As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[The Daily Show], [Last Week Tonight], & [Comedy News In General]

ForarForar #432Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
edited February 23 in Debate and/or Discourse
Comedic Political Commentary Shows, and the fans that adore them!

Wow, this OP hasn't been edited in almost half a decade, and yet the thread carries on.

In the time since it was last tweaked, Full Frontal with Samantha Bee concluded, Trevor Noah has stepped down as The Daily Show's lead, and Jon Stewart has returned once a week. Another writers strike occurred, John Oliver has been up to all kinds of shenanigans, not least of which involves currently picking a fight with Disney because he can, and the world collectively holds its breath for Indecision 2024: What The Ever Loving Fuck Edition.

This thread is to discuss the aforementioned shows, alongside the likes of Late Night with Seth Myers, The Late Show with Stephen Colbert, and I guess some of those other guys from Strike Force Five can show up too now and then...

FoxMosque-young.jpg

tv2vsulht1p2.png

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
Forar on

• AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    From the prior thread:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-M4qHzd3xfM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A98QTdzyZA8

The second video has a clip of Darrell Issa literally hopping over a fence to avoid reporters. It has to be seen to be believed.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    Having recently watched the Brexit bit by John Oliver, I once again realised that there's something about him that rubs me the wrong way. It's the delivery, though I couldn't put my finger on what it is exactly. I agree with him politically, I think the points he makes are the pertinent ones, I like his perspective (that of a Brit embracing his new home but deploring its idiocies and hypocrisies) and appreciate the strength of his convictions - but as a comedian I find him rather grating.

Which isn't a problem - I don't have to watch his show, after all. I'm just wondering if I'm alone in this; generally my impression is that he and his work are well loved, except perhaps by those on the other side of the political spectrum.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    I totally think LWT's strenght is in the writing. Olvier's sarcastic and self-deprecating presentation style can be a bit annoying.

honovere on
  • AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    I think a significant part of it is his response to laughter. When the audience laughed and broke Stewart's rhythm, he would add another joke or extend the bit somehow. Oliver typically responds by just repeating the punchline, which is much more annoying and less funny than just letting the line stand and taking a breath.

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Yeah, much as I love what they do, his shtick of 'bang desk while repeating the punchline 3 or 4 times' can grate a little. I usually find myself thinking 'okay, we get it, please get back to being awesome'.

• hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    Last Week Tonight should release a video of Oliver just pounding his deck screaming "No no no" for 10 minutes.

• KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    I honestly hate the audience when they laugh for too long. Worst part about Colbert Report

hippofant wrote: »
    Last Week Tonight should release a video of Oliver just pounding his deck screaming "No no no" for 10 minutes.

After this Brexit Bullshit, I wouldn't be surprised if John did it on his own.

• dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    For whatever reason I think LWT has changed quite a bit from the first season and I can't quite tell why. I think it may be the topics it's covered this season have mostly been what's in the news anyway.

The show does the best stuff when it covers things like Puerto Rico and Tobacco. It's at the worst when it proves Trump is full of shit for the first 8 minutes every week. We all know he's full of shit... I personally knew almost nothing about Puerto Rico.

edited June 2016
    I think having little shots at Trump is going to be an ongoing thing until the General Election is over. Yes, there are those that argue 'oh that's just more free publicity, there's no such thing as bad press', but I think that's bullshit. John and the team continuing to make Trump a joke is something I hope continues to stick. Even if I'm a touch wary of gags overstaying their welcome, or becoming too obvious, calling him out on his bullshit is important.

Look at the Brexit stuff that's happening right now, at the reports of people choosing not to vote because 'it wouldn't matter' or those who voted to Leave 'because it wouldn't matter' or 'for the lulz' or any number of stupid reasons they now regret. Not only is it making him a laughing stock, people should be aware just how awful he is, on an ongoing basis. Granted, we can't become complacent, as the political threads are always harping on, and I'm not saying 'the left' should devolve into Fox style 'vote out of Fear' approach, but fine lines aside, yeah, I think it's important enough to remain A Thing for as long as necessary.

Similarly, even as a joke, people can't rest on their laurels or assume it's in the bag, and I can only imagine that (assuming this season ends in November, as the last two did) they'll start pushing people to register to vote, and then actually fucking vote at some point.

It's like The Daily Show's "Indecision 20__" bit, but since they only have half an hour a week rather than ~1.5 hours of content, repeat topics will necessarily take up a larger percentage of the show across weeks and months than might be ideal.

But when it comes to Trump's bullshit? Just keep going.

Forar on
  • ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    Astaereth wrote: »
    I think a significant part of it is his response to laughter. When the audience laughed and broke Stewart's rhythm, he would add another joke or extend the bit somehow. Oliver typically responds by just repeating the punchline, which is much more annoying and less funny than just letting the line stand and taking a breath.

The punchline!

John repeats the punchline!

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • abotkinabotkin Registered User regular
    "We're off for a few weeks and we'll be back July 27th."

Well damn it. Particularly since that was a slightly disappointing episode.

steam_sig.png
    3DS: 0963-0539-4405
    I think Full Frontal is now at the top of my list and it's because of Sam Bee's attitude.

• PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    Is that a green screen, or did he actually not bother to make sure his clothes got all the way in the dresser before they started rolling?

And the apparent age of that TV is fascinating. Does it work? Is it a facade for something more sinister?

• FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    honovere wrote: »
    I think Full Frontal is now at the top of my list and it's because of Sam Bee's attitude.

She's just so pissed!

Fencingsax wrote: »

She's just so pissed!

I dunno she's so bossy, loud, and nagging...

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    Preacher wrote: »
    Fencingsax wrote: »

She's just so pissed!

I dunno she's so bossy, loud, and nagging...

There's a great dispari...

Wait.

I see what you did there.

• cncaudatacncaudata Registered User regular
    Jessica Williams is leaving for her own show on CC. Thursday will have her last segment.
    http://www.ew.com/article/2016/06/29/jessica-williams-leaving-daily-show

PSN: Broodax- battle.net: broodax#1163
    I think its a good thing the new daily show is losing old anchors, if only so it can develop its own identity. Hopefully they fired their twitter guy after the dumb bullshit on monday.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    I think its a good thing the new daily show is losing old anchors, if only so it can develop its own identity. Hopefully they fired their twitter guy after the dumb bullshit on monday.

what happened on Monday?

• VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    Buttcleft wrote: »

what happened on Monday?

This:

(Eventually followed by this, presumably after much outrage:)

Vyolynce on
    nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social
  • Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    Wow, that was ill thought out

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    No comment so far on the Daily Show bit on the recent police shootings?

http://www.cc.com/video-clips/f3qur6/the-daily-show-with-trevor-noah-the-fatal-shootings-of-alton-sterling-and-philando-castile

I haven't altogether warmed to Noah's delivery, but I thought he was very good in this one. It's not a particularly funny one, though it uses humour to make some very grim points, but the delivery fits the content so well.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Who was the third shooting he mentioned? I hadn't heard about that.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
    Good news for once. LWT did a piece on tobacco a while ago and here's the latest news from Uruguay

ontd-political.livejournal.com/11502865.html

Too bad LWT is on summer break.

• Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular

Samantha Bee is magical.

Samantha Bee is magical.

Obviously the people that hired her to play Sailor Moon knew magic when they saw it.

Also, this dropped;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQtYlkwR8lM

• Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    It really sucks that the Colbert and pals Get Lucky video has been scrubbed from the internet. All I can find are low resolution poorly captured ones. It was on Hulu and the CC website but it's been removed with no reason given.

• VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    AV Club just did a pair of interviews with the TDS crew about the upcoming convention coverage since they're actually taking the show on the road for both of them. Trevor got a solo piece and then (most of) the Correspondents got one today. I'm assuming Desi Lydic can't/won't travel right now what with the new baby and everything.

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social
  • enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    Full Frontal and Last Week Tonight pick up writing for variety Emmy nominations (against Key & Peele, Inside Amy Schumer, and SNL).

Last Week Tonight gets an "Outstanding variety talk" nomination, Full Frontal gets snubbed.

Daily Show not nominated in either category after winning like the last 11.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    Magus` wrote: »
    It really sucks that the Colbert and pals Get Lucky video has been scrubbed from the internet. All I can find are low resolution poorly captured ones. It was on Hulu and the CC website but it's been removed with no reason given.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x12u56m_stephen-colbert-invite-hugh-laurie-et-matt-damon-a-danser-sur-get-lucky-des-daft-punk_news

Not HD, but not the worst resolution either.

Jragghen wrote: »
    Magus` wrote: »

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x12u56m_stephen-colbert-invite-hugh-laurie-et-matt-damon-a-danser-sur-get-lucky-des-daft-punk_news

Not HD, but not the worst resolution either.

that and Munchma Quchi are probably the two greatest moments in comedy history with regards to Colbert Report.

• PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
  • AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    Herman Cain.

now those were the good old days

OH MY GOD THE LATE SHOW WITH COLBERT.

OH MY GOD.

ITS GLORIOUS.

• Captain TragedyCaptain Tragedy Registered User regular
    "Stephen Colbert" has returned, and has brought The Word with him. It's pretty awesome.

"Stephen Colbert" has returned, and has brought The Word with him. It's pretty awesome.

and not just that

BUT HOW HE RETURNED.

OH MY GOD IT IS A GOLDEN MOMENT OF TV.