As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Would appreciate some feedback :3

Wilhelm_IIIWilhelm_III Registered User regular
So, I feel I am a little stuck trying to take this piece up to the level I want it at. I normally do very realistic rendering, recently I have been wanting to practice something more stylized with a looser rendering style to it. My first instinct is that it's too rough and I need to go in and render things out more, smooth transitions between the build up of colour layers, etc. I am also worried that certain things are just looking sloppy and not necessarily "stylized". And I am not sure if Zarya's weapon on the table is reading properly as having the points of contact that are holding it up being the front portion and the handle, and looking more like it's floating...
I don't know! Any and all constructive critiques are more than welcome on anything you notice!

72gs86f758m6.jpg

• IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    I can't really get behind the concept you have here. Zarya is awesome and buff, reducing her to tiny and making her body type a mech suit is mad gross, for a lot of reasons. You might not consider that a valid critique, but whatever, it should be said.

Do you have anything recent that you consider your realistic rendering? The stuff on your DA seems loose, but is also most of it is old.

Your lighting is really inconsistent, and her anatomy, aside from the first problem, is fairly off. You've got her stretched out like taffy, Her ribcage is oddly twisted towards us, but her shoulders and legs are straight on, her spine seems a bit broken and the calf closest to the view looks atrophied.

Your lighting seems like what you might get if you'd looked at alot of illustration and learned rendering tricks, but never really sat down to look at and study light. You've got her suit and the stool casting huge shadows, but her body may as well be globally illuminated. It has no real core shadows. It also seems like you are occasionally getting reflected light by accident, rather than really knowing what it is. Consistent, accurate lighting can take even super messy pieces into the realm of feeling tangible.

It's going to be hard to stylize your rendering without a better understanding of light, because light is all you are trying to capture with rendering.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3WmrWUEIJo

Your basics shapes don't terrible, but certain things like her eyes look flat and lazily constructed. The blotchy nature of your blending in large spaces is a little distracting as well, There are things that still have black outlines, things that have soft, messy edges that should be clean (like the sign behind her) and things that are overly sharp and perfect (all the text).

• Angel_of_BaconAngel_of_Bacon Moderator mod
    Iruka wrote: »
    I can't really get behind the concept you have here. Zarya is awesome and buff, reducing her to tiny and making her body type a mech suit is mad gross, for a lot of reasons. You might not consider that a valid critique, but whatever, it should be said.

Yeah, uh, literally dehumanizing someone based on their body shape, to highlight a more stereotypical favored body type, is pretty awful; it's so on the nose as a metaphor, that if I were charitable I could see it serving as an editorial illustration accompanying an essay critiquing that exact attitude.