As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Rimworld] 7 year olds can wield firearms. Biotech released!

• FiatilFiatil Registered User regular
    Hooray, prepare carefully and a lot of other significant mods from the mod pack are now updated. I thiiink I can make do without the interface mod for the time being. As has been said in the last few posts, the base interface is far from horrible. The UI mod just adds a few extra neat and very useful features.

• EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    So I picked this up.

My most recent game had me start right next to a big square building without an entrance. I knock a hole and discover six cryptosleep caskets inside. I open them, and out drops six slaves, four of them still alive.

I nurse the survivors back to health... and then they just wander off the map and disappear.

Should I have captured them instead of rescuing them to try to recruit them instead?

• TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    Echo wrote: »
    So I picked this up.

My most recent game had me start right next to a big square building without an entrance. I knock a hole and discover six cryptosleep caskets inside. I open them, and out drops six slaves, four of them still alive.

I nurse the survivors back to health... and then they just wander off the map and disappear.

Should I have captured them instead of rescuing them to try to recruit them instead?

Yeah I've noticed that too, if you capture them and imprison them, you can fill their head with propaganda about how great you are and why they should stick around. It is a real Misery type deal.

The people you rescued can still come back though, either as part of another colony or pirate group which is kind of cool, but still annoying that they left.

uNMAGLm.png Mon-Fri 8:30 PM CST - 11:30 PM CST
    edited April 2016
    New Alpha just hit yesterday! We are going to be getting steam access soon too by the looks of it! Dev blog link below about the features:
    http://ludeon.com/blog/

Patch Notes:
    Permadeath
    New permadeath mode. One save file, save on quit or autosave only, no take-backsies when something goes horribly, insanely, or laughably wrong. The way RimWorld was meant to be played.
    Relationships
    Colonist family and social relationship system / Social relationships with friends, rivals, family, chats, arguments, and fights
    Opinion system; pawns care about dozens of memories and situations to determine their opinions of each other
    Family members out to cousins and beyond
    Lovers, fiancees, marriages, ex-lovers, ex-spouses
    Lovin’
    People may get in social fights with those they dislike (even neutrals and enemies do this)
    Animal bonding
    People who leave the map while traveling, fleeing, being kidnapped, etc. can come back later as raiders, visitors, joiners, etc.
    Marriage ceremonies and parties
    Prison breaks
    Prison breaks. Prisoners pick the locks, get out, seek weapons and work as a group to escape.
    Infestations
    Self-reproducing, spreading underground insect hives
    Insect hives are dangerous but produce succulent insect jelly
    Animals and predators
    Many more animals, some of which will hunt people
    Some animals are now predators, including colony pets (e.g. cats catch squirrels)
    Animals can gnaw corpses apart directly now
    Threat response mode
    Decide how colonists should auto-respond to threats: flee, attack, or ignore?
    Economy
    ‘Components’ resource used for machinery and electronics
    Ground-traveling trade caravans from other factions
    Deeper research tree with more low-tech options and more things to research
    New fueled buildings: stove and generator
    Various new lower and higher-tech production buildings
    Two research tables: simple and hi-tech. Hi-tech is required for some projects.
    Misc
    New exotic infections: Gut worms, mechanite infections which give abilities at a cost of pain or fatigue, trauma savantism
    New chronic diseases: Carcinoma, asthma, hearing loss
    New “firefoam popper” provides a way to combat fire besides punching it.
    Character records which keep stats on each character like number of kills, injuries, surgeries, etc.
    Extreme desert biome
    Colonists in relationships can share beds
    New double bed; royal bed is now gold-trimmed and fancy
    New flatscreen and megascreen TVs
    Colonists can now visit sick people in bed to cheer them up
    Sick people in bed can now watch TV
    Building damage overlays
    Days are now twice as long as before, with years being half as many days. (This means that years are exactly as long as before in actual play time, just divided into a smaller number of longer days.)
    The year is now split into seasons instead of months.
    Animal kibble
    Deep rooms stay cool in the heat
    Richer tale recording and better art descriptions
    Hundreds of balance improvements, optimizations, tweaks and fixes

TheKoolEagle on
  • f3rretf3rret Registered User regular
    Where are you seeing that Steam will be "soon"?

steam_sig.png
    edited April 2016
    On the devblog he has a link to get the latest build sent to your email, that email includes a steam key spot, and a message that says don't be a dick and give this away/sell it. Any current owner of the game it sounds like will be getting a steam key in the near future, just not quite yet.

edit:
    Your Steam key(s):

TheKoolEagle (order #xxxxxxx): [out of keys, try tomorrow]

To use Steam keys, follow the instructions on Steam's support page.

Your Steam key is for you only, so please don't sell it or give it away. This isn't just against the game's license agreement; it amounts to stealing your copy of the game from us if you pass the key to someone who would have bought the game. We're voluntarily giving out Steam keys to make players's lives easier, so I hope you won't punish us for that.

TheKoolEagle on
    Oh nice! I never bought the game, because he made an announcement that anyone who bought before X date would get a key, and it was already after X date, so I figured I would wait for Steam release. Nice to know that it might be imminent!

steam_sig.png
  • Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular
    Yep, I've been waiting for the Steam release too. I've also been waiting for the game to be a little more "done", and last time I checked the devblog the developer was going on a long holiday, and didn't want to rush out the steam release before then when the game isn't quite "done enough". Basically, it sounds like he doesn't want Rimworld to become yet another half-finished Early Access game released before its really ready for public consumption, and I can respect that.

I was playing for quite awhile last night on a new Randy Random random embark colony on the second highest difficulty. He has been very kind to me so far, I've tamed 2 grizzly bears, a male and female. I am hoping I can make grizzly bears my main export.

One suggestion I do have for the devs is that I should definitely be able to install cybernetics into my bear companions because who doesn't want terminator bears?

Well, RIP Keaglehole. My downfall was rescuing a fleeing guy from raiders who I was merely recruiting to become my janitor. They sent 10 dudes with big guns and knives, they took down bear #1 and then took out a turret which killed 3 colonists.

whoops.

edited June 2016
    Good news everybody! Rimworld is coming to Steam on July 15th! All of you that have been holding out rejoice! Soon you too can watch your colonists be dismembered, kidnapped, and killed!
    https://ludeon.com/blog/2016/06/steam-release-on-july-15/

TheKoolEagle on
  • canuckontcanuckont Registered User regular
    Anyway I can get this now? Ive tried df but found it wayyyyyy to tough to pick up. This seems right down my alley

I saw a kid get handed a JB poster by who I presume was his parents outside my store today....he tore it in half infront of his horrified parents.....There's hope for our youth yet!
    edited June 2016
    If you want it on steam you're gunna have to wait til July 15th, otherwise you can buy it and play it right friggin now if you head over to http://rimworldgame.com , it costs $30 which it will also be on steam.

TheKoolEagle on
    edited June 2016
    Ahh, was just about to drop the hammer on this when I saw that you don't get a steam key if you buy before the 15th. I think I'll hold off, especially since it sounds like the Steam release will coincide with a major update anyway.

Anybody have any cool colonist stories to pass the time while I fantasize about potentially owning this some time soon?

Mr Ray on
    Can I get a Steam key for my version I bought years ago?

– Valve’s standard Steam distribution agreement does not allow us to sell Steam keys to a game that isn’t also up for sale on Steam. So, we can’t promise you’ll definitely get a Steam key, because that would be the same as selling Steam keys. (Note: This doesn’t apply if you bought the game on or before November 4, 2014. If you bought before that date, you will get a key when the game is released on Steam. The reason that date is special is because we used to promise Steam keys and that’s the date when Valve asked us to stop.)

so... I won't get a Steam key? Bought it early 2015.

• canuckontcanuckont Registered User regular
    Aw man... I'll wait for the steam release as I enjoy that delivery platform, I find 30 bucks is a very agreeable price

I saw a kid get handed a JB poster by who I presume was his parents outside my store today....he tore it in half infront of his horrified parents.....There's hope for our youth yet!
    Echo wrote: »
    – Valve’s standard Steam distribution agreement does not allow us to sell Steam keys to a game that isn’t also up for sale on Steam. So, we can’t promise you’ll definitely get a Steam key, because that would be the same as selling Steam keys. (Note: This doesn’t apply if you bought the game on or before November 4, 2014. If you bought before that date, you will get a key when the game is released on Steam. The reason that date is special is because we used to promise Steam keys and that’s the date when Valve asked us to stop.)

so... I won't get a Steam key? Bought it early 2015.

I don't think so. This is why I've held off on buying it too, I wanted it in my Steam Library.

steam_sig.png
    Its been a pretty grey area on that yeah, I'm hoping he just pulls out a 'yeah if you bought it from me direct you can transfer to steam' classy move, either way I won't be disappointed if I can't do that, having the game for the past year+ has made it worthwhile.

• SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    I am psyched to see this on steam. I got it a while ago direct from the guy but after the steam key promises stopped coming, so fingers crossed I'll get one anyway when it hits steam. It's really good.

• BasilBasil Registered User regular
    Rimworld is a lovely organ farm simulator. Among the finest.

9KmX8eN.jpg
    what I don't get is why m entire colony has to have a negative modifier because we took some guys lung, I mean how come they know what the psychopath did?

• BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    Similarly, I feel that my chef is not nearly quiet enough about the nature of these potato and mystery meat meals they prepare.

Come on people. Tact, employ some. The new hire we press ganged because he happened to survive his gunshot wounds and has a high-school education does not need to know that he's been eating his mates.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    Basil wrote: »
    Similarly, I feel that my chef is not nearly quiet enough about the nature of these potato and mystery meat meals they prepare.

Come on people. Tact, employ some. The new hire we press ganged because he happened to survive his gunshot wounds and has a high-school education does not need to know that he's been eating his mates.

Jesus Christ.
    I have to get this game now.

GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    egc6gp2emz1v.png
    Rimworld is definitely the best df-like game i've played to date, it is totally worth $30.

I should also give Toady around $100 one of these days for the amount of time I've sunk into dwarf fortress...

• HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Rimworld is definitely the best df-like game i've played to date, it is totally worth $30.

I should also give Toady around $100 one of these days for the amount of time I've sunk into dwarf fortress...

Part of me wants to give Toady a couple hundred for the time I've put in

Part of me wants to bill him thousands for the time he didn't put into the GUI

I forgot to make note of the next big feature thats being added in line with the Steam release, which is Scenarios! I've just copied the devblog about it for the details:
    The classic RimWorld experience is to survive with three crash-landed passengers – but the game isn’t limited to this any more. Now you can customize, trade, and randomize different scenarios. In each one, the starting conditions, items, characters, research, and persistent game rules are different.
    scenario_example
    For example, we have a scenario where you play as a lone rich guy out seeking adventure, trying to build a colony on his own. He starts with a lot of wealth and research, but is alone. Another scenario has you playing six lost tribespeople trying to build a new home. As a tribe, they start with less tech (though they do have some tech that the space people lack) and get research penalties when researching high-tech projects. However, they have advantages in numbers.
    Scenarios can also be randomized and manually edited. A random scenario might have a permanent toxic fallout, but start you with a pile of golden spears and ten pet bears, but not allow you to tame animals. You can edit that any way you like, write your own summary, description, and game start dialog. Here is a list of the editable scenario parts as they are now (we’ll likely add more):
    • Permanent version of all map conditions (eclipse, solar flare, etc).
    • Planetkiller: World is destroyed on X date.
    • Climate cycle which makes the world get warmer and cooler over a period of years. Winter is coming.
    • Disable building a given type of building.
    • Pawns start with health condition X.
    • Start with X items.
    • Map is scattered with X items.
    • Configure arrival method (pods or standing)
    • Starting pawns are all between ages X and Y
    • Pawns explode on death (configurable type and radius)
    • All pawns from source (game start/all) have trait X
    • Starting animal(s)
    • Disallow mining
    • Disallow hunting
    • Disallow taming
    • Disallow growing
    • Disable incident
    • Multiplier for any stat on the game (move speed, mining speed, etc)
    • Disallow building X

Scenarios are integrated with Steam Workshop, as are mods. Both can be easily uploaded from within the game, and you can subscribe or unsubscribe in the Workshop interface while playing – the mod and scenario lists will update in real time in-game.

I bolded the one I plan on using all the time.

RIMWORLD CAME OUT ON STEAM!

(And they sent me a key having bought it before!)

YAY!

STEAM GET!!!!

• UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    Playing this for the first time. It's pretty ok.

I got a really good team rolled for the first 3 settlers, everyone could do a little of everything, everyone had decent traits. We did pretty well getting established aside from some food shortages.

Then out of nowhere, this guy shows up:

ektaiih.png

A naked, obese, psychopathic 89 year old sheriff who is good at basically nothing but combat, and immediately starts getting pissy because others have better rooms than him. He is a joy to have around. He's thrown like 3 tantrums since he got here.

I will say it is pretty funny to send him out hunting with a pistol and just watch him rapid fire away at alpacas or whatever. A little more entertaining than hunting in Dwarf Fortress.

Also Gaston showed up, who is a 76 year old man with a buff build and what looks like pigtails? Or you could interpret it as like, flowing Fabio hair. He is the father of one of my starting settlers apparently. He has a passion for many skills and is pretty good at all of them, except he can't do dumb labor or firefighting, is a heat lover, and also a pyromaniac. Is that even random? No one sires like Gaston, builds big pyres like Gaston, as an arsonist no one starts fires like Gaston!

He started setting everything ablaze and destroyed some stuff that took a lot of resources to make and I'm not ashamed that I reloaded because I'm just learning this thing.

Oh yeah also my bedrooms butt up against a dark wall that my settlers got a premonition of an ancient danger from. I was curious so I saved and breached the wall. Yeah, everyone died. Won't be doing that just yet.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • ThendashThendash Registered User regular
    I bought RimWorld from the site after the "steam key date" but still received a Steam key. So that was super neat! Time to try out a tribal start, I really like the idea of starting with little/no tech.

• KonphujunKonphujun Illinois, USARegistered User regular
    This game makes some amazing stories, I'll say that. I decided to go with randy on my first steam copy playthrough and he threw 10 raiders at me within the first few hours. Luckily, one of my colonists was a pyromaniac and had started a fire a few hours before the attack that I hadn't noticed. Queue forest fire spreading all throughout the raiders (and my base, but that can be rebuilt) that managed to kill two of them and drive the rest off.

This game, man. This game.

Everything: Konphujun(#1458)
    edited July 2016
    I don't know if its because I'm coming from Dwarf Fortress and I've watched some Lets Plays so I already sort of knew what I was doing, but this game seems way too forgiving so far. I'm playing on "Rough" but so far it really isn't rough in the slightest. I've had raiders, but never a group larger than three, and one of the three is typically a useless idiot armed with little better than a pointy stick. I've only had to reload once, and that was when I found out that deadfall traps can be set off by your own colonists... as mine was, instantly killing the guy who set it up. Okay then, deadfall traps only go in places where people aren't going to walk, check. Lots of diseases, but I have two surgeons so they're a non-issue even without medicine.

Other than that its been pretty smooth sailing. After I'd dug a basic hovel for my starting three I decided to investigate the big steel structure to the south and found some cryo-pods inside. I of course decided to open them, because that's what you do when you find a pod full of god-knows-what on a random backwater planet. One brief firefight later and the one hostile occupant is dead, and the rest of the heavily injured space-soldiers are stuffed back in their pods to be dealt with later. Over the next few months I thawed them out one at a time, healed them, and assessed whether they'd be any use to the colony. Only one of them had skills in any useful combination, and she didn't particularly want to join us (1.5% chance to recruit apparently) so I just let her run off, naked into the wilderness. She was naked by choice mind you, having the "nudist" trait. Suit yourself lady!
    A naked, obese, psychopathic 89 year old sheriff who is good at basically nothing but combat, and immediately starts getting pissy because others have better rooms than him. He is a joy to have around. He's thrown like 3 tantrums since he got here.

My first volunteer was actually very similar! Shirtless and obese but not actually naked, lazy, jealous, volatile and refused to do any manual labor. Only really good for research, and we already had a researcher. He almost immediately begin hitting on the only female colonist who was already engaged to somebody else, and because of his sensitivity the rejection eventually gave him a mental break. The game probably should have just gone ahead and spawned this guy wearing a fedora because that's the mental image I was getting. His mental break took the form of wandering around outside (presumably ranting about how women never give "nice guys" a chance), which made him a sitting duck when pirates decided to attack. I sent my defacto leader out to arrest the poor idiot for his own good. He decided to resist and was promptly beaten to death. Good riddance. I've since managed to recruit two pirate survivors who have been much less of a pain in the arse than he was.

So yeah, I'm thinking I'm going to work towards building a ship and escaping since it feels like that's all that's left to do at this point, and for my next game I'm wondering if I should stick with Cassandra and up the difficulty, or switch to Randy, or both? With the scenarios system in the idea of a medieval start appeals to me; I like the idea of building a castle and then trying to survive waves of pirates armed with assault weapons using only swords and bows.

*edit* I'm seeing that this could be a bug; apparently certain events aren't firing as they should which could be making the game substantially easier than it was previously.

Mr Ray on
  • azhaisazhais Registered User regular
    randy random is by far the easiest of the storytellers. His encounters are purely based on colony wealth vs malice. Cassandra and Phoebe will both continue to ramp up challenges until you are wiped out basically, Phoebe just gives you longer between waves to prepare. The only real flaw with Randy is that he is purely random: I've had a raid come during a raid already, as well as two sieges at the same time (that one was funny however, since they were opposing factions and they ended up sieging each other)

steam_sig.png
    Alright, I guess I stick with Cassandra and just up the difficulty then. I suppose it doesn't help that I've chosen a nice temperate biome where I can grow food all year round and the wildlife is all fairly tame, maybe I'll go with a harsher environment next time.

• ThendashThendash Registered User regular
    Mr Ray wrote: »
    ...deadfall traps can be set off by your own colonists... as mine was, instantly killing the guy who set it up.
    Is that true? I kind of thought that would happen so I put them in choke points but with doors nearby so my colonists could bypass the trap. But then I observed a colonist move over one, so maybe it's only a chance? Is there a way to tell my colonists to not walk on them?

edited July 2016
    Its only a chance, they won't always trigger them, but I had them blocking the only way in or out of my base, so it was inevitable that somebody would set them off. Now I just have a few of them in an air vent in case anybody gets any funny ideas about sneaking around that way.

Mr Ray on
  • HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Mr Ray wrote: »
    I don't know if its because I'm coming from Dwarf Fortress and I've watched some Lets Plays so I already sort of knew what I was doing, but this game seems way too forgiving so far.
    Way too forgiving compared to Dwarf Fortress strikes me as more of a feature than a bug and I say that as someone who has played a couple thousand hours of Dwarf Fortress.

• UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    Yeah that was one of the biggest changes for me over Dwarf Fortress, I'm used to filling walking spaces with traps that my dwarves all know about and how to avoid them. Not so here, you end up with people blowing their own limbs off right after setting them up.

Seems like a lot of people do this sort of thing:

YzbOkeH.png

AI takes the easiest path in to your base, rather than trying to bust through two or three doors.

I successfully launched on my first game. I thought about restarting a few times as I learned about things I had done wrong but I kept going and refining things and yeah. I save scummed a little but not too much, just the most ridiculous things. I suffered through a couple pyromaniac sessions from Gaston, made sure people were around to put out the fires and it was manageable. People heal up way better than in Dwarf Fortress, they can survive a lot and be back to full strength quickly.

Toward the end I got sick of all the people getting upset all the time and made a huge ultra impressive/wealthy rec room with all the entertainment types and some tables and chairs for eating. Big circular room, well lit, enormous masterwork statues and potted plants. Made everyone happy pretty quickly.

The most entertaining thing was when enemies set up a siege and started pelting me with mortar shots, and I waited until they all went to sleep, and sent a bunch of my guys sneaking in to steal everything they had. Stole their mortars to set up as my own, and their shells, and all their food. Some more stuff got beamed in, seems like the game doesn't want the siege to stall but it was still hilarious.

As my last settler was sneaking out they all woke up and started shooting at her, she took a bullet but managed to get back to base. They got pissed and charged the base, I didn't have a complex setup at the time but just a wall with a door was enough...three of them stood at the door trying to break it down, while another guy threw grenades at the door, killing all his friends, which made grenade guy and the rest of them retreat.

NMItjIU.png

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
    I mainly play on Challenging "The way it was meant to be played" one, with Randy Random. I quite often get my entire settlement burnt down.