regular
    I very recently told a toxic person who I was "friends" with that we should no longer be friends. They then proceeded to try and guilt me for raising things with them that upset me and then to gaslight me. The friendship broke down because they became jealous that I was friends with another girl and gave them more attention and I was not 100% available whenever they wanted my attention.

This is kinda hard cause as toxic as they were for me, they were one of the only people who would ask to spend time with me online in some capacity.

I know it's for the best cause it wasn't healthy and fucked with my quite a lot. It'll get better I'm sure but dang it sure is lonely.

PSN: ThatDaveFella
  • HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    Apparently googling my name brings up pictures of conspicuously smiley dentists in Minnesota.

• That Dave FellaThat Dave Fella Registered User regular
    If you google my name you get a character from a tv show!

PSN: ThatDaveFella
    Some dude with my name really likes hiking.

(I also really like hiking but I don't do it often and certainly don't post about it on the Internet).

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Calamity JaneCalamity Jane That Wrong Love Registered User regular
    current relationship is going pretty well. i cant elucidate a whole lot on this, but part of the relationship involves me spending half a year or so in england so that i can bring my first printed and published comic to term, like a big fucked up baby. lot of unique problems, but i feel very blessed to have a turnaround after some dark years, you know?

twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
  • JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    The most famous me on the Google is a character on One Tree Hill apparently.

• TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I'm pretty glad my name is so common.

My first name is probably one of the most common names.

Juggernut wrote: »
    The most famous me on the Google is a character on One Tree Hill apparently.

Chad Michael Murray‽

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    As near as I can tell, I am the only one with my first+last name combo.
    My last name, here in the Portland metro area, is a lot more common than anywhere I've ever seen before! Fancy high-end construction people plus a few doctors! Wow, the family might be successful? Cool!

Gotta start putting them feelers out.

• CelloCello Registered User regular
    My first name is common but the only person I share my full name with is from a census in the early 1900s in Wales and is possibly a relative based on ancestry?? There uh, aren't really any web accounts for her online, so searches mostly just bring me up.

Spookily enough, the same family also has two other people with my middle names and also I think my sister's name, too.

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
    edited June 2016
    I suspect I've told this story before, but there's a town on the edge of the Blue Mountains which has a slight cluster of people with my last name (presumably related to each other, and quite likely related to us through the misty bogs of the Emerald Isle).

My uncle swung through there on his motorbike once a few years ago, stopped for a drink at the pub. I think from the licensing sign or something similar, he saw that the owners had our last name, and made a comment to the bartender.
    Bartender: "Oh I wonder if we're related! My name's [my father's name]"
    My uncle says: "Ha, that's funny, that's my brother's name!"
    Bartender: "Ha! I have a brother too; but his name is [my uncle's name]."

My uncle backed out slowly, fearing a Twilight Zone episode.

tynic on
    Cello wrote: »
    My first name is common but the only person I share my full name with is from a census in the early 1900s in Wales and is possibly a relative based on ancestry?? There uh, aren't really any web accounts for her online, so searches mostly just bring me up.

Spookily enough, the same family also has two other people with my middle names and also I think my sister's name, too.

so what you're saying is your family is a bunch of welsh vampires huh

uc3ufTB.png
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    My name is my actual name because whatever

Also your profile should be as true to, like, your voice if you like? as it can be

Then there's not a dissonance between you as a profile, you in a message chat, you in real life etc.

• ZoelZoel I suppose... I'd put it on Registered User regular
    fun okc fact: anyone who says that people with low IQs shouldn't be allowed to sexually reproduce fails almost 100% of the educational background questions.

A magician gives you a ring that, when worn, will let you see the world as it truly is.
    However, the ring will never leave your finger, and you will be unable to ever describe to another living person what you see.
    I mean I fail most educational background questions I bet.

Should I get way into eugenics? :rotate:

• XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Solar wrote: »

Also your profile should be as true to, like, your voice if you like? as it can be

Then there's not a dissonance between you as a profile, you in a message chat, you in real life etc.

Mine (when I had one) was also my real name

because I didn't read the instructions =P

• WACriminalWACriminal Dying Is Easy, Young Man Living Is HarderRegistered User regular
    Solar wrote: »

I'm not sure how to do this. I've met several folks in real life after knowing them online, and the consensus seems to be that I'm quieter and less funny (which I read as polite for "more boring", thanks anxiety disorders!) in person.

• ZoelZoel I suppose... I'd put it on Registered User regular
    Uriel wrote: »

I mean Idk if you think the earth is bigger than the sun but you also think unintelligent people shouldn't have children then uhHHHhhHHHhhhHHHH

you should reconsider that

A magician gives you a ring that, when worn, will let you see the world as it truly is.
    However, the ring will never leave your finger, and you will be unable to ever describe to another living person what you see.
  • SkwigelfSkwigelf Passed out in a cloud of farts and cigarette smoke.Registered User regular
    Janson wrote: »
    Both my kids have unique names; in fact, I can be pretty certain that my daughter is the only person in the entire world with her name, and that does make me worry a little.

Couldn't just name her "Katelyn" like normal people, could you?

• VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    Ha ha ha

we talkin' about names in here?

hoo boy

• JarsJars Registered User regular
    nah, I have a pretty unique name and it turns out there's like 30 people with no only the same first name but the same last name as well

edited June 2016
    Zoel wrote: »
    Uriel wrote: »

I mean Idk if you think the earth is bigger than the sun but you also think unintelligent people shouldn't have children then uhHHHhhHHHhhhHHHH

you should reconsider that

Oh okay those questions.

I thought you meant level of completed schooling stuff haha.

Yeah that's weird stuff. I dunno why some of those questions are things people would even answer honestly they are obviously a trick.

Tallahasseeriel on
  • lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    if i google my name, i find a trumpet player and a 40-something vegan celebrity from vancouver. She even has a few cookbooks. I of course bought one because, I mean, I have a cookbook with my name on it on my shelf now.

I wanted to apologize to thread in general for gushing about Ecco and the flowers at the end of the last thread. I didn't mean to upset anybody or anything.

edited June 2016
    I can't imagine how or why that would have upset anyone??? It's adorable and sweet and you guys are a friggin' role model.

tynic on
This discussion has been closed.