As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Excuse me while I whip this out...

• FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    I still want my Spaceballs: The Flamethrower. It's not just for kids!

• wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    I still love this scene

https://youtube.com/watch?v=L7QF32mxftE

Yes there is some very troubling language from Slim and the other actors but it wasn't written as hateful.

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    #pipe wrote: »
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    World War Z is a fun, if dumb and totally ridiculous, book that had the best audio book I've ever heard.

World War Z is a great book and it breaks my heart that that audiobook is abridged.

Apparently they went back and did an unabridged version of the audiobook when the film was made.

I need to actually get around to listening to it, as the parts that were taken out of the abridged version were mainly things that were actually specified as not being able to be recorded in the book.

I'm pretty sure the unabridged version is just the abridged version, with all the missing sections just read by a single narrator. None of the great character work.

edited June 2016
    And it cannot be overstated just how brilliant Harvey Korman was in Blazing Saddles

https://youtube.com/watch?v=KDm3zCvN4ao

wirehead26 on
  • PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    I didn't hate the world war Z movie, though I've never read the book

• HawkstoneHawkstone Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things. Somewhere outside of BarstowRegistered User regular
    Mel Brooks is now and shall always be a national treasure.....

That is all..

Inside of a dog...it's too dark to read.
  • Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular
    Men, you are about to embark on a great crusade to stamp out runaway decency in the west. Now you men will only be risking your lives, whilst I will be risking an almost certain Academy Award nomination for Best Supporting Actor.

This is still my favorite of his though:
    I want rustlers, cut throats, murderers, bounty hunters, desperados, mugs, pugs, thugs, nitwits, halfwits, dimwits, vipers, snipers, con men, Indian agents, Mexican bandits, muggers, buggerers, bushwhackers, hornswogglers, horse thieves, bull dykes, train robbers, bank robbers, ass-kickers, shit-kickers and Methodists.

• TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    To Be Or Not To Be was one of my favorite movies growing up. I watched it a ridiculous number of times.
    Which is kind of funny because that meant I heard the song Sweet Georgia Brown performed in Polish a couple dozen times before I ever knew it had English lyrics.

steam_sig.png
    edited June 2016
    Men, you are about to embark on a great crusade to stamp out runaway decency in the west. Now you men will only be risking your lives, whilst I will be risking an almost certain Academy Award nomination for Best Supporting Actor.

This is still my favorite of his though:
    I want rustlers, cut throats, murderers, bounty hunters, desperados, mugs, pugs, thugs, nitwits, halfwits, dimwits, vipers, snipers, con men, Indian agents, Mexican bandits, muggers, buggerers, bushwhackers, hornswogglers, horse thieves, bull dykes, train robbers, bank robbers, ass-kickers, shit-kickers and Methodists.

Repeat after me:

I

"I"

Your name

"Your name"

"under his breath" Schmucks

wirehead26 on
  • #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    Psykoma wrote: »
    I didn't hate the world war Z movie, though I've never read the book

The movie and the book are alike in literally name only. There is zero from the book in the movie. Not a damn thing.

edited June 2016
    And Kirk Douglas turns 100 this year.

Damn.

wirehead26 on
  • SnowbearSnowbear Registered User regular
    Madelaine Khan's "I'm So Tired" is a national treasure

8EVmPzM.jpg
  • HawkstoneHawkstone Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things. Somewhere outside of BarstowRegistered User regular
    Snowbear wrote: »
    Madelaine Khan's "I'm So Tired" is a national treasure

Not to gross anyone out, but that might be the first piece of media I can remember giving me "feelings".

Inside of a dog...it's too dark to read.
  • YukiraYukira Registered User regular
    Goose! wrote: »
    Mysst wrote: »
    Things I like to do: play chess, screw.

Well, let's play chess

Ghosted.

• ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    Can we get History of the World Part 2 please?

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    edited June 2016
    wirehead26 wrote: »
    I still love this scene

Yes there is some very troubling language from Slim and the other actors but it wasn't written as hateful.

Richard Pryor was one of the writers, too. He was supposed to also be Bart, but the studio refused. That woulda been crazy.

Goose! on
  • Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    edited June 2016
    Also, according to IMDB, Mel is apparently working an animated movie that is supposedly "loosely inspired" by Blazing Saddles called Blazing Samurai? He has an EP credit and voices a character

Goose! on
  • LTMLTM Bikes and BeardsRegistered User regular
    edited June 2016
    Snowbear wrote: »
    Madelaine Khan 's "I'm So Tired" is a national treasure

IMO

LTM on
  • ImperatorXXVImperatorXXV Registered User regular
    Blazing Saddles is a perfect comedy in my eyes and I can't stop laughing when I watch it. I'm sometimes dismayed when I show it to people and they don't understand that the language and jokes are not hateful or serious, but most people seem to get it. What a wonderful movie.

Mel Brooks has been behind some of my favorite movies and comedy in general. I learned at a very young age that this guys work was a great go-to for laughs and quality. Young Frankenstein and Blazing Saddles are top tier comedies.

r7r7a0.gif
  • SnowbearSnowbear Registered User regular
    There's a great documentary on Netflix with Mel Brook basically talking about his entire career that gives lots of insight to what was going on in mind as he was making these movies and all the professional and personal issues he had in the process

8EVmPzM.jpg
  • MugginsMuggins Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    Muggins on
    BdVvFJu.jpg
    hey satan...: thinkgeek amazon My post |
    Dick Shawn was amazing in The Producers

https://youtube.com/watch?v=c4ht5we3qzY

• DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    World War Z is a fun, if dumb and totally ridiculous, book that had the best audio book I've ever heard.

World War Z is a great book and it breaks my heart that that audiobook is abridged.

Apparently they went back and did an unabridged version of the audiobook when the film was made.

I need to actually get around to listening to it, as the parts that were taken out of the abridged version were mainly things that were actually specified as not being able to be recorded in the book.

I'm pretty sure the unabridged version is just the abridged version, with all the missing sections just read by a single narrator. None of the great character work.

Well that makes sense, as I said.

• OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    I never hear anyone talk about Silent Movie

But it's secretly my second favorite Mel Brooks movie

Nothing can top Young Frankenstein obviously, and Mel gives all the credit for that one to Gene Wilder

But Silent Movie... man

It's one long homage to a lost art of comedy and moviemaking and it's absolutely timeless and there's so many incredible gags in it

My personal favorite is Paul Newman ramping his wheelchair off the roof of a hospital at eighty miles an hour, makes me bust a gut every time

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • MugginsMuggins Registered User regular
    Silent Movie is incredible if only for the fact that he got away with making a silent film right after making a black and white one. It's also amazing and hilarious that he got Marcel Marceau, a famous mime, to actually speak the only line in it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwea0LZQe9k

BdVvFJu.jpg
    hey satan...: thinkgeek amazon My post |
  • TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Mel Brooks was a combat engineer in WW2.

steam_sig.png
  • MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    Now that I'm back home I can link this. Movie history right here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6dm9rN6oTs

Madican on
  • sponospono Mining for Nose Diamonds Booger CoveRegistered User regular
    Keep firing, Assholes!

640qocnq4ske.gif
  • OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    Veretas wrote: »
    Silent Movie is incredible if only for the fact that he got away with making a silent film right after making a black and white one. It's also amazing and hilarious that he got Marcel Marceau, a famous mime, to actually speak the only line in it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwea0LZQe9k

I want to say that this is the only movie Marcel Marceau ever spoke in

Ever

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • sponospono Mining for Nose Diamonds Booger CoveRegistered User regular
    I can't stop thinking about all of the great Richard Lewis lines in Men in Tights

"You changed it to latrine?"

"I have a mole?"

640qocnq4ske.gif
  • Lost CanuckLost Canuck World's Greatest Escape Artist Doctor Vundabar's Murder MachineRegistered User regular
    My name is... Frau Blucker.

QYW8SHm.jpg
    Nintendo Switch friend code: SW-4012-4821-3053
  • Lord PalingtonLord Palington he.him.his History-loving pal!Registered User regular
    His wrote the Zombie Survival Guide and subsequent books/movie.

I only like the first because it's a dry humor and no straight-up zombie stuff

His son, Max Brooks wrote it. Or wait, did you leave out the word son? I'm so confused

The unabridged version includes plenty of new voice talent, including Nathan Fillion as that one Canadian guy, as well as Masi Oka as the blind dude's apprentice, Common, Jeri Ryan, Martin Scorsese, Kal Penn, Alfred Molina, Simon Pegg, and a bunch of other people. It is really, really worth it!

SrUxdlb.jpg
  • NogsNogs Crap, crap, mega crap. Crap, crap, mega crap.Registered User regular
    one of my favorite lines from men in tights, still makes me laugh today:

I'm....guessing.

I guess no one's coming.

rotate.jpg
    PARKER, YOU'RE FIRED! <-- My comic book podcast! Satan look here!
  • Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    the poor ain't so bad

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• CorporateRedCorporateRed Wooooooo! Registered User regular
    Butters wrote: »
    Can we get History of the World Part 2 please?

For the longest time when I was a kid, I couldn't understand why the stupid video store never had part 2.

Steam ID: Corporate Red
    steam_sig.png
  • sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    edited June 2016
    If 2016 takes Mel Brooks I swear to fucking God, I'm blowing the planet up.

sarukun on
  • The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    One of my favorite Mel Brooks creations is one lots of people don't realize is his.

DonAdams.jpg

BLM - ACAB
  • JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    wirehead26 wrote: »
    I still love this scene

The whole point of the movie is how pervasive the "troubling language" is, and the attitudes it reflects. You'll also notice every white person in the movie is portrayed as stupid -- with the exceptions of the Waco Kid (the sidekick), Headey "that's Headley" Lamar (scheming villain), and Lilli Vøn Shtupp (love interest?)

The main drive of the movie is that racism, both the active and systemic variety, is backwards and counterproductive

It's also hilarious, which is why it's Mel's best movie

• JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    The Geek wrote: »
    One of my favorite Mel Brooks creations is one lots of people don't realize is his.

DonAdams.jpg

Most people also don't realize that Inspector Gadget was a cartoon version of Get Smart