As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Is this [Love]?

• Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Solar wrote: »
    I hope the lady who thinks I look a bit like Jack Davenport messages me back. She looks fun and pretty (which I told her in my message).

She messaged me back!

this is addiction, isn't it

Nah, just modern socialization

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Well long may it continue!

• Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    I hope the lady who thinks I look a bit like Jack Davenport messages me back. She looks fun and pretty (which I told her in my message).

She messaged me back!

No its definitely an addiction. Be on your guard.

• Options
    Hacksaw wrote: »

She messaged me back!

No its definitely an addiction. Be on your guard.

(Hush now, I'm trying to enable)

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Uriel wrote: »
    I do not get how people don't understand that the underlying assumption when you message a person is that you think they're cute. Like it's a service where you click on headshots! Of course you think someone is at a minimum kind of cute!

Yeah.

Usually I've focused on interesting bits from their profile and try to avoid talking about myself unless they ask.

My problem isn't not knowing how to speak to people though I think.

I think maybe I have bad pictures?

It's not ideal but the least you can do is take a bunch of selfies until you get some that look nice. Or have a photoshoot with a roommate!

It's not like you need to be riding a tiger, you just need to give a good idea of what your best look looks like.

How do I tell if my photos look good?

My self esteem is too low to be able to tell.

I tend to throw out pictures of myself.

• Options
    edited June 2016
    I do not get how people don't understand that the underlying assumption when you message a person is that you think they're cute. Like it's a service where you click on headshots! Of course you think someone is at a minimum kind of cute!

Yeah.

Usually I've focused on interesting bits from their profile and try to avoid talking about myself unless they ask.

It's not ideal but the least you can do is take a bunch of selfies until you get some that look nice. Or have a photoshoot with a roommate!

It's not like you need to be riding a tiger, you just need to give a good idea of what your best look looks like.

If I'd ever seen a good non-professional photo of myself, I'd maybe have some tips for you. The only photos of me I like are my Senior Pictures, some pro shots from a wedding I was in, and a handful of "intentionally dumb" pics I've taken of myself that mostly obscure my face anyway.

OmnipotentBagel on
    cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    BillyIdleBillyIdle What does "katana" mean? It means "Japanese sword."Registered User regular
    If she doesn't text me today I'll probably pass on soccer.
    I'm good at keeping my emotions in check, but might need some time away from her.
    I'm not messed up from it, just kinda sad that "reverting back to dating to get to know me better" meant it's over and I'm ignoring you.

Plus my sunburn really hurts and I don't want to run a lot, haha.

PSN: BillyIdle_
  • Options
    tzeentchlingtzeentchling Doctor of Rocks OaklandRegistered User regular
    Peen wrote: »
    I never did online dating but I don't see how guys think leading with "ur hot we should mash bits lol" is ever, ever going to work. Like you could have gone with "you have a face and we have similar interests, can we get coffee?" and I feel like it would do at least as well.

I mean, maybe not for dating, but at least on gay aps that approach works about 75% of the time.

• Options
    builderr0rbuilderr0r Registered User regular
    edited June 2016

Yeah.

Hmm. I find that good lighting is helpful. Also, smiling? Or at least not looking mad. :P

@OmnipotentBagel Intentionally dumb pictures are fun!

builderr0r on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    If I smile my fucked up vampire bicuspid might show up!?

:bigfrown:

• Options
    LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    ???

• Options

I've got pointy biscupids too. I think they're cool though.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options

I've got pointy biscupids too. I think they're cool though.

The one on the right side of my face is low and forward, looks kinda like a fang if I smile too wide.

The rest of my teeth I am also super sensitive about too. I have a crack in one of my my incisors I've had since middle school for example.

• Options
    Thats just teeth mate, I have pointy teeth too. You're normal!

• Options
    Now if you intentionally sharpened them into points...

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options

Like this?

And I just tried to take a selfie of myself smiling.

Can't do it nope, too much shame.

• Options
    BillyIdleBillyIdle What does "katana" mean? It means "Japanese sword."Registered User regular

Um. Let's not bring me down here ok buddy???

PSN: BillyIdle_
  • Options

Like this?

And I just tried to take a selfie of myself smiling.

Can't do it nope, too much shame.

Oh, I can't smile for selfies, it always ends up looking suuuper unnatural. Pretty much forget how to smile like a human being any time a camera's around really. Only way it ever works is if someone says something funny or, like, I see a dog or something.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    How to make yourself look nice in a photo:

Take photos of youself, many photos. Smiling, nonsmiling, one from up here .... none from down there no one looks great looming ... just take a shitload of photos.

Look in the mirror and really observe that even if you've got low self esteem there is a continuum. Scrunch your chin into your neck and make a weird face looks worse than staring ahead neutral which looks worse than when you tilt your head at just so an angle. Take more photos.

Filter your photos, save only 1/10 maybe. Get a pal to filter further if you can, if not just sleep on them for a day and come back again the next day to give it a shot.

Remember that your goal isn't to make yourself think you look cute. It is to put forward the you that looks nicest. Get to the point where you're filtering in comparison to other photos rather than "do I love how I look"?

And like, basically everyone I've dated has said they think they look ugly and I have never dated anyone I didn't think was super cute. I think it's important to remember that your tastes are not the tastes of every person in the world. Some of them are gonna be into you. Someone's into basically all the types of people.

As for not looking weird when faking a smile, it's all in the eyes! Scrunch 'em up and you're going to have a much more natural looking smile.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    AngelinaAngelina Registered User regular
    I've started telling them they can call me Angie. I don't even like Angie, and it's not working either. I had a couple of pointy teeth and my dentist filed them down, I went home and cried. 10 years later and I'm still annoyed about me. I liked the pointy teeth!

11 shifts left.

• Options
    Angelina wrote: »
    I've started telling them they can call me Angie. I don't even like Angie, and it's not working either. I had a couple of pointy teeth and my dentist filed them down, I went home and cried. 10 years later and I'm still annoyed about me. I liked the pointy teeth!

11 shifts left.

So you can't say you're satisfied?

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular
    I'm pretty comfortable with selfies, but oh man do I ever get anxious about taking formal-ish photos, I just freeze up and it shows and then I hate looking at them after and ughhhhh

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Options
    AngelinaAngelina Registered User regular
    "Jun 29 4:32 pm

HI beautiful I like what I see text me *his phone number*"

Noooo. Also he's a brave man just giving out his phone number to randoms online.

• Options

Noooo. Also he's a brave man just giving out his phone number to randoms online.

Sounds like someone just requested a subscription to catfacts!

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    Didn't there used to be a service where you could have a celebrity leave you a voice message?

What about something like that... But it is a pro wrestler or an mma guy... And he just angrily dress down dudes who do that...

• Options

Or beefacts. @liiya ?

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options

Or beefacts. @liiya ?

~Beefact!~
    Did you know that bombus terrestris will sometimes sleep in closed flowers during early spring while they search for a nest? If they can't find somewhere else cosy at night the head of a crocus or daffodil may do as somewhere thats a few degrees warmer than the cold night air when the petals are closed! Then they pop out in the morning when the sun hits the petals and the flower opens up.
    ~Beefact!~
    4awcf7fiha7s.jpg

bee.jpg 176.7K
  • Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular
    Liiya wrote: »

Or beefacts. @liiya ?

~Beefact!~
    Did you know that bombus terrestris will sometimes sleep in closed flowers during early spring while they search for a nest? If they can't find somewhere else cosy at night the head of a crocus or daffodil may do as somewhere thats a few degrees warmer than the cold night air when the petals are closed! Then they pop out in the morning when the sun hits the petals and the flower opens up.
    ~Beefact!~
    4awcf7fiha7s.jpg

As much as bees and wasps and hornets terrify me this is kind of adorable?? Liiya, are you trying to hypnotize me into not being afraid of getting stung here, or

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    I was stung like 50 times by a swarm of wasps as a kid and so now anything with a stinger completely horrifies me

• Options
    Bugs are all the worst.

• Options
    Cello wrote: »

Or beefacts. @liiya ?

~Beefact!~
    ~Beefact!~
    4awcf7fiha7s.jpg

As much as bees and wasps and hornets terrify me this is kind of adorable?? Liiya, are you trying to hypnotize me into not being afraid of getting stung here, or

I hate wasps, but bees, bumblebees in particular, are gentle adorable giants. I like bees.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    Cello wrote: »

Or beefacts. @liiya ?

~Beefact!~
    ~Beefact!~
    4awcf7fiha7s.jpg

Bumble bees like above are actually pretty chill! There are lots in my parents garden right now buzzing about amongst the flowers, if you are gentle you can carefully stroke their furry backs when they are in a flower and do not mind at all! Bees are your friend.

• Options
    Crazy lady Liiya sitting in the garden stroking bees. Whispering sweet nothings to them.

• Options
    Crazy lady Liiya sitting in the garden stroking bees. Whispering sweet nothings to them.

(The last time I went to the park, I spent about 10 minutes watching the bees in the flower garden, idly chit-chatting... well, at them I suppose. They didn't really talk back.)

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options

(The last time I went to the park, I spent about 10 minutes watching the bees in the flower garden, idly chit-chatting... well, at them I suppose. They didn't really talk back.)

Its therapeutic! :D

• Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    i got stung by a bee when i was three years old at the great wall of china

haven't been stung by any bees since but i've never gone back, no sense risking it

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    edited June 2016
    Oh bees? I have bee news. My Dad has been working towards keeping bees since last autumn and this last Sunday he got some and moved them in!

gyxlwmzauo50.png

There was probably about 8-10000 in this box

b1knrschl7l0.jpg

so now there is a whole happy hive down behind the apple trees

Snicketysnick on
    7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    Good please help keep bees from dying thanks.

• Options
    I was stung a few times as a kid. The only one I really remember well is playing in a pile of leaves. Which, if a giant jumped onto me while I was chilling out in a dark, cool nap-hideout I'd probably be pretty upset too, so I really didn't blame him or her. I was a little nervous around leaf piles for a while, but eventually I got back to it. Despite that, I've never really been nervous around bees. I think because I knew they really only attack if they feel threatened.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    Bees, wasps, and hornets are absolutely vital to the health of their respective ecosystems.

I don't want to be anywhere near them, but they're still very important.

This discussion has been closed.