As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Finding a Kids Toy (or something similar)

APODionysusAPODionysus Registered User regular
So my Nephew's first birthday is coming up. I of course want to get him awesome things. I know his parents like wooden toys for him and then I was watching the third episode of LRR's LoadingReadyLive and saw a toy that for some reason really spoke to me. But I have no idea how to FIND it. I'll link the video and the toy is at 32.15 ish

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oz3a-YGeN6I

Failing that... any other good suggestions? I know a lot of forumers are parents themselves

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Melissa and Doug stuff is really awesome stuff, IME.

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Melissa and Doug toys are (as a parent) I highly HIGHLY recommend to anyone for kids 5 and under

No batteries
    No sounds
    inexpensive
    durable

they are the perfect kids toy

• Options
    tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »
    Melissa and Doug toys are (as a parent) I highly HIGHLY recommend to anyone for kids 5 and under

No batteries
    No sounds
    inexpensive
    durable

Whoa, Whoa, Whoa, that's all well and good for you as the parent, but OP is the uncle.

When shopping for presents as the uncle, there are 2 questions to ask.

First will the kid enjoy this?
    Second when the kid is having a blast playing with the toy, will their parents remember I'm the one who gave it to them and want to have me murdered?

Sounds, Lights, Projectiles, these are all pluses. If there was a kid-safe version of a flash-bang grenade that'd be just about the ideal uncle gift.

Until that day comes though, my niece seems to like most the V-Tech stuff.

Such as this. https://www.amazon.com/VTech-KidiBeats-Kids-Drum-Set/dp/B007XVYSDE/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1467090110&sr=8-3&keywords=kid+drum+set
    81ZBy1SbHXL._SY355_.jpg

6ylyzxlir2dz.png
  • Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »

No batteries
    No sounds
    inexpensive
    durable

Whoa, Whoa, Whoa, that's all well and good for you as the parent, but OP is the uncle.

When shopping for presents as the uncle, there are 2 questions to ask.

First will the kid enjoy this?
    Second when the kid is having a blast playing with the toy, will their parents remember I'm the one who gave it to them and want to have me murdered?

Sounds, Lights, Projectiles, these are all pluses. If there was a kid-safe version of a flash-bang grenade that'd be just about the ideal uncle gift.

Until that day comes though, my niece seems to like most the V-Tech stuff.

Such as this. https://www.amazon.com/VTech-KidiBeats-Kids-Drum-Set/dp/B007XVYSDE/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1467090110&sr=8-3&keywords=kid+drum+set
    81ZBy1SbHXL._SY355_.jpg

I would kill a man for less.

On a more contributive note. I would bet anything that that "toy" puts out noise at way too high a decibel level. Honestly most toys that make noise do and it can damage the kids hearing in the long run.

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    GrobianGrobian What's on sale? Pliers!Registered User regular
    As a parent I'd much prefer a real drum (set) over a pretend plastic one that makes silly noises. If my son got that I would just throw it out after a day, no regrets at all.

The above hammer bench looks nice, I think that's a great gift. As for other ideas: It's never too early to start a kid on Lego (in the form of Duplo for a 1 year old) and that has countless possibilities.

Also these are everywhere here in Germany and super great, there's probably an equivalent in the US:
    big-bobby-car-classic-800001303_00.jpeg

• Options
    DjeetDjeet Registered User regular
    One things missing from the list by @Xaquin is "Not having a bunch of pieces", though I'd say wooden/floor puzzles are an exception at this age. Colorful wood blocks would also be an age-appropriate construction set.

• Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    Melissa and Doug Deluxe Pounding Bench

I'm afraid to google these words. I have a feeling there would be some NSFW products mixed in.

azith28 on
    Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    Melissa and Doug are ok, but my favorite wood toys for kids are definitely Hape or Plan Toys. Lines are a lot cleaner and they're just better designed.
    Even though it makes noise, I love this thing:
    https://www.amazon.com/Hape-Walk-Long-Hedgehog-Wooden/dp/B00IHZZHZ8

Such a satisfying clack-clack-clack

Though to be honest, we don't buy toys, as our kid generally prefers recyclables, sticks and rocks.

schuss on
  • Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
  • Options
    GrobianGrobian What's on sale? Pliers!Registered User regular
    schuss wrote: »
    Melissa and Doug are ok, but my favorite wood toys for kids are definitely Hape or Plan Toys. Lines are a lot cleaner and they're just better designed.
    Even though it makes noise, I love this thing:
    https://www.amazon.com/Hape-Walk-Long-Hedgehog-Wooden/dp/B00IHZZHZ8

Such a satisfying clack-clack-clack

Though to be honest, we don't buy toys, as our kid generally prefers recyclables, sticks and rocks.

We have the walk along crocodile (although the brand is named differently in Germany) and it's also very well made. It's one of two toys my son always requests to pull when he's walking down the street.

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Daughter has a big dollhouse from hape and it's nice aside from the stickers (floor, roof) are peeling a little.

The best part was how badly Grandma put it together. I had to basically completely disassemble and rebuild it. That was more on the grandma than the set though.

• Options
    Ken OKen O Registered User regular
    We have a lot of Melissa and Doug and my son likes them a lot.

The worst noisy toys are the ones that don't have an off switch. Someone bought my son a talking alphabet puzzle years ago. It has light sensors so that when you place the letter in it's place it says the name of the letter. Toddlers being a whirlwind of destruction this puzzle would often be on the floor with pieces missing. After everyone had already gone to bed I'd turn the lights off in the living room and then freak out as a robotic voice yelled out letters from behind me.

http://www.fingmonkey.com/
    Comics, Games, Booze