As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Goto Page...

Joseph StalinJoseph Stalin Registered User regular
I think we need a better "Goto Page" system. I mean, we have a decent system now... if the thread is five pages long. I mainly frequent SE++, so I don't know how long threads in other forums get, but I say improvement in nessaccary. What I propose is that we have a "Jump to page" option. This would allow the user to input a page number, and then press "Go," or some sort of button... you could figure it out. After selecting "Go," the thread would automaticaly skip to that page. I'm not sure how hard this would be, but it doesn't seem too bad. I think it's a nice alternative to hitting "Next" a lot, especially if it is a NSF56K thread. Comments? Ideas? Is it feasable?

Let the ruling classes tremble at a Communist revolution. The proletarians have nothing to lose but their chains. They have a world to win.

Workingmen of all countries, unite!
Joseph Stalin on

• Options
    ObbiObbi Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2004
    I've been wanting one of these forevar.

Obbi on
  • Options
    Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    edited June 2004
    Real Life Forums has that feature, but it's needed so rarely that it might as well not be there. I guess it could be useful on things like chat threads that grow exponentially, but in general, it seems kinda unneccessary.

Salvation122 on
  • Options
    ÄlphämönkëyÄlphämönkëy Registered User regular
    edited June 2004
    I have a phpBB hack in mind, I just want to stress test it to make sure it wont add to much overhead.

Älphämönkëy on
  • Options
    SmasherSmasher Starting to get dizzy Registered User regular
    edited June 2004
    Is multiplying by 25 really that hard?

Smasher on
  • Options
    ShiosaiShiosai Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2004
    I was just thinking this myself as I was digging 20 pages back looking for a link in the anime thread. And before someone says it, sometimes Search just won't help.

Shiosai on
    60353019xm5.jpg
  • Options
    matthias00matthias00 Registered User regular
    edited June 2004
    Yay!

You do not know how many times that could have saved me VALUBLE minutes of my time!

matthias00 on
  • Options
    edited June 2004
    Smasher wrote:
    Is multiplying by 25 really that hard?
    To be done correctly, yes.

Älphämönkëy on
  • Options
    OrthancOrthanc Death Lite, Only 1 Calorie Off the end of the internet, just turn left.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2004
    Personally I'd do it with a javascipr prompt. Ugly as shit but it's quick and dirty with basically no load on the server

<a onClick="var url='urlWithoutPostNumber&post=';var page=prompt('What Page You Fucker?'); url = url+(page*25); document.location.href=url;">Go To Page</a>

Orthanc on
    orthanc
  • Options
    edited June 2004
    Orthanc wrote:
    Personally I'd do it with a javascipr prompt. Ugly as shit but it's quick and dirty with basically no load on the server

<a onClick="var url='urlWithoutPostNumber&post=';var page=prompt('What Page You Fucker?'); url = url+(page*25); document.location.href=url;">Go To Page</a>
    Thats not a bad idea. I was going to do a nice little drop down thing so it would look like this
    1..2..3..4..5.. [ ## ] ..95..96..97..98..99..100

Älphämönkëy on
  • Options
    JHunzJHunz Registered User regular
    edited June 2004
    Orthanc wrote:

<a onClick="var url='urlWithoutPostNumber&post=';var page=prompt('What Page You Fucker?'); url = url+((page-1)*25); document.location.href=url;">Go To Page</a>
    ?

JHunz on
    bunny.gif Gamertag: JHunz. R.I.P. Mygamercard.net bunny.gif
  • Options
    RamiusRamius Joined: July 19, 2000 Administrator, ClubPA admin
    edited June 2004
    Orthanc wrote:

Thats not a bad idea. I was going to do a nice little drop down thing so it would look like this

a dropdown with 100 items isn't really "nice".

Ramius on
  • Options
    LegacyLegacy Stuck Somewhere In Cyberspace The Grid(Seattle)Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2004
    Ramius wrote:
    Orthanc wrote:

It's a bit better than having to change through the pages slowly, though...

Legacy on
    Can we get the chemicals in. 'Cause anything's better than this.
  • Options
    StevenSteven Registered User regular
    edited June 2004
    Not like you couldn't just tap '7' to get into the 70s. Pressing a number key a few times is still a lot quicker than going page by page.

Steven on
  • Options
    OrthancOrthanc Death Lite, Only 1 Calorie Off the end of the internet, just turn left.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2004
    Ramius wrote:
    Orthanc wrote:

particularly not on shitty browsers *cough*IE*cough*, I've seen big drop downs lag on IE before.

On a completly unrelated note, I think +/- 1 errors like that are probably one of the lagest sources of bugs.

Orthanc on
    orthanc
  • Options
    LegacyLegacy Stuck Somewhere In Cyberspace The Grid(Seattle)Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2004
    Um...a dropdown with a scroll bar when it gets larger? Is that not possible? :P

Legacy on
    Can we get the chemicals in. 'Cause anything's better than this.
  • Options
    edited June 2004
    Legacy wrote:
    Um...a dropdown with a scroll bar when it gets larger? Is that not possible? :P

It's browser dependendant how it renders a drop down, most of them put a scroll. But I've still seen them lag in IE

Orthanc on
    orthanc
  • Options
    edited June 2004
    I never said I was done with the concept :P

Älphämönkëy on
  • Options
    WhippyWhippy Moderator, Admin Emeritus Admin Emeritus
    edited June 2004
    M2 was better. They just had all the numbers of pages in the thread shown, none of this pussy dotdotdot shit.

Whippy on
  • Options
    Johnny SmashJohnny Smash Tucson, AZRegistered User regular
    edited June 2004
    yeah man those were the days what the fuck

Johnny Smash on
    cFhq9lX.jpg